Freedom from Danny

So, does RCCl offer any type of compensation? I totally understand the weather but, Western itenerary is typically cheaper. I belueve we lost Cocoacay and a sea day too. I was really counting on this specific itenerary. I called RCCl and they didn't have any info on the change. He said to me "well, you're getting 7 day cruise still". As if it's only about the ship. If that were true all 7 day sailing would cost the same.

So, does RCCl offer any type of compensation? I totally understand the weather but, Western itenerary is typically cheaper. I belueve we lost Cocoacay and a sea day too. I was really counting on this specific itenerary. I called RCCl and they didn't have any info on the change. He said to me "well, you're getting 7 day cruise still". As if it's only about the ship. If that were true all 7 day sailing would cost the same.

Typically no compensation offered for weather related port changes.

Grand Cayman is our absolute favorite port! So nice!

Have fun... we were on the "fire" cruise. I was stressed the whole day we would not be making Grand Cayman... so glad we did.

So what's best to do on Cayman......can you scuba dive? I did my Open water in 93 and have not dived since......

You should get a refund if the port charges are cheaper. But Royal doesn't have to offer you any compensation...I'm pretty sure it's in your cruise contract that they can change the itinerary at will...especially when it comes to keeping you safe. We were on the Freedom for an Eastern in December. It was when the propeller needed to be removed. So, they switched our Eastern to Nassau, Cozumel, and Coco. VASTLY different than what we booked, but a great trip regardless...it will be what you make it.

I understand your frustration but I would rather be safe than worry about an itinerary. If you sail a lot you will find that these things happen from time to time especially during hurricane season.

We rode in the super storm Hurricane Sandy.....trust me...after that nothing is a big deal to me......;)

I really do hope you enjoy your cruise.....

You should get a refund if the port charges are cheaper. But Royal doesn't have to offer you any compensation...I'm pretty sure it's in your cruise contract that they can change the itinerary at will...especially when it comes to keeping you safe. We were on the Freedom for an Eastern in December. It was when the propeller needed to be removed. So, they switched our Eastern to Nassau, Cozumel, and Coco. VASTLY different than what we booked, but a great trip regardless...it will be what you make it.

But if the port charges are higher on the new itinerary, they will NOT charge you more. ;) :D

Snorkeling with the Stingrays in Grand Cayman... take Moby Dick/CaptainMarvin's trips - you can book at the port - around $35 pp

You tender in - the lines are SOOO long when it's time to go - we went over to Margaritaville, overlooking the tender departing area - drank, played on their water slide, and watched until the line was gone - we ended up going on one of the last tenders, with the crew!

So what's best to do on Cayman......can you scuba dive? I did my Open water in 93 and have not dived since......

Grand Cayman is the Scuba capital of the world! You can take your pick of walls or wrecks or the ever popular Stingray City. You'll have a blast!

Elvis

I totally understand the weather but, Western itenerary is typically cheaper.

Not according to historical prices and current trend. Not by much, but Western is more expensive, but of course you probably won't have the typical Western - there's just too many ships diverted due to the storm to allow for a regular Western. When the Oasis diverted everyone should have assumed the rest of the ships doing Eastern could as well.

Edited by Biker19

I'm on the Freedom today too. Cayman looks like the only port that won't have a lot of rain. I don't mind, as I cruise a lot, so stormy/rainy seas are great to me. Happy to see that the Cayman Islands' weather is looking good for those who want some port time.

We are going to Jamaica and Grand Cayman......

That sounds great......any tips? We ay going in the morning!

In Grand Cayman, walk a few blocks to the bus station. Take cheap bus to 7 mile beach. Ask to get off at Governors Beach. Swim and enjoy for several hours. Walk to Sunshine Grill for painkillers and shrimp tacos. Then take the bus back to port. One of our easiest and best days ever on Freedom!

In Jamaica we booked ahead through Resorts for a Day. Since it's probably too late for that, I would walk around the town and try the food. Make sure you bring home the bottled jerk seasoning. Wonderful stuff.

I understand your frustration but I would rather be safe than worry about an itinerary.

So this came to mind. What if you were not allowed to go to Mexico? I must make this clear. I do not have any warrant or wanted by any country. But what if you were sailing on a eastern itinerary and Royal changed it do to what ever. Would RCCL let you rebook or cancel without a penalty?

So this came to mind. What if you were not allowed to go to Mexico? I must make this clear. I do not have any warrant or wanted by any country. But what if you were sailing on a eastern itinerary and Royal changed it do to what ever. Would RCCL let you rebook or cancel without a penalty?

From the contract everyone agrees to when they book...

image.jpg.3390e92b9e9b0b62618b5873721246c5.jpg

Why is this the first thing that comes to mind in a situation like this? The safety and comfort of the passengers and ship should be compensation enough.

I'll explain why. It goes without saying that it is more important to keep the ship safe. obviously no one wants to be put in harms way for the sake of an itinerary. With that being said, it is perfectly normal to be upset that you are not getting the experience you paid for. Typically a Eastern sailing is less than a Western sailing. Even if it is only $50 pp, that is less. My point is that we are paying more for an itinerary that would have been less and an experience that I would never, ever choose to go on. That is why I am willing to pay more to go Eastern. I understand they have the right and it's great that they are keeping us safe. if I could use the hotel as an example, they have the right to downgrade your room but they must refund you the difference.