Any advice on the 14-day Antarctica cruise on Infinity?

OnTheJourney

Hi,

The idea of visiting Antarctica has been on my mind for years. I've researched Hurtigruten, Tauck, Collette, etc...considered flying over the Drake (I do have some motion sickness issues). Lately I've been looking at the 14-day 'drive by' (since there are no zodiac or circumpolar boats unless I'm mistaken) on the Infinity. Since it goes to Port Stanley, I'm just not sure about all that sailing around in the Southern Ocean. Just how rough is the water, on average, down there? Is this perhaps not a trip to take for someone like myself that is bothered by ship motion? I wear wristbands most of the time I am onboard a ship unless the water is very calm. Thanks for any and all advice. I'd love to go, but also need to be realistic. The 14-day trip looks really nice. I don't think I'd mind not getting to go ashore.

Thanks,

Keith

Antarctica is a wonderful place to visit. If you are only able to go with a big ship, then go for it. You are right that there are no zodiacs or polar cirkle boats as a ship that size is not allowed to land passengers, except in the Falklands.

If there is one word to describe the weather in those latitudes, it is fickle. There's no way to predict what the sea and weather conditions will be like -- especially now with the changing climate. The ocean can be calm, slight, moderate, and heavy ... all within the space of hours. Both our trips -- on much smaller vessels (48 pax and 100 pax) -- were in January, and we overall had great weather. We experienced millpond calm to 40-foot waves; still conditions to 70-knot winds. We had sunshine, overcast, and snow. But we took the bad with the good as it is such a spectacular part of the world.

Go prepared with warm clothes and windproof outer layers, and spend your time out on deck and enjoy every minute of the experience.

my advice is: even if you are prone to motion sickness - do that cruise. We have been to South America several times now and the Antarctica cruise on Infinity was one of the best cruises we have ever done. The weather really can be everything from calm seas ( twice when we rounded the Horn!) to strong winds and high waves, but it is still worth it. The days in Antarctica as well as watching the penguins in the Falklands Islands ( do a private tour!) are experiences not to be missed.

We splurged on a C1 cabin at the stern of the ship which was perfect because we had lots of sun on that Antarctica cruise and were able to sit outside ( no wind chill at the back of the ship) and watch icebergs and sea-lions and whales etc. sliding by. On the other hand because you mentioned sea-sickness, a cabin midship might be more advisable.

Part of the time we also sat in the Constellation lounge on deck 11 where the lecturer explained and talked about what to see. There were also free drinks ( coffee, tea, chocolate) and cookies and they had made a kind of exploration camp in the middle of the lounge - quite cute!

I have looked at the prices for the smaller ships that actually make landings on the Antarctic peninsula, and all I can say is WOW!!!

I completed two voyages to the Antarctic peninsula, complete with 6 landings, on Orient Line's Marco Polo. The first time was in 1999, to celebrate Y2K; the second was in 2000, to celebrate the beginning of the millennium. In a word: AWESOME!! Another word: EXPENSIVE!!!

I guess that as the number of ships making landings ON the peninsula has dwindled, the price has skyrocketed.... That has made drive-bys all the more popular.

My suggestion is to go with what you can afford. You will never forget a zodiac landing; or standing on ground where only a select few will ever stand; or having a penguin saunter by while your jaw drops; or sitting in a hot spring in your bathing suit on Deception Island; but you will at least SEE the 7th continent.

ANT-010100-18.jpg

ANT-0106-16.jpg

ANT-123199-132.jpg

Like the airbnb commercial says, GO SEE!!! I hope these pictures capture the excitement I still feel, almost 15 years later....

We sailed on the Infinity. Be prepared to go with the flo as we hit rough seas and were not able to port in Falklands. We sailed on south but couldn't make it and had to turn around and come back and then sail south again the following day. We had 38 foot seas, 73 knot winds and really rocked and rolled. Scehdule got messed up and got to one port a day early and therefore did not get to go on booked excursion but got refund also refund for Falklands. I too have tendency to have sea sick issues but I wear the sea bracelets and take ginger tablets and chew ginger gum which I but at Wal Mart. Would we go again, in a heartbeat. A wonderful experience with awesome scenery. We had a balcony so did most of our viewing from our cabin. We did however go to lounge for some of the viewing.

This is our 3rd most favorite excursion. Number 1 would be Kenya safari, 2 was Celebrity Xpedititon to Galapagos and then number 3 would be the Antarctic on Infinity. Life is to short not to explore and enjoy.

Hi,

The idea of visiting Antarctica has been on my mind for years. I've researched Hurtigruten, Tauck, Collette, etc...considered flying over the Drake (I do have some motion sickness issues). Lately I've been looking at the 14-day 'drive by' (since there are no zodiac or circumpolar boats unless I'm mistaken) on the Infinity. Since it goes to Port Stanley, I'm just not sure about all that sailing around in the Southern Ocean. Just how rough is the water, on average, down there? Is this perhaps not a trip to take for someone like myself that is bothered by ship motion? I wear wristbands most of the time I am onboard a ship unless the water is very calm. Thanks for any and all advice. I'd love to go, but also need to be realistic. The 14-day trip looks really nice. I don't think I'd mind not getting to go ashore.

Thanks,

Keith

Thanks to the generosity of my aunt, my spouse and I were able to take an expedition trip to Antarctica (zodiacs, landings on the Continent, etc.). It was truly the trip of a lifetime. But as others have said, it's incredibly expensive. If that is not in the cards for you, and you really do think you'd be okay with not going ashore, I'd encourage you to do the "drive by" cruise. The beauty, even from a ship, is astonishing. But do understand that it will be very different from landing on the Continent.

As for rough waters, well, you might of course get them, though of course you'd be on a very large ship. On our small expedition ship (which crossed the Drake Passage twice, in very rough seas and high winds), I'd say about 2/3 of those on board (including the ship's doctor and some of the naturalists, and my spouse), were wearing a Scopolamine patch, which seemed to work very well for them. (There can be side effects, so it's of course something you'd want to discuss with your doctor.) I am thankfully not bothered by seasickness, and enjoyed those two crossings.

I don't know exactly where the big ships go, but this is the Neumayer Channel:

Neumeyer21024x678_zps2a7eb11f.jpg

I took this crossing the Drake Passage; I love the "motion of the ocean," and I had a blast up on the bridge:

DrakeSplash1024x678_zps9c13906c.jpg

Bonus photo of penguins (on the Continent):

Adeliemarch1024x678_zps8ba4e0ef.jpg

(photos by turtles06)

My detailed photo journal of our Antarctica trip is here:

https://antarcticjourney.wordpress.com/

We did the Infinity in '14 and loved it!! As mentioned...the weather/seas etc. is the "luck of the draw"!! We did the "Round the Horn" on Infinity in '11 and it was like a lake...except for some serious wind right down at the "bottom" of the "Horn"...which is actually a very tiny island!! In '14 we had very calm seas...but it was very cold ...even inside on the ship...while we were at the bottom of the world...I'm talking serious socks/caps/gloves etc INSIDE the ship...but then I am a "So Cal" girl!!! :cool: Do try and book a private tour on the Falklands ...quite the wild ride with the "Range Rover" type of vehicles across lots of "bogs"...but the end result was amazing...hundreds of various penguins ...up close and personal!!! We are very lucky to have been all over the world...and this was one of the BEST cruises/experiences EVER! BTW...if we were younger/fitter we might have tried one of the actual "landing" cruises...but we aren't...and they are much more expensive!! Also...FYI...the price for the X cruise dropped like a rock the last 45 days out...and we were able to move from a balcony to AQ...which was great! Go and enjoy!!! LuAnn

We enjoyed the Antarctica cruise on Celebrity, but it's not on my top cruises list. We were able to visit the Falklands, but missed one of the other stops since we had to change the itinerary due to weather, not an uncommon occurrence. Our crossings were actually quite smooth in both directions and we were able to spend some time on the helipad while in the Antarctic. Not all that many animals...one school of orcas and some random penguins and whale spouts, but not the abundance I expected. Better penguins in the Falklands. We took the trip because i love animals (galapagos is number on cruise of my life) and because "we hadn't been there". We only did that one cruise...we're doing Buenos Aires to Ft Lauderdale (B2B) next year.

It was a compromise trip...I wanted to take a cruise that landed ashore on zodiacs (like the galapagos), my wife wanted to be on a big ship given the potential for very rough seas. In retrospect, we agree that compromising was a mistake. Going ashore would have been far more interesting and the "fly by" cruise just wasn't worth it to us. Of course everyone has different interests and makes their own choices and I know many love the cruise. So take our experience as just one couple's view.

We are joining this cruise February, 2017 and can't wait. We can't afford the smaller ships but am so thrilled to be able to do this one. Maybe someday we'll be able to actually do the landing but, for now, the price is right and we're going!

I took the South America/Antarctica cruise on Infinity in February of this year. For the most part we had calm seas and we made all of our ports as scheduled. Drake Passage was very rough. We had a lot of fog and one day of snow (we had a snowman next to the swimming pool!) I don't have a problem with seasickness, but one of my traveling companions does. She was a bit queasy for the first couple of days (the seas were very calm then), but had no problem with the roughest of the seas. She was taking an anit-nausea drug. Another traveling companion got a very good price reduction after final payment. It was a great cruise, and I would do it again in a minute.

Carolyn

We were on the same sailing with "Doctor G" and also had a great time. But we generally do B2B or B2B2B cruises as we live in the interior of Alaska and fly to every cruise embarkation port. Doing a B2B or B2B2B seems like a better use of air fare. That February 15th Antarctic cruise fit well with the two following it -- Buenos Aires to Valparaiso and then on through the Panama Canal to Ft. Lauderdale. We actually enjoyed the second and third legs so much that we are re-booked in 2017.

And we have a friend who has worked the expedition ships. She has some incredible stories of some of the sea conditions, so I was satisfied with the "drive by."

We are joining this cruise February, 2017 and can't wait. We can't afford the smaller ships but am so thrilled to be able to do this one. Maybe someday we'll be able to actually do the landing but, for now, the price is right and we're going!

Us too! Booked it the day it became available! Can't wait.

- Joel

Thanks to all who replied! It was great to get so many comments. I have no doubt this is one of those trips of a lifetime, but I just have a hard time grappling with the thought of getting really, REALLY sick if conditions are bad - possibly for days since from what I have read sometimes the ship has to make more than one attempt to get to Antarctica. I so want to go, but neither do I want to get sick. I absolutely hate dramamine since it knocks me out and I probably wouldn't feel like doing anything. The thought of the ship rocking and rolling as some describe frankly scares me to death. I believe the ONLY way I will go down there is a trip that flies over the Drake. I'm not the adventurous sort, and so whatever would be the calmest way to get there would be for me. The pics look amazing....but the one of the bow of the ship during heavy waves is almost enough to make me queasy without even being on water! I've been trying to talk myself into an Antarctica trip now for years and just can't seem to do it.....

As far as I know, only a smaller expedition company will fly you over the Drake so you can get on a ship and cruise in Antarctic waters amongst the islands that offer a certain degree of protection. They are pricey, but worth it IMHO. I would not recommend doing the "flight excursions" offered by some of the bigger cruise lines. Personally, aside from the weather risk of going/not going or even ability to see anything once you get over the continent, there's not enough bang for the buck ... my humble opinion.

Thanks to all who replied! It was great to get so many comments. I have no doubt this is one of those trips of a lifetime, but I just have a hard time grappling with the thought of getting really, REALLY sick if conditions are bad - possibly for days since from what I have read sometimes the ship has to make more than one attempt to get to Antarctica. I so want to go, but neither do I want to get sick. I absolutely hate dramamine since it knocks me out and I probably wouldn't feel like doing anything. The thought of the ship rocking and rolling as some describe frankly scares me to death. I believe the ONLY way I will go down there is a trip that flies over the Drake. I'm not the adventurous sort, and so whatever would be the calmest way to get there would be for me. The pics look amazing....but the one of the bow of the ship during heavy waves is almost enough to make me queasy without even being on water! I've been trying to talk myself into an Antarctica trip now for years and just can't seem to do it.....

Don't give up ! I'm really, really prone to seasickness but a combination of ginger capsules and dried ginger and watching my food intake ( no sweets, nothing fatty like fries but soup and sandwich for a day or so) and no alcohol when the seas are rough ALWAYS have let me find my sea legs in a day or two. I consider them small restrictions if I'm able to go on cruising. And some of the worst seas we have encountered were on the North Sea in the English Channel !

If I were to fly I would go with an outfit like Quark. Definitely pricey. What I like about the infinity trip is also getting to visit ports in South America. It's a very tough decision - one I've been trying to make for years now!

Being sea-sick is just about one of the worse things ...EVER!!! I'm lucky...in that I don't have that situation on cruise ships...but did..in the past...on private sail boats...and I know...you just want to get off...or DIE!!! :eek:

TBH...I don't want you to miss this cruise of a lifetime...BUT...being on board and being sick is just no fun!! Obviously only you can decide..and because what the weather/seas bring you is never a sure thing...if I were in your shoes...or "boat"...:o I don't know what I would do....i guess all we can do here is try and tell you what has or has not happened to us...and that is just OUR experience. Good luck with your choice...I think the advice given here re what to do to try and avoid that "feeling" is great...one thing I did learn from all those years on private sail boats...is that I did "build up a tolerance"...small comfort maybe? Let us know what you decide...and sending you positive "no sea-sick vibes"!!! ;) LuAnn

LuAnn,

So kind of you! Thanks! I will continue to do research. I want to see what Tauck and Collette are offering- I know I had looked at their Antarctic trips over the years. This Celebrity trip came to mind again since I was just on a Baltic cruise where it was being advertised.

Now...for 'cb at sea'...the difference between the gradual climate change you refer to over a long span of time and what has transpired over the past few decades is that WE have induced many of the current changes. No question about it. How can tons of harmful pollutants that are entering the atmosphere every day not have deleterious and probably even irreversible effects? Witness the proliferation of more intense water and wind storms, fires, droughts (take a look at Lake Mead if you've not been there recently), rising sea levels, melting glaciers, and so on...especially in places that typically have not had them. The life cycles and habitats of countless species on earth have been disrupted. Warmer weather is moving to higher elevations and affecting vegetation. The giant seqoias only grow within a relatively narrow range of elevation, so they could certainly be threatened by temperature change. The US in particular had better get their act together. I was recently in Denmark and they already generate 70% of their total energy via renewable energy. Obviously they are a small country but still most of the recent administrations in DC were all about big oil and big money. Praise to Obama for probably being one of the most environmentally conscious presidents of recent times. Of course, the Republicans will do all they can to shoot down his recent plan. The climate has and always will change - most certainly - but we have hastened it on in ways never quite seen before. It is not due to natural events such as caused the ice ages and the like. Sorry...just my 2 cents. All that being said..I will agree with you that the weather people often don't know jack about what is going to happen in the next 24 hours let alone a 10-day period....

Keith

Edited by three4rd

One, don't obsess over it. I've had motion sickness my whole life, an hour in a car was about my limit as a kid and I still cannot read in a moving car.

Modern meds are wonderful. The old Dramamine still works but like you say it makes you sleepy and very thirsty. The new breed, "Dramamine II" or "Bonine" typically do not do that and they work very well indeed (generic name "meclizine"). There is also "the patch" which I've never used. I find nowadays that I get my sea-legs after a day or two and rarely take anything after that.

GO FOR IT:)

P.S. As for all the climate stuff, the following is a quote from one who led the compilation of the latest IPCC report.

Climate policy has almost nothing to do anymore with environmental protection, says the German economist and IPCC official Ottmar Edenhofer. 'The next world climate summit in Cancun is actually an economic summit during which the distribution of the world’s resources will be negotiated.' – Ottmar Edenhofer 2010

In other words, it's mostly about redistribution and control of our lives by the self-styled elites.

Edited by pspercy

Being that there are no landings on the Infinity trip, does any part of the itinerary provide for any sort of excursion and/or landing that would allow one to see penguins, etc? That would at least compensate in some small way for not getting to do any zodiac trips. I find the daily itinerary description on X's website to be rather sketchy and lacking in detail compared to other trips and cruises that I have done over the years.

Being that there are no landings on the Infinity trip, does any part of the itinerary provide for any sort of excursion and/or landing that would allow one to see penguins, etc? That would at least compensate in some small way for not getting to do any zodiac trips. I find the daily itinerary description on X's website to be rather sketchy and lacking in detail compared to other trips and cruises that I have done over the years.

For me seeing the penguins on the Falkland Islands was the highlight of the trip. It is a very rugged, long drive to get there, but absolutely worth it. There are hundreds of three varieties of penguins (King, Gentoo, Magellanic). We did the trip with Patrick Watts, but there are others that also do this trip. We also took the tour to Punta Tombo in Puerto Madryn and saw hundreds of Magellanic penguins in a very different habitat than the Falklands. I did not see a single penguin in Antarctica!

Carolyn

I am booked on the Feb. 2017 Antarctica trip on the Infinity!!!! Woo-hoo! Can't wait! I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders since I have been entertaining the idea of going to Antarctica on and off for probably the last 10 years, grappling with all the various options - big ship, small ship, fly / cruise options, etc. It has been high up on the bucket list for a long time. Now that I know HOW I'm getting there I can just concentrate on what is available in the way of excursions and so forth. Thanks so much to all who encouraged me to go! I really like the itinerary and the idea of getting to see a few places in South America as well. Now all I'll need is smooth sailing. But at least if things are not so good I was able to snag the last mid-ship room available - I'd much rather be there for any cruise than forward or aft. So if I have to spend a few days mostly in the room suffering from seasickness, so be it. A price to pay perhaps for being able to go to such an amazing place from what everyone has been telling me here.

Edited by three4rd

I am booked on the Feb. 2017 Antarctica trip on the Infinity!!!! Woo-hoo! Can't wait! I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders since I have been entertaining the idea of going to Antarctica on and off for probably the last 10 years, grappling with all the various options - big ship, small ship, fly / cruise options, etc. It has been high up on the bucket list for a long time. Now that I know HOW I'm getting there I can just concentrate on what is available in the way of excursions and so forth. Thanks so much to all who encouraged me to go! I really like the itinerary and the idea of getting to see a few places in South America as well. Now all I'll need is smooth sailing. But at least if things are not so good I was able to snag the last mid-ship room available - I'd much rather be there for any cruise than forward or aft. So if I have to spend a few days mostly in the room suffering from seasickness, so be it. A price to pay perhaps for being able to go to such an amazing place from what everyone has been telling me here.

So happy you made that decision...and getting that cabin may well help you feel more comfortable if there are tough seas!!! I am so happy for you!!! I agree that ...if you can...right now...get on your R/C for your cruise and book a tour with "Patrick Watts" in the Falklands...one of the best experiences of our lives...and we have been lucky to travel a lot! Re..."no penguins in Antarctica"...that was not what we saw/experienced..remember..EVERY cruise is different...we saw hundreds of them...right off the bow...traveling with us...and many on land as well...it is the LUCK OF THE DRAW...so pay you $$ and take your chances!!! Seeing hundreds of them...off the bow...was another experience of a life-time...please..remember..not every cruise is the same...so...as you have done...pay your $$ and take your chances..and no matter what happens...it will be the experience ..I think..that you will cherish forever!!! LuAnn