on the Dawn right now and just got word that we are not leaving until Wed.

Smellytoes

I just asked at the front desk again. I was told they don't know why only that it was "the captain's decision". I like this captain's decision making but I wish he would explain why:confused:

Our Oct 10 2014 cruise The captain made the same decision after we came in late.

I like the Wednesday departure. Still plenty of time for a slow cruise back to Boston Too.

Looking at the webcam of Bermuda, it looks like the Dawn is having some mechanical issues, as the yellow crane is in place towards the back of the boat.

We were on his sailing last week, and on Monday they had the crane set up and divers were in he water doing maintenance on the boat for most of the day.

She can make it back to Boston in one day with no problem. It has been done many times!

Edited by greeneggbert

I just asked at the front desk again. I was told they don't know why only that it was "the captain's decision". I like this captain's decision making but I wish he would explain why:confused:

Don't look the gift horse in the mouth!:D;) Enjoy the extra day.

I'm a reasonably "go with the flow" sort of gal, but I like to know where the "flow go".

An vague answer like that from those who should know would have probably left me feeling a bit anxious. Are they giving away free Xanax instead of dramamine by chance? Not to mention what curiosity did to those poor innocent kitty-cats?

Biker@sea: Were you ever given an explanation other than the captain just wanted to stay a day longer?? Did he say he wanted to work on his tan perhaps? Fell in love with the cart girl at Port Royal Golf course? Something?? Anything?

OP: You seem to be taking it in stride, because in the grand scheme of things I realize this is truly a #firstworldproblem. For me, the bit of frustration would be because I would personally feel they are withholding information. Of course I am sitting behind my messy desk at home. Bermudian air might put a whole different spin on things.

I'm behind you 100% ........ Keep on enjoying!!!

Looking at the webcam of Bermuda, it looks like the Dawn is having some mechanical issues, as the yellow crane is in place towards the back of the boat.

We were on his sailing last week, and on Monday they had the crane set up and divers were in he water doing maintenance on the boat for most of the day.

She can make it back to Boston in one day with no problem. It has been done many times!

There is a crane at both ships. So who knows hat's going on. Can't the OP peak over the edge to see?

I just peeked too: http://portbermudawebcam.com/

NOAA: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php?basin=atlc&fdays=2

If the Captain called an extra day to be on the safe side of a storm, bravo! I'd just want to know :)

Edited by BermudaBound2014

Anxiously following. I leave on the Dawn in 10 days!

You think you're anxious? I leave THIS FRIDAY :eek:

Ok, I know I shouldn't worry about it (yet.) But my BF was asking me yesterday about what would happen if the ship suddenly developed a mechanical problem or if the ship was late arriving in Boston. He doesn't believe in jinxes, but if this turns into something that affects our cruise it will clearly be ALL HIS FAULT :D

Enjoy the extra time on the islands ... have they announced the new "All Abroad" time for tomorrow or is it TBA ?? Don't they carried "spare" parts for maintenance or waiting for it to be flown in ?

Weather & forecast for BDA is fine - nothing unusual to worry about (not with passing thunderstorms & showers, gone in 15 minutes for the small islands) http://www.weather.bm/index.asp

Waves is 1 or 2 ft. inside the reef, 2 to 4 ft. outside the reef.

North Atlantic is fine - waves 8 to 10 ft. from the charts - nothing higher than 12 to 15 ft. near BDA http://www.oceanweather.com/data/

Well, priority tendering for those on the BA tomorrow might be handy if the Dawn is still not out to sea.

Edited by mking8288

Just working from Biker's statement from the Captain, I suspect it is to do with the series of fairly severe fronts that have been moving through the NE lately. Just last night, a storm collapsed a circus tent in NH killing two, and I've heard that Boston is supposed to be getting hit hard today.

Divers in the water are fairly common, and really don't necessarily mean too much. Dawn's last docking was 2011, so she is due in the spring, and the divers may be making preliminary surveys. They may also be "polishing" the propellers (removing the marine growth that attaches to the props and reduces efficiency), or removing marine growth from the sea chests where the cooling water is drawn into the ship. I have also had divers travel with the ship to repair a thruster while in service, completely underwater, and chaining down all the loose parts into the thruster tunnel for the trips between ports. This could take between 5-7 days, depending on port time, but in no way affects the ship or its safety, and is a fairly common repair.

I'm a reasonably "go with the flow" sort of gal, but I like to know where the "flow go".

An vague answer like that from those who should know would have probably left me feeling a bit anxious. Are they giving away free Xanax instead of dramamine by chance? Not to mention what curiosity did to those poor innocent kitty-cats?

Biker@sea: Were you ever given an explanation other than the captain just wanted to stay a day longer?? Did he say he wanted to work on his tan perhaps? Fell in love with the cart girl at Port Royal Golf course? Something?? Anything?

OP: You seem to be taking it in stride, because in the grand scheme of things I realize this is truly a #firstworldproblem. For me, the bit of frustration would be because I would personally feel they are withholding information. Of course I am sitting behind my messy desk at home. Bermudian air might put a whole different spin on things.

I'm behind you 100% ........ Keep on enjoying!!!

WE stayed late because we came in late.

Second time for me Too.

One other time we came in a day late cuz of storm and stayed all day Wednesday .

The Dawn came of the dock real early and went to anchor in Grassy bay " I think thats the name"

We tendered into Hamilton . Left Wednesday afternoon with the help of the Bermudian as a tender haulin up to 700 guests at a time. :D

Edited by biker@sea

I'm really beginning to wonder if my co-worker has some bad luck! :(

He was supposed to do his first cruise with me in January and we had an unprecedented blizzard and he couldn't get out to meet the ship, even coming down a day before. Now he's trying for his first cruise again this Friday and it's not a music charter this time - now this!

I'm following this as well and also thinking I should not book any cruise he's going on. :D:eek::D

We need a like button. :)

I'd Go for a LOVE button if the went back to the old 4 days in Bermuda. :D

The old ships NCL Dream & and NCL Majesty stayed longer ( 4 days 3 nights ) when we docked in St. George.

Dawns Faster then them old ships Too.

Chief Engineer sez she does 25 knots.

I'd Go for a LOVE button if the went back to the old 4 days in Bermuda. :D

The old ships NCL Dream & and NCL Majesty stayed longer ( 4 days 3 nights ) when we docked in St. George.

Dawns Faster then them old ships Too.

Chief Engineer sez she does 25 knots.

I remember those days too. Celebrity Zenith (or was it the Horizon) would dock overnight at St. George and then move to the Royal Dockyard. It was if Bermuda had two port stops. That itinerary stuck around for quite a few years too :)

Here - the good "old" days @ St. George

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/1980-2000%27s%20Travel/DSCF0015.JPG

Both the Crown & Majesty docked -

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/1980-2000%27s%20Travel/2006-10-10%2009.58.05.JPG

We're rocking & rolling then - on our way out and back - with the smaller ship, but, thinking about it - lots of fun to enjoy dinner in the half empty MDR ... free Room Service was very busy, LOL.

Edited by mking8288

Maybe it is indeed weather related.

The cruise ship trackers seem to indicate that the Breakaway isn't near Bermuda right now and her deck cam shows that wherever she is, it is raining.

There seems to be a pretty large storm front off the Carolinas.

2cpomr9.png

Our first trip to Bermuda was on the Horizon. I remember going through that tight "squeeze" going into St. George's. It was nice having a stop there and Hamilton.

And the trip back was a rough one, we were really rocking and rolling. Made walking around seem like we were on a fun house at sea! :eek:

We took the Crown many times, stopping in all three ports. For mt that trip was much better than what is offered today.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

Our very first NCL cruise was on the Crown to Bermuda...it was great being able to go sail into Hamilton and St.George.:D