Has anyone cruised out of the new pier 27 in San Francisco ?

Shippy

No need to do a search. I have that information. The porters met us right where the taxi let us off. Very friendly and efficient. I tipped them $10. For 4 bags full.

Contrary to popular belief,the bags were not thrown in the ocean but appeared at our room by 4pm.

There was a wine table inside where I pre payed corkage fees

I sailed out of San Francisco on 2/27/15. The porters were quick & friendly.

I returned on 3/14. The bags were grouped by debarkation code (Gold 4 for me) in the customs shed. A porter appeared by my side the minute I stepped into the baggage area. I showed him my personal bag ID (orange & white ribbons on the carry-on). He found my large bag w/same ribbons in a flash. He was friendly & polite.

It couldn't have been easier!:)

... A porter appeared by my side the minute I stepped into the baggage area. I showed him my personal bag ID (orange & white ribbons on the carry-on). He found my large bag w/same ribbons in a flash. He was friendly & polite...

Did he expect a tip for locating your bags? I don't recall ever having this type of assistance at disembarkation before, in SF or anywhere, but I could be wrong. Most cruises I just recall having to wander around a sea of bags at the pier until I found mine.

Well....no, the OP does have a legitimate point. If one were to be left off at the CURB on the Embarcadero, there would be no porter to take the luggage. BUT PIER 27 has an entrance, directly OFF of the Embarcadero with a short drive right up to the Pier where you can drop off your family WITH your luggage and there are plenty of porters there to take your luggage. If you are planning on parking your car at one of the nearby parking facilities, you can drop your luggage off, leave them with the porter, and then park your car afterwards. All of this is off street and with plenty of places to pull over, not like Pier 35 used to be where everyone was dropped off with their luggage right on the Embarcadero causing terrible traffic and backups. It's much better now.

The problem with the porters was when they were basically on strike. That was back in December. Yes they were rude and demanded huge tips of $25 to $100 dollars. A pallet of luggage also went into the drink and departure was delayed by several hours. BUT now they are great. The labor disputes are long over. Porters will be there to great you right on the dock. BTW pier 27 is a beautiful pier that you can drive on and drop your bags and then go park. You can not park on the pier except for a few minutes . But long term parking is near. Pier 27 is a big improvement over the old pier 35.

I have heard that there are not porters to take your bags at the curb.

Does anyone know if this is true ?

thanks

Don't know who told you that, but we cruised out of there recently, and there are porters at the pier to take your luggage. Make sure you have your cabin luggage tags on it. We tipped the guy $2 per bag.

The only issue I see having sailed 3 times out of SF, the porters are crazy busy running around trying to see who needs help. You will always get a porter, but you just might have to put your hand up to get their attention. Otherwise you will have 3 ready to help you. Happy cruising!

Don't know who told you that, but we cruised out of there recently, and there are porters at the pier to take your luggage. Make sure you have your cabin luggage tags on it. We tipped the guy $2 per bag.

Well....no, the OP does have a legitimate point. If one were to be left off at the CURB on the Embarcadero, there would be no porter to take the luggage. BUT PIER 27 has an entrance, directly OFF of the Embarcadero with a short drive right up to the Pier where you can drop off your family WITH your luggage and there are plenty of porters there to take your luggage. If you are planning on parking your car at one of the nearby parking facilities, you can drop your luggage off, leave them with the porter, and then park your car afterwards. All of this is off street and with plenty of places to pull over, not like Pier 35 used to be where everyone was dropped off with their luggage right on the Embarcadero causing terrible traffic and backups. It's much better now.

See above....

Did he expect a tip for locating your bags? I don't recall ever having this type of assistance at disembarkation before, in SF or anywhere, but I could be wrong. Most cruises I just recall having to wander around a sea of bags at the pier until I found mine.

Yes, the porter expected a tip & I expected to give him one. He took both my big bag & my smaller carry-on and took them to the bus for me.

There were many porters helping many passengers.

In past years, I've had that kind of help after a cruise in other ports. I'm a senior w/mobility issues (use a cane); that probably gave the porter a clue that I needed help. [When my DH was alive, he hunted down the bags.]

There were a "sea of bags" but they were very well organized & the areas were well marked according to the luggage color codes from Princess.

At many ports porters are in the luggage claim area seeking to assist passengers with locating their bags and bringing them to a car, cab or bus.

At many ports porters are in the luggage claim area seeking to assist passengers with locating their bags and bringing them to a car, cab or bus.

I guess I've never really needed one so never noticed, and have been carrying off my own bags in recent years now that I no longer travel with formal wear.

An elderly family member of mine did have to wrestle with her own bags in L.A. recently after disembarking the Ruby. I was told that if I left my car unattended at the curb to go help her that I would get a ticket, and there were apparently no porters available in the baggage claim area. They all seemed to be helping the arriving pax curbside.

See above....

The OP never said which curb. You can't even stop at the curb to the entrance as the cops will tell you to keep moving. They direct you inside to drop off passengers and luggage. THERE ARE PORTERS where taxis and cars drop people off. I park at 55 Francisco and drag our luggage to where the porters are. Also, if you don't want to give your baggage to the porters, you can take them directly over to where the crew handles the luggage. Over to the left of the entrance. We've just given them to the porters, never had any trouble.

We have sailed out of S.F. before but at the old pier....35.

We plan to have my husband drop me & the luggage off at the new pier & then go to the parking garage.

I am older & would not be able to maneuver it myself so hoping the porters are right there.

Great new pier, big improvements over the last one. So many porters available, almost had to fight them off! lol...My DH is disabled and uses a cane so the porters were literally lining up to assist us!

It is customary to tip the porter... we usually get the assistance of a porter in San Francisco and most ports.