How can I find a good travel agent for Celebrity Cruises?

Coarsegold_Mom

50+ cruises, all booked directly with the cruise line. I don't see the need to waste time and add complexity by adding an unnecessary middle man. The cruise line won't even talk to you anymore when you use a TA. Go direct! :)

I'll be getting $375 in OBC on my next cruise on top of the $300 from the BBB option. That's enough incentive for me to add a middleman. Though managing the reservation myself would be easier. In the future I'll likely book directly with X and transfer to a TA before final payment.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

It's typically in the form of OBC from my experience. I've seen a few big box TAs offer a lower fare than advertised when they had locked in a group rate with the cruise line. Specifically it was for a wine inspired cruise on Celebrity through a discount warehouse TA.

Question about these TA-linked discounts, say from the big box TA. Do these typically get to the buyer in the form of a discount on the cruise fare (x% below the price the cruise line is charging at that time for the same cabin) or is it typically in the form of OBC, or does it go both ways? If it is OBC, all or in part, is that typically refundable or non-refundable OBC?

It has more to do with which cruise line than the agency. Princess and Holland allow discounting. The Royal Caribbean group typically does not so agents can only offer OBC or gifts (bottle of wine, specialty restaurants, etc). That's another factor in whether using a TA makes sense. Some spend little or nothing on board so OBC is not all that important. (My wife assures me that there is no reason for me to worry about unspent OBC.)

For what it's worth, I booked a celebrity suite under the 1/2/3 go, received gratuities, classic beverage package, and $300 OBC, all from celebrity. In addition, the TA threw in $575 in OBC. Cost of cruise was $6800. Total OBC $875. If we don't spend it all, the $575 from the TA should be refundable. My TA typically offers 10%-12.5% discounts for Princess or HAL.

Have booked my last dozen or so cruises with a very large online CRUISE. outfit. Service is ok, but but basically use them because they always threw in grats. This weekend they switched to an obc based on cost of cruise. OBC didn't even cover grats for one. I complained and they upped the obc for my new cruise to match grats cost. If they don't continue to do so I'll be looking for a new TA

If you don't need your hand held there is no reason to book directly (or to book directly and not transfer booking)...Unless you want to pay "full retail"!!

I think pretty standard for booking with TA is some kind of OBC and usually prepaid gratuities (which might actually just be more OBC for the amount of the gratuities).

Not so standard is finding "group rate"...when TA buys blocks of rooms...they are out there and those are actually cheaper rates than booking directly...otherwise the actual cruise cost is identical.

50+ cruises, all booked directly with the cruise line. I don't see the need to waste time and add complexity by adding an unnecessary middle man. The cruise line won't even talk to you anymore when you use a TA. Go direct! :)

I only used a travel agent once and that was before I knew about discounts and perks being given out. This TA never even called or emailed me to follow up on final payment. If I had not had an alert set up in my calendar I would have missed final payment and my cruise would have been canceled. Now I just book direct. When the price dropped on my current cruise that I have booked I called Celebrity after midnight Eastern time. The rep I spoke with credited my account and sent me an updated invoice. I wouldn't think of calling a TA at that hour. I saved $200 that night.

It has more to do with which cruise line than the agency. Princess and Holland allow discounting. The Royal Caribbean group typically does not so agents can only offer OBC or gifts (bottle of wine, specialty restaurants, etc). That's another factor in whether using a TA makes sense. Some spend little or nothing on board so OBC is not all that important. (My wife assures me that there is no reason for me to worry about unspent OBC.)

For what it's worth, I booked a celebrity suite under the 1/2/3 go, received gratuities, classic beverage package, and $300 OBC, all from celebrity. In addition, the TA threw in $575 in OBC. Cost of cruise was $6800. Total OBC $875. If we don't spend it all, the $575 from the TA should be refundable. My TA typically offers 10%-12.5% discounts for Princess or HAL.

Are these sorts of deals also to be found from TA's for the lux lines like Regent, Crystal, and so on?

So far we have only booked 14 cruises of which only 3 have been direct... The rest have been through a great American cruise agent that was recommended to us by a fellow English man we met on our first cruise...

We have never had any issues using this agent even though our only method of contact is email/text messages, and on all the 11 cruises we have booked through her we have not only saved money Vs the online direct price but also received extra onboard credit on every cruise,

Like others have said ask your fellow cruise guests onboard and I'm sure you're get a few good options to look at for future cruises [emoji4]

I'll be getting $375 in OBC on my next cruise on top of the $300 from the BBB option. That's enough incentive for me to add a middleman. Though managing the reservation myself would be easier. In the future I'll likely book directly with X and transfer to a TA before final payment.

I used to do that too so that I could have full control of watching for price drops. However now, you must transfer your booking within 60 days of creation.

I only used a travel agent once and that was before I knew about discounts and perks being given out. This TA never even called or emailed me to follow up on final payment. If I had not had an alert set up in my calendar I would have missed final payment and my cruise would have been canceled. Now I just book direct. When the price dropped on my current cruise that I have booked I called Celebrity after midnight Eastern time. The rep I spoke with credited my account and sent me an updated invoice. I wouldn't think of calling a TA at that hour. I saved $200 that night.

My TA has standing instructions to automatically charge the card I used for the deposit when final payment is due. Never had a hitch. I do however set a calendar reminder so I make sure the charge occurs on my credit card.

I get instant app notification when a charge hits any of my cards. Many times even before I've had a chance to leave the store.

Better pay close attention to when you transfer to a TA. Celebrity only allows you 60 days from booking to transfer. Here is the form http://www.celebritycruises.com/media/en_US/pdf/faq/2010_CelebrityBookingTransferForm.pdf

My TA has standing instructions to automatically charge the card I used for the deposit when final payment is due. Never had a hitch. I do however set a calendar reminder so I make sure the charge occurs on my credit card.

I get instant app notification when a charge hits any of my cards. Many times even before I've had a chance to leave the store.

When I called to confirm payment she asked if I wanted her to use the card on file. So she had the information just never followed through. She got commission for doing absolutely nothing. I didn't even receive a bottle of cheap wine. For the itineraries and category room I book it's not worth involving a middle man for a $25 obc. For my upcoming trip I booked under 123 go so I have all three perks. I will however research a TA and look for one that offers paid gratuity when I plan the next trip.

Why I use an online travel agent?

14 day B2B on Silhouette December 4 and 11 2016. 2d balcony:

Celebritycruises.com wants $2243.62 p.p. Includes classic drink package and $300 per cabin per cruise.

Online travel agent has same cruise same category and cabin under a group booking for $1936.34 p.p.. Along with the drink packages and obc, it includes prepaid gratuities. They are a high volume broker so I'm sure they get a real nice commission from the cruise lines because of it.

For that kind of money I can put up with the inconvenience of going through a middle man. I can also live with the $50 per cruise charge if I cancel.

I've booked my last 17 cruises through them so I know exactly who I'm dealing with and what to expect.

We use a very good on-line agency. I'm a real price shopper and as far as I can see nobody offers what they do. We are on the Feb. 7th 14 day sailing on the Eclipse. We are paying $2200 p/p which includes pre-paid gratuities, drink package, and $325 obc. and that is Concierge Class. At the time we booked CCL was about $800 more p/p. When I checked a few days ago the price was $3099 p/p. Check many on-line sites and compare prices, you never know what you'll find.

grandgeezer, Perhaps we are using the same agency. I know we can't mention names but your deal sounds a little like mine. I currently have 4 cruises booked with them. Just great prices. I know exactly what I'm doing so I don't need a handholder, works for us.

Hi Everyone,

Please review our Guidelines carefully.

Quoting a portion of our guidelines:

"...There shall be no third-party recommendation (whether positive or negative in tone) of travel agencies on any forums within Cruise Critic. General discussions regarding the TYPE of AGENCY to be used to purchase a cruise will be allowed, as long as no recommendations for any source of purchase are posted.

Touting of your personal cruise agent or cruise line "personal cruise consultant" (or any other venue by which you purchase a cruise) is not allowed on our message boards. Postings that contain "tell them John sent you" will be removed without notice.

This means you should not ask about someone's travel agent, nor should you respond in kind. Offering to email someone your travel agent's name or info is also not allowed, nor is asking members to email you for the information.

It also means you cannot post links (Or Hints) to travel agencies, no matter what the specific reason.

Cruise Critic will remove violations of the "third-party recommendation" guideline without warning...

Please do not reply to this post. If you have any questions, feel free to email me by clicking on the link below. Thank you for your understanding.

I don't know.....My exp was very different. I booked through Celebrity and was offered...NOTHING..after hearing about experiences of others here I did some research and the travel agent I chose offered over 2000.00 in OBC

It has more to do with which cruise line than the agency. Princess and Holland allow discounting. The Royal Caribbean group typically does not so agents can only offer OBC or gifts (bottle of wine, specialty restaurants, etc).

For what it's worth, I booked a celebrity suite under the 1/2/3 go, received gratuities, classic beverage package, and $300 OBC, all from celebrity. In addition, the TA threw in $575 in OBC. Cost of cruise was $6800. Total OBC $875. My TA typically offers 10%-12.5% discounts for Princess or HAL.

My exp was very different. I booked through Celebrity and was offered...NOTHING..after hearing about experiences of others here

I did some research and the travel agent I chose offered over 2000.00 in OBC

NICELY DONE!!! :)

I don't spend anywhere NEAR the amounts alluded to above, but still manage to get some pretty great deals on both Celebrity and Royal Caribbean.

Just back from 15 nights on Constellation for $799pp in an ocean view... and still got a total of $500 OBC. :D

Edited by teecee60

When I found out that X, Azamara and RCCL is not allowing TA's to make a quote as I'm not from USA or Canada. I wonder if I could make the booking and transfer it to a TA in USA?

I do think it might be worth it if the TA will offer a nice OBC. Here it's absolutely impossible to get a OBC or anything extra from a TA....

NICELY DONE!!! :)

I don't spend anywhere NEAR the amounts alluded to above, but still manage to get some pretty great deals on both Celebrity and Royal Caribbean.

Just back from 15 nights on Constellation for $799pp in an ocean view... and still got a total of $500 OBC. :D

Wow what a deal. How does your travel agent stay in business. $500 OBC on a $799 fare they couldn't have made much commission.