Taking a case of water on board

I know this question has been asked/answered, but it seems problematic to me so i wanted to make sure I can really do this. I have carried water on board, but never put a luggage tag on it and given it to the porters. However i would love to because we have a lot of other stuff to carry on so my question is has anyone ever had an issue doing this? Seems like it could be an issue given the way they stack that luggage up in those carts, not to mention the whole package coming apart given some aren't packaged real well. Of course we will pick a case with good packaging, but it still seems like it would come apart given how they handle loading luggage on the ship.

We sale getaway next week out of miami.

thoughts?

thx

We've done this twice in Miami with no issues -- the last time being March of this year. You shouldn't have a problem.

We do take packing tape with us, so if you would feel better, bring a roll and reinforce the water.

I know we are talking different port terminals, but we just cruised and embarked in Barcelona. We checked our luggage, boarded, went to our room to drop off our carry ons, then walked back off into the terminal to buy a case of water which we carried on ourselves. To walk off, buy the case, then walk back on took all of about 10 minutes. Do all terminals have stores where you can buy cases of water?

I know we are talking different port terminals, but we just cruised and embarked in Barcelona. We checked our luggage, boarded, went to our room to drop off our carry ons, then walked back off into the terminal to buy a case of water which we carried on ourselves. To walk off, buy the case, then walk back on took all of about 10 minutes. Do all terminals have stores where you can buy cases of water?

No. Nothing near Miami port.

I had some difficulties with the longshoremen at the TAMPA terminal in April. I had two cases of water, wrapped in shrink wrap, with baggage tags, and was told by them that beverages were not allowed to be take at the pier. I inquired when that had started, and they tried to tell me it was NCL policy. I demanded they contact the Food and Beverage manager onboard the Sun, and within five minutes or so, someone from inside the terminal came out and confirmed it was OK to put the water in the baggage container. I hate to be a pain, but I was traveling with four of my grandkids, and I prefer having them drink water rather than soda.

Guest phd1003
What is their current per person luggage allowance limit?

I think it's 2 - 50 lb. bags pp...In the past we would take a case of water and a case of Coke (pepsi products on board) tape them together and drop them with the porter...No problems

I think it's 2 - 50 lb. bags pp...In the past we would take a case of water and a case of Coke (pepsi products on board) tape them together and drop them with the porter...No problems

Wow, i didnt realize there was a restriction on how many bags you can bring on. And a weight limit too. Im actually allowed to go up to 75lbs on the airline i use...

You really are not limited...no one is counting! However, they do want the baggage folks to be able to lift your bags...so don't make them too heavy!

If you can put your beverages into a suitcase, then that works better...they like handles!

Frankly, the ship's water is fine and included...you will never go thirsty and really don't need to lug a case of water!!!

Guest phd1003
You really are not limited...no one is counting! However, they do want the baggage folks to be able to lift your bags...so don't make them too heavy!

If you can put your beverages into a suitcase, then that works better...they like handles!

Frankly, the ship's water is fine and included...you will never go thirsty and really don't need to lug a case of water!!!

How many suitcases can I bring?

Each person is allowed up to two pieces of personal luggage on board, with each piece weighing a maximum of 50 pounds. However, if passengers are traveling by air, they need to check with the airline for specific restrictions.

http://www.ncl.com/faq#how-many-suitcases

Good, its been about 2 years since our last cruise, and i never saw them counting bags. Wondering if that was a new thing or something.

Yes, i wasnt thinking this morning. We are going to pack a duffle bag to put the water in. Sounds much easier than trying to make the case the water comes in porter proof...

Thanks for the info.

Wow, i didnt realize there was a restriction on how many bags you can bring on. And a weight limit too. Im actually allowed to go up to 75lbs on the airline i use...

Yep, we're allowed two 70 lb bags per person.

There is no reason to take water on board as you won't get better filtered water than on board. Take couple large bottles then refill as you go.

More than half the bottled water sold in the US is simply tap water. Dasani and Aquafina as examples. They are not "spring water", just your basic municipal water supply, aka: tap water, possibly with an extra filtering process.

The selling point is the convenience of having it pre-bottled.

Good, its been about 2 years since our last cruise, and i never saw them counting bags. Wondering if that was a new thing or something.

Yes, i wasnt thinking this morning. We are going to pack a duffle bag to put the water in. Sounds much easier than trying to make the case the water comes in porter proof...

Thanks for the info.

That's what we did, we put water and soda cases in a rolling duffle. (We only brought sodas because my MIL will only drink caffeine free diet coke. ). Shoes went in that bag too. Then we used to room for souvenirs on the way back.

In reference to the amount of luggage, there is nothing in the guest contract or on the NCL website that limits the amount or weight of luggage you can take onto the ship. When I take my dive equipment with me, I have 4 suitcases, one for dive gear, one for camera equipment, one for clothes and one for shoes/toiletries/books/misc. The dive suitcase weighs more than 55 lbs. easy.

Unless someone can show me the written restrictions, I am not aware of any and no one has ever questioned why DH and I have 6 suitcases between us on any of our previous NCL cruises (or any other cruise line, for that matter - other than when we had to fly to get to the ship).

In reference to cases of water, I personally don't understand why someone would want to lug bottles of water (which you can no longer do on Carnival Cruise line as of July 9 unless it's in a can or carton - no bottles due to booze smugglers). Water on the ship is just fine (do you use ice cubes?). But, to each his own.

Edited by Diver2014

In reference to the amount of luggage, there is nothing in the guest contract or on the NCL website that limits the amount or weight of luggage you can take onto the ship. When I take my dive equipment with me, I have 4 suitcases, one for dive gear, one for camera equipment, one for clothes and one for shoes/toiletries/books/misc. The dive suitcase weighs more than 55 lbs. easy.

Unless someone can show me the written restrictions, I am not aware of any and no one has ever questioned why DH and I have 6 suitcases between us on any of our previous NCL cruises (or any other cruise line, for that matter - other than when we had to fly to get to the ship).

It is addressed in the Frequently Asked Questions but as mentioned previously in the thread it is not enforced.

Guest phd1003
How many suitcases can I bring?

Each person is allowed up to two pieces of personal luggage on board, with each piece weighing a maximum of 50 pounds. However, if passengers are traveling by air, they need to check with the airline for specific restrictions.

In reference to cases of water, I personally don't understand why someone would want to lug bottles of water (which you can no longer do on Carnival Cruise line as of July 9 unless it's in a can or carton - no bottles due to booze smugglers). Water on the ship is just fine (do you use ice cubes?). But, to each his own.

There is restrictions listed on the NCL website...

Last time I sailed NCL I spent sail-away in the naughty room picking up my luggage because I had packed water bottles in my suitcase. It was not a good start to the cruise and I'll never put water bottles in my luggage again.

Last time I sailed NCL I spent sail-away in the naughty room picking up my luggage because I had packed water bottles in my suitcase. It was not a good start to the cruise and I'll never put water bottles in my luggage again.

Did they say why because i was more concerned about the packaging, not the fact that it wasnt allowed. I havent seen anything on NCLs website forbidding bottled water.

It is addressed in the Frequently Asked Questions but as mentioned previously in the thread it is not enforced.

Thank you. At least now I know....although you are correct, it is not enforced (for now anyway....). We'll see what happens on the Escape come December when I have my dive gear for Tortola and Nassau. Since my sister in law and her DH are coming with us, if there is a problem, we'll just send one of our suitcases with them. They pack light. :cool: Still won't be bringing water or soda though.

Did they say why because i was more concerned about the packaging, not the fact that it wasnt allowed. I havent seen anything on NCLs website forbidding bottled water.

Because they can't open your luggage to see that those are water bottles, at least sealed water bottles. Don't pack beverages in checked luggage, and avoid the hassle.