"Choice Promotion Service Charge" What is it??

pajammies

Given that a fairly small percentage of your DSC goes to specifically dinners its not that big of a deal. (On a 7 day cruise that's 21 meals. If you eat 4 in a specialty dining venue, even with the add on charge, that's 1/5 of the about 1/3 that goes to MDR dining (assumption - 50 percent to steward, 33 percent dining, 17 percent back of house is the norm, assuming all monies go to crew, which they don't).

Plus there's also the possibility that you may go to O'sheehans later or the cafe, staff at whom also are part of the pool. Or maybe a late nite snack at the buffet. And someone has to wash the dishes and linens from Cagney's, not like they have a special dish room.

You are having the privilege of double tipping for dinners if you leave your auto gratuity intact. Is that something you want to do?

Thanks, Maxwell !!! I strive to post facts and truth, and some have a problem with that.

That's why I like your posts; informative, truthful, helpful, actionable, no white knighting. This is this, that is that, now take it and decide.

In regards to the choice promo, I have family members "in the same boat". None of the promos appeals to them and isn't worth paying service charges on, but by selecting"nothing" they don't get a credit. They usually cruise NCL every year but didn't book 2015 and probably won't 2016 either.

That's why I like your posts; informative, truthful, helpful, actionable, no white knighting. This is this, that is that, now take it and decide.

In regards to the choice promo, I have family members "in the same boat". None of the promos appeals to them and isn't worth paying service charges on, but by selecting"nothing" they don't get a credit. They usually cruise NCL every year but didn't book 2015 and probably won't 2016 either.

I got the drink perk and won't use it since I don't drink more then one glass of wine at dinner and not every night. NCL gives no credit. The same perk was given to me by Princess and they offered a $500 OBC if I don't want the perk. I'm still sailing NCL ( but have 2 Princess cruises too this year) because they had the dates and departure port I needed but it's nice to know what each cruise line has to offer so you make a decision on all the facts.

• 2 weeks later...

Checking out cruises.

NCL has pick two perks.

So I picked the Drink and Specialty dining.

Noticed CHOICE PROMO SRVC CHRG $200.52

On Celebrity they include the tip in their free perk specials.

So to me, this was a surprise to see.

On top of charge, I have to pay an additionally daily tip?

Can someone tell me what that is?

Checking out cruises.

NCL has pick two perks.

So I picked the Drink and Specialty dining.

Noticed CHOICE PROMO SRVC CHRG $200.52

On Celebrity they include the tip in their free perk specials.

So to me' date=' this was a surprise to see.

On top of charge, I have to pay an additionally daily tip?

Can someone tell me what that is? [/color']

NCL used to do it that way but changed it this fall. This charge is 18% of the package's price and represents the tip.

NCL used to do it that way but changed it this fall. This charge is 18% of the package's price and represents the tip.

Worth noting that bookings in the UK, and probably most of Europe and Australia, still include tips/service charge in the "free" UBP/UDP packages.

Changed already on June 2015. Until the end of April 2015 the service charges of UBP were included for all cabins, since then only for full suites.

So am I correct in understanding there are no gratuities except for specialty restaurants, bar drinks, etc? I'm trying to find what they are and I can't seem to find them.

The gratuities for drinks and specialty restaurant and other purchases are separate and independent from the standard gratuity charge which is 4 the general staff on the ship and your room Steward. My sister and I had to pay $200 in prepaid gratuities for our unlimited beverage package and dining package. We will still be charged $13.50 per person per day for our regular gratuities. And to the person who said "some people consider gratuities to be tips" I would say yes, gratuities by definition ARE tips. If you wish to tip more than 18% that's entirely your prerogative.

Edited by Jana60

The gratuities for drinks and specialty restaurant and other purchases are separate and independent from the standard gratuity charge which is 4 the general staff on the ship and your room Steward. My sister and I had to pay $200 in prepaid gratuities for our unlimited beverage package and dining package. We will still be charged $13.50 per person per day for our regular gratuities. And to the person who said "some people consider gratuities to be tips" I would say yes, gratuities by definition ARE tips. If you wish to tip more than 18% that's entirely your prerogative.

I agree.

A gratuity (also called a tip) is a sum of money customarily tendered, in addition to the basic price,

to certain service sector workers for a service performed or anticipated.

However "tipping" is not be expected since NCL has a fee (service charge) and explicitly charges for the service.

I just noticed this charge on an NCL reservation, googled it and ended up here.

When I look at booking the same sailing through a third party agent however, this charge isn't being charged.

Am I going to be charged on the ship for it or is the third party booking site eating the charge?

Yes, unless the third party is comping you this, you will be charged daily.

So was the OP's question answered?

I'm not sure why these threads are constantly allowed to derail into the same off-topic discussion and arguments over and over again. Moderation, anyone? Anyone? These posts are unrelated to the original question, which was pretty simple and answered right away.

• 1 month later...

With the Pick 2 Perks

I chose the Beverage and Specialty Dining for a 14 day cruise,

Promo Service charge came to $385.20 :eek:

How can they figure in the Specialty Dining Tip if they do not know how many times I will dine there?

Shouldn't the tip be based on the cost of the SD cover charge?

With the Pick 2 Perks

I chose the Beverage and Specialty Dining for a 14 day cruise' date='

Promo Service charge came to $385.20 :eek:

How can they figure in the Specialty Dining Tip if they do not know how many times I will dine there?

Shouldn't the tip be based on the cost of the SD cover charge?[/quote']

It is based on the price of SDP as if you had bought it. Just like the UBP. The service charge is based upon the purchase price, not how many drinks you order and consume nor their individual prices.

It is based on the price of SDP as if you had bought it. Just like the UBP. The service charge is based upon the purchase price, not how many drinks you order and consume nor their individual prices.

I can understand that on the beverage package, but not on the Specialty dining, being each venue has separate cover charge p/p..

Tip on a $15 is quite different than on a $40 S/c. vice versa

So how can they figure that out beforehand?

I can understand that on the beverage package' date=' but not on the Specialty dining, being each venue has separate cover charge p/p..

Tip on a $15 is quite different than on a $40 S/c. vice versa

So how can they figure that out beforehand?[/quote']Like bruadhin said, it's the same as the beverages: They are giving you a package, not individual drinks or individual restaurants. See this page for the retail price of the Specialty Dining Package, based on the number of meals. (Although the choice promotion service charge is based on prices that are $10 lower than the ones I see listed there: It's 18% of $59, $74, $89, and $104 for the 3-, 4-, 5-, and 6-meal SDP. Maybe these will go up when they update the promo tomorrow.)

With the SDP, you can go to an à la carte restaurant but you are not charged à la carte. They just deduct one meal from your package.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

Being they are combining two perks you can't really break down the service charge for each.

There is a breakdown. Look at the tables in the terms of the promo.

For a 14-day cruise, the service charge on the UBP is $173.88 per person, which is 18% of $966 (which would be the retail price of the UBP = $69/day × 14 days).

You a 6-meal SDP, which is worth $104, and they charge you 18%, or $18.72 per person.

So your total service charge is $173.88 for the UBP + $18.72 for the SDP = $192.60 per person

× 2 people = $385.20 :)

hawkeyetlse

Thanks!

Being they are combining two perks you can't really break down the service charge for each.

Just have to take their word for it.

I just hope they are not overcharging :rolleyes:

Put a hold on a cruise. :D Have to swing by DH. :o

Yes, you can break it down.

Simply compute the service charge individually, it should equal the combined service charge.