Pacific vs. Ruby

geoherb

We're looking at two cruises. One is on the Pacific Princess and the other on the Ruby Princess. We've sailed several times on the Ruby, Emerald, and Crown and know what they're like. We've never sailed on one of Princess' little ships. How do they compare in terms of food and entertainment?

We sailed on the PP in 2008 and the Ruby in 2010. We enjoyed both. The food was about the same quality on both. The Ruby has all the upscale the PP does not like the Piazza. The entertainment was production shows v lounge acts. There must be a 20 year difference in age of the ships. It is difficult to compare them. Having said all of this we are booked on the Ocean since it is the size vessel we prefer.

We sailed on the PP in 2008 and the Ruby in 2010. We enjoyed both. The food was about the same quality on both. The Ruby has all the upscale the PP does not like the Piazza. The entertainment was production shows v lounge acts. There must be a 20 year difference in age of the ships. It is difficult to compare them. Having said all of this we are booked on the Ocean since it is the size vessel we prefer.

PP was built as R-3 in 1999.

Ruby Princess was built in 2008.

Comparing the Pacific Princess to the Ruby Princess is like comparing the Ruby Princess to the Allure OTS. They both float. They both go places. The same thing can be said about the difference between the Pacific Princess and the Ruby Princess as are said about the comparison to the Allure: people say they don't need wave riders and rock climbing walls to have a great cruise. Well, on the Pacific Princess you don't have the Piazza or Thermal Suite or the IC. If you need those things, you'll be disappointed.

We really didn't know how we would like the Pacific Princess when we first boarded it last year, but it quickly became one of our most favorite ships. There are enough of those things unique Princess to make it feel comfortable and familiar but even the venues have totally different names. I'm trying to think of anything bad about the ship for me personally and I guess I would have to say the Panorama Buffet is small and options are necessarily more limited. And the Pacific Princess doesn't have Anytime Dining. Really, that's about it.

Are the ports similar? I enjoyed the sea days on the Crown Princess (sister ship to the Ruby) more than the Pacific. Also the Pacific only has one swimming pool and it's a salt water pool. How many days will you be on the ship? There's no MUTS on the Pacific. I wouldn't say "no" to the Pacific, but on a longer itinerary, with lots of sea days, I would probably pick the Ruby.

As far as entertainment, the shows in the main theater are the same types as on the other Princess ships. However the production shows will have only two (not four) main singers and a lower number of dancers and not as much scenery. The quality and enthusiasm of the production show casts are at least as good.

The Pacific Lounge will have a small band playing in the evening and yhere is a dance floor there.

I think of the Pacific and the Ruby (or similar ships) like the difference between a local grocery store and a chain supermarket. You can find what you want in the grocery store and the service is probably very personal but they may not have ten brands/varieties of everything to choose from.

I love sailing on small ships: only a couple of minutes to walk from one end to the other, personal service, service staff get to know you quickly, and it's easy to get to know your fellow passengers. I can't tell you how many times I've sat waiting for disembarkation and thinking, "I've never seen any of these people before even though we all just took a 2/3 week cruise." I like that I can be more sociable on a small ship and see people I'd like to get to know better. I've taken 2-week cruises on the big ships knowing I have acquaintances onboard and never run into them.

Edited by Pam in CA

I love the small ships, I love being able to get to know people, crew and PAX alike.

But if you want bells and whistles and need to be entertianed around the clock PP isn't for you.

I've sailed on each of those 2 ships and love each one for it's own attributes. However, if the itineraries were equally appealing, I would choose the Pacific over the Ruby. Small ship sailing is such a different experience, and should be tried while there's still a small ship in the Princess fleet. It will be such a sad day when they are both gone, and IMHO, Princess is making a mistake in getting rid of both of them. But CCL is all about $$, and not interested in catering to the wishes of those who love cruising on the "little white ladies".

On the Pacific I like the same things as others have mentioned. Plus, I especially enjoy dining at the buffet, and taking my food outside to the seating area just aft of the buffet. Whether it's sunny or looking like there might be rain, there is a canopy that the crew can unfurl for protection. The aft views are often lovely, and it's a great place to be for sailing out of ports.

Small ship sailing is such a different experience, and should be tried while there's still a small ship in the Princess fleet. It will be such a sad day when they are both gone, and IMHO, Princess is making a mistake in getting rid of both of them. But CCL is all about $$, and not interested in catering to the wishes of those who love cruising on the "little white ladies".

If the small ships are profitable, then they should not be sold. However, many company get rid of profitable areas because they do not like how little the profit is.

The small ships allow for unique itineraries that the larger ships cannot offer. Princess in the past has had a great variety of itineraries, many of which have been on smaller vessels.

Princess may end up making more profit sailing FLL-Grand Turk- ST. Maarten-Princess Cays-FLL, but that is not the same attraction for many potential cruisers as the Norweigan Fjords and up the Amazon River to Manaus.

Thanks for the responses.

We haven't sailed on the little ships in the Princess fleet. The smallest ships we've been on are HAL's Veendam and Maasdam, which carry about twice the number of passengers as the Pacific Princess.

The itineraries are both Alaskan cruises, so the swimming pool wouldn't matter that much. I've never been a fan of MUTS.

We have sailed 73 days on the Pacific and Ocean Princess. We love the small ship experience. There are not the big shows, but the six dancers and two singers in the shows on the PP put on much better shows than the same shows we saw on the Golden.

Because there are fewer passengers, wait times are not as long. You get to meet so many more people and know them well. The staff are not as worn out from countless turnover days.

We are looking forward to the 2016 World cruise on the Pacific Princess, and we sure hope they don't sell her.

Although we have not been on the Pacific Princess, one of my favorite cruises was aboard the Tahitian Princess, which has been renamed the Ocean Princess which is a sister ship and virtually identical to the Pacific. Of course we spent 12 days on The Ruby. These are our two favorite ships. There are similarities and differences.

The similarities revolve around the general Princess experience. Food, service, ports, activities all were great.

The differences were more involved in passenger count and choices. We got to know more people on the smaller ship, simply since we saw them more often. Choices? Well there are many more on the Ruby, from places to eat and general choices in food. Also choices in entertainment. The Ruby has 4 pools the Pacific has one. The Ruby has more bars and clubs with entertainment. The much larger main theater is different, but not necessarily better, the smaller is more intimate. In the end there was more than enough to do on both ships, since, in the end, you can only be one place at a time.

Both ships are beautiful and a wonderful way to spend you cruise vacation. There is no wrong answer.

Edited by Matcodixon

Thanks for the responses.

We haven't sailed on the little ships in the Princess fleet. The smallest ships we've been on are HAL's Veendam and Maasdam, which carry about twice the number of passengers as the Pacific Princess.

The itineraries are both Alaskan cruises, so the swimming pool wouldn't matter that much. I've never been a fan of MUTS.

We've sailed 24 nights on the Maasdam and that ship is most what the Pacific Princess reminded us of. Loved them both.

It is difficult to compare those two ships since its truly Apples vs Applettes! Personally, we would always opt for the smallest ship (one of our favorite only had 20 passengers) over the mega-ships. Small ship cruising it a different kind of experience. One might consider that nearly all the ultra-luxury lines use small ships. It is true that you will not find ice shows, major broadway productions, etc. on small ships. And to this we say, hooray!

Hank

It is difficult to compare those two ships since its truly Apples vs Applettes! Personally, we would always opt for the smallest ship (one of our favorite only had 20 passengers) over the mega-ships. Small ship cruising it a different kind of experience. One might consider that nearly all the ultra-luxury lines use small ships. It is true that you will not find ice shows, major broadway productions, etc. on small ships. And to this we say, hooray!

Hank

All I can say is hear hear.

Hank

I've done 8 Princess cruises on the bigger ships and by the time I sail the Pacific Princess in 2017 it will be 10. I'm looking forward to our first small ship experience. I know there will be differences, but I'm still looking forward to the different experience a small ship has to offer.....:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

I sailed on the Ocean Princess - sister to the Pacific - on a trans-Atlantic from Civitavecchia to Fort Lauderdale, and my wife and I both enjoyed her more than the larger ships - even with the large number of sea days.

We enjoyed getting to know the other passengers and the crew on the small ship. As stated before, the production shows had fewer singers and fewer dancers and did not have the fancy effects in the theaters, but the shows were a much more intimate experience.

The best meal service I have had on any Princess ship was breakfast at Sabatini's on the Ocean Princess. With such a small ship (only ten suites), the waiter quickly learned what each of us wanted. Also we got to know the other people having breakfast there.

It really depends on what is important to you on a cruise. The Pacific and Ocean Princess don't have a lot of things that the larger ships have, and if those things are important to you then they're not the right ships for you. But if you are looking for a nice relaxing vacation without the crowds, then they beat the larger ships.