Very disappointed with world cruise ship choice

Secondly, am I correct in assuming that the Navigator uses less fuel than the Voyager? And, to my knowledge, the Navigator is the only ship without pods (until the Explorer is completed) so that issue is alleviated by using the Navigator....Thanks:)

The Nav uses less fuel becasue it is smaller, but I would guess it is the same based on passenger miles.

The Explorer has pod propulsion (azipods).

And think about it. From 2001 to 2010 Regent never used the Navigator for the World Cruise. If it didn't work to use it then, why now.

Lastly on segmenters, one of the reasons to sail the full voyage is to not be a segementer. Those who have done full sailings, be it World Cruise, Discovery. Grand Asia Pacific/Ring of Fire and Circle South America will tell you that it is a totally different passenger experience. Many World Cruiser were repeater several times over.

j

The Nav uses less fuel becasue it is smaller, but I would guess it is the same based on passenger miles.

The Explorer has pod propulsion (azipods).

And think about it. From 2001 to 2010 Regent never used the Navigator for the World Cruise. If it didn't work to use it then, why now.

Lastly on segmenters, one of the reasons to sail the full voyage is to not be a segementer. Those who have done full sailings, be it World Cruise, Discovery. Grand Asia Pacific/Ring of Fire and Circle South America will tell you that it is a totally different passenger experience. Many World Cruiser were repeater several times over.

j

Thank you for information on the Explorer. I assumed that, with the problems that Regent has encountered on the Mariner and Voyager, they would avoid pods. Actually, we thought that we heard that the Exployer would not have pods so this news is surprising.

I did think about why the Navigator had not been used for the WC previously as you suggested. The first thing that came to mind are the multiple issues that she had in the past (prior to being fitted with a "duck tail"). She still has a couple of issues that hopefully will be addressed in 2016 (fairly certain they will be).

The bottom line is that I'm speculating and have no clue why they as using the Navigator. :D

Edited by Travelcat2

Gwain6 and Bill (NewLondon) - It would be great to do a cruise with you two guys someday! We'd probably never leave the bar! I was on the USS Midway CVA41 during '71-'72 time period when it was in the Gulf of Tonkin. As for my sub duties (during the 80's), I'd have to wait until we were together in person to go much into that! ;) But will say that I retired after 38 years (combined military/civilian) with ONI. Bill, during those years I did do several stints up in your "neck of the woods" at the NavWarCollege, as well as some time out in Monterey at the Naval PG School. Best Regards.

A bit of history: The Navigator was the first ship to do the World Cruise for Radisson in 2002. This was either the year the Mariner joined the fleet or just before it did. The 2002 WC was on the Mariner and then in 2003 - and after that until 2011 - the trip was on the Voyager.

Peggy

pingpong and Gwain6, Unfortunately Gwain we never operated with Aussie subs even though during my duty the Essex was a subhunter CVS9.

pingpong we just missed--after my tour on Essex I taught at OCS Newport from '67/'69. Loved the beer and wine fountains at the O club for lunch.

A bit of history: The Navigator was the first ship to do the World Cruise for Radisson in 2002. This was either the year the Mariner joined the fleet or just before it did. The 2002 WC was on the Mariner and then in 2003 - and after that until 2011 - the trip was on the Voyager.

Peggy

It is great that you have such a long history with Radisson/Regent. It seems that none of us thought that the Navigator had done a WC. Were you on that one?

It is great that you have such a long history with Radisson/Regent. It seems that none of us thought that the Navigator had done a WC. Were you on that one?

Speak for yourself; many of us remembered that Navigator had completed a world cruise. Mariner's second world cruise left Ft Lauderdale for the left coast on 7 January 2003 after spending two nights in Key West for pod repairs. Voyager's first world cruise left Ft Lauderdale for LA on 27 December 2003.

edited to add: Purists will state that the World Cruise actually left from California; however, a large number of the pax started in Ft Lauderdale.

Edited by Marq

No, I was not on the Navigator World Cruise - the Royal Viking Sun (called the Seabourn Sun at that point) was still sailing.

The first Radisson WC Cy and I were on was on the Mariner. We did start in Ft Lauderdale and in 2003, we boarded in Ft Lauderdale again and continued on.

Kathy: I stand corrected on the date the Mariner joined the fleet. I do remember that the Voyager first sailed while we were on that first (for us) Mariner trip.

Peggy

Edited by xrvlcruiser

\

Kathy: I stand corrected on the date the Mariner joined the fleet. I do remember that the Voyager first sailed while we were on that first (for us) Mariner trip.

Peggy

The only reason i have all my cruises listed is I would never remember otherwise. It was a thrill to me to be on that inaugural sailing of Mariner and I thought (and still think) she is perfection although I would never sail her on a world cruise after she lost a pod in Alaska 9 years ago when Ship Happened.

I keep a list too - no way I could remember all the details - but you began on Radisson/Regent before I did!

I've never been on a new ship as early as you have but that will change as I will be on the Explorer early on.

Peggy

I keep a list too - no way I could remember all the details - but you began on Radisson/Regent before I did!

I've never been on a new ship as early as you have but that will change as I will be on the Explorer early on.

Peggy

Not to hijack the thread, but my wife told me about an app for smartphones called ShipMate or CruiseShipMate or something like that (the icon is a light blue box with a ship inside) that lets you keep all your previous and upcoming cruise info. You can keep pictures, suite info, port info, etc... I've had a lot of fun with it - might be worth looking at.

BP

Not sure why everyone is so down on the Navigator. The cruise is what you make it. Sea days are a chance to catch up on editing pictures, resting up for the next port, etc. I am way pass the pool games, ping pong tourneys, etc. So any ship is great. And if I am not mistaken, the Silver Seas and Seabourn ships are smaller still.

Eileen

Hooray for Eileen . . . I couldn't agree more!

And some statistics:

382+540 on the Silver Sea Whisper/Spirit

(The Whisper is the ship Silver Sea used for the WC in 2015.)

462 on the Seabourn Sojourn

Peggy

Edited by xrvlcruiser

Bill,

Thanks for the ShipMate app!

Now all I have to do is add my cruises!

Peggy

Please be aware that once you list your cruises, as they get closer, the spam comes to get you to take their tours etc

I use it for the ship layout, nothing more

regards

Dick

maybe not giving them an email address, but that may be necessary to get the app...been quite awhile, so have forgotten

do you have a fake email address? I now use aol, which Ive not been to in many a year. Sadly, for this app, I gave them my real address

Hooray for Eileen . . . I couldn't agree more!

And some statistics:

382+540 on the Silver Sea Whisper/Spirit

(The Whisper is the ship Silver Sea used for the WC in 2015.)

462 on the Seabourn Sojourn

Peggy

It is not so much the maximum passengers but the passenger to space ratio.

Navigator=52

Mariner=62

Silver Whisper=66

Silver Spirit=59

Seabourn Sojourn=70

I have done 88 days in a row B2B2B... on the Navigator. It gets real small after a while. More than that is that is lack the extra restaurant. P7 was an afterthought take-away space. The Stars lounge in the back is small and cut up with no room for dance floor or performers.The computer and coffee lounges are too small. No forward observation lounge, etc, etc.

But then again maybe they are going to sell it real cheap and have a TDF itinerary.

j

491/35

Navigator=52

Mariner=62

Silver Whisper=66

Silver Spirit=59

Seabourn Sojourn=70

I have done 88 days in a row B2B2B... on the Navigator. It gets real small after a while. More than that is that is lack the extra restaurant. P7 was an afterthought take-away space. The Stars lounge in the back is small and cut up with no room for dance floor or performers.The computer and coffee lounges are too small. No forward observation lounge, etc, etc.

But then again maybe they are going to sell it real cheap and have a TDF itinerary.

j

491/35

Agree with your comments 100%!

Navigator=52

Mariner=62

Silver Whisper=66

Silver Spirit=59

Seabourn Sojourn=70

j

491/35

Small correction:

Mariner = 71

Navigator = 67

Voyager = 66

Formula is real simple: GRT / total passengers at two per cabin