What time can we actually get on the ship?

bcparker

Please forgive me if this is a stupid question, but it's my very first cruise! I received an email this week from Princess stating that our check in time was 2:00 and we shouldn't come earlier because our room wouldn't be ready. We were wondering if we could come earlier anyway and just have lunch and explore the ship. We don't really need in our room. What do you think? Is that okay or do we really just need to wait until 2:00?

Thanks for the advice!

Princess has been sending out "do not arrive before..." emails for years. Don't worry, boarding does not being until all the cabins are ready. You didn't mention which port you're sailing out of, but generally you can arrive around 11 or 12, no matter what the email says (I have yet been told we've come too early).

When you first get to the port, you hand off your luggage to a porter (along with a tip). Hold on to your carry ons, which should have valuables such as cameras, medicines, jewelry, as well with anything you may need that afternoon (sunscreen for example) and make sure to keep your ID, any documents you may need as well as the credit card you'll be using at check in.

When you enter, you fill out a health form and then be directed to a line, usually depending on your assigned deck and loyalty level (as a first timer, you won't get any priority boarding, of course). At the check in desk, you'll present the credit card you'll want linked to your on board spending, get your cabin card and a group number for boarding based on your priority status (in other words, those with platinum or elite status will get priority boarding). At this point you'll go through the security check -- you hoist your carry ons onto the conveyor belt, take off metal, put coins in a container, that sort of thing (no taking off of shoes, though). Then you'll be directed to a place to wait until your group number is called.

At that point, you'll show your ID at the door and then go out into the boarding area in a line. A photography will take a photo of each family, etc. No charge to take the photo (you can view it later to see if you wish to purchase it). Then you'll get another special photo taken individually to be embedded into your cabin card. This is not optional. Then you can actually walk onto the ship. A drew member will look at your card and direct you to an elevator and tell you which deck to go to and which direction is your cabin You can go to your cabin then (note: on many lines, even at this point, you won't be able to, and have to wait until the PA announcement), unpack your carry ons if you wish, meet your cabin steward, explore the ship and even have lunch.

So you may already be fed by 2pm.

You won't have to do anything until the mandatory muster drill before sailaway

We have always ignored those. If we showed up at 11:30 or so we have rarely had to wait. Only once (sailing out of San Pedro) did we have to wait, and wait, and wait, and wait... Boarding was so slow that they had to push back the sail time and the muster drill by a good 45 minutes.

Reasons for late boarding, ship arrives late from last port. This happened to us in Vancouver. Ship was coming from Los Angeles and the seas were rough. Ship had to slow down. Other reason for late boarding would be a case of Noro on ship and they have to do an extra cleaning. They will not let you on the ship till the cleaning is done. In any case they will probably not start boarding till 11:30 or later.

We usually get to the port about 11:45, and being something to read " just in case". Sometimes Coast Guard inspections take hours, but we're usually on for a lunch in the MDR. I'd rave more about that lunch, but heard from friends on the way to Alaska that the menu had changed, and not for the better.p:(

We usually sail from Port Everglades in Florida on Princess and drive to the port. we usually arrive between 10 & 10:30 AM to obtain a parking spot from those getting off the ship. We are usually on the ship by noon and have lunch in the dining room. By 2pm the dining room is closed and the buffet is a zoo

Howard

Seattle and San Pedro are neck and neck for efficiency at getting people on board on the west coast; the one downside is that Seattle queues non-elite guests standing up outside prior to boarding, where San Pedro is seated and called by group with minimal standing around.

As I'm guessing you're not yet Elite, I'd suggest being prepared for a lot of standing if you arrive prior to 12:30.

Only time to pay attention to the late embarkation notice is if it's a last minute "Emergency" notice. There are times when a ship is required by the CDC to complete deep cleaning before passengers embark.

Generally, check-in starts at 10am and embarkation can start as early as 11:15am but more generally, at Noon. First to board are in-transit passengers followed by BVE (Bon Voyage Experience available in a few US ports), then Elite and Platinum passengers, and finally, general boarding.

Reasons for late boarding, ship arrives late from last port. This happened to us in Vancouver. Ship was coming from Los Angeles and the seas were rough. Ship had to slow down. Other reason for late boarding would be a case of Noro on ship and they have to do an extra cleaning. They will not let you on the ship till the cleaning is done. In any case they will probably not start boarding till 11:30 or later.

Yes, Noro is a killer for getting on board. Last November leaving San Pedro we were delayed by 6 plus hours. It was a little of a disaster. Not Princess fault but a disaster all the same. Must say it threw off the whole cruise with both passengers and crew never seeming to get into the grove.

If you get word of emergency late boarding, you want to listen.

Edited by madjohn
cant spell to save my life

Princess has been sending out "do not arrive before..." emails for years. Don't worry' date=' boarding does not being until all the cabins are ready. You didn't mention which port you're sailing out of, but generally you can arrive around 11 or 12, no matter what the email says (I have yet been told we've come too early).

When you first get to the port, you hand off your luggage to a porter (along with a tip). Hold on to your carry ons, which should have valuables such as cameras, medicines, jewelry, as well with anything you may need that afternoon (sunscreen for example) and make sure to keep your ID, any documents you may need as well as the credit card you'll be using at check in.

When you enter, you fill out a health form and then be directed to a line, usually depending on your assigned deck and loyalty level (as a first timer, you won't get any priority boarding, of course). At the check in desk, you'll present the credit card you'll want linked to your on board spending, get your cabin card and a group number for boarding based on your priority status (in other words, those with platinum or elite status will get priority boarding). At this point you'll go through the security check -- you hoist your carry ons onto the conveyor belt, take off metal, put coins in a container, that sort of thing (no taking off of shoes, though). Then you'll be directed to a place to wait until your group number is called.

At that point, you'll show your ID at the door and then go out into the boarding area in a line. A photography will take a photo of each family, etc. No charge to take the photo (you can view it later to see if you wish to purchase it). Then you'll get another special photo taken individually to be embedded into your cabin card. This is not optional. Then you can actually walk onto the ship. A drew member will look at your card and direct you to an elevator and tell you which deck to go to and which direction is your cabin You can go to your cabin then (note: on many lines, even at this point, you won't be able to, and have to wait until the PA announcement), unpack your carry ons if you wish, meet your cabin steward, explore the ship and even have lunch.

So you may already be fed by 2pm.

You won't have to do anything until the mandatory muster drill before sailaway[/quote']

Also keep any prescribed medication in your carry on! I carry a spare set in the checked case, and the in-use set with me in my handbag-never had a problem worse than finding a drink to swallow a tablet.

Enjoy your cruise

Crochetcruise :cool:

Only time to pay attention to the late embarkation notice is if it's a last minute "Emergency" notice. There are times when a ship is required by the CDC to complete deep cleaning before passengers embark.

Generally, check-in starts at 10am and embarkation can start as early as 11:15am but more generally, at Noon. First to board are in-transit passengers followed by BVE (Bon Voyage Experience available in a few US ports), then Elite and Platinum passengers, and finally, general boarding.

I agree. :)

Seattle and San Pedro are neck and neck for efficiency at getting people on board on the west coast.

Did you mean inefficiency? :) They had quite the bottleneck at the "let me take your picture for your cruise card" station(s) when we boarded last year, and it lasted from 12 to 3. Princess works hard to create lots of snake space so they can bottle them up for that chokepoint, IMHO.

My suggestion for Seattle breaks into three options:

1) "Phone a friend" and have them do a Bon Voyage Experience with you for $39. That gets you an express pass onto the ship, since your friend has to leave by 3pm. I could easily be convinced to be your friend if you're sailing on the Ruby (and I'll pay the $39 too), if it works with my schedule. ;)

2) Get there early, like 10:45 or 11:00, and be ready to wait until they open the floodgates. You'll be on by 12, and you can go enjoy lunch in a MDR.

3) Get there "late", like 2:30 or 3:00, and you'll get to jog through the line.

Actually it sounds like the normal "do not arrive" email in this case and not a same day notice for a noro cleaning or late arrival (since Princess doesn't have a crystal ball to tell them if a ship would be late).

I have the same question for our cruise. We're on the Island Princess on it's first cruise coming off its drydock in Venice. We board this Friday and sail the following day. I haven't received any specific emails regarding boarding, but the cruise documents state that check in will be between 1-4 pm. Since there should be no "turnaround" frenzy, is 1 pm the earliest to show up, or could we get there 10-11ish.

Ed