device to listen to music on while

njsonja

You could use a streaming service, such as Pandora or Spotify. Both offer free streaming music (with commercials) or a pay service (no commercials). Of course, if you are on the ship, you would need WiFi service to get this, and may need the higher-priced package to stream music.

These services would work with a wifi-enabled iPod, too.

Spotify's pay service allows for downloads of playlists, which would avoid the need for a wifi connection, but since I am too cheap to pay for it, I don't know how it works.

I load my iPhone with audiobooks, music, and even movies. I can't just-treadmill. :)

Audiobooks are probably my favourite. I have books I only allow myself to listen to when I'm on the treadmill and sometimes I'll stay on the 'mill longer because I have to finish a chapter. :)

Edited by CanadianDee

You could use a streaming service, such as Pandora or Spotify. Both offer free streaming music (with commercials) or a pay service (no commercials). Of course, if you are on the ship, you would need WiFi service to get this, and may need the higher-priced package to stream music.

Spotify's pay service allows for downloads of playlists, which would avoid the need for a wifi connection, but since I am too cheap to pay for it, I don't know how it works.

Not practical on a cruise ship.

I vote for the iPod as well. You can load, literally, hundreds of songs and make playlists - I have specific playlists for walk/jog, cool down, stretching, quiet time, instrumental, that type of thing. You can slip it inside the top of your gym shorts and have a step counter/calories burned readout as well.

Not all ship gyms have individual TV screens so don't count on that.

Enjoy your cruise. :)

We prefer inexpensive iPods for music listening. If they get dropped and damaged or lost, they are much easier to replace than our phones, and not as disruptive to our day to day activities if they no longer work.

This. I actually had a guy at the Verizon store tell me NOT to use my phone for this reason especially since I sweat a LOT.

The simplest probably would be a standard Ipod with 200-300 albums on it. I brought an Ipad myself (left my Ipod at home) and it was fairly inconvenient on a treadmill or recumbant bike, whereas my Ipod would have just fit in my back pocket. Inasmuch as Ipods are more or less yesterday's technology, you can probably pick up one with a decent amount of storage for, as the saying goes (and excuse this) "a song."

I'd get an ipod shuffle. It's under $50 bucks, stores 2GB and depending on the bit rate (which you can set), you can load about 400-500 songs on it. It's much more compact than your iphone, and easier to put in a sport case for working out. Throw your favorite tunes on it and you're good to go. :D

Not practical on a cruise ship.

Well this is't true. Spotify Premium is PERFECT, you can download music onto 3 different devices and play them OFFLINE without any need of WiFi or 3G/4G. You can download up to 1000 songs and play your music for 30 days before you need to get online again (after that you have 30 new days that you can play your music offline).

I used Spotify on both my Samsung Phone and my Samsung Tab 4 on our last B2B cruise, the cruise was 21 nights long.

Spotify works on Android, iOS, Smart Tv´s, Windows (Lap Top) and Mac.

I never use anything else then Spotify when I play music. I stream the music with Blue tooth to my carstereo & home stereo from my phone or Tab 4. I even have Spotify built in in my tv and on my home surround receiver.

The best thing is that you can add own MP3 files to your playlists if Spotify doesn't have the music or audio book you like.

To play offline you need Spotify Premium.

http://www.spotify.com

If you do this, you will have a very hefty ship internet bill. Borrow CDs from your local library and dub them to your MP3 player.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

I guess I am very frugal (aka cheap):D.

I go on youtube to find what music I like. Convert the audio track to mp3 format using a youtube to mp3 converter website. Then I simply save all the music to a basic mp3 player, with the built in headphones ( less than $10 ).

Now you are all set to go. :)

If you do this, you will have a very hefty ship internet bill. Borrow CDs from your local library and dub them to your MP3 player.

DON

The cost of Spotify Premium for one month is less then $12 (in Sweden anyway), then you get access to millions of songs and can download up to 1000 of them to be played offline in a couple of minutes (depending on your internet speed). To me that's worth the cost vs. the time it take to go to the library dub them to MP3 and then go back to the library and return the cd's.

During your cruise if you would like to add some new songs, just go to Burger King / McDonalds and use their WiFi and you can add the new songs to your playlist.

I have hundreds of cd's but I never use them. The songs that Spotify doesn't have that I like, them have I ripped to MP3's on my Lap Top. Then I just add them to my playlist on the Lap Top, connect my Phone to the same WiFi as my Lap Top and then start Spotify on both and my playlist get synced. Then I have even the MP3's on the phone.

Have to agree with those that like their iPods. We have all the latest gadgets including iPhone6....but when it comes to exercise I still prefer my basic iPod Nano. Mine has about 2,000 pieces of music on the device, the sound quality is great, and its very light weight. I could use the iPhone for the same purpose (its easy to move music from an iPod to iPhone but the iPhone is a little too large and heavy to lug on my daily 10 miles treks. And unlike many these days, when I exercise I love being out of touch with the world and do not want a phone.

Hank

I agree that a cheap mp3 player is easy enough, you can also use it on the beach etc... without having to worry if it gets lost or damaged. If it's not really important what you listen to, I know Carnival pipes in music to the gym. I would guess other cruise lines do the same. You could check on your cruise lines' thread.

Have to agree with those that like their iPods. We have all the latest gadgets including iPhone6....but when it comes to exercise I still prefer my basic iPod Nano. Mine has about 2,000 pieces of music on the device, the sound quality is great, and its very light weight. I could use the iPhone for the same purpose (its easy to move music from an iPod to iPhone but the iPhone is a little too large and heavy to lug on my daily 10 miles treks. And unlike many these days, when I exercise I love being out of touch with the world and do not want a phone.

Hank

I agree, the 6+ is just too big/heavy to take along to jog/run/exercise, etc.

I use my IPHone 6 at the gym all the time. I have an arm band I put it in. Have no problem with sweating and it doesn't use my data. Also no extra device to bring on my cruise. I will use that on my next cruise. If you stream Spotify or any other streaming music you will pay hefty for data. You don't have to pay for music if you have CD's. simply load the music from them on to your ITunes via your computer.

I load my iPhone with audiobooks, music, and even movies. I can't just-treadmill. :)

Audiobooks are probably my favourite. I have books I only allow myself to listen to when I'm on the treadmill and sometimes I'll stay on the 'mill longer because I have to finish a chapter. :)

Just don't put your whole playlist on shuffle. DD does this in the car. Her shuffle goes something like --song, song, chapter 23, song, chapter 41, chapter 2, song etc.