Smoothies on board

duchess375

All, I have a friend taking a cruise in the Med on the Nieuw Amsterdam (lucky , lucky). However he is having some digestive issues and has been supplementing his diet with smoothies. Does the ship have a smoothie bar? Suggestions??? Thanks!

I was aboard the NA last summer. Smoothies can be ordered for a fee in the Lido and lounges (I'm assuming the MDR, too, but don't have first-hand knowledge). Vitamin and electrolyte drinks are available for purchase in the Explorations Cafe. Your friend is also able to take dry shake mix on board, should he need it.

All the best!

Edited by syesmar

This reminds me of a funny story told to us by a favourite bar waiter of ours on the Eurodam. We were chatting one day and he told us the cruise just before ours had a religious gospel group on board. When I asked him how that went and how he liked it, he replied "All I sold for one week were damn smoothies ... " :D

No Smoothie Bars on any HAL ships.

The bars/lounges can make them -- but not free.

If you eat in the dining room -- again a fee at dinner. Most days the dining room is closed for lunch -- but on days when it is open -- again you can order them for a fee. Breakfast in the dining room -- no bar or lounge open that early where one can be made and brought to the table.

This reminds me of a funny story told to us by a favourite bar waiter of ours on the Eurodam. We were chatting one day and he told us the cruise just before ours had a religious gospel group on board. When I asked him how that went and how he liked it, he replied "All I sold for one week were damn smoothies ... " :D

Wouldn't that be "dam smoothies"? :)

• Haha 1

While devices that heat (irons, steamers, kettles, etc.) are generally prohibited, with a few exceptions, I don't believe that a small blender should pose a problem.

Due to the fact it has blades I would definitely check with HAL but my HUNCH is that it would be okay

Due to the fact it has blades I would definitely check with HAL but my HUNCH is that it would be okay

If you are familiar with a Bullet, the "blades" are recessed and could never be used as a weapon. I really don't think it's an issue any more than the blades on an electric shaver.

While devices that heat (irons, steamers, kettles, etc.) are generally prohibited, with a few exceptions, I don't believe that a small blender should pose a problem.

Getting one through airport security is. If something with blades is found, it will be inspected. Mom learned that the hard way when she had a food processor (a Christmas present) at the carry-on checkpoint.

Getting one through airport security is. If something with blades is found, it will be inspected. Mom learned that the hard way when she had a food processor (a Christmas present) at the carry-on checkpoint.

I don't disagree, but cruise ships and TSA work to similar but not identical standards. But as InTheWASide says, it certainly doesn't hurt to ask HAL in advance.

I don't disagree, but cruise ships and TSA work to similar but not identical standards. But as InTheWASide says, it certainly doesn't hurt to ask HAL in advance.

I was pointing out usually people fly to embarkation cities so airport security for that must be considered, not just the cruise port itself.

I hope it would be easier to buy a smoothie onboard anyway - less weight in an already-heavy suitcase.

Honestly, I thought this was a thread for bald guys. Who knew?

You gave me the best laugh today! Thank you!!!!

And thank all of you my friend leaves in 2days for his vacation and he thanks you for the information!

• 8 years later...
18 minutes ago, hollyeplake said:

Thank you all for your comments! I like to drink a smoothie for breakfast most of the time. This gives me ideas to think about. 

Hi Holly!

You have resurrected some fairly old threads. Things may have changed in the meantime. Although some members will scold new threads for not searching the site, relying on old threads can be a hazard.

I cannot find the screens that used to show lists of what is covered in each beverage package! (Roger??? @Crew News)

All I am finding on the HAL website is a brief list per each plan.

5 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

I cannot find the screens that used to show lists of what is covered in each beverage package! (Roger??? @Crew News)

All I am finding on the HAL website is a brief list per each plan.

Here's what he posted on 5/8/2024

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/05/Beverage-Packages-2024.pdf

• Thanks 1