Dawn ran aground while leaving Bermuda?

alligeek

mitsugirly, looking forward to snorkeling pics and info on best place to snorkel, we will be going on Carnival for the first time in a long time next May, the Victory is sailing out of PC to Bermuda, we have been on the Dawn twice, hope your cruise is terrific!

Have a great time! I'm expecting one of your excellent reviews;)

You will definitely be getting one. ;)

mitsugirly, same here! I'm counting your upcoming review of Bermuda as one of the milestones on the way to my Bermuda cruise later this year. :D

Aww thanks. I'm just glad I will get the opportunity to do one. It looks like this was just a bump in the road and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she will be ok and return to us with no issues. :)

mitsugirly, looking forward to snorkeling pics and info on best place to snorkel, we will be going on Carnival for the first time in a long time next May, the Victory is sailing out of PC to Bermuda, we have been on the Dawn twice, hope your cruise is terrific!

Oh really??? I didn't realize that Carnival had a ship that goes to Bermuda. I will have to check into this. I may have to do this trip as well next year if that's the case. :D Thanks for the info.

The maitre d in the Venetian told us that Norwegian corporate has flown in to oversee the inspections.

I'm sure they have because this is a huge black eye for them. The Boston media reports are relentless and people who are not so positive about the situation are being interviewed on Boston TV stations.

There's another thread where someone was asking why the Dawn had no trips scheduled in May next year. The assumption was that she was going into drydock during that time.

I remember they shredded the Spinnakers in favor of suites on the Star first and the Dawn went a year later and the Star just got out of her dry dock (second time) recently so I figured it had to be next year. I will continue to monitor the news sources to see what damage happened to the bow thruster and whether it will impact maneuverability. With the azipods in the back she can move quite a bit already but her bow thrusters are still needed in tight places like the Bermuda channel. There's really not a lot of wiggle room there. :cool:

Even less with the Breakaway. I was astonished when I did the Breakaway to Bermuda how the width of Breakaway was almost exactly the width of the channel when being on her aft watching sail away.

I'm sure they have because this is a huge black eye for them. The Boston media reports are relentless and people who are not so positive about the situation are being interviewed on Boston TV stations.

That's really too bad because the captain and crew have done an outstanding job of keeping us updated and comfortable. All of our fellow passengers seem to be positive and in good spirits.

Edited by Jforrest71

Because it was a temporary issue that presumably was either transient or has been fixed.

When was it fixed? While the ship was aground? I doubt that.

If the statement is true, that the ship is "fully" functional, then why wasn't it released to go home? The fact is, that NCL has not had enough time or the chance to verify that such a statement is true.

That's really too bad because the captain and crew have done an outstanding job of keeping us updated and comfortable. All of our fellow passengers seem to be positive and in good spirits.

There's some lady on Twitter on the Dawn who has been doing nothing but offering TV stations to interview her. Find her and tell her to knock it off! LOL! I'm sure she's the one adding to the doom and gloom. I, personally, would LOVE to be extended a cruise day. When I had that happen during Tropical Storm Lee which closed the MI river and the Port of New Orleans and we got a day and a half extra... I LOVED it! I guess it depends on how flexible your job is.

The doom and gloom being reported is hype but the media believes if it bleeds, it leads! Today the Dawn was the second story in on the Boston TV stations. The first was a tragic story of a biker who was killed during a traffic accident involving two cars in Boston. :(

mitsugirly, same here! I'm counting your upcoming review of Bermuda as one of the milestones on the way to my Bermuda cruise later this year. :D

Lazlo, Wyndmoor, PA? I grew up in Jenkintown, went to La Salle High School, lived in Chestnut Hill, and now am in Willow Grove. I guess we're neighbors. :D

Your very close, I grew up in Oreland went to Millersiville Univ, lived in FL for a few years, been in Wyndmoor since 1991

When we were on Breakaway last July after Hurricane Arthur, Dawn stayed an extra night in Bermuda. We passed each other early on Wednesday, July 9th, Dawn departing and Breakaway arriving.

P.S. Just saw the post above me. Thanks for the info.

If I had of known I would have waved to you as we left.

When was it fixed? While the ship was aground? I doubt that.

If the statement is true, that the ship is "fully" functional, then why wasn't it released to go home? The fact is, that NCL has not had enough time or the chance to verify that such a statement is true.

It wasn't released to leave Bermuda because it is being inspected by a team of divers and engineers called in by its classification society (the company responsible for ensuring that the ship is seaworthy). Once the ship has passed inspection it will proceed back to Boston. If they determine that something needs to be repaired to make the ship seaworthy, NCL would likely disembark the passengers and arrange for charter flights to get the passengers home.

"Fully functional" just means that everything necessary for routine ship hotel operations is working.

The issue that caused the navigation problem could very well already have been repaired. Things break and are repaired while the ship is at sea all the time. If for example a circuit board failed that could easily be replaced by a spare part. Ships carry an inventory of critical parts that allows them to repair the ship and perform routine maintenance while the ship remains in operation.

Edited by njhorseman

It wasn't released to leave Bermuda because it is being inspected by a team of divers and engineers called in by its classification society (the company responsible for ensuring that the ship is seaworthy). Once the ship has passed inspection it will proceed back to Boston. If they determine that something needs to be repaired to make the ship seaworthy, NCL would likely disembark the passengers and arrange for charter flights to get the passengers home.

"Fully functional" just means that everything necessary for routine ship hotel operations is working.

The issue that caused the navigation problem could very well already have been repaired. Things break and are repaired while the ship is at sea all the time. If for example a circuit board failed that could easily be replaced by a spare part. Ships carry an inventory of critical parts that allows them to repair the ship and perform routine maintenance while the ship remains in operation.

Your definition of "fully" functional and mine are different.

[quote name='Jforrest71']The maitre d in the Venetian told us that Norwegian corporate has flown in to oversee the inspections.[/QUOTE]
It is Standard Operating Procedure for people from Corporate to fly in and assist IF necessary in cases like this one. Staff on board are more than capable of handling any inspections necessary. No NEED to make anything of it.

[quote name='Cuizer2']Your definition of "fully" functional and mine are different.[/QUOTE]

It's not my definition...it's my common sense interpretation of what NCL would mean when using those words in a press release. Think about Carnival's problems in the not too distant past when there were problems that led to the loss of power and hotel functions. All NCL is trying to do is assure those interested that the passengers are safe and receiving all the usual hotel amenities.

There's no way the ship can be allowed to sail with passengers on board before being cleared by its classification society and local authorities. They are assuring that the ship is "fully functional" from a seaworthiness and safety perspective.

[quote name='barnacle_boy']I don't think Dawn's position is similar to Titanic's. Sinking hundreds of miles off the coast of Newfoundland is not the same thing as being aground a stone's throw away from Bermuda.[/QUOTE]

Sorry but its not unusual to assume that another cruise ship if near by would contact the dawn and see if they needed assistance before they went on their merry way

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

[quote name='CruisinMaterial']There's some lady on Twitter on the Dawn who has been doing nothing but offering TV stations to interview her. Find her and tell her to knock it off! LOL! I'm sure she's the one adding to the doom and gloom. I, personally, would LOVE to be extended a cruise day. When I had that happen during Tropical Storm Lee which closed the MI river and the Port of New Orleans and we got a day and a half extra... I LOVED it! I guess it depends on how flexible your job is.

The doom and gloom being reported is hype but the media believes if it bleeds, it leads! Today the Dawn was the second story in on the Boston TV stations. The first was a tragic story of a biker who was killed during a traffic accident involving two cars in Boston. :([/QUOTE]

Some people will do anything for attention I guess? Nope we are in no way suffering. This situation could be much worse! I'm thankful that everything on the ship is up and running and that we aren't stranded out in the middle of the ocean!

[quote name='www3traveler']It is Standard Operating Procedure for people from Corporate to fly in and assist IF necessary in cases like this one. Staff on board are more than capable of handling any inspections necessary. No NEED to make anything of it.[/QUOTE]

This is my first cruise with Norwegian. I'm just impressed and feel like they are doing everything possible to take care of us and ensure our safety :)

[quote name='luvtheships']Sorry but its not unusual to assume that another cruise ship if near by would contact the dawn and see if they needed assistance before they went on their merry way

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/QUOTE]

Thankfully, ships are fitted with radios these days for that purpose ;) staying within earshot is no longer necessary.

[quote name='Jforrest71']This is my first cruise with Norwegian. I'm just impressed and feel like they are doing everything possible to take care of us and ensure our safety :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your information. I wish you and all aboard Dawn safe travels :)

[quote name='Jforrest71']Some people will do anything for attention I guess? Nope we are in no way suffering. This situation could be much worse! I'm thankful that everything on the ship is up and running and that we aren't stranded out in the middle of the ocean![/quote]

You are very positive and I hope reflective of the other 99% of the people on the ship! It's an extra vacation day on the ship and you get a morning in Bermuda if you so choose to do anything ashore. I'm glad no one is suffering and yes people will do anything for attention unfortunately!

I'm also glad everything seems to be working out in the situation and I wish you a pleasant and uneventful journey back to Boston! :)

Side Note: Be prepared for a media onslaught though when you arrive. They're already casing out Black Falcon Terminal today. :eek::(