Will my clothes blow away on a Cove Balcony?

Sthrncrusr

On my last cruise my trunks were still a little wet when it was time to pack. I had used the cord in the shower and they were still wet. No problem I then used the hair dryer to get them dry enough to pack. I did put them in a plastic bag just to be safe.

I am one of those guys who is very laid back but when it comes to fire I will bow up in a second.

I used to teach shipboard firefighting and I have been to several shipboard incidents including one where the captain lost his life.

My advice, take the muster drill and all warnings by the crew very seriously.

Your post is most disagreeable to me. Have you ever been aboard a ship when the fire alarm rang? I have been! It was not, thank God, the Star Princess, but it was on the Volendam in 2002.

During a reception with the Captain, the Cruise Director, the Hotel Director, and other Senior Officers in the Explorer's Lounge, when the announcement was made, and then to witness their immediate, rapid response to the announcement was unsettling. Then, to see the Staff Captain and the fire-fighting crew assemble in the mid-ship's elevator/stairwell foyer preparing to descend to the deck where the fire was; well, all of us there wondered the same thing: what the heck should we do!

Fortunately, the fire was due to a discarded cigarette in a crew cabin. (The man/woman responsible was fired, I am suire.) No damage was done. But, a a major impression was made upon those of us who witnessed this event.

Please, do nothing, absolutely nothing, that might cause a fire on any vessel on which you choose to sail. And, that includes not putting "laundry" out on ANY veranda/balcony to dry.

While I have no doubt the incident you've relayed was unsettling, it doesn't exactly relate to the OP's question. You say the fire on the Volendam was caused by a discarded cigarette in a crew cabin. The OP's question was about putting something out on the balcony to dry. On a cove balcony. Then people start making assumptions about lit cigarettes being tossed overboard and catching peoples' belongings on fire. Have you, or anyone else that's responded on here with concerns about things catching on fire, actually been in a cabin with a cove balcony? If you have, then you would realize that your fears are unfounded and irrational. Because of the way the cove balconies are situated, and the way the wind blows in a relatively vertical direction along the sides of the ship, it would be nearly impossible for a carelessly tossed lit cigarette to land in a cove balcony and catch something on fire.

Also, I have seen them hose down balconies in port with people's belongings on them. So much for air drying items.

I personally don't want to lose my stuff or cause some sort of problem. I hang my wet items on the clothesline in the shower.

It's OK to be a pot stirrer but just don't leave that pot unattended on your balcony...................

with your pet stuffed monkey.........

and your wet swim things........

but it's OK to lock your snoring spouse out there all night....:D.............

naked - cause we wouldn't want a fire risk out there would we.

Sorry, I just had to laugh at this. ^^^

Normally this is not a thread I would have clicked on, but since it mentioned "cove balcony"...which we have sailed in before, I figured why not??

I have never read any of the threads involving this situation before. I can't believe after all these years I had never heard that you should not hang anything out on the balcony. I have also never heard them say this during a safety drill either. (Most of the time it's next to impossible to understand most of what they are saying). I normally cruise with NCL, so I'm not sure if they usually state this during a safety drill either. :confused: Maybe it's because we "normally" sail in interiors so I tuned it out??

Either way, I did not know this and I guess I'm guilty of putting my bathing suit out on the balcony on my recent cruise...which I had never done in the past. I have to admit, a bathing suit does not dry in the shower on the line...at least none of ours ever has and what a crappy place to have to hang (although I understand why...dripping into the shower), but every time someone takes a shower you remove them, then put them back up. It's a viscous cycle I tell ya. :p

I will no longer do this and just shiver my way into a cold wet/damp bathing suit the following day next time. I'm glad I did click on this link after all. I learn something new all the time. :)

As for the cove balcony...pshhh, we had a soda can out on the ledge that goes around the bottom once, completely empty and it didn't even budge at all (yes we were out there at the time). You can barely feel any wind and balcony rooms are awesome. They can be used even when the weather is raining. :D

OK, point taken. What if it was invisible?:eek:

Your cruise steward would see them. Now I'll play devil's advocate: what if you get away with it? What would that prove? And what if you get away with it 10 times but on the 11th a fire starts on your balcony?

I just bring a 2nd pair. They are actually quick drying and either from Lands End or some other brand.

I still have just one 21" carry on.

While I have no doubt the incident you've relayed was unsettling, it doesn't exactly relate to the OP's question. You say the fire on the Volendam was caused by a discarded cigarette in a crew cabin. The OP's question was about putting something out on the balcony to dry. On a cove balcony. Then people start making assumptions about lit cigarettes being tossed overboard and catching peoples' belongings on fire. Have you, or anyone else that's responded on here with concerns about things catching on fire, actually been in a cabin with a cove balcony? If you have, then you would realize that your fears are unfounded and irrational. Because of the way the cove balconies are situated, and the way the wind blows in a relatively vertical direction along the sides of the ship, it would be nearly impossible for a carelessly tossed lit cigarette to land in a cove balcony and catch something on fire.

Notice your last sentence and the quote "nearly impossible". Your Honor, the plaintiff clearly and plainly states that though a fire may not happen often, it is possible. Therefore, I request that the Court rule in favor of my client.

Notice your last sentence and the quote "nearly impossible". Your Honor, the plaintiff clearly and plainly states that though a fire may not happen often, it is possible. Therefore, I request that the Court rule in favor of my client.

I said "nearly impossible" for the benefit of those that believe nothing is ever truly impossible. However, you have a much greater chance of having a Yeti as your CD than a lit cigarette landing on a cove balcony and catching wet swimming trunks on fire. And all of this still has nothing to do with the OP's original question.

We often let our swimsuits air dry out on our balconies but this is the first time we will be in a Cove balcony. What do people do when drying their swimsuits out there? Special clips to buy or should we not worry?

Thanks!

AHOY SHIPMATE, only THING FAIRLY SAFE ON BALCONY IS WHAT YOU ARE WEARING. LOL

Use the line in the bathroom.

Ok, so it would likely take a pretty good wind to carry your clothes of a cove balcony. I've sailed through storms that made my balcony door rattle before. Also, if your stuff does blow off the balcony, it's not like you can retrieve it. I know some people pack clips & clip their stuff onto the chairs. I have left my water shoes out on the balcony simply because they are wet & sandy. I pack multiple swimsuits so I don't have to put on a cold wet one. Typically by the time one of us has to shower, the suit is no longer dripping, just damp. At that time, it is transferred to the hook on the bathroom door or we dry the seams with the hair dryer. Hubby's trunks always dry quickly - it's mine that take a while. We have contemplated taking our wetsuits for diving, but will likely never do it simply because they are so big & take so long to dry. I imagine they are heavy enough not to blow away, but I'd kind of like to use my balcony to sit on, not just as a place to hang things out to dry.

Whatever you do, whether on a ship or in a hotel, never hang anything from a fire sprinkler head. You would be surprised how much water damage 15 gallons a minute will do before they get the flow shut off.

Smokers are regulated to certain areas of the ship and are to dispose of their cigarettes in the receptacles provided. And we are criticizing the person who hangs his shorts out on the balcony for breaking the rules because they might catch on fire from a improperly disposed of cigarette? What exactly am I missing here?

I would just hope that whoever tries to leave their clothing out on a balcony has it blown overboard, where someone will see the clothing in the water and the ship will begin to circle back while commencing a person overboard drill.

May you miss your next port of call. Come back and vent on CC afterwards, we'll be delighted to hear all about it.

I would just hope that whoever tries to leave their clothing out on a balcony has it blown overboard, where someone will see the clothing in the water and the ship will begin to circle back while commencing a person overboard drill.

May you miss your next port of call. Come back and vent on CC afterwards, we'll be delighted to hear all about it.

like!!:)

One evening we hit rough seas and waves were crashing into our door. They could definitely get washed away.

Yes, much less likely to dry down there on a cove balcony so close to the water. But, there shouldn't be anything like towels or bathing suits left on the balcony due to the fire risk. Just ask the poor guy on Princess who died in that fire.

Just to play devils advocate...what if a bathing suit was made of fire retardant material?

Would it be ok to hang on on the balcony then?

Just sayin...

''

Who ever heard of a " fire retardant bathing suit"????

Like Like Like

The OP has not returned. Either everyone drove them away or they are a pot stirrer. :D:D:D

See post #12 - OP did return: "Holy moly, I honestly never even thought of the fire risk! Seriously, I've been on a ton of cruises and never had a worry. Thanks for letting me know...."

You would really hope this would happen? Seriously?