Across from laundry room

dottiedef

Planning a cruise on the Regal. Is it a problem to have a cabin right across from the self service laundry room. I mean RIGHT across from the entrance? We don't use it because we are elite and get free laundry but not many cabins left. Thanks for advice.

Dottie:)

We were across from a laundry room on the Diamond Princess a few years back. Weren't Elite then so it was a great location for us on a 28-day cruise.

We did notice just a few times folks would sometimes congregate outside the door and have conversations but it was nothing to complain about.

Evening traffic and noise wasn't an issue as most times they are emptied out by 10PM.

We were 3 doors down on the Royal Princess. Loved the location. Not noisy at all. if you were to find someone using it and maybe talking too loud etc you could always go out and close the door if it is open.

Edited by dickinson

Just had a cabin on regal across from the laundry room. It went straight through to the other side of the ship. Well used on sea days, but we weren't bothered at all. Be aware what is under you. Late each evening we heard load clattering as I guess they were clearing up. Woke me up on more than one occasion. Think we were over the crown grill.

Last year on the Island Princess, we were supposed to be right across from the laundry room. Luckily, another cabin opened up and I was able to move us around the corner.

Our observation was that due to the poor ventilation of this particular laundry room, the door was often left propped open (to let the heat escape). BTW, this is a major fire hazard.

There was also a television, mostly turned to sports, and several men appeared to have turned the laundry room into their "man cave".

DH commented to me on more than one occasion, "I'm so glad that you got our cabin moved.".

It wasn't the noise so much that would have bothered me, as it really wasn't that noisy. I was more concerned about the hot air blasting out into the hallway and the fact that the fire door should have remained closed, but was propped open.

IIRC, the laundry room has double doors. One going into the entry of the laundry and another going into the actual laundry where the washers and dryers are. We've been close to the laundry room and never hear anything. Same with the elevators, people get anxious booking near them.

I think it would depend upon the length of the cruise, and the ship, as to whether or not proximity to the laundry room would be problem. The Island doesn't have the double doors, like some other ships, which is why I was concerned about a possible fire. My dad is a retired firefighter, so I am probably more sensitive than most regarding fire hazards.

...The Island doesn't have the double doors, like some other ships, which is why I was concerned about a possible fire. My dad is a retired firefighter, so I am probably more sensitive than most regarding fire hazards.

You are right to be concerned--dryer fires are among the most common types. Do you recall if it had a door stop placed under it, or did it stay open on its own? If it was the latter, it may be a door that automatically closes when alarms sound.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78
spelling

You are right to be concerned--dryer fires are among the most common types. Do you recall if it had a door stop placed under it, or did it stay open on its own? If it was the latter, it may be a door that automatically closes when alarms sound.

I seem to recall they were using a chair.

IIRC, the laundry room has double doors. One going into the entry of the laundry and another going into the actual laundry where the washers and dryers are. We've been close to the laundry room and never hear anything. Same with the elevators, people get anxious booking near them.

The royal doesn't have double laundry doors.

The royal doesn't have double laundry doors.

That comes as a bit of surprise because on every other Princess ship there has been two doors with a vestibule between the two, I always assumed this was for noise abatement.