Dawn ran aground while leaving Bermuda?

alligeek

Another option for live view - those mobile with the free ShipMate app on iOS or Android device, you can go under Cruise Ships, scroll down to Norwegian for the Breakaway, under Ship Info & #3 down is Deck Cams - it will bring up the live webcam, pointing straight at the NCL Dawn at Dockyard. X's Summit is docked behind her. That will give extra coverage along with the BDA portwebcam streaming ... oops, don't let the boss at work catch you doing it. Go back & click under Dawn as above, you are now seeing the Dawn's own webcam live - while enjoying lunch or breakfast or whatever, from wherever you are now.

Past 1:30 PM now local BDA time, so if the last update is good - should be underway in under 90 minutes (3 PM local, 2 PM EDT & 11 AM PDT, etc.) - give or take a few minutes, and, look out for tug boats and/or pilot boats coming into these cam's view to assist, standby or help guide her departure again from Dockyard out thru the narrow channel of coral reefs ... keep in mind the low tide & high tide tables as they cannot just "go" even when the ship is fully functional and ready to go.

As calculated & said by others, it will probably take a little "extra" fuel to run the ship a little faster than usual - even at 18 or 20 nm, it still has time to cover the distance for an on-time arrival back at Boston this Friday. Maybe a notch bumpy but sea/ocean waves forecasted to the normal & calm for their routing across the northern Atlantic. This class of ships has a max. speed of 22 but has been known to go a little fast with the wind on their side.

So, I am "cheering" for the Dawn for a safe voyvage to bring all the pax home - we loved the crew & it's a great ship.

Edited by mking8288

You can view the ship via the port cam in bermuda. Search for bermuda port cams. It's still fulling tied up at the dock. The NCL Breakaway can be seen anchored off in distance. Unfortunately for them, they get tender service today it looks like.

PTZtv @PTZtv

#NorwegianDawn will depart #Bermuda at 14:00 local time. #Streaming #LIVE on http://PortBermudaWebcam.com @cnnbrk pic.twitter.com/fcrxbriqOu

New Statement from Norwegian from CNBC

On Wednesday, May 20, a thorough assessment of Norwegian Dawn was completed by Norwegian’s technical operations team, an independent dive team, and DNVGL inspectors, representing the ship's classification society, while the ship was alongside in Heritage Warf, Bermuda. The team confirmed the structural integrity of the ship and the technical issue which caused the steering malfunction was identified and corrected. The ship is expected to be cleared to depart Bermuda at 3pm ADT today and resume sailing to Boston, and is expected to arrive on Friday as scheduled. Norwegian Dawn’s next voyage will depart as scheduled on May 22.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and greatly appreciate our guests’ understanding. All guests sailing on the current voyage will receive a future cruise credit of 15% of their cruise fare to use towards a future Norwegian cruise.

Edited by peg013

Would that be our much loved (sarcasm :rolleyes:) Frank Del Rio, CEO of NCLH or COO Andy Stuart? :)

Have a safe trip back to Boston! :)

I will let Anderson Cooper know you're coming! ;):rolleyes:

Ummm....not sure because I'm drinking piña coladas on deck 13 near the (very) hit tub :-p

As calculated & said by others, it will probably take a little "extra" fuel to run the ship a little faster than usual - even at 18 or 20 nm, it still has time to cover the distance for an on-time arrival back at Boston this Friday. Maybe a notch bumpy but sea/ocean waves forecasted to the normal & calm for their routing across the northern Atlantic. This class of ships has a max. speed of 22 but has been known to go a little fast with the wind on their side.

The Dawn Class are faster than that! Star needed to maintain close to her maximum of 25 kn (nm = nautical miles, kn = knots) when she used to the Hawaii - Fanning Island runs. These are some of the fastest ships in the industry.

All guests sailing on the current voyage will receive a future cruise credit of 15% of their cruise fare to use towards a future Norwegian cruise.

Thats just freaking bizarre.....a 15% cruise credit??? For what??? I was on the BA two years ago when we were delayed a day getting into Bermuda because of a storm. We got nothing............ but 15% for an extra few hours in port?

Hi, do you have those images (link) to share? That would be interesting. Did it occur just outside the channel and without warning (the power/steering loss). Just curious. All windlass anchors will have an emergency freefall that will get things stopped in a hurry. Maybe it would have helped, or not?

Even if dropping the anchor wound immediately stop the ship's forward movement, it would not prevent the ship from swinging around (in the wind or current) and hit the reefs anyway.

Thats just freaking bizarre.....a 15% cruise credit??? For what??? I was on the BA two years ago when we were delayed a day getting into Bermuda because of a storm. We got nothing............ but 15% for an extra few hours in port?

NCL can't help a storm, but this was a ship issue. I'm sure there was a bit of fear involved in the first couple of hours. I think it's warranted.

NCL can't help a storm, but this was a ship issue. I'm sure there was a bit of fear involved in the first couple of hours. I think it's warranted.

I agree with you on the justification in this instance. The fear involved it caused the passengers was worthy of a goodwill gesture.

Side Note: Now I'm sure the debate will ensue as to whether it was right or wrong.. too much or too little. :(

Even if dropping the anchor wound immediately stop the ship's forward movement, it would not prevent the ship from swinging around (in the wind or current) and hit the reefs anyway.

I agree. Didn't the Costa Concoridia drop their anchor and it caused more trouble. I can't remember.

Looking at the Bermuda King's Wharf webcam now. The Dawn is getting ready to cast off and head home. Safe travels everyone!

http://portbermudawebcam.com/

Eric

Shore workers were manning the dolphins, getting ready to untie the Dawn. Lines are being drawn back into the Dawn now.

Eric

Edited by Pomperaugrr

Boston media isn't too bad. It's mostly balanced. FOX loves to sensationalize just about everything in our area. Channel 7 when they're not trying to throw a jury decision into chaos is pretty sensationalized too. The other two networks are ok. The Boston Herald showed up last night on Google news feed as being an opinion which I died laughing at because they're just as bad as the Inquirer for news.

Unfortunately people do see what they take on the news as reality. It will impact pricing on the Boston to BDA run for later in the season for sure. I'm watching that closely. :cool:

I think Boston stations recognize that many Boston-area people have cruised on the NCL Boston to Bermuda cruise, whether on the Dawn or the Spirit. We love "our" ship and have empathy and a concern for the welfare of guests and crew aboard. We have had some very glum news in Boston for many weeks on end with two very high profile trials regarding very tragic events, endless speculation about the Patriots' balls (enough, already) and national news on weather woes. So, CrusinMaterial, I am with you, they (Boston news outlets) are trying to be good, but can often get some details off. It was breaking news when it happened but coincided with the usual time news is generally on. I am not sure if they would have broken into a broadcast program with a grounded cruiseship with no casualties. I got pretty excited and concerned because I am cruising on the Dawn soon, and I can empathize with those people on board.

That being said, so glad to hear all is well and Dawn will be coming back to Boston intact. They usually cruise as slow as molasses back to Boston, so I am not surprised that they will still arrive in time! I'll have to watch for a price drop on my cruise, but I doubt it - Canada was close to sold out for all sailings a while ago. That's why I am cruising from Quebec City to Boston, the other direction was gone, baby, gone. Safe journey people!

I agree. Didn't the Costa Concoridia drop their anchor and it caused more trouble. I can't remember.

Actually, dropping anchor for the Concordia was the about the ONLY thing they did right. It slowed the ship and swung it closer to shore to stop. Left it in shallower water and closer to shore for many who jumped into the water.

If they had not dropped the anchor it would have drifted further out from shore and sunk faster.

Hopefully all cruise lines and their entire officer lineup had mandatory learnings delivered about the many errors and bad decisions made on that ship.

But as said earlier, dropping anchor in a narrow busy channel is bad for the port... closes it down and damages coral more. They are more likely to have continuous efforts to free the ship.

Edited by PelicanBill

I think Boston stations recognize that many Boston-area people have cruised on the NCL Boston to Bermuda cruise, whether on the Dawn or the Spirit. We love "our" ship and have empathy and a concern for the welfare of guests and crew aboard. We have had some very glum news in Boston for many weeks on end with two very high profile trials regarding very tragic events, endless speculation about the Patriots' balls (enough, already) and national news on weather woes. So, CrusinMaterial, I am with you, they (Boston news outlets) are trying to be good, but can often get some details off. It was breaking news when it happened but coincided with the usual time news is generally on. I am not sure if they would have broken into a broadcast program with a grounded cruiseship with no casualties. I got pretty excited and concerned because I am cruising on the Dawn soon, and I can empathize with those people on board.

That being said, so glad to hear all is well and Dawn will be coming back to Boston intact. They usually cruise as slow as molasses back to Boston, so I am not surprised that they will still arrive in time! I'll have to watch for a price drop on my cruise, but I doubt it - Canada was close to sold out for all sailings a while ago. That's why I am cruising from Quebec City to Boston, the other direction was gone, baby, gone. Safe journey people!

I loved all your Boston references! I, too, will keep my eye on the pricing and see what comes of it. I also agree with you about the news media's obsession with the two trials and the deflate-gate. I've had enough of all the news stories but they continuously get brought up. This morning's Hernandez coverage was absurd. A thug being a thug in prison... it was going to happen sooner or later but it's not news worthy!!

The great news is our girl (aka Norwegian Dawn) is doing fine and will be back on time and the people who cruised her have a story to tell and a nice future cruise credit to go again next year! :D

Gone, baby, gone... ah Mr. Affleck's directorial debut! :)