RCI port in San Juan?

I will be sailing on Adventure of the Seas on Sept 12 out of San Juan. Can anyone tell me which port we sail from? Also, I've booked a grand suite, so I think I have a different line for embarking? Any information on where/how I should navigate once at the correct port or any other helpful hints would be greatly appreciated! Does anyone have any suite experience on Adventure? It's my first time in a suite and I'd like to know what to expect.

Pan American pier is used for cruises that begin/end in San Juan (your cruise)

Old San Juan pier is used for cruises that originated elsewhere, and San Juan is a port of call on the itinerary

Edited by DonnaK

I will be sailing on Adventure of the Seas on Sept 12 out of San Juan. Can anyone tell me which port we sail from? Also, I've booked a grand suite, so I think I have a different line for embarking? Any information on where/how I should navigate once at the correct port or any other helpful hints would be greatly appreciated! Does anyone have any suite experience on Adventure? It's my first time in a suite and I'd like to know what to expect.

Adventure departs from PanAm Pier. Being in a GS cabin you will be directed to the Suite Line for Check-in. Once checked in, if boarding has already started, you will just follow the crowd onto the ship.:)

I just sailed from there last week (got back saturday, 5 days ago). Embarking seems easier here because there is such a long day to do so, and people come at their leisure all throughout the day. We went at the height of it and still only stood in line for about 15 minutes. There were very few people in the diamond and suite line, maybe 5 or 10 people.

I will say (and im sure I'll get slammed for it), that you are wasting your money getting a suite on this route. Unless you plan to stay on the ship, you will rarely be in your room. Most people do this route to be on te islands and once you're back from the day you will barely have time or energy to do anything but shower, eat and sleep. I had a promenade room and didn't even think that was worth spending extra money on. Unless you are someone who spends a lot of time in their room or just likes to have the bigger room because you can, or because you need to blow through some money...its a waste on this route. Just my opinion but think about how much time you actually plan to spend on the ship. If you're like most people, it will be very little, meaning the extra ammenities you get probably also won't be worth it. We were so tired we didn't even have the energy for a drink at night. And I never once saw anyone in the special roped off area at the pool because nobody was ever at the pool...they were at the beach. Never a problem finding space except on the one sea day. The ship is virtually empty all day. Just a thought.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

Totally agree..

We were on her in January. Got on the ship early being diamond.

In the Windjammer and waited for our cabins.

First day was a sea day and really no chair hoggers..

We did a prom. room and I thought it was great.. got the best seat in the house for the shows and people watching.. hahaha

If you really don't need the suite save the money and do another cruise or do a back to back.

I just sailed from there last week (got back saturday, 5 days ago). Embarking seems easier here because there is such a long day to do so, and people come at their leisure all throughout the day. We went at the height of it and still only stood in line for about 15 minutes. There were very few people in the diamond and suite line, maybe 5 or 10 people.

I will say (and im sure I'll get slammed for it), that you are wasting your money getting a suite on this route. Unless you plan to stay on the ship, you will rarely be in your room. Most people do this route to be on te islands and once you're back from the day you will barely have time or energy to do anything but shower, eat and sleep. I had a promenade room and didn't even think that was worth spending extra money on. Unless you are someone who spends a lot of time in their room or just likes to have the bigger room because you can, or because you need to blow through some money...its a waste on this route. Just my opinion but think about how much time you actually plan to spend on the ship. If you're like most people, it will be very little, meaning the extra ammenities you get probably also won't be worth it. We were so tired we didn't even have the energy for a drink at night. And I never once saw anyone in the special roped off area at the pool because nobody was ever at the pool...they were at the beach. Never a problem finding space except on the one sea day. The ship is virtually empty all day. Just a thought.

Totally agree..

We were on her in January. Got on the ship early being diamond.

In the Windjammer and waited for our cabins.

First day was a sea day and really no chair hoggers..

We did a prom. room and I thought it was great.. got the best seat in the house for the shows and people watching.. hahaha

If you really don't need the suite save the money and do another cruise or do a back to back.

I am not sure why either of you felt the need to tell the OP that she wasted her money, or to save her money for another cruise. They are sailing in 30 days... lil late to change their minds.

I really enjoyed our GS on Adventure. I feel we got a very good value for our money. My stepson and friend were in a promenade room. They had a GREAT RA - he joked with them all time about them keeping the bed together (2 straight males) They had a blast, My DS was in an OV and wished she had gone for the PR or the GS...

We arrived as a group at about 1 pm. My stepson didn't print out his paperwork (grrrr) We were all sent to different lines and my DS and BiL were the first through their line, we were next by a couple minutes and stepson was less then 5 mins behind us.

We went to the Ice Show (alone) and walked right in to the gold section. We enjoyed the CL every evening, met some very interesting people. We did not use the gold section by the pool (was with DS) but we did enjoy the big screen TV, it was an older movie playing, but one we liked.

It is a very port intensive cruise, which made us really miss sea days, I dont regret getting the GS, I regretted not booking a b2b :)

Are there any shops at the pan am pier to buy our two bottles of wine?

Thanks

There is a shop inside the terminal. I know they sell wine, what brands and so forth I am not sure.

We tipped our taxi driver a little extra to stop at a CVS or Walgreens or something along those lines. He took us to Walgreens, he said it was the closest and on the way.

We enjoyed our GS also. We loved it and the amenities it brought. On some of the islands, we'd get back onto the ship after doing a tour or spending time on a beach, and would enjoy our room and balcony or go up to the pool area to enjoy the quiet time there. I hope you enjoy your suite and all that goes with it. In the Concierge Lounge, the Concierge was one of the best we've ever had in many cruises. He helped us get tours for 10 people and a reservation for specialty dining. He was always asking if he could do anything for us. We got to the pier around 11:15 and got right in and maybe waited 5 minutes before they opened the door to the ship. Easy.:D

We arrived at the pier around 12:30 and got a porter, tipped $3-4 a bag and went through the "no bags" line with our rolling carry on etc. The only reason we could do this was because we had printed and applied our luggage tags before arriving at the port. We had family that arrived 1/2 hour before us and we're waiting in the "with bags" line and we were done eating and enjoying 2 drinks in the windjammer by the time they got on :) so I recommend the porter. Maybe there is a similar free service for GS, or the bags line doesn't apply to you, but it was a big probably 1.5 hour swing. And both families were gold, so it's not like we had some kind of difference there.

Have a great time!

This route is port intensive with only one sea day but that does not mean that you are so exhausted that a night all you have energy to do is shower, eat and sleep. Maybe that is all you felt like doing but I think it depends on how much you did while at each port during the day. Also if you are an energetic person normally you will not be so beat down that you can't enjoy yourself in the evening. When I did this route I was up at night till it was just nothing else to do, then I would go back and sit out on my balcony and enjoy the moon and stars and would doze off! I would tell the OP to enjoy their suite! I don't think they made a mistake at all! :cool:

Adventure departs from PanAm Pier. Being in a GS cabin you will be directed to the Suite Line for Check-in. Once checked in, if boarding has already started, you will just follow the crowd onto the ship.:)

One note about the suite line- if there is a crowd trying to get into the check in building, the suite line is pretty hidden- it's a line to the far left of all the lines. And every time we've sailed using it- it's also really short- so the end may be hard to find.

So if you don't see it, ask someone. They will very quickly direct you to the correct line.

We were on the Adventure in a GS just after the 4th of July week- and really enjoyed it. Not sure why people answer the "what port, and is there a special line" question with - "you wasted your money". That's not what was asked, so why offer?

BTW, we really enjoyed the suite dinner with officers. It was an event up in the WJ, and sat with a few of them for quite a while. Really nice event.

Do not listen to those who say you wasted your money! We have sailed on both AOS and EOS, sister ships and have stayed in GS all three times. Great room, balcony, location, service, amenities, reserved seating, priority embarkation and disembarkation. Been on itinerary as intensive as yours twice. One sea day. Exhausted ourselves when in port and when we got back to the ship thoroughly enjoyed the GS and balcony as a place for R&R, get second wind and enjoy the evening on the ship. ENJOY!

It's your money, your choice, and your cruise. To us, a full suite is well worth it.

We cruised in an Owners Suite on the Adventure of the Seas over Christmas week in December 2015 and have another Owners Suite booked for this Christmas.

How tired you are at the end of the day, and what you do after spending a day ashore, depends entirely on your activities on any given port day.

We enjoy the "Suite Life" and highly recommend it. We enjoy our stateroom, our balcony, and all the amenities that are part of the GS and above category.

Below is a link to the official Royal Caribbean website page which lists the perks for suite guests.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithHero.do?pagename=enhanced_program_for_suite_guests

Happy cruising!

Thank you everyone for all of your responses! I'm sorry I've been so late to reply back...I just sent my firstborn off to college! Your insights have been very helpful! I am looking forward to this cruise and the hints you've all provided should help me start it all off just right!!!!

I am not sure why either of you felt the need to tell the OP that she wasted her money,

I agree. It amazes me when someone takes so much time and energy to lecture someone else with their opinions that are irrelevant to the original questions....................:rolleyes:

To OP FYI we always get to the port in SJU around 11:00, usually on the ship within 30-45 minutes :) Enjoy your suite!

Edited by bouhunter

Thank you everyone for all of your responses! I'm sorry I've been so late to reply back...I just sent my firstborn off to college! Your insights have been very helpful! I am looking forward to this cruise and the hints you've all provided should help me start it all off just right!!!!

As others have said you will be at the PamAm pier. While we have come to love Royal Caribbean and will be on NOS out of Galveston in 3 weeks, when you are in San Juan you will be docked end to end with what has become our favorite ship that we have ever been on - the Celebrity Summit. We have been on her 3 times now - 2 times out of San Juan and once to Bermuda. Nice size ship with great crew. You will see her in a couple of your ports as well as the Summit does a similar itinerary to your ship.

Enjoy your cruise - you'll have a great time - and enjoy your GS. We had one last year on FOS and thoroughly enjoyed it.

In June we got to the port at around 10:30 and the building opened up around 11. Drop your bags with the porters and take the line closest to the building. Once inside they will direct you to the suite line. If you get there much later the suite chairs will be full and you will be seated in the general seating. No wine to speak of at the port - get it in advance at a grocery (Pueblo) or drug store. They do have some rum, but this will likely be confiscated before you get onboard and returned when you get off. Cab fare from the airport or the Isla Verde area is around $23 (zoned fixed rates).

Research the Puerto Rico board for lots of info on places to stay and visit.

Easy to get a cab getting off the ship - just go to the booth and they write a ticket and call the cab for you. At the airport remember to run your luggage through the agriculture inspection before trying to check in. If you buy cheese, declare it and they let it pass. Also note that you can't check your bags in earlier than four hours before the flight. There is a storage area (at least at American Airlines) that will store bags for $10 each. We had nearly 7 hours to wait, so we stored our bags, went through security and relaxed in the airline lounge until we could check in bags. Security lines can be VERY long in San Juan - too late for the OP, but getting Global Entry or TSA Precheck is worth doing. Virtually no food available in the non-secure areas of the terminal.

The staff on this ship mingle a lot with suite and C&A members - really great people and the crew seems to enjoy working on this ship. You should have a great vacation!

Oh, yes. The lines for customs/immigration can be hours long once you pick up your luggage. There is a suite line to the right (or you can use a porter) that will shorten the wait considerably. Getting off early (suite perk) also helps a lot with this.

We are on the Sept 12 sailing, I am from PA and we have a JS. We had a JS on Jewel in November, another port intensive cruise , and totally enjoyed the space and amenities. How dare someone tell you that you wasted your money! We used our suite plenty, even on port intensive. We like the larger cabin bathroom, balcony, etc. We had no issues with embarking , in fact , it was incredibly easy. Just relax, enjoy the cruise and maybe we will cross paths. Very soon now

We are on the Sept 12 sailing, I am from PA and we have a JS. We had a JS on Jewel in November, another port intensive cruise , and totally enjoyed the space and amenities. How dare someone tell you that you wasted your money! We used our suite plenty, even on port intensive. We like the larger cabin bathroom, balcony, etc. We had no issues with embarking , in fact , it was incredibly easy. Just relax, enjoy the cruise and maybe we will cross paths. Very soon now

I too am from PA. :) Thanks to you and to everyone that chimed in to defend my suite choice for me...I took those comments with a grain of salt and am thankful that there are those that prefer cabins that I personally couldn't tolerate (clautrophobia)...it leaves the availability open for me. Regardless of their cabin choice (or disapproval of mine), I appreciated all answers to my questions.

Oh, yes. The lines for customs/immigration can be hours long once you pick up your luggage. .

We've cruised from SJU 5 of the last 6 years with RCCL. Never waited "hours" at customs. :rolleyes: It's usually been maybe 10-15 minutes, 20 at most......NEVER "hours"....... In fact it's always been one of the quickest ports to get out of that we've dealt with. And have never been in suites or used porters.

We always stay in San Juan for a couple nights after the cruise so it hasn't mattered to us anyway :)

Edited by bouhunter

I just sailed from there last week (got back saturday, 5 days ago). Embarking seems easier here because there is such a long day to do so, and people come at their leisure all throughout the day.

I concur. That was my experience. I had read horror stories about people standing in the sun for hours waiting to board prior to my finally cruising from there. I suppose problem could still occur on occasion, but most people think they have this process down right at this port. I had heard of problems departing back home from the airport due to agriculture inspections, but I think the airport has done a better job organizing this as well.

The only problem I had (sort of ) was the long custom lines at the end of the cruise. The way the terminal was laid out the custom lines went down the middle of the terminal and people who got their bags near the front just joined the line there. I had a late flight, so I just shook my head, and went with the flow.

Well, I appreciate the thoughts about room choice compared to itinerary. We're doing this December of next year and have a really decent balcony room, but this has made me remember that there won't be huge amounts of time to appreciate it unless I make that time. It's like deciding on the drinks package for a port-heavy itinerary. For me, probably not worth it (and I'm talking Replenish); might be best to get the water package and buy my lattes OOP. But until someone mentioned the port day issue I hadn't thought of it.

So it might not help the OP, but it's helped at least one person.

(and not everyone reads the cruise dates when replying, or maybe misses the year...after all, I'm talking about December 2016 here, and it would be easy for someone to miss that, and think I'm talking about this year)