Rowing Machines

Oakman

Just a quick question: Are there rowing machines in the gym on the Oasis? Have started using this machine several months ago, and the results are the best I have received from any cardio machine I have used. Just want to try to continue on my cruise next week. Always go to the gym on the ships, but have never paid too much attention to the availability of rowers. Thanks.

Just a quick question: Are there rowing machines in the gym on the Oasis? Have started using this machine several months ago, and the results are the best I have received from any cardio machine I have used. Just want to try to continue on my cruise next week. Always go to the gym on the ships, but have never paid too much attention to the availability of rowers. Thanks.

For what little its worth, I noticed one Freedom this spring. I remember seeing it and recognizing the calorie burn, but my back won't allow it.

• Like 1

Been on many ships and trying to visualize the ship's gym, but can't see the rowing machine in my mind. They would be tucked into a corner I think. It has not got the huge windows like other ships, more of an inside room feel.

Surely it must have as it is a super gym and has tons of equipment!!! Great jogging/walking covered track down the steps from the gym. Scale is at the top of the steps if you are wanting to check your weight?

I can't speak specifically for Oasis, but there have been Concept II machines the RCI ships that I have sailed.

Happy to hear that. I hope they are on Anthem; my spouse is big on indoor rowing (and quite good at it!).

What she hates about rowing machines on cruise ships, though, is how badly they are maintained. Never oiled, usually in bad shape. Last cruise, she actually brought along her own little bottle of chain oil. Thank goodness it did not leak in her suitcase! :eek:

My son has had to erg daily for 6+ years. Quantum, Oasis and freedom class ships each had one for him -- and only one. One of our weeks on Qunatum, the erg was inop and in need of parts so he had to spend more time on the other machines.

His only complaints were that he sometimes had to wait for the one erg to become available and that the resistance settings were usually set on some ridiculous "row boat" high level of resistance when he got on.

• 1 year later...
Harmony has 2 row machines. Great workout.

I do believe they are Life Fitness and not Concept though.

Oh, I hope not. LF rowing machines are horrible! Belt drives, takes 10 strokes to build any leg resistance at the catch. Tractor seats. Terrible monitors. Can't use android apps like Erg Data or ErgIQ( which can link to your Garmin fitness device).

We're cruising right before the CrashB sprints season next year. Would hate to lose any speed I manage to pick up before cruising.

Yes, there is 1 Concept2 Rower on Oasis.

• 4 years later...

Old topic but I wanted to know if Enchantment of the Seas has a rowing machine.  

I was the OP and used the rowing machine regularly on Anthem of the Seas (but still put on weight surprisingly enough, HAHA).     I am now curious about Enchantment of the Seas.    Is anyone familiar with the fitness center on Enchantment that would know the answer about whether there is a rowing machine?   

I'm seeing 2013 comments in my search that say it does not.         

• 6 months later...

I saw an earlier video for Oasis which seemed to show a concept 2 machine.    Watching this more recent video the vlogger showed Life Fitness brand.   Did they get changed out?   Or it there still a concept 2 hanging around?

Oasis had older C2 machines pre-COVID.  I'm thinking they were Model Cs with PM4 monitors.  So looks like they swapped out. 

Odyssey has 2 Model Es/ PM5 set off in a separate area.  Firmware will most likely be out of date, so bring a memory stick with latest firmware and update.  If you use ErgData or Krew to log your work outs, you'll need the internet package.

Most gym rowers set the resistance handle to 10 because they don't row correctly and can't feel the "pull" in their arms (not suppose to). So do check the drag factor and set the lever to where you need it for your fitness level ( most big male Olympic rowers set it at around 140-160, most female Olympic rowers set it between 100 and 120).  Maters coaches say rowers over 50 should use a drag factor under 110).

For Lifecycle rowers, do some web research before the cruise to understand the monitors and various metrics including drag. Don't expect similar pacing as you get on a C2, algorithms are different.  And truly forget the calorie measurement on all rowers.    

• 1 month later...
On 9/12/2022 at 8:13 AM, crewsweeper said:

Oasis had older C2 machines pre-COVID.  I'm thinking they were Model Cs with PM4 monitors.  So looks like they swapped out. 

Odyssey has 2 Model Es/ PM5 set off in a separate area.  Firmware will most likely be out of date, so bring a memory stick with latest firmware and update.  If you use ErgData or Krew to log your work outs, you'll need the internet package.

Most gym rowers set the resistance handle to 10 because they don't row correctly and can't feel the "pull" in their arms (not suppose to). So do check the drag factor and set the lever to where you need it for your fitness level ( most big male Olympic rowers set it at around 140-160, most female Olympic rowers set it between 100 and 120).  Maters coaches say rowers over 50 should use a drag factor under 110).

For Lifecycle rowers, do some web research before the cruise to understand the monitors and various metrics including drag. Don't expect similar pacing as you get on a C2, algorithms are different.  And truly forget the calorie measurement on all rowers.    

Oasis of the Seas had (2) Life Fitness models Row GX as of Sept 2022

Specific models were GER-ALLLX-102