flying in on cruise day

beache5182

I find it VERY interesting- the claims- yep I've done it- no problem for you. HA HA. Of course this is ALL hindsight thinking- they did NOT know if they were going to make it or not at the time, either. And certainly can NOT predict the future.

There is a lot of naive thinking here, based on single cruises over months or years. Try taking a look at daily arrival/departure FACTS of airlines.

IF you are going to fly in the day of the cruise- simple math tells you, you have lessor options to "fix" issues than flying in earlier. So- the only choice to make- is if you can accept this or not. Most will get to their cruises. Just not a guaranteed 100% certainty.

We can pick up on a whim and go. We also carry travel insurance - the one thing that many do not have yet they'll get on an airliner a day early only to miss their cruise due to whatever (missing a connection, weather, etc.). There's a story around CC where this did happen to someone flying to Alaska--and no trip insurance. She finally met up with the ship but missed two ports. No worries to me is having the insurance, missing the flight is not the worse thing that can happen.

Facts:

I've flown in the day of for about 24 cruises without a problem.

Fact: I didn't pay for a hotel and added expenses 24 times.

Fact: While I haven't ever been delayed, I have watched cruisers on standby from delays the day before frantically try to get on my flight where I have a confirmed seat.

If I miss my next cruise due to an airline delay, I'll still be way ahead in time and money. I will make the best of it while I'm in Florida deciding if I should catch up with the cruise or go elsewhere. It wouldn't be a horror story or the end of the world.

I have also been already boarded on cruises that waited in Miami for flights to arrive that the cruise lines had booked for their air passengers. So bad weather flight delays alone are not cause to miss the ship.

Remember that I fly from either LGA or JFK non stop with carry on luggage. I don't recommend anyone who is either checking luggage or has connections to attempt what I do. I also have two million mile status with one airline and global entry for security.

BTW, nothing in the future is 100% certain. And I don't worry about the things I can't control.

See I don't consider the hotel and dining for the extra day as an extra expense. It is always part of our vacation. We fly in. Check into our hotel, usually an Embassy Suites. Enjoy a few hours at the pool. Go to the Managers Reception and have a few drinks and pre-dinner snacks. Play some cards with kids if they are with us or with friends/family if they live in the area and reconnect. Walk over to a close restaurant for a nice leisurely dinner. Check out the area. Walk to a close store to pick up our wine and a couple pops to pack in our carry-on. Get up in the morning and enjoy a nice leisurely breakfast (included with the room) before our shuttle comes to pick us up for a hassle free trip to the ship. A nice relaxing pre-cruise vacation day for us...no money wasted.

We have had multiple issues both flying in and driving. On 2 of our flights and 1 of our driving trips if it had been the same day we would have missed our cruise. That is 3 out of our 13 cruises. I'd much rather have a relaxing additional vacation day on land. When we plan our cruise I always make sure that our vacation time allows for this. If our days are limited we just make sure to find a cruise that fits with those days built in. Sometimes it means a 4, 5, or 6 day cruise to make it fit.....but I do consider all those days vacation days and the bonus is less stress when those things that have gone wrong, go wrong. I don't worry about the things that I can't control either....I just make sure to try to reduce the impact they could have on my vacation if they do occur....which they have.

Edited by Warm Breezes

If I miss my next cruise due to an airline delay, I'll still be way ahead in time and money. I will make the best of it while I'm in Florida deciding if I should catch up with the cruise or go elsewhere. It wouldn't be a horror story or the end of the world.

In my opinion, it's NOT a money issue. It's about decreasing the chances of ruining a vacation. Many of us that cruise frequently would probably shrug it off, and like you said, try to make the most of it. It's JUST another cruise. But a lot of people plan and save for their cruise vacations more than a year in advance. It may be the only big vacation they take in years, and for several, the only chance to ever go on a cruise. Why increase the chances of ruining that because "most likely nothing will go wrong and if something does, I'll still be financially ahead because of the money I've saved by not flying the day prior"? It makes little sense to put a monetary value when the planned vacation is that significant.

You're right. It makes no sense to worry about the things that you don't have control over. But you DO have control over when you travel and how much leeway you allow yourself. The expense of missing the ship would not be the main thing in my mind if this ever happened to me because I chose to fly on the day of the cruise. My own stupidity would be.

I wouldn't fly in the day of the cruise - especially in the winter. The year we took the Christmas cruise there was a massive snow storm 2 days before sailing. All of the north east airports were shut down and totally snarled when they did open. All in all ... 400 people missed the cruise. :eek:

I have a cruise 11/28/15 , a Saturday, out of Ft. Lauderdale and am NOT relishing the thought of driving there from Tampa area the day before. Thought pops to mind to fly the quick distance and save on the hotel room.

Then I remember it's just after Thanksgiving. That would be worse than driving!

I would worry if the flight was delayed or cancelled. I always go in the day before just in case

Same here. Even when I drive from the Tampa area to Miami/Ft. Lauderdale I drive in the day before.

I've worked in the airline industry for 14 years, the last 10 of those as a pilot. I can tell you story after story after story about people flying in the day of the cruise and having issues. I've done countless flights to Orlando, Fort Lauderdale and Miami. Some days things go off without a hitch, others not so much. Last time I did a Fort Lauderdale trip, we were scheduled to leave on time. Maintenance decided to take our airplane for another flight and delay us for 2 hours waiting on another plane to come in. Once that airplane came in, it had a few write-ups that had to be taken care of by Maintenance. During the delay, I can't tell you how many people came up to us saying they had a cruise to catch. There was nothing we could do about it.

Personally, I was flying (as a passenger) for my cruise on the Destiny in 2010. We flew in the day before. On the way into Fort Lauderdale, there was a line of thunderstorms in between us and the airport. We ended up in Tampa for over 3 hours as more and more storms passed between us and Fort Lauderdale. Almost 2 dozen people missed cruises on that flight. 6 got to watch the Miracle sail as we taxied in.

I'm sure plenty of you have had no issues flying in the day of, but take it from someone who knows the airline industry, it's not worth the stress and the possibility of ruining your vacation. Fly down the day before and relax.

I hope folks listen to you. I also work in the industry and see all too often what weather and mechanical delays/cancels will do. Great advice from you. And for cruises from Europe, I would feel better arriving 2 days before sailing.

I hope folks listen to you. I also work in the industry and see all too often what weather and mechanical delays/cancels will do. Great advice from you. And for cruises from Europe, I would feel better arriving 2 days before sailing.

Eh, if they listen, they listen. If they don't, I owe them an "I told you so." All of the people saying they're on a nonstop, fairly short flight, etc, fail to realize that there's an entire airline that is also being run around them and not just one flight. There could be crew issues, equipment subs, maintenance, weather, God knows what. There are too many variables and it's just not worth it for me. I'll pony up the extra cash and get a hotel room. Too many things can go wrong in the airline industry. But what do I know, I'm "just the pilot." Chance ruining your vacation if you want, but don't take it out on the crew or airport personnel. You were warned.

Eh, if they listen, they listen. If they don't, I owe them an "I told you so." All of the people saying they're on a nonstop, fairly short flight, etc, fail to realize that there's an entire airline that is also being run around them and not just one flight. There could be crew issues, equipment subs, maintenance, weather, God knows what. There are too many variables and it's just not worth it for me. I'll pony up the extra cash and get a hotel room. Too many things can go wrong in the airline industry. But what do I know, I'm "just the pilot." Chance ruining your vacation if you want, but don't take it out on the crew or airport personnel. You were warned.

You kind of just reminded me of me getting stuck in the Allentown (ABE) airport for over 8 hrs. just to get to Charlotte, N.C., non-stop. True, it was non-stop, but, we didn't get going on time. It was a Sat., less crew on. We started to board and then got stopped with them saying there was a problem with a tire. The talk was is that there was a no show with the crew. Small airport on a weekend is taking a chance! This was USAirways.

Good to know InCharge with flying into SJ. I'm also debating on flying in the same day on our Europe cruise on the Epic next April. There's a non-stop flight from EWR(Newark) into BCN that arrive at 9a.m the day of the cruise. The cruise departs at 5pm. There looks to be other flights on that day, not non-stop that gets in on that morning. I'd like to make those reservations soon as they could sell out and I have just enough miles. It sucks that the taxes for 2 of us on a "free" flight is close to $300.!:eek:

We flew into London on the red-eye and from experience I can say we were exhausted. Due to folks talking around us we were unable to more than cat-nap on the plane. We checked into our London hotel around 10am and slept the rest of the day until dinner time. It ate away one of our 4 days in London before we left for the British Grand Prix and 2 1/2 weeks touring via train before we sailed home. Had we been joining a cruise we'd have had a lousy 1st day aboard.

OP- Do what makes you comfortable. I have done both without a problem. I do take into account what time of year I am traveling, where I am traveling to, and the cost of an overnight stay.

This upcoming trip (August 2015) is my first cruise out of San Juan and I was nervous about thunderstorms, hurricane season, etc. so I chose to travel the day before. There is a large group of us, about 40 people, most chose to travel the day of the cruise since it leaves at 10pm but about 6 of us will be traveling that day before on a night flight out of EWR arrives in SJU about midnight. We booked one room just to lay our head and freshen up before we board the ship the next day. It keeps me from having anxiety attacks and fussing all damn day and give us a chance (36 hours or so), if needed, to get to the ship without missing it just in case we have delays.

Like I said do what makes you comfortable. Grab a few friends and get a room the night before and rest easy. Just my 2 cents!!! Enjoy your cruise.:D:D:D

I always fly in the day before. But this time, I'm taking the last flight out the night before, and THAT'S making me nervous! I would be a worried mess if I left the day of.

As far as costs for getting in the day before, if you're not requiring 4* beach front amenities, you can get a very nice hotel in FLL or MIA for not very much at all. I use Hotwire or Priceline and always get 3* or 4* hotels for $70 or less. My cruise coming up I got a 4* Intercontinental for $67 total. More power to those that stay right on the water, but you don't have to spend $150-200 on a hotel, and then another $100+ on dinner, and then also go shopping and pay for activities.

For 2 people, I can rent a car, get a hotel, eat well and get to the port the next day for under $150, quite easily, and have peace of mind. If I was willing to stay at a less nice hotel and eat fast food, I could do it for under $100. I can afford more, but just for a place to relax and rest my head (after you've done FLL or MIA a few times, there really isn't anything to do), I'd rather spend the extra $$$ on the ship or in port.

I used the cruise lines air once back in 1989 when we went on the Carnivale for a 4 night Bahamas. It was our first cruise vacation and the T.A. booked it all. I remember getting to Florida and they put us all in a small area and had to wait for hours until other flights came in. The whole thing was a bad experience!

We started cruising again in 2001 and did our own air.

If the cruise line does your air for you do they fly you in the same day? What happens if there is a delay?

For the folks who keep saying "it's not worth the risk, just fly the day before", that is not always an option. Sometimes people can't get enough time off work to fly the day before, or it's significantly cheaper to fly in the day of, or they are dropping the kiddos off with the grandfolks and they can't drop them off until the evening before or early morning of the cruise. It ain't always about people just wanting to take a risk. Please stop trying to make folks feel like dummies for flying in the day of. Anything can happen but likely they'll be ok. If not, they'll have to choose whether or not they wish to pay to catch up to the boat at the first port.

If you can fly in the day before.....good for you; not everyone can!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to know InCharge with flying into SJ. I'm also debating on flying in the same day on our Europe cruise on the Epic next April. There's a non-stop flight from EWR(Newark) into BCN that arrive at 9a.m the day of the cruise. The cruise departs at 5pm. There looks to be other flights on that day, not non-stop that gets in on that morning. I'd like to make those reservations soon as they could sell out and I have just enough miles. It sucks that the taxes for 2 of us on a "free" flight is close to $300.!:eek:

You better check again. By time you "miss" your scheduled flight, there won't be many/any other flights that are going to get you there, in time for the cruise. And certainly won't be available on the airline you are using, add to the mix, full flights.

So, you need to be accepting of that single flight getting your there or not. I always add at least another week in Barcelona anyway, wonderful city to tour.

For the folks who keep saying "it's not worth the risk, just fly the day before", that is not always an option. Sometimes people can't get enough time off work to fly the day before, or it's significantly cheaper to fly in the day of, or they are dropping the kiddos off with the grandfolks and they can't drop them off until the evening before or early morning of the cruise. It ain't always about people just wanting to take a risk. Please stop trying to make folks feel like dummies for flying in the day of. Anything can happen but likely they'll be ok. If not, they'll have to choose whether or not they wish to pay to catch up to the boat at the first port.

If you can fly in the day before.....good for you; not everyone can!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't seen anyone trying to make others feel like dummies. I have seen a lot of folks posting their own experiences and things that they have seen as a warning about the risks of coming in the same day. I personally would not book a cruise if I could not get in the day before. I just wouldn't do it. I always know my available timeline and make sure my cruise can fit in it with the needed travel time, even if it means a shorter cruise. I've personally had too many delays in traveling to a cruise to take that kind of risk.

I generally fly in day of IF:

1. the flight is nonstop and arrives at least five hours before the cruise departs.

2. its the first flight out and there are at least two more possible options that will get me to the ship on time.

To me the vacation time and money saved is worth the risk.

Em

I have taken 3 cruises so far- flown to 2 and drove to 1. Both flights were day of and I had no problems. This last cruise we did Carnival's Fly Aweigh and they flew us in the day of the cruise- I think they usually do that. We also took their transfer this last time. We drove in the day before but that was because we drove from Chicago to New Orleans- a 14 1/2 hour drive. Too hard to do it the same day and as New Orleans is one of my favorite cities we enjoyed ourselves. As many have said flying in the day before is not always feasible. Make sure you have travel insurance and do carry-on only. Our flight this time landed in Miami at 1:30 for a 4 PM cruise. We were fine and s was the whole busful of people who also took the transfer. Good luck and have fun!!!!!

OP, as you can see by everyone's posts, there's no easy answer, as no one could predict what'll happen. No matter what time of year there can always be problems with the weather. I, myself, wouldn't attempt it if it wasn't a non-stop flight and gets in many hours before you have to check-in. In the past, my ds and her dh have gotten to the cruiseport right before they pull up the ramp. That's the way they "fly"! I don't think they allow that now.

Like I've written here earlier, I'm seriously considering the same day, non-stop, to P.R., as I really don't care to see 2 more days of P.R.

I have taken 3 cruises so far- flown to 2 and drove to 1. Both flights were day of and I had no problems. This last cruise we did Carnival's Fly Aweigh and they flew us in the day of the cruise- I think they usually do that.

Not much stress using Fly Aweigh as they will get you to the ship at their expense if you don't get in in time, that is completely different from someone flying in the day of on their own and missing the ship!

Unless you plan to travel during the dead of winter you're chances of having a problem with a 9 AM arrival is pretty safe. Fly out of St. Louis all the time (fall and spring) for cruises and have never had a problem and some of our arrivals have been 12;35 PM with a 40 minute ride to the pier. Besides, if a delay is weather related you'll have a lot of company and the ship will wait as long as possible. AND take the insurance.

Im sweating our cruise coming up... Our honeymoon cruise is on July 12th and we are getting married on July 11th. So flying in the day before was not an option... And I couldnt find a decent itinerary for the 13th that we hadnt taken many times. Im hoping that since we are flying out, on a non-stop, giving ourselves about 4 hours of delay time, we will be ok. Also, we are flying into Fort Lauderdale, so if at last resort, we may be able to catch a flight to Miami and drive over...

Everybody say a prayer to the cruise/airline gods for us! :)

I have flown in many times the day of the cruise but like others said, I will only book the first available early morning non-stop flight. I'm flying in the day of my Bermuda cruise from Boston...I have the first non-stop flight leaving at 0630. There are hourly flights to Boston so I am hoping that will be my back-up plan if something goes wrong. I can't leave the day before as I have to work a 12-hour shift.

I have flown in multiple times the morning of the cruise to Orlando with no problems and made it to the port in plenty of time. If I cruise from Miami or Port Everglades, I will usually fly in a day early to visit my elderly grandmother who lives in that area. We cruised the Oasis of the Seas this past Feb and our area experienced a really bad snow storm three days before the cruise that crippled and shut down our city (we do not typically get heavy snow where I live). I was really worried about making our flight the day before the cruise, and I actually booked a one-way rental to Ft Lauderdale to have a back up plan. Turns out the airport re-opened and we made our flight just fine! I was really nervous!!

Not much stress using Fly Aweigh as they will get you to the ship at their expense if you don't get in in time, that is completely different from someone flying in the day of on their own and missing the ship!

If one happens to have booked their own flight which also has Fly Aweigh pax on it, you will get to the port at the same time they do. The ship will wait for them.

Cruising in Fla in November and flying out of NY so we have a 8am flight but wife and daughter have one in January and that one they are flying day before cause of possible snow.

All circumstances are different