Can you pay someone else's gratuities?

We have 5 rooms booked. I have set up each room with their own credit card for on board expenses. Is there a way that I can pay just the gratuities for all the rooms, but the other expenses would come out of each individual credit card of each room? Can I do it on board at guest services and just request my card be used for these amounts only?

We have 5 rooms booked. I have set up each room with their own credit card for on board expenses. Is there a way that I can pay just the gratuities for all the rooms, but the other expenses would come out of each individual credit card of each room? Can I do it on board at guest services and just request my card be used for these amounts only?

I don't know if you can pay someone else's gratuities onboard. You can talk to Guest Services abiut that.

However, if you know the booking numbers, you can prepay gratuties by calling whoever booked the cruises.

FWIW, I used to do this for my brother and his wife. I would pay for the cruise, but wanted him to pay for his expenses, with me covering the tips.

Guest services would take care of it. Now, I just pay for everything. He's good about not taking advantage, so I do it online when the cruise documentation is filled out. The one advantage about doing it on board is you can use any OBC to help defray the costs.

BTW I am no longer accepting applications for being my brother. ;-)

Edited by Cigar King

I booked all 5 rooms for my family. They were paid for using the same credit card, mine. When setting up expense accounts I used my adult children's cards so they could be free to get drinks etc. on their on dime. The gratuities were not paid in advance. I'm assuming each room will be charged for the gratuities on each separate card, but I already agreed to pay this for all. On previous cruises I've seen small credits for each room that I think were from a difference in dock fees after the fact. I'd like to wait until on board to pay all the gratuties minus any credits we get for dock fees. Is this something that guest services would do if I requested it the last cruise day? Previous cruises my kids weren't drinking yet or spending so this never came up. We just paid for everything.

No problem calling anytime before the cruise and pre-paying gratuities. I've done this for the extra two rooms linked as part of our trip. Each person in all rooms have their own CC on file for incidentals and shore excursions, but I covered the cruise itself, gratuities, and the drink package.

• 3 months later...
You can call them now, and pay everyone's tips in advance.....no worries...they will gladly accept your money.

I booked and paid for my cruise through BJ's. Would I call them and prepay my gratuities or would I call RC directly?

I booked and paid for my cruise through BJ's. Would I call them and prepay my gratuities or would I call RC directly?

You can call BJ's travel, who you booked through, and have them add the prepaid gratuities to each of the reservations. If you are past final payment, which it sounds like you are, the prepaid gratuities will be charged and need to be settled with a credit card immediately. So you can specify to pay the gratuities with your credit card when you talk to them. They should be able to handle that for you. Make sure that once they charge you for the gratuities that you ask them for an updated invoice for each reservation showing that they have been paid... always good to keep that with your documentation when you board (just in case gratuities mysteriously appear somewhere on someone's bill).

My parents are taking my family and my brother's family next year and they have offered to pay our gratuities, so I called and added it to the initial reservations and they sent me an updated invoice showing the charge.

You should be able to do this up to the week before sailing, even if you are past final payment. Royal Caribbean prefers you prepay the gratuities so they do try to make it easy for passengers to do that up to the time of the cruise.

I love the title of this thread and I was going to volunteer if you wanted to pay my gratuities too, but it seems like I am at the back of the line. I have both pre-paid gratuities for others and also paid while on board. Your TA should be able to coordinate that for you if you want to pay before the cruise.