Ladies Dressy Shorts - Yay or Nay?

Do you believe that Dressy Shorts should be allowed in the MDR for ladies?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe that Dressy Shorts should be allowed in the MDR for ladies?

Actually, I think if they feel good that matters more. What you find appropriate is relative. Not everyone has the same opinion - and that's ok[emoji6]

If wearing it make you feel good go for it! But personally I would not be caught dead wearing it.

The OP asked for opinion and people gave it to her. The thing is the OP like the short, so why ask?

If wearing it make you feel good go for it! But personally I would not be caught dead wearing it.

The OP asked for opinion and people gave it to her. The thing is the OP like the short, so why ask?

I can't answer why she asked - she can probably answer that better. Yes, I agree, she did ask for opinions and I, too, gave one.😁 I never said others opinions were wrong as they are personal. Have a great day☺

It has nothing to do with having the body for it but rather what is appropriate for dinner in a MDR. These shorts, even in a supermodel, are not. They would be fine for daytime, but not dinner, unless the OP meant she would wear them to the buffet.

I'm just reporting what I have seen in real life and yes I do think body type makes a difference for outfits like this. Since I've seen them in dining rooms on many ships I can only guess the cruise line deems it appropriate. Personally I think it looks very nice.

As the OP said, the photo is of a model who is taller than the average female. On most people they won't seem so short. People wear short skirts in similar fabrics to the MDR, so I don't see why separating the legs into shorts instead of a skirt makes such a huge difference. I have more issues with the tank top than the shorts, personally.

There used to be a time (way back in recorded history) when people considered the people around them. They tried to do what the vast majority saw as the 'norm' of the day. It wasn't only about "me, me, me" back in those olden days. People had pride and manners and generally were considerate of the rest of others.

While some of us that are older than dirt :D personally remember those days, others far younger than us still think about the ambiance and setting and how they will contribute or detract from it.

Whomever wishes to display themselves in this way, if permitted to by the cruise line, might wish to give a moment's thought to behaving as adult and thinking about the fact they are out in public, sharing a space that for the most part has a rather free and open choice of clothing that is acceptable. Is there really a need to push the limit to the extent of wearing what almost everyone here agrees is not appropriate? Is it that important to defy the expected and accepted just because you think you might be able to get away with it?

I'm trying hard to not sound judgmental but actually am interested in the thought process that would prompt one to do that?

Thanks anyone who wishes to explain to me.

Edited by sail7seas

Actually, I think if they feel good that matters more. What you find appropriate is relative. Not everyone has the same opinion - and that's ok

No, everyone does not have the same opinion.

Yes, what I find appropriate is relative, relative to the cruise line's dress code.;)

We are not talking about generalities here, we are talking about a specific on the ship. Obviously, the cruise lines feel that something is or is not appropriate since most lines publish what is acceptable/appropriate as far as dressing.

On another thread, someone was asking about shorts in the MDR. Apparently, Carnival allows shorts but according to their guidelines, it states that only longer shorts are permitted.

I was on an NCL cruise and in one restaurant jeans were not permitted. I saw a young lady in trendy jeans turned away and, likewise, her friend in a jean skirt. I would venture to guess that both felt really good in their outfits but it didn't matter, NCL had guidelines and they stuck to them.

I'm trying hard to not sound judgmental but actually am interested in the thought process that would prompt one to do that?

Giant (sigh) here.

I suspect you'll get the old standards, "clothing doesn't make the man", "why worry about what others wear?", " how does what someone wears detracts from or adds to your dining experience?", "I'm on vacation", "times are changing", etc., etc. Another (sigh).

Has all your snow finally melted?;):)

Edited by iheartbda

There used to be a time (way back in recorded history) when people considered the people around them. They tried to do what the vast majority saw as the 'norm' of the day. It wasn't only about "me, me, me" back in those olden days. People had pride and manners and generally were considerate of the rest of others.

While some of us that are older than dirt :D personally remember those days, others far younger than us still think about the ambiance and setting and how they will contribute or detract from it.

Whomever wishes to display themselves in this way, if permitted to by the cruise line, might wish to give a moment's thought to behaving as adult and thinking about the fact they are out in public, sharing a space that for the most part has a rather free and open choice of clothing that is acceptable. Is there really a need to push the limit to the extent of wearing what almost everyone here agrees is not appropriate? Is it that important to defy the expected and accepted just because you think you might be able to get away with it?

The OP merely asked for opinions. And when most people (well, pretty much everyone) said the shorts weren't appropriate for the dining room, she said she would use them for embarkation day instead. Now you're accusing her of being "me, me, me", not behaving as an adult and defying the expected? Sounds pretty judgmental to me.

I would like to know the thought process of someone who insults people just for asking a question.

I think they are fine for embarkation on a more casual mass market line as long as the OP has the legs to look good in them. They will not be out of place in that situation, or in the buffet lunch, or for breakfast or lunch on any cruise line for that matter. I am glad that the OP took the advice that was offered, and wish her a great cruise.

PS--OP, I saw maxi's on sale for $9.99-$14.99 at TJ Maxx, JC Penney, and Old Navy last week. They are comfy and great for dinners and even shore excursions, and at that price you can't go wrong. :)

Did OP mention what cruise line? Because that certainly makes a difference.

I find it offensive that in 2015 people use the "Fall into what the accepted standard was 20 years ago" line. Like I said, I've seen women in similar outfits on all cruises that I can remember, so whether it is my taste or not is besides the fact; the cruise line clearly deems it acceptable and it is modern fashion, so hardly getting away with anything. I don't think anything about that outfit is pushing any limits at all. It's pretty much "run of the mill" to be honest. I think we've all certainly seen outfits that push way more limits. I could see why those of certain body types wouldn't want to wear an outfit so revealing, and that's fine too.

Now, it was Holland America or Princess, I'd say you would not blend with the crowd. But if it was NCL, Carnival, or Royal Caribbean, you would not be the only one dressed that way. Not by a long shot.

Our opinions should be book ended by the realities of vacationing in the 21st century and not imposing what we think others should act like or do to please us.

Did OP mention what cruise line? Because that certainly makes a difference.

I find it offensive that in 2015 people use the "Fall into what the accepted standard was 20 years ago" line. Like I said, I've seen women in similar outfits on all cruises that I can remember, so whether it is my taste or not is besides the fact; the cruise line clearly deems it acceptable and it is modern fashion, so hardly getting away with anything. I don't think anything about that outfit is pushing any limits at all. It's pretty much "run of the mill" to be honest. I think we've all certainly seen outfits that push way more limits. I could see why those of certain body types wouldn't want to wear an outfit so revealing, and that's fine too.

Now, it was Holland America or Princess, I'd say you would not blend with the crowd. But if it was NCL, Carnival, or Royal Caribbean, you would not be the only one dressed that way. Not by a long shot.

Our opinions should be book ended by the realities of vacationing in the 21st century and not imposing what we think others should act like or do to please us.

I agree with you, I too, think that line of reasoning is somewhat offensive, as styles change over the years, thank goodness!:D

The OP asked for opinions and mine is the shorts look like gym shorts. I don't think they are cute at all, and I don't think they look that great on the model. And if they don't look great on a gorgeous, thin, leggy model, I can't imagine what they would look like on the average person. However, that is my opinion, if the OP likes them and feels they look good on her, then she should wear them. But I do agree that she should consider the cruise line.

I think we women are very good at saying something is cute but expressing a different opinion when the person leaves the room.:D I was trying on clothes in a store once and could hear a woman's "friends" telling her how cute a dress was. When I saw her in the dress, it looked horrible but she bought it with her friends' encouragement :eek:

Sherri:)

Giant (sigh) here.

I suspect you'll get the old standards, "clothing doesn't make the man", "why worry about what others wear?", " how does what someone wears detracts from or adds to your dining experience?", "I'm on vacation", "times are changing", etc., etc. Another (sigh).

Has all your snow finally melted?;):)

:D You're right.

I wonder if those who are so 'pro shorts' would have worn long pants this winter in Boston? :D Yes.... it has melted, I have daffodils and tulips in bloom and the trees are flowering. Spring has sprung in Boston and it is VERY welcome this year.

I agree with you, I too, think that line of reasoning is somewhat offensive, as styles change over the years, thank goodness!:D

<snip>

Sherri:)

Yes, most certainly clothing styles have changed but it seems along with that our culture and society has greatly changed as well.

Whether the wearing of appropriate/inappropriate clothing is a me, me, me factor is debatable but I think most of us would agree we have become a me, me, me society.

All of my friends of roughly my same age have changed hugely with the times. We are not stuck back in the 60's, we wear current fashions as suitable for our ages and body type but we also consider what is expected. My late DH would never have attended a funeral without a jacket and tie. We still consider that respect and courtesy..... that is what seems to make the difference.

I know this is getting past the question of 'dressy shorts' (which the ones pictured clearly are not) and I'll end but hope I clarified my point a bit.

Thanks for those who took the time and energy to read this. :o

:D You're right.

I wonder if those who are so 'pro shorts' would have worn long pants this winter in Boston? :D Yes.... it has melted, I have daffodils and tulips in bloom and the trees are flowering. Spring has sprung in Boston and it is VERY welcome this year.

This makes no sense. Whether or not someone "pro shorts" wore long pants in the winter is irrelevant. These people are taking a cruise to the Caribbean, for crying out loud :rolleyes:

There will always be 3 groups: those who yearn for the "golden era" of cruisng and the rigid controls they had (clothes, dining), those who want to wear what they wear on land also on the ship and don't want/need to buy "cruise-specific" wear (if you never wear a suit, why buy one just for a cruise), and those who just sit back with the popcorn and watch the other 2 tear each other down because they really don't make what others are wearing/how much/little makeup someone has on something influence their cruise experience in any way.

P.S. I live in a winter ski town. Yes, people wear shorts out in the winter; some kids wear flip-flops… High school and college cheerleaders wear skirts as short as the OP's shorts in the winter at sports events...

;)

Edited by slidergirl

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with the question "should dressy shorts be allowed" is that there is not a definition for dressy. While some people may consider these to be dressy, others would not.

I personally do not find short shorts dressy. And the style of these is very much like an athletic running short, which, in my opinion, makes them even less dressy.

This makes no sense. Whether or not someone "pro shorts" wore long pants in the winter is irrelevant. These people are taking a cruise to the Caribbean, for crying out loud :rolleyes:

There will always be 3 groups: those who yearn for the "golden era" of cruisng and the rigid controls they had (clothes, dining), those who want to wear what they wear on land also on the ship and don't want/need to buy "cruise-specific" wear (if you never wear a suit, why buy one just for a cruise), and those who just sit back with the popcorn and watch the other 2 tear each other down because they really don't make what others are wearing/how much/little makeup someone has on something influence their cruise experience in any way.

P.S. I live in a winter ski town. Yes, people wear shorts out in the winter; some kids wear flip-flops… High school and college cheerleaders wear skirts as short as the OP's shorts in the winter at sports events...

;)

I am not a traditionalist who gives a hoot for formal night or gowns/tuxedos and the grand days of cruising. To assume otherwise would be woefully incorrect.

I have never volunteered to be clothes police but I know 'dressy' when I see it, I know tasteful and I know appropriate. The shorts the OP posted are fine for a day at the park or beach but not for dinner in a quasi formal dining room.

Nothing much can be said about someone who doesn't have sense enough to put on long pants if going out in 9' of snow and temperatures around 10 degrees F for days on end. If they think flip flops are fine, good for them. Dress in a ski lodge can be more than casual (though I realize can be quite pricey). Of course, price of clothing does not promise good taste or appropriateness.

My opinion has no more value than anyone else's but it also has no less.

Edited by sail7seas

• 2 weeks later...
I just bought this outfit and I was considering bringing it on my upcoming cruise to wear to dinner one of the non-formal nights (I have 2 cocktail dresses for those nights).

What are your thoughts on something like this for a non-formal night?

new_85_653_6679_026_08?cache=on&wid=640&fmt=jpeg&qlt=70,1&resmode=sharp2&op_usm=1,1,5,0&fit=fit,1

This outfit would be fine for daytime activities, but not for dinner in the MDR. I love the colors and print, and would love to have that in a bermuda length or capri.

I just bought this outfit and I was considering bringing it on my upcoming cruise to wear to dinner one of the non-formal nights (I have 2 cocktail dresses for those nights).

new_85_653_6679_026_08?cache=on&wid=640&fmt=jpeg&qlt=70,1&resmode=sharp2&op_usm=1,1,5,0&fit=fit,1

I don't like those particular shorts. and paired with the tank is too casual. However I would wear shorts to dinner that are dressed up. These are the looks that would work better unless there is a clear no shorts at all policy. However there are some skin tight short dresses that I've seen that look way less dressy than shorts

http://angelsstyle.tumblr.com/post/106146989064

Luckily for me that I'm not a 5'10 model!!! They're actually not as short on a normal gal. I'm a 5'6 size 4 and upsize because I don't like my shorts too fitted. On someone like me they come down a bit longer.

I also will not be wearing them with tank. I have a chiffon blouse and some cute flat strapped sandals which I will wear when I board in September [emoji8][emoji8][emoji8]

The shorts you pictured are look much too much like an athletic short with that cut. Even if they are baggier. They remind me too much of these.

k2-_b3915636-0b6b-427b-b39c-0fef0808db7b.v1.jpg

If you are going to wear a more casual item that I usually follow the rule of wearing three. We can wear jeans on Friday at work, but if I am going to wear jeans then that means I wear a jacket of some sort to pull the look together. See below as an example.

shorts-rachel-zoe.jpg

The shorts you pictured are look much too much like an athletic short with that cut. Even if they are baggier. They remind me too much of these.

k2-_b3915636-0b6b-427b-b39c-0fef0808db7b.v1.jpg

If you are going to wear a more casual item that I usually follow the rule of wearing three. We can wear jeans on Friday at work, but if I am going to wear jeans then that means I wear a jacket of some sort to pull the look together. See below as an example.

shorts-rachel-zoe.jpg

Those shorts are still too short. To me, that outfit, with the short-shorts and the stiletto platforms looks like something a hooker would wear. But then, I've seen women in the MDR in dresses that remind me of "hooker wear" :eek:

Those shorts are still too short. To me, that outfit, with the short-shorts and the stiletto platforms looks like something a hooker would wear. But then, I've seen women in the MDR in dresses that remind me of "hooker wear" :eek:

Wow, judge much? :rolleyes

This look is very on trend. Long shorts look like something my grandmother would wear. If you have long toned legs like the model and dress this up with a blazer, bag and shoes then it looks nothing like a hooker. Short shorts length alone does not equate hooker nor does it long short equate to stylish.

Me personally? I wouldn'y wear them, not my style of legwear due to my legs being chunky and shorts just to short for my taste. Other people would have a easier getting by in MDR but definitely not me. Now with the black top, if a person wears it with a black / blue or navy blazer or light cardigan, the people would think the shorts were a skirt - which is what dress shorts should come across as from a distance when done properly, like in nolatravelgirl's post:

shorts-rachel-zoe.jpg

Edited by maywell

I don't find the pair of shorts originally linked to be very dressy - despite the print, the cut of them is a little too athletic to read as anything other than casual to me. And I agree, the rest of the model's outfit is pretty casual. It's a cute outfit, but better suited for daywear. I wouldn't see any problem with dressier shorts in the dining room, generally speaking.