Dawn ran aground while leaving Bermuda?

alligeek

The official statement from NCL regarding the Dawn aground:

Quote: "On Tuesday, May 19th at approximately 5:00 pm ET, Norwegian Dawn temporarily lost power as the ship was departing King’s Wharf, Bermuda. The ship’s propulsion was affected and, at which time, the vessel made contact with the channel bed. All guests and crew are safe.

The ship has full power and onboard services continue as scheduled.

The ship’s team is currently assessing the situation and we will provide more information as it becomes available." End of quote.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sm9j51

Edited by TrumpyNor

Not much to be seen on the Port Bermuda Webcam. The Dawn is blocked behind part of the building where the camera is mounted, so we can't see anything that way.

It sounds like everyone is fine on the Dawn, so that's good at least. Hopefully she's not damaged.

DD is onboard Texted her but no answer yet. Just talked to her about 1 hr ago so just happened.

Told her I will never cruise with her.. She was on the Gem when Sandy hit and they could not get back to NY. Ended up extra days at sea and docked in Boston

First, I'm glad there have been no reported injuries and everyone is OK.

I'm chuckling because I'm a former U.S.Navy sailor. My time at sea goes back 40 some odd years ago before global positioning satellites and the ship was commanded by the Caption on the bridge, the navigator. We used maps and depth finders. The ship's wheel manned by an enlisted man.

Two years ago on the Epic I was privileged to be invited for a tour of the bridge. The Captain gave the tour and explained that the ship was steered by a toggle switch, not a ship's wheel. They had a small one on deck but it more symbolic than functional.

He also told us there in no "Caption" in charge of the bridge. A story was related to us of a small plane flying over the Everglades preparing to land. The pilot hit the switch to lower the landing gear and it did not light up signaling the gear was down and locked. All three occupants, pilot included, focused on the unlit bulb. The gear was down, the light bulb was burned out, and the plane crashed. Since that time NCL has had no one in charge of the bridge. Every officer is in charge and free to question the actions of any other officer.

Now I hear this story of the Dawn running aground. It's not the Captian's fault. It is the fault of every officer on the bridge at the time.

Hopefully everyone will wait to sign any releases even if they were not injured. NCL may come back with a free future cruise as was offered to us by another cruise line when a hurricane hit NOLA and the ship was used for resident housing. We accepted a one hundred dollar refund in addition to cruise fare. A month later free cruises plus a refund were being offered to those who did not accept the initial offer.

I'm running long, thanks for reading.

Edited by KaralotStables
Clarification.

Where the Dawn is sitting, the channel takes a hard turn to starboard to go around the reef there - you can see them all around as you (hopefully) sail through. As far as I know, there is always a pilot coming/going to Bermuda, and the channel is marked with buoys, so it's not a casual error. In any event, somebody goin' to have a lot of 'splainin" to do... :(

Quote: "On Tuesday, May 19th at approximately 5:00 pm ET, Norwegian Dawn temporarily lost power as the ship was departing King’s Wharf, Bermuda. The ship’s propulsion was affected and, at which time, the vessel made contact with the channel bed. All guests and crew are safe.

The ship’s team is currently assessing the situation and we will provide more information as it becomes available." End of quote.

Thanks for that info, TrumpyNor.

Hopefully with high tide coming in, she will be able to be underway again.

Safe sailing to everyone on board.

The ship is in view from the North Shore and is in what they consider the North Channel (off of Bermuda and in the normal departure/arrival path). I watched one of the tugs head out to help and what I do know is that the next high tide will be at 10:34pm. If I find out some more information that isn't posted, I'll update.

Where the Dawn is sitting, the channel takes a hard turn to starboard to go around the reef there - you can see them all around as you (hopefully) sail through. As far as I know, there is always a pilot coming/going to Bermuda, and the channel is marked with buoys, so it's not a casual error. In any event, somebody goin' to have a lot of 'splainin" to do... :(

I'm certain there was a pilot onboard...looks like they had a power loss, and it caused propulsion problems.

Time to empty the ballast tanks.... Remember years ago the Royal Majesty with Majesty Cruise line (became Norwegian Majesty under NCL) grounded off of Bermuda.

Edited by coaster

I'm certain there was a pilot onboard...looks like they had a power loss, and it caused propulsion problems.

Yes there is a Bermuda pilot onboard. The Bermuda pilot would board before departure from the port and leave the ship near St George.

Time to empty the ballast tanks.... Remember years ago the Royal Majesty with Majesty Cruise line (became Norwegian Majesty under NCL) grounded off of Bermuda.

Actually it was the Crown that ran aground going in to Hamilton.

Thanks for that.

Was that Faithful going out just now ? I missed it.

FAITHFUL is in one of the US east coast shipyards for drydock. POWERFUL will be out and if needed the EDWARD STOWE can be called out.

Thank you for saving time for me to go and search Norwegian's site.

Hope all be well.

Looks like it happened when the the Dawn temporarily lost power which caused the vessel to lose propulsion and the ship then made contact with the channel bed.

Dawn lost power on two different cruise's with us onboard .

It was totally weird .

Edited by biker@sea

Bermuda is one of the most difficult ports to navigate into. It requires a zig- zag course and is only done during daylight.

You can see the reefs right up against the ship when you enter and leave the island miles off shore. Check out the island on google earth and you can see the shallows extending,

That's the cause of so many ship wrecks around the "Bermuda triangle".

There is a dredging plan required to support the new Anthem of the Seas.

Love this island and hope this ends well for everyone.