Best Port for "Trash the Dress?"

It definitely depends which ports you go to. For example, if you were in St. Martin you could try and do a pic in the water at Maho beach while a jet is close overhead, or something fun like that. What about on a float in the Ocean at CocoCay (or any beach) really, and find a server to serve you a fruity beverage in the water....that would be funny. Each port would probably have something unique or fun you could pick to do... The worst part may be getting it to the ship and wearing it in the heat in the Carribean (depending on the time of year). Best wishes!

Why not start a new "trend"?

Instead of trashing a dress in a port/country that is undoubtedly poorer than the US, see if you can donate it to a young woman soon to be married in that country? With today's social media reach, it should be easy to find someone.

I would much rather see pictures of someone doing that, than just trashing what others would consider a heaven-sent, and very worthwhile, gift.

Just a thought.

There are bridal boutiques in many US cities where gowns are donated, and resold with proceeds given to various charities.

Can't figure out why Trash the Dress is so popular. Whatever

M

Totally wasn't expecting these kinds of responses. I am paying 100% for my own wedding, and while I don't mind helping others out (always giving money to charity), this is just something that I have chosen to do. I'm not budgeting much for a dress, so it's not like my parents are paying $10,000 for a dress. At that point, it would turn into their business, not mine.

We haven't picked a cruise itinerary yet, but were thinking of either doing an Eastern or Western Caribbean one.

The way i see it is that it is YOUR dress to do what YOU want to with it. Forget the naysayers ;)

It definitely depends which ports you go to. For example, if you were in St. Martin you could try and do a pic in the water at Maho beach while a jet is close overhead, or something fun like that. What about on a float in the Ocean at CocoCay (or any beach) really, and find a server to serve you a fruity beverage in the water....that would be funny. Each port would probably have something unique or fun you could pick to do... The worst part may be getting it to the ship and wearing it in the heat in the Carribean (depending on the time of year). Best wishes!

Ooooh, Maho with a plane taking off! Dress could be rigged to be blown off the bride, leaving her in a gorgeous bathing suit!

Totally wasn't expecting these kinds of responses. I am paying 100% for my own wedding, and while I don't mind helping others out (always giving money to charity), this is just something that I have chosen to do. I'm not budgeting much for a dress, so it's not like my parents are paying $10,000 for a dress. At that point, it would turn into their business, not mine.

We haven't picked a cruise itinerary yet, but were thinking of either doing an Eastern or Western Caribbean one.

Well, one thing is for sure on Cruise Critic. You never know what kind of responses you will get. Some may be very helpful. Some may be very snarky.

If you post something on Cruise Critic, you should be prepared for at least one response that agrees with what you are doing, at least one response condemning you for making the dumbest decision ever (and wondering why you ever bother sullying the experience of another), and several "well it's not my thing, but I will offer suggestions." PLEASE note that I am NOT one of those calling you stupid. I have learned though, that many with extensive cruising experience or many who have extensive posting numbers and feel emboldened as they hide behind their keyboard feel the need to trash everyone who is new at anything. Because they were NEVER new at anything.

As you said, you are not budgeting much for a dress. I think that is wise if you are planning to trash it. I wouldn't want to pay a lot of money for something I planned to trash. So have fun with it. My only point before was that most brides I have seen do "trash the dress" either have not spent a lot of money on their dress- knowing they were going to trash it- OR they had lots of money and thought it would be fun to revel in their destruction.

If you do a Western itinerary, I would say that Labadee Haiti is about the "trashiest" port. It's pretty but not much to it, and it's just a beach day. They have a cookout, so you could certainly trash it with condiments. They would already have roving photographers around on the beach for the cruise line, so I bet your little extra entertainment of "Trash the Dress" might get a little interest from other travelers and maybe some unanticipated photography moments.

You could also trash your dress at a Senor Frogs or Margaritaville, as you get "trashed."

If you did an Eastern itinerary, I don't know where you would be best to do this. I do have a friend who lived on St Thomas for several years, so I would be glad to ask for a referral for a photographer.

Just have fun with it. It's your dress, your wedding, your plans.

It's not my idea of fun- but hey it's not my life either. LOL

The only trash the dress pics I've seen were from jilted brides. Its clothing. Do whatever you want with it. You wouldn't believe the abuse my Levis have seen. And I still can't kill them

Drowning bride? That's scary

Safety first! But have fun. Seriously? The dress gets dry cleaned and packed away until our daughters come up with am excuse not to wear it.

I have never understood the charm in doing "Trash the Dress" either. I suppose the people who are doing this to their dress either (a) bought a dress for a price that they don't mind trashing it, (b) have no regard for the fact that someone spent a lot of money on the dress and don't care, or © have obscene amounts of money and resources.

I understand that you are not going to wear the dress again, but why destroy it? For the price I paid for mine, I would rather not trash it.

As far as wastefulness is concerned, I don't see much difference between this and paying an additional outrageous sum of money the have the dress professionally preserved and stored under your bed or in a closet for years and then trashed by your kids/executor after you're gone.

OP -- best wishes for your day [and all those that follow] and enjoy the dress disposal how ever you decide to go about it.

Edited by mjldvlks

I agree with the idea that the best places might be the private "islands" like Labadee or Coco Cay. Also, once you've booked, check with your roll call. I bet you could find a photographer on there who would get a kick out of it. Also, what is the hubby wearing? If he showed up with his bow tie that would make a cute shot.

Bob has a great deal of varied cruise experiences, but I don't think wearing/trashing a wedding dress is one of them? :D

When I see a question that I can't answer, I always think, 'eh just skip it, Bob will answer it later'. Or at least by the time I finish reading it.

Check the "Honeymoon and Wedding" threads for more on this topic. You should find some guidance from some of the posts there.

The right photographer will produce some beautiful pictures.

I doubt anybody did this 45 years ago but I would have had the perfect dress for this event. It was handmade, white satin faille with Irish lace. The fabric was washable (I washed it twice for themed social events) and to this day it is in its original condition with all of the lace and beads intact.)

Maybe for our 50th!

I did a trash the dress in the Florida ocean. Hung it up to dry, shook off the salt and sand, pick a couple pieces of seaweed off the beads. Looked brand new even before I got it preserved. I would suggest choosing a more remote beach or get there very early.

We are getting married back home and going on a RC cruise for our honeymoon. I want to do a "Trash the Dress" shoot at one of our port stops, but I am having trouble deciding on which port would work the best. Also, does RC do photography off the boat if I hire one, or would I be responsible for finding a photographer at that port?

Cozumel, Buccanos beach bar restaurant!

Got great food, nice beach, good snorkeling, nice pool, an area for outdoor massages, etc.!:D

While it was not on a cruise my youngest daughter did that in Cabo near the arch. In her case she found a nice dress on-line for $99 (it actually was nice) and trashed that one and not the other one.

Also consider the type of water you want. Some beaches are lake-like, not many waves. Other beaches can be very wavy. You might want a beach with waves breaking on rocks, creating a dramatic background for photos, and then you get in. Your wedding dress style is important too. While mermaid sounds like it would be logical, i am not sure if you will get the desired effect. All the best to you.