Do I need a different TA?

Curly-Q

This question probably applies to other cruise lines as well, but I'm curious:

I've noticed that I can get a better price for non-suite cabins booked through my TA; but if I book a suite, then the price is the same as the brochure/on-line price, no difference--no matter the time frame, early or not. I'm not talking about add-ons such as OBC, etc., but the actual price of the cabin.

So, should I shop for a new TA or is this routine for pricing where deals are only available for non-suites? Color me curious....

Travel agents usually book blocks of regular balcony cabins in a variety of categories. I don't think they have any suite deals.

You should change your TA if it doesn't give you substantial OBC. Shop around for that.

I used one of the online agents (I don't think I'm allowed to say who.) I get a weekly e-mail from them and I got what looks to be a *great* deal on a Royal Suite. It was about a month and half out from sailing at the time. It was significantly cheaper through the agent vs. the Celebrity site.

This was the first time I hadn't booked directly with a cruise line so I don't know if this was out of the ordinary.

I think a lot of it probably has to do with timing.

What we didn't get was any sort of travel perk like additional OBC over and above what was being offered by Celebrity (Maybe part of the 123Go deal?) but the price was good enough to make them my first call next time my husband has time to get away from work.

Edited by Peppyrmynt

I found a long time ago that it is foolish to be loyal to any one travel agent. Look online and you will find companies that specialize in specific cruise lines. Some can offer prices far lower than the cruise line itself plus many onboard perks or OBC. Sometimes these prices will pop up for one day only. If you find them, grab them! And enjoy your savings and perks!

We always do better when we phone. Once they know we have credit card in hand they become a little more serious about increasing the OBC.

Yes, you need a new TA. Just make certain that the new one does not charge for reprices or cabin changes.

Edited by iancal

I have always used the same TA, but have never gotten anything from them for loyalty - not even a lower price. My next cruise in 2017, I decided to go directly with the cruise line to book...

Since I have to keep an eye out on the price changes and call my TA for them to call to see if I can get an adjustment, I figured I might as well just to it myself.

Once that cruise sails, I'll decide which is better for me....

I have always used the same TA, but have never gotten anything from them for loyalty - not even a lower price. My next cruise in 2017, I decided to go directly with the cruise line to book...

Since I have to keep an eye out on the price changes and call my TA for them to call to see if I can get an adjustment, I figured I might as well just to it myself.

Once that cruise sails, I'll decide which is better for me....

Have you asked for anything, such as extra obc? If you did and the TA will not give you anything, then try one of the reverse bid sites before you just go to the cruise line direct.