Inside cabin

You can set the TV to the forward deck cam station and turn the volume off. Then in the morning it will serve as sort of a window to see what's going on outside. You can decorate your door, so you recognize your room as you make your way down the endless corridor. We like to leave the bathroom light on and close the bathroom door the light will shine under the door incase someone wakes in the middle of the night to use the facilities.

After years and years of cruising we had an inside cabin this year. It was not as bad as we expected and given the right price, would sail in an inside again , especially if the cruise was less than a week.

The cabin will likely be small so stay organized and straightened. We bring magnets or magnetic clips to keep papers together and off the small desk. walls. There is a recent cabin hacks thread that might provide ideas for you.

I bring a small family photo on every cruise. Never needed any other personalization in the cabin or needed to make it fun but I hope these tips help.

enjoy

M

Personally I love inside cabins. They are so nice and dark at night, providing excellent sleep, and have a "cave" feel. I have never even tried to get anything else because the value is usually so much better. Enjoy!

We've always done interior cabins; on our last cruise we were celebrating our anniversary so I got the anniversary room decor package. Absolutely loved it, and I'm tempted to bring some of the decor with us on future cruises, but not fully decided yet. We also usually ask the cabin steward to leave the towel animals and by the end we've got a decent collection of them sitting on the dresser or sofa.

IMHO, when you are booking a cruise you will have the option of choosing an interior cabin, a cabin with a view, or a balcony cabin. And then , of course, there are suites which have balconies, a huge space, and often come with a butler. But for this post, I want to mention 5 of the biggest reasons for choosing at least a balcony stateroom. Yes, they do cost more, and you might be tempted to just get an ocean view, but here are some things to consider before you make that decision for your next cruise.

Better Views: Most balcony staterooms have floor to ceiling transparent doors which give you a much better view than just a window, whether it be a porthole or full sized window. And let’s face it, when you are cruising it’s all about taking in the sights. What better way to enjoy these sights than from the comfort of your own room where you can order free room service and put your feet up.

Ocean Air Anytime You Want It For me this is the biggest reason to get a balcony stateroom. Even if you can still see the ocean with a window in your stateroom, or imagine it with an interior stateroom, there is nothing like feeling the ocean breeze as you cruise from island to island. When the cruise ship really gets moving the breeze can be a little too intense, but even if you want to stay inside your cabin and leave the door open a little it’s nice to breathe in that ocean air. Most cruise ships want you to keep the door closed but this is mostly because they don’t want to pay for keeping a room cool if the door is open. Just make sure you turn the thermostat up or down depending on the temperature outside.

More Private Don’t get me wrong. It’s nice to be able to lay out on the pool deck with a lounge chair and get some sun, but sometimes the pool deck can get a little too busy and crowded for my taste. That’s why it’s nice to be able to back to your own private room and put your feet up where no one can bother you. You might have a few rowdy passengers in other balconies, but usually during the day it’s quite quiet and peaceful out there

Easier to Wake Up I know sometimes budgets don’t allow for an upgrade to a balcony stateroom on a cruise ship, but interior staterooms just don’t allow you to wake up naturally. It’s just as dark when you went to sleep as when you get up. I loved being able to wake up to the natural sunlight coming through the glass doors. There is no need for an alarm clock and you don’t feel detached from reality. In an inside cabin we had once, we got into our bathing suits on a sea day, & went up to the pool deck, only to find it was pouring! We were the only idiots out there…another time we missed breakfast because it was so dark, we thought it was still like 3 AM, so we kept going back to bed..I don’t like that- I like to sleep naturally and LOVE opening the curtains & seeing the wonders of the sea instead of the wonders of a broom closet…just MHO..

Experience the Ocean Life More On my last cruise my wife and I got to see dolphins swimming around the ship while we were sailing to one of our ports. They were right along the ship and jumping in and out of the water. It was quite a sight to see and we never would have seen this if we didn’t have a balcony. We spent a lot of time just leaning on the railing and looking out into the water, and spotted several other kinds of oceanic life, which was a wonderful part of our cruising experience. Not everyone will be able to afford a balcony stateroom, but if you are able to modify the budget enough to pay for one, it will be well worth it. The best balconies are on the back of the ship. They are bigger balconies and a little more private since you don’t have as many neighbors, but usually you will have to pay a little extra for these as well…to me, I’m on a cruise to experience the sea..what’s the point of being on a cruise ship if you can’t see the sea or the waves, or smell the salt air, feel the wind & sun on your face, have breakfast on your private balcony ( very cool & VERY romantic!!)…when I go to a hotel, I don’t ask for a room without a window, and in hotels don’t you LOVE when you have a balcony over looking the beach or water? I do..I’m on vacation, and I save for a balcony..if I can’t cruise in one, I won’t cruise..we work too hard to spend a week in a mole..BTW, we are not wealthy, but last year, I found balconies on the Oasis for only $125 more than insides on a 5 night Halloween cruise for my wife’s b’day…well worth it & she deserves it, don’t you?

Big Al

I think an inside vs balcony so depends on where you are going. If you are sailing from island to island, a balcony is lovely. If you are on a transatlantic, the wind, spray, weather often prevents you from enjoying a balcony.

Privacy is also another issue. We had an obstructed cabin where the outside platform was frequented DAILY by workers. One even peeked inside...very obvious and was he startled to find me looking right back at him. I thought we wouldn't have that issue on a balcony but then you have the window cleaning guys on their little trolley. That was sure a surprise in the middle of the Pacific Ocean! Good thing we were fully clothed..

One trick that I think was mentioned is to keep the TV on the channel that shows the bow view, if you want to wake up with the sunrise.

My daughter, who has never cruised, said that she would feel claustrophobic in an inside. I asked her if she had her eyes open or closed when she slept. It just isn't an issue for us as we like to be out and about the ship.

I think that a balcony is wonderful for those who have some type of physical limitations and can't get around the ship very well. Otherwise, to us, it is all about the price difference.

I think an inside vs balcony so depends on where you are going. If you are sailing from island to island, a balcony is lovely. If you are on a transatlantic, the wind, spray, weather often prevents you from enjoying a balcony.

Privacy is also another issue. We had an obstructed cabin where the outside platform was frequented DAILY by workers. One even peeked inside...very obvious and was he startled to find me looking right back at him. I thought we wouldn't have that issue on a balcony but then you have the window cleaning guys on their little trolley. That was sure a surprise in the middle of the Pacific Ocean! Good thing we were fully clothed..

One trick that I think was mentioned is to keep the TV on the channel that shows the bow view, if you want to wake up with the sunrise.

My daughter, who has never cruised, said that she would feel claustrophobic in an inside. I asked her if she had her eyes open or closed when she slept. It just isn't an issue for us as we like to be out and about the ship.

I think that a balcony is wonderful for those who have some type of physical limitations and can't get around the ship very well. Otherwise, to us, it is all about the price difference.

You make some good points..BTW, the TV thing showing the bow doesn't work for us..no sun, no wind, no salt air, no nothing..I was claustrophobic too..sometimes I don't want to be out & about with thousands of others- sometimes coming back to my cabin, & sitting on the balcony with a drink & looking at the moonlight & seeing the whitecaps is MESMORIZING, especially after 12 hours of crowds, loud music, noise, crazy kids, etc....sorry, you just don't get that in an inside..I couldn't stand coming back to my inside..walked slowly down the hall & dreaded that awful dark, sunless, broom -like cabin..on the other hand, when i walk down the hall to my balcony cabin, I actually walk fast & can't wait to see what wonders await for us on our balcony...I am a cruise agent, and I just sent 2 couples on the NCL Getaway, with one couple in their first balcony after 10 straight cruises inside..they cruise in an inside because as the husband said, "I'm cheap & am worried about all the light coming in- I'm a poor sleeper"..turns out he's quite wealthy and I gave him several tips on how to keep the cabin dark..when the 2 couples got off, they both said, A) it was the best cruise they both had ever been on ( food, shows, service, better than RCI, Celebrity & Princess they said)..and B) the guy who was worried said he LOVED his balcony and I was right about seeing all the wonders of the sea, AND slept like a baby thanks to my 2 tips on keeping the cabin dark in the AM..10 straight cruises and now he says it will be balcony every time...like I say, if you can afford it, try it..to me, it's not about the $$, it's about enhancing your cruise experience, which a balcony completely does IMHO...I have sent hundreds of people on cruises, and balconies get the best response & reviews, IF people use them & can swing the $$..I have cruised in all 4 catagories of cabins: insides, window, balconies, & suites ( Jr. Suites or Minis only, no big ones), and to me the balcony is the best deal..

Big Al

No need to worry about adding fun to the space! Once u get on the ship, the fun will automatically begin. My last four cruises have been in interior cabins. The one I have booked now is a balcony....only because I got a call for an upsell and the price was right! I have absolutely NOTHING bad to say about an interior cabin. You're only in the cabin to change and sleep! If u want to experience the Atlantic.....go outside on the deck and enjoy the wind and scenery. As someone else mentioned....turn the tv on to the cam and leave the light on in the bathroom with the door shut. Im usually so exhausted at the end of the night that im fast asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow. I think that will be the case in an interior or balcony cabin. Relax and enjoy [emoji6]

Emphasis added by Grandma Petania

Ocean Air Anytime You Want It For me this is the biggest reason to get a balcony stateroom. Even if you can still see the ocean with a window in your stateroom, or imagine it with an interior stateroom, there is nothing like feeling the ocean breeze as you cruise from island to island. When the cruise ship really gets moving the breeze can be a little too intense, but even if you want to stay inside your cabin and leave the door open a little it’s nice to breathe in that ocean air. Most cruise ships want you to keep the door closed but this is mostly because they don’t want to pay for keeping a room cool if the door is open. Just make sure you turn the thermostat up or down depending on the temperature outside. Big Al

I have only sailed on the Oasis, so I don't know if my experience is true on other ships. On the Oasis, if the balcony door is open, the A/C automatically shuts off.

Personally I love inside cabins. They are so nice and dark at night, providing excellent sleep, and have a "cave" feel. I have never even tried to get anything else because the value is usually so much better. Enjoy!

Except during the 30 30 sale when the balconies on the Harmony were cheaper then the insides.

We have experienced an inside cabin on Liberty and a balcony on Navigator. Whilst I loved the balcony cabin I couldn't justify the extra cost to the holiday budget.

We have waited until the very last minute this year to book......a guarantee interior on Explorer 14 nights from Southampton. We got a great price IMO (£1049 each)and have been allocated a virtual balcony cabin on deck 9. The waiting has paid off this year I think!

Whilst I will miss the sea breeze when opening my balcony door I'll have a bit extra to spend in port....and the virtual balcony will be a new one experience 😀

IMHO, when you are booking a cruise you will have the option of choosing an interior cabin, a cabin with a view, or a balcony cabin. And then , of course, there are suites which have balconies, a huge space, and often come with a butler. But for this post, I want to mention 5 of the biggest reasons for choosing at least a balcony stateroom. Yes, they do cost more, and you might be tempted to just get an ocean view, but here are some things to consider before you make that decision for your next cruise.

Better Views: Most balcony staterooms have floor to ceiling transparent doors which give you a much better view than just a window, whether it be a porthole or full sized window. And let’s face it, when you are cruising it’s all about taking in the sights. What better way to enjoy these sights than from the comfort of your own room where you can order free room service and put your feet up.

Ocean Air Anytime You Want It For me this is the biggest reason to get a balcony stateroom. Even if you can still see the ocean with a window in your stateroom, or imagine it with an interior stateroom, there is nothing like feeling the ocean breeze as you cruise from island to island. When the cruise ship really gets moving the breeze can be a little too intense, but even if you want to stay inside your cabin and leave the door open a little it’s nice to breathe in that ocean air. Most cruise ships want you to keep the door closed but this is mostly because they don’t want to pay for keeping a room cool if the door is open. Just make sure you turn the thermostat up or down depending on the temperature outside.

More Private Don’t get me wrong. It’s nice to be able to lay out on the pool deck with a lounge chair and get some sun, but sometimes the pool deck can get a little too busy and crowded for my taste. That’s why it’s nice to be able to back to your own private room and put your feet up where no one can bother you. You might have a few rowdy passengers in other balconies, but usually during the day it’s quite quiet and peaceful out there

Easier to Wake Up I know sometimes budgets don’t allow for an upgrade to a balcony stateroom on a cruise ship, but interior staterooms just don’t allow you to wake up naturally. It’s just as dark when you went to sleep as when you get up. I loved being able to wake up to the natural sunlight coming through the glass doors. There is no need for an alarm clock and you don’t feel detached from reality. In an inside cabin we had once, we got into our bathing suits on a sea day, & went up to the pool deck, only to find it was pouring! We were the only idiots out there…another time we missed breakfast because it was so dark, we thought it was still like 3 AM, so we kept going back to bed..I don’t like that- I like to sleep naturally and LOVE opening the curtains & seeing the wonders of the sea instead of the wonders of a broom closet…just MHO..

Experience the Ocean Life More On my last cruise my wife and I got to see dolphins swimming around the ship while we were sailing to one of our ports. They were right along the ship and jumping in and out of the water. It was quite a sight to see and we never would have seen this if we didn’t have a balcony. We spent a lot of time just leaning on the railing and looking out into the water, and spotted several other kinds of oceanic life, which was a wonderful part of our cruising experience. Not everyone will be able to afford a balcony stateroom, but if you are able to modify the budget enough to pay for one, it will be well worth it. The best balconies are on the back of the ship. They are bigger balconies and a little more private since you don’t have as many neighbors, but usually you will have to pay a little extra for these as well…to me, I’m on a cruise to experience the sea..what’s the point of being on a cruise ship if you can’t see the sea or the waves, or smell the salt air, feel the wind & sun on your face, have breakfast on your private balcony ( very cool & VERY romantic!!)…when I go to a hotel, I don’t ask for a room without a window, and in hotels don’t you LOVE when you have a balcony over looking the beach or water? I do..I’m on vacation, and I save for a balcony..if I can’t cruise in one, I won’t cruise..we work too hard to spend a week in a mole..BTW, we are not wealthy, but last year, I found balconies on the Oasis for only $125 more than insides on a 5 night Halloween cruise for my wife’s b’day…well worth it & she deserves it, don’t you?

Big Al

We mix it up depending on the price. Personally, I have found in many cases a JS is not always a lot more than a balcony. However, I practically live on a balcony at home, so it's no big deal. BTW, totally agree with the cave comment. A nice afternoon escape

1436621646009.jpg.f3bf7c7715e0e8aab7ebb872c9ceb625.jpg

1436621669138.jpg.6222e83dfdaa08e3f4ff49d85a5de5df.jpg

Edited by John&LaLa

We mix it up depending on the price. Personally, I have found in many cases a JS is not always a lot more than a balcony. However, I practically live on a balcony at home, so it's no big deal. BTW, totally agree with the cave comment. A nice afternoon escape

Nice pics!! BUT, not all have a great view of the sea from home..I had that same JS aft on RCI twice...very nice, though I can live w/o all that metal dropping down in front of you...I got a JS on the Adventure Of The Seas in Nov for $2000..D1's were $1700..well worth the extra $$ IMO..love that walk-in closet, bathtub & bigger balcony & bigger living space- but only if the price is good & I can swing it...BTW, the JS's on the Freedom class on deck 9 on the BUMP are fabulous!!!

Big Al

Nice pics!! BUT, not all have a great view of the sea from home..I had that same JS aft on RCI twice...very nice, though I can live w/o all that metal dropping down in front of you...I got a JS on the Adventure Of The Seas in Nov for $2000..D1's were $1700..well worth the extra $$ IMO..love that walk-in closet, bathtub & bigger balcony & bigger living space- but only if the price is good & I can swing it...BTW, the JS's on the Freedom class on deck 9 on the BUMP are fabulous!!!

Big Al

We have a hump JS next March on Freedom. Right at 2 grand. I like Oasis humps better since they have deep balconies

Edited by John&LaLa

You can set the TV to the forward deck cam station and turn the volume off. Then in the morning it will serve as sort of a window to see what's going on outside. You can decorate your door, so you recognize your room as you make your way down the endless corridor. We like to leave the bathroom light on and close the bathroom door the light will shine under the door incase someone wakes in the middle of the night to use the facilities.

I agree! This perfectly answered the OP's quest for inside cabin advice.