River cruise laws

smca18

On a recent River cruise, our dinning room was not open due to most people being on a late tour, so arrangement were supposedly made for dinner on a sister ship which was tied to ours. We were directed to that ship and were told they would be notified of our visit.

Soon after starting dinner the ship left for refueling and we were told we would be gone for three hours, which turned out to be slightly longer. When we arrived back at the dock, our ship left early for refueling and told that they would be gone for three plus hours.

In total we were without our medications for about seven hours, and while offered a room, I could not sleep because my Cpap machine was back in our room. Also being a diabetic, I was put into a situation where there might have been a medical emergency.

Does anyone know if this is illegal, and if so what law or rules were broken?

I have no idea the legalities of this but I can definitely see a problem here. So sorry this happened, glad that there wasn't a medical issue that came up.

If anything, the lines need to do a better job of saying "your ship will not be available between 3-5, plan accordingly".

Thanks!

The line was quick to offer things, but I want to try and learn what if anything they are liable for.

The answer to that may depend on where you live, which you don't indicate on your profile. Consumer protection laws vary widely by country.

The answer to that may depend on where you live, which you don't indicate on your profile. Consumer protection laws vary widely by country.

We live in California and the trip was in Russia

I actually think it may depend on the country where the incident occurred. Each country may be different.

Edited by Coral

smca18 - Without meaning to seem insensitive to your experience, might I ask why you are so concerned regarding what "they are liable for"? Generally speaking, companies are subject to liability under certain conditions for damages that have occurred. Other than having a rather unpleasant late evening, what damages did you suffer?

You state that "there might have been a medical emergency"; but there was not such. Aren't you happier that nothing bad happened than if something bad had happened?

Further, as to what "laws or rules were broken", you will likely discover that such matters are a bit flexible in Russia with respect to the operation of river boats. Depending upon the terms of passage of your cruise, California law might be irrelevant.

It appears from what you have posted that the staff on the temporary boat tried to do what it could ("The line was quick to offer things...") in the circumstances. Perhaps it is prudent to move on and be grateful that all turned out reasonably well.

Certainly, you would be well advised to complain to the cruise line regarding the rather appalling lack of proper coordination and communication.

(Full disclosure here, as they say on Fox news: in my pre-retirement life, I was an in-house corporate international shark - aka, lawyer - and therefore admit to a bit of a bias against posters who search for liability when there are few, if any, damages.)

Cheers, Fred

Edited by freddie

(Full disclosure here, as they say on Fox news: in my pre-retirement life, I was an in-house corporate international shark - aka, lawyer - and therefore admit to a bit of a bias against posters who search for liability when there are few, if any, damages.)

Cheers, Fred

Considering the fact that in the US finally passed laws a few years ago about how long the airlines can keep people on the plane on the runway with out moving, I think we are probably far away from regulating river boats in other countries, let alone in our own country.

On a recent River cruise, our dinning room was not open due to most people being on a late tour, so arrangement were supposedly made for dinner on a sister ship which was tied to ours. We were directed to that ship and were told they would be notified of our visit.

Soon after starting dinner the ship left for refueling and we were told we would be gone for three hours, which turned out to be slightly longer. When we arrived back at the dock, our ship left early for refueling and told that they would be gone for three plus hours.

In total we were without our medications for about seven hours, and while offered a room, I could not sleep because my Cpap machine was back in our room. Also being a diabetic, I was put into a situation where there might have been a medical emergency.

Why not pay a lawyer on international law for advice?

What exactly were your damages?

Thanks!

The line was quick to offer things, but I want to try and learn what if anything they are liable for.

You suffered no damages. You were certainly inconvenienced, and "the line was quick to offer things". How much do you figure they owe you?

I was just going to ask that,?except the OP says they were in Russia this time and last time it was Scenic in Europe ;(

Maybe river cruising is just not for everyone!

It definitely isn't.

Edited by Floridiana

I was just going to ask that,?except the OP says they were in Russia this time and last time it was Scenic in Europe ;(

Maybe river cruising is just not for everyone!

As they say....you can't please everyone all the time. Maybe you can't please some people any of the time? Yes, not correct grammar but you get the idea.

Some of the responses are unnecessarily snarky . . .:rolleyes:

I agree. I think the OP was just curious if they are allowed to do this. The Cruise Line should have done a better job communicating to the people and could have prevented this situation all together.

I took the OP that they want to know if this is common and allowed. I am sure if the situation presents itself in the future, they will ask more questions and will be better prepared.

I know I learned from this thread to be better prepared. Hopefully others did also, especially those with medical needs. I am glad the OP mentioned this.

I'm struggling to imagine what about any of the description of your evening would be considered 'illegal' in pretty much any jurisdiction, let alone Russia?

Sounds like there was poor communication, possibly on both sides, as it would have seemed prudent to inform the crew of the temporary ship of your particular medical needs the moment you knew you were going to be away from your original ship even if only for a few hours.

Beyond that please list your damages as absent some material damage there is going to be no liability.

Keep governments our of regulating cruise lines, except of course for safety and environmental protection.

Regulations would probably drive up the cost of cruises.

We learn from our experiences and if you have a bad experience on a cruise line or read about others that have bad experiences, that should go into your performance evaluation for selection of your next cruise.

You had a bad experience that frankly deserved some compensation, but I have read of far worse on this website.

Just go back and read how the various cruise lines treated cruises two years ago with all the floods, Viking and Scenic came away with many complaints.

Seems to me that the issue is that the cruise line put some of its passengers at risk, without really warning them, perhaps because the events were unplanned. But the captain of the first ship should have known they would be leaving to refuel, and passengers left onboard who transferred to the other ship should have been warned that they would not have access to their rooms for up to seven hours. With the average age of river cruisers being what it is, this is only sensible.

Of course, if there's any place in the western world where things might not be "sensible, it would be Russia. Doing this Russian trip should be done with "eyes open" I guess, and in general, if you have to leave the ship unexpectedly, one should ask pointed questions about access to your stateroom.

Oh, and a couple of more things--did we ever find out which cruise line this was for sure?

And on the subject of medical emergencies--does anyone know what type of facilities/staff/training that the various river boats have to deal with such emergencies, such as, say, diabetic shock or stroke or heart attack?

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

The take away from this situation is that, like airline travel, always keep your medications with you.

The cruise line has no legal liability if you are inconvenienced for routine maintenance. The passenger has the responsibility to ensure his own safety. See the difference between liability and responsibility. You suffered no damages. Why are you looking to sue? You don't say from where you hail, but I would guess USA by your immediate impulse to sue for an inconvenience.

Let's try and keep the government and the regulators out of our lives as much as possible.

Edited by CruisingAlong4Now