Help from anyone who has sailed Antarctica

fiftytoo

Am seriously thinking I'd like to sail with HAL around South America and Antarctica. I know there are no landings in Antarctica and this is the argument my friend is using not to go. Has anyone who has done this trip any words of wisdom I can use to try and convince my friend to join me? I imagine its just wonderful sailing past the icebergs etc etc.. please help... I would so appreciate it.

AHOY SHIPMATE

HAVE DONE THAT CRUISE on PRINSENDAM and Twice on AMSTERDAM on the World cruises.

You get in much closer to things on the smaller ship but both are excellent. IMO they are superior to the Alaska tours plus the PRINSENDAM is a great "little" ship.

Antarctica was one, if not the best, cruises I have ever been on. Just seeing close-ups of seals sunning themselves on the ice burgs or the scores of penguins playing made this a great cruise. It was an experience I will never forget.

So has anyone done BOTH an expedition and a "drive by" that can really weigh in with the comparison?

Looks like no one has! But it really would be up to the traveller. If it's on your bucket list to set foot on your seventh continent - then you have to do an expedition. We had to, and although we didn't overnight on the continent, as some expeditions are able to, we figure it counted!

If you are just interested in seeing the area and don't care if you set foot on Antarctica itself, then a leisurely cruise would be fabulous, as you wander around the Chilean fiords as well, I believe - which I don't think the expeditions do.

But if you do decide on an expedition, you really should/must include the Falklands and South Georgia - both were even more amazing than Antarctica for the wildlife. I'll try to post a photo.

• 1 month later...

DH and I are debating Antarctica right now, and i came across this thread... for those of you whom have done the HAL cruise, does direction matter?

ie. would you suggest the cruise that leaves from Buenos Aires, OR the one that leaves from Valparaiso? does it make a difference?

And, which side of the ship do we want to be on? i'd assume you'd want a cabin on the side that faces the antarctic circle? (sorry if these are dumb questions! just starting the research!)

Love Buenos Aires and not a big fan of Valpariso. If you plan on going in a few days early or staying a few days after the cruise, recommend you consider the extra time in BA. The views in Antarctica are 360 so it does not matter which side of the ship you are on as you will probably be out on deck!

Have a fabulous cruise - it is one of the highlights of cruising!

I have done this cruise on HAL three times, and were it not for the painfully long flights, would be planning on going again. It is that fabulous.

You have never heard silence until you've heard it in Antarctica. You have never tasted air so clean, nor seen the grandeur of creation until you have sailed the waters of the Antarctic peninsula.

The views are expansive, and change depending on the weather in a given spot at that time. You feel the moods of the continent, as if it were a living being.

If you can't talk your friend into going with you, find someone else. If you can't find someone else, then go alone. You will never be sorry.

The 2012 Grand World went to Antarctica after the Falkland Islands. So we had the close land encounters with the Penguins prior to heading South. Ruth C has summed it up perfectly. Quiet, Crisp clean air, beautiful blue ice. Everything on a grand scale. We picked up the young scientists to give them a ride to Punta Arenas. They were excited to tell us of their summer at the bottom of the world. Palmer station, if memory serves. Definitely belongs on everyone's to do list. We had a guest that is a retired scientist who had spent time in Antarctica. He was so glad to see it again.

Our experience was from BA to V. It is my opinion that the best would be the opposite. V to BA. Sailing through the Chilean fjords was wonderful. But you appreciate it much more if you had not seen Antarctica yet. In our case, the fjords were anticlimactic. I would suggest V to BA is better.

We had two rough crossings of the Drake Passage. However the cruise just before, or just after ours was quite smooth. Our sailing past Cape Horn was a bit better. Only 18 foot waves, and the ship handled that quite well.

Which side? The bow is open, and there are plenty of public decks on the side and rear of the ship. you'll be moving around as you cruise around Antarctica.

Charles

Love Buenos Aires and not a big fan of Valpariso.

Buenos Aires is more "up tempo" while Santiago is more "laid back". Think New York and San Francisco.

Crossing the Drake passage can be rough, we had waves breaking over the DR windows one night. It was NOT a very full DR!

DW was very much against ever taking this trip. However, we finally did it in 2014 and it was wonderful. The Cape was very tumultuous as we had 100mph winds per the screen on TV ... but it was a bit hilarious to us as the drawers in our room kept opening and closing as the ship would tilt to one side as the winds came horizontally on the other side of the ship. Then they would stop for a minute and the ship would right itself .. then they would push it over again .. this went on for several hours but it never seemed to be a situation that the staff couldn't handle.

The stops on both side of SA were spectacular. Ecuador was great, the Falklands were a real hoot .. and navigating across to the penguin colony for 2 hours was interesting .. with the reward of being up close to them when we arrived.

Santiago was a great place to end the cruise as we had a chance to stop in Valparaiso at Neruda's house and then at a wine vineyard on the way to Santiago. Then taking in that wonderful city was a treat unto itself.

harry

Am seriously thinking I'd like to sail with HAL around South America and Antarctica. I know there are no landings in Antarctica and this is the argument my friend is using not to go. Has anyone who has done this trip any words of wisdom I can use to try and convince my friend to join me? I imagine its just wonderful sailing past the icebergs etc etc.. please help... I would so appreciate it.

We took this trip Jan 2015 -- while there were no landings in Antarctica -- we had many scientists on board to tell us what we were seeing, as well as people on board from Antarctica. It is an experience not to be missed.

Have done the cruise by twice and plan (hope) to do it again. I took excursions to see the penguins at other places, so really did not mind not touching the ground or ice of Antarctica. The whole trip was wonderful both times, even when I was sort of sidelined with a bad cold one time which, by the way, would have kept me ship bound in any case. Frankly, I don't think I am physically able to hop in and out of zodiacs anyway. Lectures were great on both cruises (once on the Amsterdam and once on the Princendam). The whole experience is wonderful .... like Ruth says, you have never heard quiet until you are in the Antarctic.

Susan

Hi all

Not trying to hijack the thread but we are considering Antarctica on HAL. Last year (I think) there was a cruise that left from BA went around SA, to Antarctica, then up to Santiago, then continued to Mexico and San Diego. I keep searching the HAL itineraries for a similar cruise but no luck so far. Does anyone know if HAL still offers this cruise? I think the one I saw was on the Zaandam for 34 days or so.

Is it too soon for 2017 Antarctica itineraries? We would really like to go to Antarctica if we go all the way to SA, and it would be great to fly home from San Diego.

Thanks for any help

ML

Hi all

Not trying to hijack the thread but we are considering Antarctica on HAL. Last year (I think) there was a cruise that left from BA went around SA, to Antarctica, then up to Santiago, then continued to Mexico and San Diego. I keep searching the HAL itineraries for a similar cruise but no luck so far. Does anyone know if HAL still offers this cruise? I think the one I saw was on the Zaandam for 34 days or so.

Is it too soon for 2017 Antarctica itineraries? We would really like to go to Antarctica if we go all the way to SA, and it would be great to fly home from San Diego.

Thanks for any help

ML

The Zaandam sails from BA on March 20, 2016 and docks in San Diego 34 days later...

I have to say, before taking my Antarctic cruise, I sort of felt the same way as your friend, but a friend talked me into going on HAL. I figured I could always do it again later on a small excursion ship, but they were in the process of limiting the big ships, so I went ahead and booked on HAL. Afterwards, after seeing it from the bow and decks of a cruise ship, I am not sorry I opted for the larger ship, with no opportunity to actually land. I think it's less damaging to nature for us to look, vs. touch, and the higher decks allowed me to get some amazing photos. We saw all the wildlife, and slowly cruised in and out of the " bergies" for a solid 3 days, and we had everything from bright sunshine to snow.

It's a magical trip. Without sounding smarmy, I've never felt closer to God. I'd do it again in a minute!

Hi all

Thanks for any help

ML

Zaandam only does 3 Antarctic cruises per season and they all go BA to Valparaiso, or the other way around. In the end and the beginning of the South American season, Zaandam does do the longer cruise to or from San Diego, but they do not include Antarctica!

The 34 night you are looking for is still there, sailing from BA on 20th of March 2016 and goes all the way up to San Diego, but this is after the Antarctic season so it directly rounds the Cape and does not go all the way south to Antarctica.

http://nl.hollandamerica.com/ennl/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseDetails.action?webItineraryIdForAudit=S6S34W&fromSearchVacation=true&destList=SS,SN&dateCode=&flexibleMonths=false&noOfFlexibleMonths=1&portCode=&shipCodeSearch=&voyageCode=X613B

Prinsendam does a 67 day South America circumnavigation in early 2016 that does include Antarctica and does a round trip from FLL.

Edited by Alphen

I was on the same cruise as TiogaCruiser and Ruth C that went from Santiago to BA several years ago.

I can say that the only word for this cruise is Magical. The silence in Antarctic waters is something to experience. The speakers who are onboard teach you so much about the area that your appreciation for it increases exponentially. After listening to the speakers, I'm glad I didn't do a landing. I wouldn't want to have hurt this pristine area in any way.

If you do take this cruise, please consider visiting Iguazu Falls either pre or post cruise.

When anyone asks me about the cruise, I tell them that three highlights of the cruise are sailing through Antarctic waters, visiting Iguazu Falls and walking among the penguins.

The Zaandam sails from BA on March 20, 2016 and docks in San Diego 34 days later...

Zaandam only does 3 Antarctic cruises per season and they all go BA to Valparaiso, or the other way around. In the end and the beginning of the South American season, Zaandam does do the longer cruise to or from San Diego, but they do not include Antarctica!

The 34 night you are looking for is still there, sailing from BA on 20th of March 2016 and goes all the way up to San Diego, but this is after the Antarctic season so it directly rounds the Cape and does not go all the way south to Antarctica.

http://nl.hollandamerica.com/ennl/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseDetails.action?webItineraryIdForAudit=S6S34W&fromSearchVacation=true&destList=SS,SN&dateCode=&flexibleMonths=false&noOfFlexibleMonths=1&portCode=&shipCodeSearch=&voyageCode=X613B

Prinsendam does a 67 day South America circumnavigation in early 2016 that does include Antarctica and does a round trip from FLL.

Wow, i didn't realize this. Thanks both of you for the help. I'll have to go back and rethink this now...

ML