Azura - New Improved Embarkation Process

FAB1

Ventura too as I have just received an email about my cruise in 5 weeks time with a 3.30 boarding time. We will just be on in time for muster. No lunch then:mad:

I have to say that with staying in a hotel the night before then having a substantial breakfast I never want a lunch at 12 as it used to be or even 13.30. Just a drink or two.

I have to say that with staying in a hotel the night before then having a substantial breakfast I never want a lunch at 12 as it used to be or even 13.30. Just a drink or two.

I don't have an early lunch either, my first stop is for a glass/bottle of wine lol but I do like to have something to eat around 2,30 as we like a late dinner and a few glasses of wine with no food isn't good for me. A 3.30 check in time means I won't be having either, well at least not on the ship:eek:

Hi Michael,

True when you were on but the have changed in the last 3/4 cruises. Boarding does not start until 12.30 and goes on past 16.00. We have has the email for our cruise on Friday. If you have 15.30 you will get a letter for that time. If you are Caribbean + you will be first on in your slot. Only Ligurian get on early ie 12.30.[/

We are on Baltic and allocated 12.30 for our TA in October.

Ventura too as I have just received an email about my cruise in 5 weeks time with a 3.30 boarding time. We will just be on in time for muster. No lunch then:mad:

We were given 4pm - we weren't happy bunnies. Not too worried about lunch but just getting on the ship and having the time to look around before muster drill. I suppose some people aren't bothered, but for those of us who care about what time we embark it is a major issue. Keep checking the times though -- we were told 3.30pm and it changed --- to 4pm !!!:mad:

PS I gave up not commenting on this thread ;)

We were given 4pm - we weren't happy bunnies. Not too worried about lunch but just getting on the ship and having the time to look around before muster drill. I suppose some people aren't bothered, but for those of us who care about what time we embark it is a major issue. Keep checking the times though -- we were told 3.30pm and it changed --- to 4pm !!!:mad:

4 pm noooooooo:mad:

Hi Michael,

True when you were on but the have changed in the last 3/4 cruises. Boarding does not start until 12.30 and goes on past 16.00. We have has the email for our cruise on Friday. If you have 15.30 you will get a letter for that time. If you are Caribbean + you will be first on in your slot. Only Ligurian get on early ie 12.30.[/

We are on Baltic and allocated 12.30 for our TA in October.

That's cos they ran out of Ligurian's :)

I'm going to print mine as soon as it's released just in case!

Problem with a late boarding time is, as we found in August, that it is very easy to be late (as in our case when the taxi was late - thought it wasn't coming) - when we got to the terminal, the luggage 'hole' had closed - we first had to find a (the?) porter (who was busy with other latecomers when we arrived so wasn't in sight), then rush to check-in - there were 2 open and we were the last of 3 couples, so we still had to queue :p - Security was easy :) - but by now I'm very twitchy :)

Only live 20 mins away - we were last on-board:eek:

Never again - should have adhered to our original checkin time of 1pm

The night before our recent cruise on Azura we stayed in an hotel in Southampton. Come the morning some people had a taxi to the terminal at 10 am :eek: How can anyone justify arriving at the terminal at 10.30 am.

It always strikes me as being funny that a lot people complain about being given a late boarding time, but very few complain about an early boarding time. What's the big deal in getting on early so you can have a couple of drinks and a bite to eat. There is not much else to do, unless I have missed something during my 15 cruises.

Whatever PandO do, some people will always complain about boarding times.

As for walking the streets of Southampton due to checking out of a hotel at 11am and a late boarding time. I have always found hotels happy for you to sit around for a few hours while waiting to leave.

For car drivers I realise that you can be held up in traffic so you add a couple of hours to the time it should take to get to the terminal, but once you get near Southampton you could kill an hour or so at a services. Rownham on the m27 is about 30 mins from the terminals.

If everyone keeps turning up when the want to, it will only be a matter of time before boarding time are enforced.

With the best part of 3000 people boarding some sort of order has to be put in place for boarding times.

I am happy to say it's not my problem to solve :p

The night before our recent cruise on Azura we stayed in an hotel in Southampton. Come the morning some people had a taxi to the terminal at 10 am :eek: How can anyone justify arriving at the terminal at 10.30 am.

It always strikes me as being funny that a lot people complain about being given a late boarding time, but very few complain about an early boarding time. What's the big deal in getting on early so you can have a couple of drinks and a bite to eat. There is not much else to do, unless I have missed something during my 15 cruises.

As for walking the streets of Southampton due to checking out of a hotel at 11am and a late boarding time. I have always found hotels happy for you to sit around for a few hours while waiting to leave.

For car drivers I realise that you can be held up in traffic so you add a couple of hours to the time it should take to get to the terminal, but once you get near Southampton you could kill an hour or so at a services. Rownham on the m27 is about 30 mins from the terminals.

If everyone keeps turning up when the want to, it will only be a matter of time before boarding time are enforced.

With the best part of 3000 people boarding some sort of order has to be put in place for boarding times.

Could not agree more but no matter how many times we say it, the 'I will arrive whenever I choose brigade' because I am a special case (see my previous post). They will just keep ignoring as long as they think they can get away with it. Coming up with every excuse under the sun as to why they should get on before me, say, because I decided to stick to the allocated time.

Whilst I get certain things being important to people on cruises, why does getting on the ship 2/3 hours earlier, especially when nothing is happening apart from lunch make.

All you people who turn up much earlier than their allocated time and I turn up at the correct time. Who do they let on first if it's extremely busy and can't cope with the influx. I'm guessing you selfish people would gladly take my slot as you 'deserve' to be on before me because you've driven a long way, stayed in a hotel overnight, have kids or just because you think your entitled.

I seriously hope they do start enforcing it but until they do we will keep getting these excuses as to why they 'have' to get on before their allocated slot.

P&O will love you. Exactly what they want. People have paid thousands for a cruise. They have travelled hundreds of miles and yet they are told not to arrive till a certain time or we will make you wait in a cramped terminal. Royal manage it, Celebrity manage it so why can't P&O manage it. P&O have finally lost our custom if this is the future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

P&O will love you. Exactly what they want. People have paid thousands for a cruise. They have travelled hundreds of miles and yet they are told not to arrive till a certain time or we will make you wait in a cramped terminal. Royal manage it, Celebrity manage it so why can't P&O manage it. P&O have finally lost our custom if this is the future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But Kevin the rest of them will do exactly the same from April next year. I am already hearing reports of this. So Royal will do it and Celebrity. And Cunard and Princess. I cannot see why you would stop cruising with any company just because of this.

We did a short 2 day trip on Britannia the weekend of the 12th September. You were given a boarding time in advance and warned that they would adhere to the schedule. We were 1.30 and although left home (77 miles away) allowing 3 hours, we actually only pulled into the (Ocean terminal) car park at 1.30pm!! A lot of people had arrived prior to their time which resulted in the problem of there being too many people on the upper floor and hence we were held at the entrance and not allowed to go upstairs until the numbers reduced. When we did get upstairs, we were given a coloured card with a letter which signified our allotted boarding time. Since we were 'on time' we only waited ~10-15 mins for our colour and number to be called up to check in. Most of the seats were taken with people waiting and many of those had cards much later in the alphabet from those which were currently being called. We were fully prepared to sit and wait if we arrived early but this obviously is going to cause issues with too many people waiting in the departure lounge (especially if it an upper level as in the Ocean terminal), obviously an undesirable consequence of allotted bording times. I was impressed with the amount of seating available though, other departure ports we have been through have not seemed to have that amount of seating available.

PandO don't love me. But, what you are saying is that people who pay thousands for their cruise and travel hundreds of miles should be treated as a special case, turn up at any time and expect to board. That could mean 1000's of people being given special status.

Another suggestion for car drivers, by all means leave in pleanty of time to make the trip, but if you get to Southampton early, stop off at the Ocean Village to kill some time. Plenty of car parking and is just around the corner from the Ocean terminal etc.

Apart from the cruise lines enforcing boarding times, I can see Southampton council having a say on the matter. Most of the traffic jams around the terminals are caused by people going to them, the locals must love having traffic jams every weekend.

I am sorry, but there are very few valid reasons for arriving at the terminals two or three hours before check in times. After all, when flying we are told to check in three hours before our flight. How many people turn up six hours before the flight. I don't.

No one has come back to me. So, is there any way to change the time

Given for boarding on the e ticket?

I think you could phone P&O and ask whether they can change it for you. This might solve your dilemma in one go. Realistically if you have 3.30pm and turn up early they will probably give you a late alphabet letter but you will still get on but after a while. There is a tea/coffee bar that does alcohol too not sure about snacks though.

The strategy I would think about is turning up; shoving my cases through the "hole in the wall" then going off for a bit of shopping or a pub lunch. Alternatively collect your letter; look at the Letters Screen and think about how long it might be before taking a decision.

Regards John

But Kevin the rest of them will do exactly the same from April next year. I am already hearing reports of this. So Royal will do it and Celebrity. And Cunard and Princess. I cannot see why you would stop cruising with any company just because of this.

Royal Caribbean have a perfect embarkation system. You take your own photo and upload it, put your credit card in and choose a time to arrive and disembark all online before you get to the pier. Once the time slots are all used its tough, you pick another.

No priority boarding needed as we were on in ten minutes from check-in to security to walking on.

City cruise terminal also has security before you get to the waiting area, a great bonus.

This was Anthem of the Seas, 4,800 capacity.

Edited by CCFC