Disappointing Cabin Steward

shortstop95

I have notiiced this too and I think it is because they require the steward teams to do more cabins than before and thus there is just less time to spend on each one. Less time to get to know the guests also, etc. Same as with the main dining rooms. Less staff, more responsibility. So in essence it is another cutback. Personally I don't need to make small talk every day with my steward. I like to meet them and get to know them a little but not to the extreme. As long as they take care of the room and aren't too intrusive and give me the platinum perks that I am entitled to (which they don't always do btw) I am happy. Dont blame the stewards as they are just doing the best they can with less. It is not their fault the business model is changing. We just have to accept that this isn't the carnival of even a few years ago. It is a sad fact but looking at it, what we all get for what we pay is still a really good value for the most part.

Edited by FlyingCruiserNJ

Finally somebody got the point of the post. If you read the title- you'd get I wasn't complaining- just sharing an observation and giving specific examples. We've cruised many many times and have had good, great and bad cabin stewards before. I get that it's the luck of the draw when it comes to cabin stewards, waitstaff, etc...and don't let the small stuff impact our overall experience.

This particular encounter had me wondering if it was more a trend of the future vs just an isolated incident.

I get it. Our first cabin steward was "meh" but luckily we didn't know any better back then. :p Since then, all have been at least very good, but some have been EXCELLENT--like the one who saw my husband from the back when he was walking down the hall and ran up saying "Mr. Wil, Mr. Wil! I thought that was you and Mrs. Cherl on my list!!" and then asked if I still worked in the ER. He remembered us from a cruise several years before!! It doesn't ruin our cruise if they are great, but it does mean that the cruise isn't fantastic! The cabin steward is part of the experience.

Sure, you can turn on your own light and turn down your own bed every night. Heck I bet you could even make your own bed and find your own towels, but it's part of the experience.

I have notiiced this too and I think it is because they require the steward teams to do more cabins than before and thus there is just less time to spend on each one. Less time to get to know the guests also, etc. Same as with the main dining rooms. Less staff, more responsibility. So in essence it is another cutback. Personally I don't need to make small talk every day with my steward. I like to meet them and get to know them a little but not to the extreme. As long as they take care of the room and aren't too intrusive and give me the platinum perks that I am entitled to (which they don't always do btw) I am happy. Dont blame the stewards as they are just doing the best they can with less. It is not their fault the business model is changing. We just have to accept that this isn't the carnival of even a few years ago. It is a sad fact but looking at it, what we all get for what we pay is still a really good value for the most part.

I'm not sure that cutbacks or a different business model is totally the case. I was on the Dream two weeks ago and totally understand the OP's feelings. While the cruise was great (I can't imagine a bad cruise), I really didn't get that "special" feeling from this crew. This was my fifth cruise this year, and while I've notice some changes the service has, if anything, improved. The level of personal service was just lower on the dream. There was nothing really wrong, everything was adequate. The dream's crew just didn't go the extra mile to give a more personalized service...it felt...canned is the best word I can use to describe it. On my previous voyages, I would get that "wow" feeling when the crew would address me by name, remember my preferences or go out of their way to find out (genuinely) how my cruise was going or if I needed anything. I had debarked my previous three cruises feeling like a royal VIP passenger (even though I'm not a high roller or Platinum or anything), and the dream was just a step down from that fantasy-like feeling.

I prefer NOT to see the steward as one cruise I went on (not a Carnival ship) the steward made me feel extremely uncomfortable and continually hit on me, including asking for a hug because he was lonely. Made comments about how I looked dressed up around dinner time. Yuck. No thank you.

Wow. That is creepy.

The only truly bad steward we have had was not on Carnival. My boys' beds were in a little nook. They were bunk beds behind a curtain. Rarely did the steward make up their beds. Again, not the end of the world, but we sure weren't impressed. (That wasn't the only issue, just an example.) And I have had one mediocre steward on Carnival. Did his job, but nothing special or friendly.

OP, I am with you on this one. You pay $12pp a day for good service. Not all of it goes to the room steward but he gets his share.

As far as the lights go, that would not bother me, I do believe that when we were on the Breeze you had to have your S and S card in a slot for the lights to work even. At least, that is the ship I think it was.

I would not have been happy about the towels for your excursion and would have called the steward.

No service on the last night, I would say that he figured you hadn't complained so far so he figured he would get by with what he could.

Our last room steward on Princess left a lot to be desired. Yes he was busy but I kept having to ask for ice, or call room service. We were on a b2b and on turn around day he didn't even service our room, not once. But come the last night he left chocolates on the bed with an empty envelope.:eek::eek: Really? I left that envelope laying empty on the desk when we left. He did nothing to deserve extra.

That turnaround day thing was inexcusable imho. What was he thinking? Especially knowing you would be onboard for another week!

Unfortunately he may have thought you just forgot to put cash in the envelope so a better thing to do would have been to put a buck or 2 in it and seal it an write steward on the envelope. Lol he would have gotten the message loud and clear.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

OP, I'm with you. I understand you weren't complaining per se, just observing...

I've had so many great stewards, they really can put a positive spin on a cruise!

I think in your case being in a mini-hallway was part of the problem - not that it should be.

As to the poster who criticized that you could have pre-planned and gotten your own towels - seriously? You could also make your own bed and clean the bathroom - oh wait, you did have to do that on turnaround day ...

I think even complaining would have been justified for that :)

I'm one of those who is perfectly fine with an invisible steward. All I want is the bathroom cleaned, towels replaced IF necessary, and the bed made! Seriously.

If I want/need anything, I leave a post-it note.

I don't need to meet my cabin steward, especially on the first day when they're so very, very busy. They are my personal servant.

I'm often solo. For all I know many of the cabins my steward has to service have 3 or 4 people in them and will require a lot more work. I do hope THOSE people are tipping additionally. The mess gets exponentially worse with each additional person, especially with kids.

As for the beach towels, I've never, ever not had beach towels in my cabin daily (Carnival cruise #22 coming up). If I came back to the cabin to get ready for bed and saw there were none, I'd call the service desk THEN and not wait until the next morning when I was trying to have breakfast and get ready for a port day.

I've also never, ever seen them "passing out towels" as you left the ship.

I'll be in a spa cabin in a couple of weeks for the first time. Perhaps, since the spa cabins are supposed to be restful, they try to keep the hallway activity and the disruptions to passengers at a minimum. All part of the zen experience. ;)

As with other threads about cutbacks, I personally haven't noticed anything that was major, or so many minors things that have added up to the point that I needed to post a thread about it. Yes, things have changed. But I'm cruising for less now, in real dollars, than I did when I started in 2001. Given how the cost of everything has increased over that time period, I think it's amazing that we still get such a great cruise experience.

If people want things how they used to be, they're going to have to cough up more dollars because those things cost the cruiselines more than they used to! If you want an extremely affordable cruise, something has to give. It's simple economics, folks.

Of course. Left a message. Towel hut wasn't open yet as it was an early port of call. Again I'm not "whining". - we had a great cruise. We cruise often- so it's interesting to compare- this was an obvious change from what we are used to and just has me wondering if it was isolated to the Dream or a growing trend.

If you take the time to come here and announce to everyone you were disappointed that your bed lights were not turned on.......... you are whining.

I am the oddball lol After our very first cruise with a GREAT steward,which was just DH and I, we immediately began tipping the first day somewhere between $50-$100. Hang on - don't flip yet lol

We did that because we started taking the kids and with 4-5 crammed in a room and my kids, it can be a disaster trying to clean. I felt so bad for them especially with my kids lol I will say though, that doing that has always made them very attentive to our room. I could leave a note on what we needed and it would be there and my daughter left a note that she liked her friends and wanted to keep them so they leave the towel animals and she keeps a pile of them on her bunk (crazy kid) lolol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really. Come on I have never thought once oh gee maybe I should grab some towels just in case my steward does not bring me any.

On my cruise this summer on Pride, we never had beach towels in our room. We did bring some from home for our snorkeling excursion as I didn't want to be responsible for Carnivals towels off the ship, but every time we went to the pool, we had to get them from the towel hut.

I don't care if I see them at all and (I am not bragging here) I've been on a few where we've had our own butler and I'm not bothered if I see them either, just a quick intro will probably do with our needs and wants. I don't really want to make small talk with them, they are at work and I am on holiday and I always feel that if they are always hovering round they are just seeking more of a tip etc (just my opinion). I want to be left alone, as long as I have ice and fresh towels and my room is made up, I am not bothered! :D

OP, I'm with you. I understand you weren't complaining per se, just observing...

I've had so many great stewards, they really can put a positive spin on a cruise!

I think in your case being in a mini-hallway was part of the problem - not that it should be.

As to the poster who criticized that you could have pre-planned and gotten your own towels - seriously? You could also make your own bed and clean the bathroom - oh wait, you did have to do that on turnaround day ...

I think even complaining would have been justified for that :)

I don't see picking up my beach towels such a big deal as you people are making it out to be. Do I make a special trip to get them, no, but if I'm in the area, I do. I bring snacks to my cabin too so I don't have to search later or call room service and wait for them. I don't consider it "planning", but a matter of convenience at my fingertips.

Passengers tend to fall into two categories...those that really want the ultimate "the cruise line will cater to me" experience and those that are content with being self-sufficient and look at "cabins" more like hotel rooms, ie. a place to hang their hat. Neither category is wrong.

As others have said much of cruising is about expectations, and if expectations aren't met some will feel bitterly disappointed...and they have a right to feel that way based on much of the marketing associated with the cruise experience. Because I'm one of those who doesn't much care about being catered to I don't care about the "niceties" but, apparently, many do, and they cruise for that very reason. As cruising changes I am sure it is difficult to readjust expectations and not to comment on the changes.

I honestly can't remember a time when our steward did not introduce themselves on the first day and ask if we need anything. I like that interaction and it makes me feel pampered and cared about. Come on. These folks work for tips so usually they go above and beyond. And we always come back to the room with some light on. Usually we hang a string of Christmas lights and 99% of the time the steward will have those plugged in for us. I think you had a substandard steward doing the minimum. I'm glad it wasn't any worse or you would have had to contact the hotel manager.

When did some CC posters become so mad at people who post about an experience? The OP posted what happened and what he thought about it, no more. I personally am glad to have info about cruises and others experiences. Some (not many, but very vocal ones) seem to want to make others feel that their comments are not valid or are not "worthy"... well shame on YOU!

OP thanks for taking the time to post, I got some info from it and I have had a couple of lousy stewards, did not ruin the cruise at all but did not make it any better. A good steward can increase the "magic" and some on this thread I don't think have ever had a great steward!

When did some CC posters become so mad at people who post about an experience? The OP posted what happened and what he thought about it, no more. I personally am glad to have info about cruises and others experiences. Some (not many, but very vocal ones) seem to want to make others feel that their comments are not valid or are not "worthy"... well shame on YOU!

OP thanks for taking the time to post, I got some info from it and I have had a couple of lousy stewards, did not ruin the cruise at all but did not make it any better. A good steward can increase the "magic" and some on this thread I don't think have ever had a great steward!

Well said! Was about to post when I saw yours. The trend on this forum is if there is anything wrong with the cruise it is the Passengers fault.

I have been on three cruises, so not the most seasoned cruiser, but have had different experiences on each one.

Triumph 4 day 2014 (turned 5 day due to fog)

Our steward started out great, the first day...then never saw him. He didn't leave towel animals or anything. While we were in port, a pipe busted in our room and they moved us to a different floor, room, etc...different steward- he was amazing! Always very attentive.

Freedom, 7 day 2015

Wi (Wee) was our steward and was the absolute best ever! He went above and beyond and his tip was indicative of that! He would always say "I see Mr. Scotty, I see Ms. Alice, but I no see Mr. Jakob". I told him I no see Mr Jakob either! Mr Jakob is our 13 year old son...he had a busy week on the ship! Finally four nights into the cruise, Jake is with us heading to the room and Wi stops us to meet Mr. Jakob. Jake thought it was great to be a Mr!

Triumph July 2015 4 day

Never met him, saw him once, nice guy. Did a great job. Especially since it was 4 women, 4 tons of luggage, 4 days, and one room!!!:eek:

Sounds okay to me. Who cares if you meet stewart? There is a light switch by the door.

Quote above for truth.

The stews are overworked, underpaid & you are "OMG this an ANNOYANCE" because the lights weren't on and you had to ask for a towel?

Quote above for truth.

The stews are overworked, underpaid & you are "OMG this an ANNOYANCE" because the lights weren't on and you had to ask for a towel?

Yes, that was an annoyance for the OP... I'm sure there are lots of things that annoy you that would never even cross my mind as a problem or annoyance....

I am so sorry I have strayed from the topic.

Again thanks for the info OP, I'm sure your next steward will enhance the cruising experience! As you stated this did not hurt the overall experience, just did not make it better.

Edited by bobsfamily

Well, I am going to stray a bit.

I see people in the MDR sitting and chatting away with their wait team. I see people standing in the hall standing and chatting away with their cabin stewards.

Yes, it's nice to do this. I like to do it, too.

But I've sailed solo a lot recently and being solo, I have more time to just watch and observe. What I see is that the second these people are "released" from standing there being so very pleasant, they are practically running to catch up on what they need to do.

They are all stretched to the max now. So, just think about it. For every 5 minutes they spend standing around being pleasant and chatting is 5 minutes less they have to provide the service to someone else who is expecting to be treated royally. So you think the cabin steward should stop by and chat away and treat you like you're the only cabin they have to service, which means your neighbors are going to be short-changed and come back here and complain about how service has declined!

Perhaps we should just let them do their jobs. Smile and say Hello in the hallway and let them get on with it!

And back to what I said previously. Carnival has had to cut back. Of course they have! The price of everything has increased over the years while the cruise price itself has remained very affordable. So, yes, there are fewer crew members to do the same amount of work, yet people expect there to be no decrease in level of service they receive now compared to in the past.

You're being unreasonable about this, folks!

Just because it was a certain way before doesn't mean it's going to be a certain way tomorrow. Things change. This doesn't bother some of us in the least, especially if, like me, you're cruising mostly for the ports, not the ship experience.

If you want a certain level of luxury and pampering, you're going to have to pay more and sail on a more upscale line!

Never met my steward this past cruise. At least we got a wave from the end of the hall. I also read a recent review where that person also did not meet their steward - so, yes, I would say this is becoming a trend.

I do not understand the argument that you get what you pay for, and if you want the same service you used to get you have to pay more for it. If I received a certain standard on previous cruises, then yes, I expect at least that same level of service. Secondly, these Corporations (i.e., cruise lines) are making profits hand over foot. So it is not like they are cutting back to save money or else they will go bankrupt, they are cutting back to make more profits, so do not feel bad for being perturbed when you are not "getting what you paid for. I am sure these multi-billion dollar businesses will handle it.

Do I blame the room stewards or the wait staff? Maybe partially, since some waiters are better than other, but I will blame the Corporation (once again, who is making hundreds of millions of dollars in profits at our expense) for cutting back on employees to provide the minimal service I expect for a cruise ship.

For those that keep comparing what they get and expect on a cruise ship to what they get on land (dining room vs. restaurant, stateroom vs. hotel room, etc.), you are slowly getting what you want - a land vacation experience on a floating hotel. When will turn down service go away? When will we have to pay extra for ALL of our meals? When will 24 hour room service go away (some lines make you pay for this service overnight)? When will every activity aboard ship become an infomercial? When will . . . . . .? Well, you get my point.

When you receive exceptional service by a room steward or the wait staff it increases and enhances your overall experience (both the cruise experience and the vacation as a whole). If you have had exceptional service, then you know what I mean. If you have had average service it will not "ruin" your cruise (in fact see my latest review - link in signature below), but you do feel like something is missing.