Misleading Pricing!

Saphire

When I checked online pricing for a cruise next March, I saw that Explore 4 was offered. Also if you logged in, a 'Special Fare' rate popped up for Mariners. Great! We talked about this, discussed cabins and decided to go forward. I was very surprised to see on the next page that the fare jumped back up. So I called. You cannot combine the Explore 4 with a 'Special Fare'. Except that they did combine it on that web page! Argh, so frustrated.

I would avoid the Explore 4, and ask for the special fare without Explore 4 (you may have to call to do this, the website likely applies it automatically).

You are paying for all the Explore 4 benefits in the higher fare, and what's more you're paying for them 90 days out.

we had that given to us on a May cruise and we really hardly used it even though we have cocktails and wine daily .. just not what they allowed. Our friends on the cruise had it too and they tried to take advantage of it, but the sound bites were not quite reality for them unfortunately.

We thought it was an idea that just is not panning out for those we know ..

harry

I don't either but I only drink at night so not a lot. I can see it if you drink a lot. Hal needs to stop saying it's free.

It depends on the itinerary. Go to the travel gnome site. It allows you to price with and without the Explore 4. Search for 4/30/16 - 5/7/16 on the NA. In particular, look at an SS. It's the same price with and without the E4. With the E4 - for the same price as without - we got $300 Suite OBC, Signature Beverage Package, Pinnacle, and Canaletto. As you know, I monitor price changes the same place you do. If you go there and look for the same cruise, it didn't go up. Neptune Suites went up by $100. It really depends on the voyage and the cabin. There are a lot of examples where the price stayed the same.

On the 15 Day Panama Canal that's right before our cruise, the NS went up a lot, but verandahs only went up $80 to $100. I realize that you would have a price increase double that. For a fair number of people, a 15 day beverage tab exceeds $80 to $100.

Bottom line: It pays to research and it's definitely not true that all the cruises went up to cover the E4. I think a lot of people are going to come here, get the impression that they should wait until the Explore 4 promo is over, and wind up disappointed. People should do their homework. In some cases, the Explore 4 is a great deal. In other cases, it's not.

It depends on the itinerary. Go to the travel gnome site. It allows you to price with and without the Explore 4. Search for 4/30/16 - 5/7/16 on the NA. In particular, look at an SS. It's the same price with and without the E4. With the E4 - for the same price as without - we got $300 Suite OBC, Signature Beverage Package, Pinnacle, and Canaletto. As you know, I monitor price changes the same place you do. If you go there and look for the same cruise, it didn't go up. Neptune Suites went up by $100. It really depends on the voyage and the cabin. There are a lot of examples where the price stayed the same.

On the 15 Day Panama Canal that's right before our cruise, the NS went up a lot, but verandahs only went up $80 to $100. I realize that you would have a price increase double that. For a fair number of people, a 15 day beverage tab exceeds $80 to $100.

Bottom line: It pays to research and it's definitely not true that all the cruises went up to cover the E4. I think a lot of people are going to come here, get the impression that they should wait until the Explore 4 promo is over, and wind up disappointed. People should do their homework. In some cases, the Explore 4 is a great deal. In other cases, it's not.

Judging from most posts I've read on here it has gone up for most cruises. I knew as soon as I posted I'd be told otherwise:D;). I have not looked at every cruise the Hal sells because I really don't care. Booze just isn't a big part of my life. Just for fun I looked at a 2 week cruise on Hal to the Caribbean in January 2016. The rate for the lowest balcony single supp is $5500 cdn. That price is outrageous and about $1000 over the usual rate. For sure, people need to compare before and after. I suspect how well as cruise is selling may play into it.

Edited by cruz chic

We just returned from our Ryndam cruise. We had the Explore 4 package which was added after we booked, and the fare did not go up . On the other hand, we never saw a price drop, either.

We are not big drinkers, one glass of beer or wine with dinner, but we used it mostly for the large bottles or water (we drink a lot of water) and the coffees at Explorations cafe, which are MUCH better than the MDR and Lido coffees.

The complimentary Pinnacle Grill dinner was well worth it.

We were able to add the Explore4 to our Alaska cruise next year for NO additional charge. 300.00 OBC, Canaletto dinner, Pinnacle dinner., Beverage pkg...even if we can't drink all those drinks, it will sure be fun trying!! Great bargin for us! On the other hand, our '16 Koningsdam to the Carribean went up 800.00. If you add all of the above up, it isn't worth it, would be cheaper to buy each item if wanted, so I didn't make changes to that one.

On our 14 day TA on Regal Princess I was able to add the free beverage package and free specialty dinner for no charge with their Sip and Sail promotion. That was a no brainer. Now our 14 day Alaska cruise went up $600 with Explorer 4. However we are in a Vista Suite so are eligible for $300 OBC, and the 2 specialty dinners worth $78 (which we would have done anyway). That brings the upcharge down to $222. That's a little less than $16/day. Would we spend that for the 2 of us on liquor, juice, wine, water coffees,etc per day. You betchya Another no brainer.