What are your best drink tips for Princess?

EagerTravelerBC

My fave fou-fou drink is their Dirty Banana. It's a chocolate banana daiquiri. But then again, my standard go to drinks are a Tangueria martini or Maker's Mark on the rocks. Assuming, of course, this is where you were hoping to go.

Edited by Treven

I see differing threads with somewhat helpful info on them regarding beverages on Princess. I am trying to pull together (for a good friend) your best hints/tips for drinking on Princess. Both alcoholic and non-alcoholic. Many thanks in advance. :)

Don't know if you have seen this thread.....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2038576&highlight=all+inclusive

Thank you all. Looking for money saving hints and tips beyond drinks packages. Of course not drinking to excess etc. are my personal minimum standards, always good to repeat for other travelers though.

Thank you for the thread link.. interesting but not terribly up to date.

Looking forward to hearing more!

Just from coming back from a Med cruise last month, my best drink tips would have to be:

1. Happy Hour - GREAT Bargain IF You Can Find a Seat (Here's How)! There are two happy hours daily, one in the late afternoon in the Wheelhouse, and one at the Skywalkers Club at 10pm (awfully loud). On a 14-day cruise I made it to a half dozen, five of which were in the earlier Wheelhouse bar. There at the Wheelhouse (only) IF you want to enjoy your beverage seated, get there NO LATER THAN 5-10 minutes after it starts (but no need to come more than 10 minutes early). Every time I went, 10 minutes after it officially started (3:30, 4 or 4:30), those who wandered were unable to find seats. Mostly then, after wandering around forlornly, they ultimately departed the bar empty (drink-)handed. I saw this every time I attended. But like I said, you don't have to come extra early, this regrettable state of affairs is easily avoided if you're simply reasonably prompt.

2. Bring the Recipe. If you have a favorite cocktail that has more than, say, two ingredients, bring the recipe. I like Old Fashions (whiskey, soda, bitters, orange slice, muddled cherry, sugar) and they very often forgot one ingredient. Swear! Happily I knew precisely what was in the drink to help them during the send-backs, but if you just can't put your finger on that missing ingredient and have it written down somewhere handy, you're golden! Easy-peasy.

3. Be Courteous (Actually, Bring it to the Next Level). I realize this is common sense anyway, but I'm mentioning it particularly re your interfacings with the bar staff. Every time I said "THANK you," or "I REALLY appreciate it," etc. with some emphasis and added a nice and genuine smile, good things continually happened such as extra fast and prompt service, the imparting of some inside ship tips, extra extra and even more extra raffle tickets, some mutual come-hither looks (I remember what these were because I was a young man once), free ("Oh, we had an extra...") drinks; just a whole boatload of good vibes and juju! Hell, sometimes I didn't even NEED the drink (but I know, that's crazy talk)!

4. Refrain from Paying High Prices or Obtaining an AIBP. If you'd like to regularly enjoy a before-dinner or sea-day cocktail or two in your cabin inexpensively, er, from my understanding, a rum-runner or cocktail caddy-like plastic bladder containing whiskey, rum, or your favorite spirit, makes an extremely wise addition to your luggage ifyouknowwhatimean.

You're welcome (I know you'll thank me later)!

Thank you for your generous words and time Chunder!

Just from coming back from a Med cruise last month, my best drink tips would have to be:

1. Happy Hour - GREAT Bargain IF You Can Find a Seat (Here's How)! There are two happy hours daily, one in the late afternoon in the Wheelhouse, and one at the Skywalkers Club at 10pm (awfully loud). On a 14-day cruise I made it to a half dozen, five of which were in the earlier Wheelhouse bar. There at the Wheelhouse (only) IF you want to enjoy your beverage seated, get there NO LATER THAN 5-10 minutes after it starts (but no need to come more than 10 minutes early). Every time I went, 10 minutes after it officially started (3:30, 4 or 4:30), those who wandered were unable to find seats. Mostly then, after wandering around forlornly, they ultimately departed the bar empty (drink-)handed. I saw this every time I attended. But like I said, you don't have to come extra early, this regrettable state of affairs is easily avoided if you're simply reasonably prompt.

2. Bring the Recipe. If you have a favorite cocktail that has more than, say, two ingredients, bring the recipe. I like Old Fashions (whiskey, soda, bitters, orange slice, muddled cherry, sugar) and they very often forgot one ingredient. Swear! Happily I knew precisely what was in the drink to help them during the send-backs, but if you just can't put your finger on that missing ingredient and have it written down somewhere handy, you're golden! Easy-peasy.

3. Be Courteous (Actually, Bring it to the Next Level). I realize this is common sense anyway, but I'm mentioning it particularly re your interfacings with the bar staff. Every time I said "THANK you," or "I REALLY appreciate it," etc. with some emphasis and added a nice and genuine smile, good things continually happened such as extra fast and prompt service, the imparting of some inside ship tips, extra extra and even more extra raffle tickets, some mutual come-hither looks (I remember what these were because I was a young man once), free ("Oh, we had an extra...") drinks; just a whole boatload of good vibes and juju! Hell, sometimes I didn't even NEED the drink (but I know, that's crazy talk)!

4. Refrain from Paying High Prices or Obtaining an AIBP. If you'd like to regularly enjoy a before-dinner or sea-day cocktail or two in your cabin inexpensively, er, from my understanding, a rum-runner or cocktail caddy-like plastic bladder containing whiskey, rum, or your favorite spirit, makes an extremely wise addition to your luggage ifyouknowwhatimean.

You're welcome (I know you'll thank me later)!

Not if you get caught. Don't you think Princess knows all the little tricks people use to try to sneak booze on board?

Not if you get caught. Don't you think Princess knows all the little tricks people use to try to sneak booze on board?

Oh, I'm sure they do. They just don't seem to be very diligent, or care little, about discovering them. In fact I'd bet dollars to donuts that 99 out of 100 are completely undisturbed in your luggage when you unpack. And even if you're that 100th person, they'll only remind you that they want you to buy their liquor (Al Capone would be proud) and then take yours -- no big deal. And it's not as if you then have to cruise "dry" -- they're still quite happy to sell all you want on board. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again tomorrow if I were cruising. I say live a little, but that's just me. Otherwise bless you if it's not your style, inclination, or (unlike me) you have money to burn. :)

Waiting for DW before dinner on Panama cruise I asked for a scotch and water. The waiter asked if I would like a Double for $6.95 (or what ever standard prices was) I said 'Yes, please'.

He ordered a Rob Roy with No Vermouth - so barman put more scotch in :-)

Would they give you unopened beer at happy hour to bring back?

I don't myself remember seeing anybody walking around with, or drinking from, cans or bottles during the happy hour; but others have reported that one CAN ask for and receive bottled champagne splits on HH to take to your cabin for morning mimosas. [Yumm.]

Would they give you unopened beer at happy hour to bring back?

Yes they will (at least its my past experience). Nothing in the HH promotion that says the drinks must be consumed in the bar where the HHs are held...