Dawn ran aground while leaving Bermuda?

alligeek

I'm certain there was a pilot onboard...looks like they had a power loss, and it caused propulsion problems.

Let's hope so. That channel is well marked and they do this every week. If there wasn't a mechanical failure of some sort, someone really messed up.

FAITHFUL is in one of the US east coast shipyards for drydock. POWERFUL will be out and if needed the EDWARD STOWE can be called out.

Thank you for the update on the tugs, Topsham!

And thanks to Watsons Aunt's post about channel 7 news. Of course I missed it and Jeopardy is on now.

Everyone on board Dawn, enjoy the sunset, have a few cocktails and think of the memories you will have :)

And thanks to Watsons Aunt's post about channel 7 news. Of course I missed it and Jeopardy is on now.

Everyone on board Dawn, enjoy the sunset, have a few cocktails and think of the memories you will have :)

As long as everyone stays well, it will be an adventure they can talk about for years!

So if the powers that be decided that passengers have to leave ship, do they send another ship or fly them home. And if it's fly them is it a problem for those without a passport and only a birth certificate?

http://www.whdh.com

Click breaking news to see the video replay of the news report.

Scroll down the page to find 'breaking news'.

First, I'm glad there have been no reported injuries and everyone is OK.

I'm chuckling because I'm a former U.S.Navy sailor. My time at sea goes back 40 some odd years ago before global positioning satellites and the ship was commanded by the Caption on the bridge, the navigator. We used maps and depth finders. The ship's wheel manned by an enlisted man.

Two years ago on the Epic I was privileged to be invited for a tour of the bridge. The Captain gave the tour and explained that the ship was steered by a toggle switch, not a ship's wheel. They had a small one on deck but it more symbolic than functional.

He also told us there in no "Caption" in charge of the bridge. A story was related to us of a small plane flying over the Everglades preparing to land. The pilot hit the switch to lower the landing gear and it did not light up signaling the gear was down and locked. All three occupants, pilot included, focused on the unlit bulb. The gear was down, the light bulb was burned out, and the plane crashed. Since that time NCL has had no one in charge of the bridge. Every officer is in charge and free to question the actions of any other officer.

Now I hear this story of the Dawn running aground. It's not the Captian's fault. It is the fault of every officer on the bridge at the time.

Hopefully everyone will wait to sign any releases even if they were not injured. NCL may come back with a free future cruise as was offered to us by another cruise line when a hurricane hit NOLA and the ship was used for resident housing. We accepted a one hundred dollar refund in addition to cruise fare. A month later free cruises plus a refund were being offered to those who did not accept the initial offer.

I'm running long, thanks for reading.

Beg to differ with the line "it's not the Captains fault." Officers may delegate authority, but they cannot delegate responsibility! Not even when the pilot onboard screws up.

http://www.whdh.com

Scroll down the page to find "Breaking News".

There is video of the news report from Channel 7 News.

Edited by sail7seas

no downer here, we actually loved the cruise we were on where we lost power, it was an adventure. We are travelers not tourists, we take what comes and make the best of it. We loved unexpected, extra days we spent in puerto rico.

I would caution you not to assume what others feelings are, at no point did i say i was upset. Just reporting the facts in a tongue in cheek manner.

Lighten up

We were on the Dawn this week last year and the year before. I know a few people that are booked for this Friday... safe travels to all aboard

Coulda swore you were on the Dawn just this past Oct as well :D:D:D

FAITHFUL is in one of the US east coast shipyards for drydock. POWERFUL will be out and if needed the EDWARD STOWE can be called out.

Yes--thank you for the update. For some reason, I thought the tugs were pretty cool.

I'm glad that the ship and passengers seem to be ok, but I also agree with the poster who said, "Poor reef." :( While I love cruising to Bermuda, I do worry about what's going on with the reefs and what the cruise industry has done (and will continue to do) to them.

Dawn lost power on two different cruise's with us onboard . It was totally weird .

Can't make this stuff up, even when Fox News mentioned it first. It must be okay for a modern cruise ship, with a previous history of such failure, to not considered having (extra) backup power systems added - for redundancy - even, if the maritime authorities find it to be sea worthy. Where is Cheng and others, to offer an explanation to all the lay person hovering here.

Glad to read continuous reporting that passengers and crew are safe and perhaps they can get underway in the morning with high tide again (around 10 AM) Next, it is going to have do a full high-speed run back to Boston after losing as much as 18 hours at its typical cruise speed (over 300 nautical miles, roughly)

The Breakaway is on her way toward Bermuda and due to arrive Wednesday morning.

Andy Stuart is a very busy COO showing his hands-on skills and perfect timing for FDR, the annual NCLH stockholder's meeting tomorrow, May 20th. @ 09:00 .... hmmm. Time to activate that pre-crisis management plan.

Edited by mking8288

Beg to differ with the line "it's not the Captains fault." Officers may delegate authority, but they cannot delegate responsibility! Not even when the pilot onboard screws up.

As it was explained to me two years ago by the Captain on the Epic, every officer on the bridge is responsible for holding other officers accountable. What I had hoped to infer, as with my Navy days, there no shout out "Captain is on the bridge".

CPT Trips, you were not there and I vividly remember this conversation. I was enthralled by this unusual protocol. The bridge tour was a highlight of the trip.

Here is what it looks like from the air when a cruise ship grounds in The Crescent, North Channel, Bermuda.

REINA DEL PACIFICO went aground departing Bermuda in 1957. She was aground for six days before refloated. Whole family went out in dad's boat to watch. She ship sailed for Liverpool and then made one further voyage to South America before scrapped. Beautiful ship.

From ABC News -

The Norwegian Dawn cruise ship with more than 3,700 people on board ran aground in Bermuda this afternoon after the vessel temporarily lost power as the ship was departing, cruise line officials and the U.S. Coast Guard said.

The ship -- with 2,675 passengers and 1,062 crew members -- was departing King's Wharf, Bermuda, when it lost power, officials said.

"The ship's propulsion was affected and, at which time, the vessel made contact with the channel bed. All guests and crew are safe," Norwegian Cruise Line said in a statement. "The ship has full power and onboard services continue as scheduled."

"The ship's team is currently assessing the situation and we will provide more information as it becomes available," the cruise line added.

Passengers aboard the ship confirmed to ABC News that the boat has power and activities on board are going on as normal.

The Coast Guard received a report that the Norwegian Dawn had run aground, a Coast Guard official said, noting that there were no injuries and no reports of gas fuel leakage.

A tug boat and drivers are on their way to assess the situation, the Coast Guard official said.

Passengers told ABC News a tugboat could be seen approaching the ship.

The ship originated in Boston, ABC's Boston affiliate WCVB reported.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/norwegian-dawn-cruise-ship-runs-aground-bermuda/story?id=31160571

Curious about something.. just say, God forbid, the ship wasn't able to sail due to damage (which luckily here, doesn't seem to be the case) How would NCL handle this? Use life boats to get pax back to Bermuda, but than what? Is NCL responsible to put all pax up in a hotel? Fly them all home on NCL's dime? Or would the pax be responsible?