Opinions please

dwaterhouse

Our cruise is in October, and we are cruising from port Everglades, so hopefully flights will go down, but here are our options:

Option #1

Fly in day of. Non-stop to Miami arrive @ 838 am and fly out at 1pm connect in Charlotte and get home at 530 for $ 906 for 2 people.

Option # 2

Fly in day of to ft lauderdale arrive @ 930 am , but we have a connecting flight in Charlotte. And get home the same as above, but the price is $ 1600.

For me it's a no brainier, but hubby ....

Opinions please, maybe you can change his mind.

Our cruise is in October, and we are cruising from port Everglades, so hopefully flights will go down, but here are our options:

Option #1

Fly in day of. Non-stop to Miami arrive @ 838 am and fly out at 1pm connect in Charlotte and get home at 530 for $ 906 for 2 people.

Option # 2

Fly in day of to ft lauderdale arrive @ 930 am , but we have a connecting flight in Charlotte. And get home the same as above, but the price is $ 1600.

For me it's a no brainier, but hubby ....

Opinions please, maybe you can change his mind.

i would fly in day b4 you could have mechanical problems

I would take option 1. The cost difference is a no brainer and you seem to have a direct flight in to Miami. It should be easy enough to get a shuttle to Port Everglades.

Why does your husband disagree?

He doesn't want the 45 min- 1hr bus ride from Miami to ft lauderdale

I say definately #1 due to the price and being non-stop.... I argued with him it's the same when we flew into Orlando to get to port canaveral ... It's just a lil further away, and really spending $700 more for 1 hour and the fll flight lands an hour later anyway.... We would get to the ship about the same time either way

Edited by dwaterhouse

I say definately #1 due to the price and being non-stop.... I argued with him it's the same when we flew into Orlando to get to port canaveral ... It's just a lil further away, and really spending $700 more for 1 hour and the fll flight lands an hour later anyway.... We would get to the ship about the same time either way

Get private transportation like a limo if the transport is a big deal. Unless you have more money than you need, option 1 makes the most sense.

Option 1 seems like the most logical choice. Even with the transfer to Port Everglades from Miami. I have done the opposite many times, transferring to Miami from Port Everglades and the ride is not that bad. 45 minutes at the most, and that is with traffic.

At the time of year you're cruising flying in the same day should not be an issue, either. I've only not flown in the same day twice, once when I made an error in booking my flight and booked it for one day earlier, and once when we sailed from California. I always make sure I get the earliest flight out in case there are any delays.

In any event, enjoy your cruise!!!

Option 1 definitely! Not only is it $700 cheaper, but it's nonstop. When flying in the day of the cruise, a connecting flight will basically double your risk of something going wrong that could cause you to miss the cruise.

Option 1 definitely! Not only is it $700 cheaper, but it's nonstop. When flying in the day of the cruise, a connecting flight will basically double your risk of something going wrong that could cause you to miss the cruise.

Or losing your luggage!

I am a Captain for a major airlines. I fly to Florida often. A non-stop flight is way more preferable. Just show your hubby a picture of the radar in Charlotte on a bad weather day. First, you can get delayed at your origin for something and miss the connection. Second you could get a weather delay at Charlotte (or enroute). Third you could have some other delay in Charlotte (mechanical). Fourth your luggage could "misconnect." Fifth (and this is important) it's nearly half price. What is he thinking? Get a one way car rental if he doesn't want to hire a shuttle. Guaranteed you'll still save lot's of money.

Seriously, no brainer for me.

Good luck. Have a great cruise.

Tell your husband that FLL is only a 25 to 30 minute ride from Miami. Surely that's less time than the layover in Charlotte.

We always fly into/out of FLL for Miami cruises. We reserve a ride with SAS Shuttle (ridesas.com) for $15 pp.

So spring for a private car service. Given the price difference for the flights you'll still come out way ahead, and you'll be much more comfortable than you would be in a van with other people, a bus, etc.

Why don't you take option 1 and your husband option 2. At least one of you will save some money, and if he misses the cruise because of the connection you can say 'I told you!' and you will have the whole cabin to yourself.

and there is a recent thread of a person who got stuck at DFW overnight on the way to their cruise. They had an extra day built in so they were safe for making their cruise, lucky they were not flying in the day of....

Split up. Meet him on the ship. :) I don't try to "convince" anyone, and I don't compromise, in this case- you have a better chance of making your cruise. The second choice, likely won't have any other option- something goes wrong- there isn't going to be time for alternative plans.

Sorry but in both cases you are flying in the day of the cruise and that is a big mistake.

What will you do if your flight is cancelled?

Do this happen?

Yes.

Do yourself a favor and fly in the day before.

Things happen.

Keith

Used to live on the Beach. Fly in #1 but on a flite which has later flites in case of any problems. Or a Red eye in prior nite. Miami never sleeps. SAS is a FLL business, not allowed to do trips out of MIA. Allow 1 hour MIA-FLL on shuttle. Go shuttle does MIA airport.