Dawn ran aground while leaving Bermuda?

alligeek

Lifeboat had BA's crew on it. They set up a welcome to Bermuda place that would normally be at Heritage Wharf.

(As done when she is docked)

Should be an interesting day at the Royal Navy Dockyard today.

Edited by meatball_nyc

Sailing distance between BDA and BOS is about 675 nautical miles, almost the same as going to NYC - assuming the Dawn (or other similar ships) has no further problems with steering and/or engine/electrical systems, after inspections & tests while docked - and sustained no damages to the hull/bottom (unlikely, it sounded) or the Azipods for precision turns - it will need less than 35 hours to do average cruise speed of 20 nm to get everyone back to its home port.

Divers & others are there @Heritage Wharf to do whatever it takes - surely, nobody from the Dawn plan to wander too far away this morning and risk becoming pier runners & miss the ride going home if all abroad is in as little as about 3 hours (12 noon, local time or 11 AM, EDT) so that they can sail as early as 12:30 or 1 PM if they get the "go" signal or green light to sail after the inspections and results are certified by the authorities. Good luck & hope to see her get everyone home safely, and on time - waves & ocean looks normal & calm as usually from oceandata forecast site for the routing.

Q's as I'm someone recalled - was the NCL Star's azipod problems similar or related, or different issues - losing full engine power and/or steering (non-electrical ??) is the unsolved puzzle, just be glad this wasn't a plane (that's an entirely different story, of course ;) )

Is she unusually high in the water ?

She looks to be high in the water to me as well...on the web cam you can see the top of the bulbous bow. I would assume that's because they had to reduce ballast to get off the reef, but I'm by no means an expert.:o Maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in!:)

It's going to Boston? just call Tom Brady he can tell them how to deflate the ship and get it sailing again.:D Worst part is if they damaged the Azipods the ship could be out of service for awhile.

Good luck to the passengers on this and the next Dawn cruise out of Boston.

Should have happened to the Breakaway out of New York, with the J-E-T-S stuck since 1968, they'd have more experience. :D

Those pictures of the Dawn and Breakaway so close together are great. That normally wouldn't happen. I feel bad for the people affected by the situation, but hopefully they're making the best of it.

thanks for the pics. The Royal Gazette is reporting an intended departure of 5 pm but I think that is just a page holder. it also says the ship can't leave until the passengers are on board for two hours but that isn't the rule either. I suspect that we will know shortly if it is ok to travel....and it will leave shortly after noon if its ok...full speed.

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20150520/NEWS/150529974/reberthed-norwegian-dawn-set-for-5pm-departure&utm_source=newsletter20150520&utm_medium=email&utm_content=article_title&utm_campaign=newsletter?utm_source=Royalgazette+Newsletter&utm_campaign=cd0c43eebb-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_7deb53b0b5-cd0c43eebb-71068681

She looks to be high in the water to me as well...on the web cam you can see the top of the bulbous bow. I would assume that's because they had to reduce ballast to get off the reef, but I'm by no means an expert.:o Maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in!:)

We do not have a lot of details, but it is likely she dropped whatever ballast or fresh water she could to lighten her while awaiting the high tide that floated her off.

AKK

We do not have a lot of details' date=' but it is likely she dropped whatever ballast or fresh water she could to lighten her while awaiting the high tide that floated her off.

AKK[/quote']

I'm guessing that's correct too... that and the pool water was probably drained as well. Anything to lighten the ship and those all add a lot of weight so chances are they're refilling her water tanks before they sail again explaining the delay. :cool:

With a little luck she scraped some paint off the hull, worse yet the bow thrusters (highly unlikely) were damaged, worst case and more likely damage to the main running gear (Azipods) damage to the props, bearings or motors. Sand an coral or soft so to speak of but with the weight of the ship I wouldn't be surprised if the hull has at least a few ripples in the steel

Captain just announced we can go ashore but have to be back on board by noon

That's awesome that you are at least allowed back in port for a little extra time today. Glad everyone is ok and hopefully the ship will be too.

It's so neat to see both the Dawn and the Breakaway there. Thanks to the person that posted the pictures.

Is there more than 1 webcam? The one I'm looking at has a close up of the Dawn and what's going on. I'm just wondering if someone is controlling it and zoomed in, which is why I can't see the Breakaway off in the distance. :confused:

With a little luck she scraped some paint off the hull, worse yet the bow thrusters (highly unlikely) were damaged, worst case and more likely damage to the main running gear (Azipods) damage to the props, bearings or motors. Sand an coral or soft so to speak of but with the weight of the ship I wouldn't be surprised if the hull has at least a few ripples in the steel

According to the Royal Gazette one of her bow thrusters did have some damage but not sure if they were able to repair it last night or not. It doesn't seem like enough to make it worthy of a dry dock but it if it's going to impact maneuverability of the ship in their narrow channel, hmm... we will continue to wait and see. It'll probably end up like the Star's Bermuda bump and get fixed on the next dry dock and since the Star just went into one then Dawn must be headed into one next year. :confused:

According to the Royal Gazette one of her bow thrusters did have some damage but not sure if they were able to repair it last night or not. It doesn't seem like enough to make it worthy of a dry dock but it if it's going to impact maneuverability of the ship in their narrow channel, hmm... we will continue to wait and see. It'll probably end up like the Star's Bermuda bump and get fixed on the next dry dock and since the Star just went into one then Dawn must be headed into one next year. :confused:

Wow, I pictured here sliding the turn and not nosing in

Is there more than 1 webcam? The one I'm looking at has a close up of the Dawn and what's going on. I'm just wondering if someone is controlling it and zoomed in, which is why I can't see the Breakaway off in the distance. :confused:

There's only one webcam. Whoever is controlling it has it zoomed in on the Dawn's bow. I'm guessing that's where they're inspecting, and where the impact took place.

I can actually see the porthole of the cabin that we were in when we sailed the Dawn last year. :)

I don't think the people on the Breakaway think its to neat LOL

LOL, yea I don't think they would like having to tender too much either. But from my perspective, it's pretty neat to see and watch. I would give anything to be on the Dawn right now instead of in 2 weeks. :p (Although so far everything I have seen posted by people actually on the Breakaway have been positive with support and glad everyone is ok instead of the moaning about having to tender).

There's only one webcam. Whoever is controlling it has it zoomed in on the Dawn's bow. I'm guessing that's where they're inspecting, and where the impact took place.

I can actually see the porthole of the cabin that we were in when we sailed the Dawn last year. :)

Ok, that's what I figured (only 1 webcam) but thought I would ask. :)

LOL, yea I don't think they would like having to tender too much either. But from my perspective, it's pretty neat to see and watch. I would give anything to be on the Dawn right now instead of in 2 weeks. :p (Although so far everything I have seen posted by people actually on the Breakaway have been positive with support and glad everyone is ok instead of the moaning about having to tender).

Ok, that's what I figured (only 1 webcam) but thought I would ask. :)

Have a great time! I'm expecting one of your excellent reviews;)

Have a great time! I'm expecting one of your excellent reviews;)

mitsugirly, same here! I'm counting your upcoming review of Bermuda as one of the milestones on the way to my Bermuda cruise later this year. :D

Lazlo, Wyndmoor, PA? I grew up in Jenkintown, went to La Salle High School, lived in Chestnut Hill, and now am in Willow Grove. I guess we're neighbors. :D