NO REFUND...Be CAREFUL!!!

kimala

In nearly every trip insurance policy, pre-existing conditions are covered if the policy is purchased within 14 days of the initial deposit, so you definitely should be covered for this. I too think you should call Carnival back and ask to speak to a supervisor. Good luck and let us know how this turns out.

Third party insurance covering pre-existing conditions can be obtained, but usually cruise line insurance does not cover pre-existing illnesses. Even with the 3rd party insurance you have to be medically fit from your pre-existing condition at the time of booking.

I had a friend with terminal cancer who wanted one last cruise. Her doctor thought it would be great for her state of mind and also said that she needed to cruise right away while she was still stable. She contacted the insurance companies for several cruise lines before booking and they said if she had to cancel it would not be covered. She found the coverage she needed through Travel Safe and just to be safe bought a cancel for any reason rider.

As it turned out, the week before her cruise her blood count had dropped drastically and she was unable to go. She cancelled the cruise and Travel Safe reimbursed her in full.

After transfusions and medications her blood count was back in range within weeks and the doctor told her to go immediately. She snagged a cabin on a cruise sailing a few days later and once again bought the Travel Safe insurance just in case.

All went well, she and her husband had their final cruise. She died about a month later.

I applaud what this couple wanted to do, but always check with the doctor first.

I

The Carnival rep should have advised you better since early saver has a non refundable deposit unless you cancel and apply it to a future cruise. As far as insurance goes, even buying insurance that exempts pre-existing conditions wouldn't have worked since your parents had pre-existing conditions on the day you bought insurance. I do feel sorry for you. It seems most people can't afford to do extensive traveling until they retire but then you are faced with the financial liabilities of failing health and high insurance costs or an inability to even get insurance at all that will pay off.

Edited by HLGW60

I am not a "Carnival cheerleader" and I'm not going to say that you should have looked into the Early Saver details before you made the purchase (because I think you already know that now). But I will say this: please do not try to make Carnival out as the bad guys simply because they are following their policy. I feel bad for your situation, but the reality is that everyone has a "situation" that they will swear is a bad as yours. Carnival cannot make exceptions for one person, because then they will have to make exceptions for everyone. Anyway, good luck, and I hope that you can find a vacation that your parents can go on. Maybe a land vacation closer to home, for a shorter amount of time.

You're so much nicer in wording it than I am.

Note: OP told the rep she wanted the cheapest rate possible because her vacation funds were already allocated elsewhere.

Maybe I am wrong..but don't they read the policy when booking?

I feel for you completely, but this should serve as a good warning to guests to read the fine print. It isn't a secret that Early Saver is non-refundable and there is a burden of responsibility on the buyer to be aware of these terms. I truly hope you can find something equally fun to do for them though and I hope some others have learned from this!

I feel bad for your situation. However, we've heard stories similar to yours here at CC. If Carnival bends the rules for one, then I can see people coming out of the wood work demanding the same. I would find another doctor who will write the prescription for your father. Surely there's one out there that would do this for you and your father. Don't be quick to do anything that can't be undone. Good luck.

The no refunds part is the down side of Early Saver same as the ability to collect on price drops.

You should only choose Early Saver if you are able to financially absorb the possible financial loss.

and if they were your parents?:(

If it was Larry & I my kids would just say pack & if POPS needs air we will just take him down to the Dr. :eek:

If you have the insurance from Carnival they are very easy to work with. It is a pain but worth it. Have had to make a few claims over the last year with Larrys leg problems & all. So far have been pd for all of them. :)

Get a new PVP when you book next time I DID when the same thing happened to me. ( after 42 cruises ) you would think I would know something. :rolleyes:

Char

I would also add that the PVP has NO idea what the insurance will pay & was out of line telling you that.

Edited by mommom of 7

Maybe I missed it, but when was this cruise to take place? If it's ES it must be a ways off.

As for the Dr., I'd be pissed if it were me. He's not God to say they cannot go. It's your choice what to do, they are your parents and feel they can handle it. Perhaps the Dr is protecting his license.

If it was Larry & I my kids would just say pack & if POPS needs air we will just take him down to the Dr. :eek:

If you have the insurance from Carnival they are very easy to work with. It is a pain but worth it. Have had to make a few claims over the last year with Larrys leg problems & all. So far have been pd for all of them. :)

Get a new PVP when you book next time I DID when the same thing happened to me. ( after 42 cruises ) you would think I would know something. :rolleyes:

Char

I would also add that the PVP has NO idea what the insurance will pay & was out of line telling you that.

Not the OP

Maybe I missed it, but when was this cruise to take place? If it's ES it must be a ways off.

As for the Dr., I'd be pissed if it were me. He's not God to say they cannot go. It's your choice what to do, they are your parents and feel they can handle it. Perhaps the Dr is protecting his license.

Was wondering why the DR opinion was law?

You're so much nicer in wording it than I am.

Note: OP told the rep she wanted the cheapest rate possible because her vacation funds were already allocated elsewhere.

Maybe I am wrong..but don't they read the policy when booking?

They may not have read the policy ahead of time. Some people just don't. And I can't say that I have never been guilty of not reading the fine print before making a purchase. But, I can say that I wouldn't fault the company for my ignorance. And I wouldn't expect them to change their policy, or make an exception, just for me. This is the kind of a situation where you just have to say "lesson learned" and move on.

Edited by bakersdozen12

Not the OP

Sorry what was that. I'm not understanding "Not the OP".

I'm with you Ruthless If we waited for the DR. at our age we would never travel again. :confused:

Ours told us we couldn't fly to Ohio so I said OK we will drive. OH my goodness you can't do that.

We are flying to Ohio. :D

Char

The cruise was to be August 27th. I agree about the Dr...I woke up mad about it all. I'm not saying that Im totally without fault in the matter but I never dreamt that the Dr would say he wouldn't "sign off" on it. I know I've seen old people on a cruise befor with oxygen in their nose and in a wheelchair. I feel so bad for my parents, haven't been able to tell them yet. I'm heart broken. I am just afraid to take them now because if something were to happen I would really feel at fault since the Dr wouldn't condone it.

So the moral to the story is if you are wanting to take elderly people with multiple medical problems on a cruise to check with their doctor to see if it is a good idea before you book.

If you paid the deposit, the future cruise money will be held in your name for future use. The $100 per cabin is the penalty of cancelling early saver.

I highly doubt there would have been a senior rate available when you booked.

If it was a carnival pvp you booked thru, the calls are recorded. Call and ask them to check the recording to see if you were in fact informed of the no refund rule when you booked.

If you were, sorry you did not understand, if you were not, you may have a case or a full refund.

I"m glad you said that. I just booked 2 cruises, and one of them I booked for my daughter and her bf and my PVP told me that all of the deposit comes back to whoever booked and paid.

...No kidding, I almost wrote Flame away at the end because I know there are cheerleaders out there...And believe me, until this incident I had nothing bad to say about Carnival. Been on two Carnival cruises and had enjoyed them both...I just hate the corporate greed and the non bending policy...it's just wrong.

Ah, the old "corporate greed"....

Just so I understand, at no point before booking this did you ask if it's refundable given that your parents are older and not in the best health? Or, checking with their doctors ahead of time?

But it's Carnival's fault. Got it.

Edited by Hoosierpop

I am also sorry for what you are going through.....

HOWEVER, I also think you should have checked with their doctor(s) PRIOR to booking.

God forbid something horrible happened out in the middle of the sea, that would be even worse.

Hopefully Carnival, OR the insurance company will work with you.

Good luck!!!!!:D:D

The cruise was to be August 27th. I agree about the Dr...I woke up mad about it all. I'm not saying that Im totally without fault in the matter but I never dreamt that the Dr would say he wouldn't "sign off" on it. I know I've seen old people on a cruise befor with oxygen in their nose and in a wheelchair. I feel so bad for my parents, haven't been able to tell them yet. I'm heart broken. I am just afraid to take them now because if something were to happen I would really feel at fault since the Dr wouldn't condone it.

Those others may not have been under a doctor's care. In some care homes, the contract requires a physician's ok to travel. It is also possible that the ship's doctor could have stepped in and denied boarding or required them to debark at port visit because of a concern the ship personnel would not be able to handle a potential crisis. But just maybe, the physician is right and their health is that frail?

If you've been on Carnival and read these boards then how are you not aware of the cancellation policies?! That makes no sense and I don't feel sorry for you. I have a cruise in 2 weeks and didn't get insurance, if something happens and I can't go then you won't see me on here complaining and making Carnival out to be the bad guy. I also love how you expected Carnival to give you some kind of deal because of your parents age/health and the fact that you already have another vacation planned. That was all I needed to read to know where this was going.

Edited by BigB0882

I'm going to say I'm so sorry for you! It sounds like from your story that you were told one thing by a rep of Carnival's and then when the poop hit the fan things changed. I had that happen to me and lost out on over 500$ in price drops on my Aruba cruise. I was beyond peeved. But it doesn't matter they don't record their calls because should they have to investigate ...and heaven forbid YOU ARE RIGHT and they have to fix something they told you wrong the world would end!:rolleyes: I'm CONVINCED that is why they don't record their calls..they don't train their PVP's right and when you get told something WRONG it's YOUR fault because obviously YOU can't hear...:rolleyes:

I think it's such an awesome thing that you tried to do something nice for them! Speaks volumes about you! Did you let your excitement get the best of you ..maybe but it is indeed the kind thought that counts! Blessings to your family and I hope someone at Carnival will listen and care.