BVE questions

chloe45

I'm thinking about booking the $39 BVE for my nephew and his girl friend for our upcoming Golden Princess cruise out of San Fran and I have a couple of questions. We are within the 120 day window.

Do I contact my TA or Princess? I've read a few threads on the subject and there is conflicting information out there.

Does my DH and I have to also pay the $39/pp?

In what dining room is the luncheon held?

What is the typical menu? Is it the same as other embarkation lunches in the MDR?

I'm thinking about booking the $39 BVE for my nephew and his girl friend for our upcoming Golden Princess cruise out of San Fran and I have a couple of questions. We are within the 120 day window.

Do I contact my TA or Princess? I've read a few threads on the subject and there is conflicting information out there.

Does my DH and I have to also pay the $39/pp?

Hi - I can help with your first two questions: Unless something has changed since last November, you book directly with Princess. If you and your DH are passengers on the cruise, you do not pay the $39.

Your nephew and his girlfriend will be booked just like regular sailing passengers. Make sure the two reservation numbers (theirs and yours) are linked together - that is what allows you to get on the ship (along with them) when they get on before all the other passengers.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Yes call Princess direct. They can tell you of availability. When we did the BVE out of San Pedro the luncheon was held in the same dining room as boarding guests. We had the same menu that was available to everyone else except for the glass of wine. Not sure if that has changed in the last couple of years. They can also eat in any other venue on the ship that is open.

Yes call Princess direct. They can tell you of availability. When we did the BVE out of San Pedro the luncheon was held in the same dining room as boarding guests. We had the same menu that was available to everyone else except for the glass of wine. Not sure if that has changed in the last couple of years. They can also eat in any other venue on the ship that is open.

Well now you've got me thinking... We have an aft suite. It's probably the best cabin we've booked on Princess. Can we have our BVE lunch on our balcony? It would be great to be able to share the cabin with family even if it's for a short time.

Also, can BVE guests enjoy all the amenities of the ship for the duration of there stay i.e. swimming?

We just had our son as a guest on the BVE on our cruise last month.

Embarkation lunch menu plus a glass of wine.

Embarkation photo for everyone in your group.

Pretty sure they can swim if they want to.

BVE boards FIRST - IF you get there by 10:30 and the port personnel know what the heck the BVE is. When we did ours, only one person had a clue and we ended up sitting in the elite lounge for almost an hour until they started boarding the Elites/Suites. I asked the lady in charge of the area "when does BVE board?" and she said "they got on already":(:rolleyes:

Regulations limit the BVE to 50 guests for each sailing.

When you call, if your relatives don't already have an account with Princess, you will need name, address, DOB so the BVE rep can set up an account.

The $39 will be given back to your relatives (not you) if they book a cruise within 90 days.

They can buy Future Cruise Certificates while on the ship. If the rep isn't in his/her office, just have them complete the form and put it in the box.

Well now you've got me thinking... We have an aft suite. It's probably the best cabin we've booked on Princess. Can we have our BVE lunch on our balcony? It would be great to be able to share the cabin with family even if it's for a short time.

Also, can BVE guests enjoy all the amenities of the ship for the duration of there stay i.e. swimming?

I doubt that room service will answer that early and during the start of embarkation but I guess its possible.

They can use the amenities onboard yes.

In regards to your guest eating lunch on your suite balcony, the only thing I could think of is if you go up to the buffet or International Café and bring things back to your cabin. I'm not sure if you can order room service that early on embarkation day and even if you could, the menu is limited.

You can contact either your TA or Princess but I would go direct to Princess. There is basically no commission on this and it is time consuming for your TA to do. Just call Princess direct as those employees will be paid to do this.

In regards to your guest eating lunch on your suite balcony, the only thing I could think of is if you go up to the buffet or International Café and bring things back to your cabin. I'm not sure if you can order room service that early on embarkation day and even if you could, the menu is limited.

I know the BVE's get on early but they can stay up to 4 hours so the breakfast menu wouldn't be in play. I've never tried to order room service lunch on day of embarkation but I didn't think it was "not available".

I know the BVE's get on early but they can stay up to 4 hours so the breakfast menu wouldn't be in play. I've never tried to order room service lunch on day of embarkation but I didn't think it was "not available".

The BVE meal is at lunch time, 12 noon to 1:30 pm thus no breakfast. The BVE guests must be off the ship by 3 pm.

I don't think there is any room service on Embarkation day, ships just too busy but you could get food and probably take it to your stateroom but you would be on your own getting it to your room.

BVE guests can do anything a regular passenger does that's why they had to register with a Credit/Debit in case they decided to purchase anything.

Yes you eat in the same dinning as the other passengers eat. Be aware that the ships staff may try to direct you to the buffet.

I've also had my BVE friends bring on wine for me and no corkage fee.

I've done many BVE's so if you have any questions please ask.

Tom:)

You will be amazed how fast the time goes by on the BVE. Especially if your guests have never been on a cruise ship.

We did BVE in SFO. We were cruising and our DS ans DDIL who live in the East Bay drove us to the port so we treated them. It was great!

If it's still the same as when we did it below are some details (which others have stated, too):

- Book thru BVE dept at Princess

- Be sure your res and their BVE bookings are linked

- You board first (or if there's a wedding after the wedding party who boards first)

- The BVE people will have access to the ship and can do a provided guided tour or do on your own (we were on the Grand and had cruised on the CB the year prior so we knew our way around so we were the tour guides...)

- BVE people will disembark aroi d 3:30 so if you're there to board first they'll have around 4 hours on board with you

- Lunch is in the MDR and the regular menu including a glass of wine

- They'll take a group photo of you and them which they'll develop and bring to you while dining

- We were in an aft suite as well which we took our luggage to and showed them around but you'll likely want to spend your time out and about on the ship

It's a great time but bittersweet when they have to leave the ship - but once we sailed away we got over it... ;)

You will be amazed how fast the time goes by on the BVE. Especially if your guests have never been on a cruise ship.

This is so true! It's a lot of fun though.

The GF's best friend was ready to run down at the first announcement. She was scared that she'd be stuck on a late fall cruise to Mexico LOL!

I am aware of that and it is the reason for my question. Why only US ports and not others?

It could be security and immigration requirements for "visitors" who are not sailing are different in other countries.

For example, in Vancouver you exit Canadian territory and go through USA immigration to board the ship.

At the end of a BVE, the participants would have to go through Canadian immigration and customs. Possibly the staff for that is no longer available at 3:30 PM.

The BVE meal is at lunch time, 12 noon to 1:30 pm thus no breakfast. The BVE guests must be off the ship by 3 pm.

I don't think there is any room service on Embarkation day, ships just too busy but you could get food and probably take it to your stateroom but you would be on your own getting it to your room.

BVE guests can do anything a regular passenger does that's why they had to register with a Credit/Debit in case they decided to purchase anything.

Yes you eat in the same dinning as the other passengers eat. Be aware that the ships staff may try to direct you to the buffet.

I've also had my BVE friends bring on wine for me and no corkage fee.

I've done many BVE's so if you have any questions please ask.

Tom:)

If we want to pay for the BVE for our guests, can we request that the $39.00 each be put on our credit card??? I do realize they put their credit card on file for anything they might buy on board.

We just want to pay for their lunch, as it is the least we can do as a "thank you" for taking us to the port & then picking us up after our cruise.

Thanks for your help,

Grace

If we want to pay for the BVE for our guests, can we request that the $39.00 each be put on our credit card??? I do realize they put their credit card on file for anything they might buy on board.

We just want to pay for their lunch, as it is the least we can do as a "thank you" for taking us to the port & then picking us up after our cruise.

Thanks for your help,

Grace

Sure, you can pay for the BVE when booked. They'll access the Cruise Personalizer like any other passenger and put in their credit card info later.

Thanks for your help,

Grace

We did this for friends on our Regal cruise. I think I needed the full names of the BVE guests and their DOBs to do the initial booking, which was charged to our credit card. Then I gave our friends the Booking Number so they could complete the check-in information and give their credit card for any on-ship purchases.

We had to pick up our BVE photo at the Photo Center on the ship, so different ships must handle it in different ways. The photographer should know how the (free) included photo can be picked up by your guests.

Very helpful information about BVEs. Can someone book a BVE without knowing any other passengers on board? Is there somewhere on the Princess site where the BVE process and requirements are located? I have looked but haven't been able to find them.

Thanks for your help!

Mike