What OTC Meds do you pack?

jules815

Also I don't think I have seen an anti-chafing product listed. Shorts and lots of walking tend to lead to chaffed thighs... monistat makes a chaffing powder gel that is AWESOME... I also use it like bandaid blister block.

Monistat chaffing powder gel also an excellent makeup primer, so double duty!

Antibiotics for a tummy bug? No wonder they're losing their effectiveness.

If you have a flare up of colitis or diverticulitis you need the antibiotics. It's more than just "a tummy bug".

My OTC list is pretty short & sweet:

DayQuil

NyQuil

Pepto

Glucose tablets

But then I have a list as long as my arm as far as Rx' are concerned. When packing I merely stand in front of my medicine cabinet and scoop everything into a couple gal-size ziplock bags.

Edited by Treven

Only thing I would add to the above lists is pepto bismol tablets. They work for both nausea and diarrhea, and travel in general tends to cause one or the other for me.

Dayquil / Nyquil.... On my last cruise, when just about everybody aboard was sniffling and searching the onboard shops for cold medicine, I could have sold this for some serious cash! I didn't, because I needed it myself, and my father was worse off. Just take it. Buy a whole box and put it in your luggage. If you don't need it, your neighbor probably will.

We pack many of the OTC's mentioned.

Prices on the ships are high and many times they don't even have some of the products and you can't depend on finding a drug store in every port.

Since I suffer from severe spinal stenosis, I also pack Icy Hot Patches which helps when we have to travel on buses and small boats.

What are icy hot patches and who makes them?

I bring a lot of the same things to ease common symptoms

another thing I bring is oragel. Its terrible to get a toothache especially on vacation.

I also bring Zicam. The nasal spray as well as lozenges. I wish they still made the swabs. Those things really worked.

Only thing I would add to the above lists is pepto bismol tablets. They work for both nausea and diarrhea' date=' and travel in general tends to cause one or the other for me.

Dayquil / Nyquil.... On my last cruise, when just about everybody aboard was sniffling and searching the onboard shops for cold medicine, I could have sold this for some serious cash! I didn't, because I needed it myself, and my father was worse off. Just take it. Buy a whole box and put it in your luggage. If you don't need it, your neighbor probably will.[/quote']

When I was on my Panama Canal cruise I hadn't packed my DayQuil or NyQuil - it's the tropics, who catches a cold in the tropics? Well I sure did in Costa Rica. For what the gift shop on board was charging for a two-dose blister pack, I could have bought an entire box at home. But I wasn't at home and I had to pay the going rate. I learned my lesson.

Edited by Treven

Not sure whether this is the same as cough drops or not, but I bring throat lozenges that contain a throat deadening local anaesthetic for that first stage of a cold when you get the raging sore throat.

Btw, the sea sickness medication Bonine is not available in Australia. so if you come to see our kangaroos (or our unshorn sheep), don't expect to stock up in Australia. However, it is available on most cruise ships. I have had to ask someone going to the U.S. this week to get me some for an upcoming yacht trip.

On my first cruise I had an awful throat infection, I was being treated in the infirmary for the infection but the did have anything that would sooth my sore throat. The cruise was in the Med over Easter and despite all our ports of call the were no pharmacies open. Now I always take soothing throat sweets or cough medicine with me.

Sounds like a lot on my list, but it all fits in a travel size (small) container:

Cold medication (multi-symptom)

Antihistamine (Benadryl or similar)

Immodium

Pain/Fever Reliever (Tylenol or Motrin)

Ginger Mints (we get from Trader Joe's or Fresh Market)

Band-aids of varying size

Neosporin (or similar)

Dental Emergency Repair Kit (very small)

Eyeglass Repair Kit (very small)

Nu-Skin (for blisters from walking)

Burn Gel