Magic to Do - Crown Princess - 10/10/15

Working 2 Cruise

I was on the Oct 10 sailing of the Crown, and yes, they did have the platinum/elite cocktail party on 6 nights in Skywalkers from 5-7 p.m. The only notice about it was a card in the stateroom listing the drink and snacks that would be served each night.

Thanks!

Yes. It was offered on the Crown at 6:30 and 8:30. We went to the early show before dinner. I love the musical Pippin, and would have liked a little more from Godspell. Only one number that was depressing,

My mom and I were in our cabin when the power went out. I would have loved to be at the preview with all the celebrities, but we're not Elite.

Don't feel bad. I am Elite and didn't get an invitation either.

I was on the Oct 10 sailing of the Crown, and yes, they did have the platinum/elite cocktail party on 6 nights in Skywalkers from 5-7 p.m. The only notice about it was a card in the stateroom listing the drink and snacks that would be served each night.

As for the Magic to Do show, I thought it was nice, but not great. I missed the more elaborate sets, costumes, and dancing that I have seen in other shows. Some of the magic was very good, but as someone else posted, I also thought some of the magic was basic. It's definitely worth seeing, but if you miss it, I would say, don't be too upset about it. Just my opinion.

I am very disappointed to hear that celebrities were on board on October 10. I did not see any of them, or hear anything about their presence. I would have loved to meet them, as I am a huge fan of the old Love Boat TV series.

On the October 10 cruise the Magic To Do show was offered twice on Thursday night. We missed it as we were watching the Mets Dodgers Game 5. No other showings. We are not Elite, so we were not invited to the preview. We were in Horizon Court when the power failed and had problem with that.

I am very disappointed to hear that celebrities were on board on October 10. I did not see any of them, or hear anything about their presence. I would have loved to meet them, as I am a huge fan of the old Love Boat TV series.

I was on board Oct. 10, but no one seemed too impressed by that. :p The show premier was for an invitation only group of people who were not on the cruise with us. They came on separately and were sequestered from us for the most part. I think you had a better chance of getting invited if you weren't on the Oct. 10 cruise. After the show, the group got off. This is the reason we left late out of LA (that, and the power thing.) The people I know who were invited to the show say they have no idea why.

• 2 years later...

My husband and I also intensely disliked this show -- so much so, that we left in the middle of it. Something I generally would NEVER do out of courtesy. But it was just so awful. (Not the performers, per se, but the show itself). We were seated on the end, near an exit, so were able to slip out without disrupting fellow attendees.

I know a lot of people really enjoy this show, but it just wasn't for us.

The magic was...bad. I didn't realize that Leading Player was a real magician until I saw his magic show the next day. However, I LOVE THE MUSICAL!! I can never get enough of the phenomenal Stephen Schwartz and only wish that they could have put in a few more of his songs, especially For Good. I know Popular and Defying Gravity are more popular, but you have to have stunning vocalists to pull them off.

Thanks, all, for the recent posts. On a different cruise, I, too, had to leave. I, too, thought it wa creepy.

Until now, I thought I was the only person on Earth who did not like this show.

I am a regular Princess cruiser, and I usually like Princess entertainment. Thanks, all, for your recent thoughts.

I have yet to be on a ship with "Magic To Do" on it but perhaps due to having seen Pippin as one of my very early Broadway musicals, the title "Magic To Do" (the opening song in Pippin) to me suggests a musical retrospective show, not a magic show. How closely a show matches what you were expecting can make a difference in how well you like it and I suspect some people who dislike it are going in expecting a magic show, not a musical show. Maybe Princess needs to describe it better in the Patter or maybe people need to read the Patter better (although I expect all Princess "production shows" to be musical in nature with magic shows the domain of specialty performers).

And a pet peeve of mine, someone earlier mentioned when Magic To Do was "shown" on their cruise: live shows are "performed", not "shown". Movies are "shown" but every showing is identical (barring technical issues). OTOH, every live performance is unique since no matter how hard someone tries to perform perfectly as planned, there will always be slight differences.

It was more of a revue than a show, but the issue was that they added a storyline to it. Mother and father, their son, and the woman the son falls in love with. So why is the woman singing Popular to her boyfriends mom? Why are they fighting and singing Defying Gravity? Why is the father now Houdini?!?!? And where does the Leading Player fall into all of this?

I think this show could've been much better if they just performed it as either scenes from the musicals, like a sampling of Schwartz's repertoire, or as just a cabaret for the wonderful music.

Curiously, I thought it by far the best show on the cruise we were on. In case anyone's interested, the songs were as follows:

• "Magic To Do" – Pippin
  • "Before Your Very Eyes" – The Magic Show
  • "Corner of the Sky" – Pippin
  • "No Time At All" – Pippin
  • "Day By Day" – Godspell
  • "Popular" – Wicked
  • "Prestidigitation" – Reluctant Pilgrim
  • "Just Because It's Magic" – Geppetto
  • "Defying Gravity" – Wicked
  • "Beyond Belief" – Houdini
  • "It'll Be Me" – Houdini
  • "Colors of the Wind" – Pocahontas
  • "A Little Magic" – Original Song
  • "When You Believe" – Prince of Egypt

It was great to hear such unusual songs as "Prestidigitation" after a fortnight of mostly unforgettable crowd pleasers aimed at people who don't enjoy musical theatre. Sadly. many of these people are unable to spare 35 minutes of their valuable time concentrating on something they haven't seen before.

I have yet to be on a ship with "Magic To Do" on it but perhaps due to having seen Pippin as one of my very early Broadway musicals, the title "Magic To Do" (the opening song in Pippin) to me suggests a musical retrospective show, not a magic show. How closely a show matches what you were expecting can make a difference in how well you like it and I suspect some people who dislike it are going in expecting a magic show, not a musical show. Maybe Princess needs to describe it better in the Patter or maybe people need to read the Patter better (although I expect all Princess "production shows" to be musical in nature with magic shows the domain of specialty performers).

Well, we had zero expectations and still hated it-- we went because that's what our group wanted to do. Magic alone would have been a complete pass for me -- the short discription indicated it was more than that, so I was game. I just really didn't like it, and my husband (who is a professional performer) was practically begging me to leave.

Sadly. many of these people are unable to spare 35 minutes of their valuable time concentrating on something they haven't seen before.

Wow -- judgmental much?? You have no idea who was and wasn't "concentrating" and if the show was all that good, it shouldn't require much concentration -- it should grab and engage you. You are entitled to love the show, as I and others are entitled to not love it. You are right about one thing -- my limited vacation minutes are FAR too valuable to waste on watching a show that was, IMO, awful.

Dunno... I've enjoyed this show many times... It's obviously a revue with magic thrown in. I thought it was well done. Standing ovations every time I've seen it... maybe we had the "A" cast each time...

Wow -- judgmental much?? You have no idea who was and wasn't "concentrating" and if the show was all that good, it shouldn't require much concentration -- it should grab and engage you. You are entitled to love the show, as I and others are entitled to not love it. You are right about one thing -- my limited vacation minutes are FAR too valuable to waste on watching a show that was, IMO, awful.

Yes, well said. Thanks so much!

• 2 months later...

Last year, the magician who helped in Magic to do did a lounge act .The first show went great, but during the second set, he was doing a rope cutting trick and cut one of his fingers .At first, we thought it was part of the act until it soaked through the bandaid and he asked for a napkin to wrap up his hand to get to the medical center.

I guess he recovered in time for the next performance .