Is it safe to cruise on RCCL if you have fatally severe food allergies?

Thank you for the detailed feedback Anita!

Royal has a system in place to deal with food allergies.

You MUST eat in the MDR. NO other food source on ship can be considered safe.

You MUST preorder food. That is, you must place your order for all the food that you plan to eat the next day on the day before...usually during your dinner meal. You will want to establish a relationship with your wait staff and the head waiter over that staff.

Be prepared for boring, bland...BLAND food. You will get a slightly different version of the same thing day after day. Mom dealt with no soy, no eggs, and no gluten. Everyday she ate unseasoned protein (chicken, steak), a baked potato and steamed broccoli.

Considering how there is a lot of food all over the ship that will be off limits...and how the MDR isn't always open for lunch (port days) and how there are limited hours (breakfast) for when you might want to eat...and given the adjective FATAL...I would vote NO for a cruise.

If the limitations aren't a big deal...Royal does have provision for being able to take on many food items if you have allergies. I would get into contact with the Special Needs people at Royal and get their feedback.

Edited to add...if their allergies also react with inhaling the allergen? NO. DEFINITELY NO. There is food everywhere...just EVERYWHERE on a cruise ship. (I know someone with a fatal peanut/tree nut allergy that will never be able to fly anywhere because of the risk of being in an airplane.)

We were looking at some ice cream the other day, and I picked the chocolate fudge thinking it would be safe. But the label said it was made w/ the same equipment that had been exposed to tree nuts! Good grief! Don't they wash their stuff? Didn't Blue Bell have a huge product recall for months due to salmonella! Wonder if they had the same disclaimer on their labels.

LOTS of products have this label. Not just ice cream. If there are any of allergens present in the factory, companies label the products so that the consumer is aware there is a risk, however minute, of contamination. Most seafood restaurants will have a sign somewhere that says that shellfish is present. Doesn't mean they don't 'wash their stuff'. But the customer is made aware that the allergen is there and there could be a risk of contamination.

I wonder why they don't prepare ice cream in their separate kitchen? Is this all ships, or just the larger Royal ships?

On Legend, I told the waiter to rinse off the scoop between ice cream servings. I was pretty horrified that they wouldn't clean the scoop between servings, or clean the equipment. Makes me wonder how much other bad stuff gets in the food because they don't clean their equipment enough.

Now I'm really getting so high on the horse, they'll need wings!

We were looking at some ice cream the other day, and I picked the chocolate fudge thinking it would be safe. But the label said it was made w/ the same equipment that had been exposed to tree nuts! Good grief! Don't they wash their stuff? Didn't Blue Bell have a huge product recall for months due to salmonella! Wonder if they had the same disclaimer on their labels.

They do, it's more of a CYA type of thing. I know of one cookie company that has warnings even though they take the machinery apart and sterilize it in between. They still have to say it's the same equipment, because it is.

Edited by dcgrumpy

As NewSalt explained, my son has many food allergies. He is allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts and shellfish. He has been on four cruises, first when he was 14 months old. We continue to cruise because of the thorough way that they handle his allergies. The attention and care that we have received on Royal made our vacations spectacular. My son still talks about our Head Waiter on a weekly basis.

As a food allergy mom, I can tell you that eating out anywhere is terrifying and your nieces' parents need to decide how comfortable they are. I have called each time before we cruise to ensure that they have the medical capabilities to help in an emergency.

We carry several AUVI-q injectors with us which we keep in a FRIO case to keep temperature controlled. When we board, we meet with the Maître D before to make sure they have our allergies documented. We also do traditional dining so that we have the same waitstaff each night. We also only discuss our allergy needs with a Head Waiter or chef, the waiters seem anxious to help, but do not seem to fully understand our needs to the extent that the Head waiters have done.

On each cruise, our Head Waiter would meet with us to plan the meals for the next day. Every time, the Head waiter has gone above and beyond to make sure we are comfortable and our son is safe. They have also tried diligently to offer a variety of food for us, but my son is not very adventurous with food (can you blame him?) So he chose to have the basic grilled chicken, grilled steak, vegetables, fruit, French fries, and baked potatoes). They did have many more options for him, For breakfast, he had cereal, bacon, grits, oatmeal, they had safe pancakes for him but they were also gluten free and he wasn't thrilled with them.

On our last cruise, we were seated next to another family with food allergies. Our head waiter told us that he had 6 tables with allergies at the late seating. This and the many posts that I see on my allergy support group boards makes me think that cruising has become a popular choice with families with allergies because the cruise lines are so accommodating.

We are not comfortable eating in ports, so I pack juice boxes and a lot of factory sealed snacks to bring with us. I also brought some extra special desserts (chocolate chip cookies and favorite candy bars) since the milk and egg allergies can limit dessert. However,they did make jell-o in his favorite color for him each night.

We also bring our own lunch for embarkation day since the buffet is hectic and we are more comfortable this way.

Again, as a food allergy mom, I know that traveling with allergies is scary and I don't want to push your family one way or the other. I feel that cruising is a safe option for us and it is the only vacation where I have felt comfortable. It is much easier than going to a new restaurant each night and having the conversation with a different person each time, not knowing if they understand our needs and possibly having to leave.

Royal Caribbean has handled my son's allergies much better than Disney did. He has also been offered a wider variety of food than he was offered at Disney.

I would be happy to give you my email address if you or your niece's parents have any specific questions that they would like to ask.

Thank you mommyloves2cruise! I am really grateful for all the supportive people on here!

I don't want to push my sister either way, either. I'm organizing our family reunion on Harmony of the Seas next year. I would love to experience this new ship with our nieces and would love for them to experience it with the entire family as well. It would be such a great experience for everyone.

However, I would never be able to forgive myself if anything happened to the girls on the cruise. I just want to gather as much information as possible from both sides of this issue and let her make the final decision.

I really appreciate everyone's opinions and contributions! :)

I forgot to add .....

We make sure to document the allergies when we make reservations. We also contact the Special Needs department several weeks before we leave,

We make sure to buy trip insurance. I believe you need to purchase it within 30 days ( not 100% certain on the exact number) since food allergies are a pre-existing condition.

Since we mostly get the food from the MDR on the days it is open (your head waiter will make arrangements with you if the MDR is closed for lunch) we found that it was hard for our 5 year old and two year old to sit at sit down meals three times a day every day (and behave the way they should) so several days we went to get their lunch from the dining room and they ate it in the more relaxed setting of our room while we had room service and we all could relax on the balcony or watch a movie. I am sure you could do this and bring their food to the pool. Three meals a day in the MDR can take up a large part of your day.

Thank you for the additional details mommyloves2cruise! Your experience and advice are super helpful! :)

I'm somewhat curious about all the comments about the danger of being too far from a hospital.

I'm sure the OP would find it quite helpful if some of you would let her know, from your own experience, exactly what options are available in a hospital to treat an anaphylactic reaction that are not available on board.

Speaking of Legend, she probably has a problem with the chefs. While we were on her and in the Diamond lounge, another patron had specifically notified the Concierge of her shell fish allergies including the bit about cross contamination. But not once, but twice the utensils, trays and tongs that held shrimp were also used for half a plate of other finger food and she had to be taken to the clinic the second time. The chef came up there and there was a big stink. Sounds like a huge risk to me. But there are a lot of people with allergies who cruise all the time.

Are we speaking of the tongs/utensils used by guest serving themselves in the CL? If so, it is easy to imagine the to ha and utensils getting cross contaminated...in fact it is hard to imagine them not getting used for multiple items. The half trays would result in chef becoming involved, but even if trays arrived pristine, they would not remain that way for long. Concierge warned or not, there is no way I'd eat from a self-service line if I had a severe allergy....just as other suggest, limiting oneself to MDR is far safer.

The shrimp was supposed to be isolated, but instead, they had put it on the same platter with other canape's. Like half shrimp half cheese say, can't remember the exact finger foods, but when she saw that, she absolutely cringed...very upset. The second time, she didn't notice anything until she started wheezing.

The shrimp was supposed to be isolated, but instead, they had put it on the same platter with other canape's. Like half shrimp half cheese say, can't remember the exact finger foods, but when she saw that, she absolutely cringed...very upset. The second time, she didn't notice anything until she started wheezing.

I understood the half platter problem, and in no way mean to excuse it. I simply meant that if other guests were using the tongs, there was a very high risk of cross contamination even if shrimp and cheese and veggies, as examples, had been placed originally on separate platters. Just as risk of cross contamination is great in the buffet. If the allergy is severe and allergen is being served, it is just not worth the risk to eat in a self service venue on land or sea.

If the worst happened, then the medical treatment could be very expensive, and getting medical insurance could be an issue with pre existing conditions. I would look at how that might cost you more than you might think to be medivaced or something?

It sounds like a very difficult task to avoid all those foods on a ship that is trying to feed thousands. I know they do their best for special requests, but the only way you could know is to give the company a call and ask to speak to someone higher up. Not the first person on the phone.

I forgot to add .....

We make sure to document the allergies when we make reservations. We also contact the Special Needs department several weeks before we leave,

We make sure to buy trip insurance. I believe you need to purchase it within 30 days ( not 100% certain on the exact number) since food allergies are a pre-existing condition.

Since we mostly get the food from the MDR on the days it is open (your head waiter will make arrangements with you if the MDR is closed for lunch) we found that it was hard for our 5 year old and two year old to sit at sit down meals three times a day every day (and behave the way they should) so several days we went to get their lunch from the dining room and they ate it in the more relaxed setting of our room while we had room service and we all could relax on the balcony or watch a movie. I am sure you could do this and bring their food to the pool. Three meals a day in the MDR can take up a large part of your day.

Not pre existing if no treatment or prescription change in last 60 days, or whatever time specified

I'm somewhat curious about all the comments about the danger of being too far from a hospital.

I'm sure the OP would find it quite helpful if some of you would let her know, from your own experience, exactly what options are available in a hospital to treat an anaphylactic reaction that are not available on board.

You know that's a great question. It's one that's been on my mind as I'm in the process of being tested for a brand new allergy, and I'm the new owner of epipens etc (just in case). They say "if you use the epipen, then call 911", but they haven't told me what the ER will do.

Looked at medscape and mayoclinic (and skimmed others) and I see: oxygen, IV, antihistamines, epinephrine, albuterol, steroids. Just making a guess here...I would expect that the ship's medical office would have those. I would also assume that just about any hospital in the Bahamas would have them. Those are pretty basic!

You know that's a great question. It's one that's been on my mind as I'm in the process of being tested for a brand new allergy, and I'm the new owner of epipens etc (just in case). They say "if you use the epipen, then call 911", but they haven't told me what the ER will do.

Looked at medscape and mayoclinic (and skimmed others) and I see: oxygen, IV, antihistamines, epinephrine, albuterol, steroids. Just making a guess here...I would expect that the ship's medical office would have those. I would also assume that just about any hospital in the Bahamas would have them. Those are pretty basic!

If you use your epipen, it should be because you are having an allergic reaction. If you are having an allergic reaction, you should go to the ER so they can monitor you to make sure your airway isn't compromised and so that they can administer other medications to stop your allergic reaction.

Don't wait for anyone to tell you why you should go to the ER, ask questions of the medical professionals you are visiting.

I know someone that HAD 3 fatal food allergies for over 20 years Epi-pen (carried since it came out) with that person and still had to get to the hospital. Tried a natural product and

No more food allergies.

If you want to know more. Email me screen name at yahoo.

Put food allergies in the re or I will delete it.

Safe for children

Terri

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My 6 yr old granddaughter will be traveling with us in august ob Anthem for a 5 day cruise to Bermuda. My granddaughter has celiac disease and must eat Gluten Free foods.

Since we are in Bermuda for 2 days does any one know how the MDR will handle this food allergy while we are in port?

Anytime an EpiPen or Auvi Q is used, you should call 911 and go to the ER immediately. First, epinephrine might only last 15-20 minutes and a more involved medical procedure might be needed. The doctors will give steroids, and monitor to see if more first aid is needed. Plus, a biphasic reaction could occur up to three days later so they would prescribe medication for you to stay on for a period of a few days.

Also, epinephrine is very safe if it is used properly. If you accidentally inject yourself in a place other than the thigh, you could have some medical repercussions so you should still go to the ER.

Anytime an EpiPen or Auvi Q is used, you should call 911 and go to the ER immediately. First, epinephrine might only last 15-20 minutes and a more involved medical procedure might be needed. The doctors will give steroids, and monitor to see if more first aid is needed. Plus, a biphasic reaction could occur up to three days later so they would prescribe medication for you to stay on for a period of a few days.

Also, epinephrine is very safe if it is used properly. If you accidentally inject yourself in a place other than the thigh, you could have some medical repercussions so you should still go to the ER.

The epi pens last only 15-20 minutes, but they sell them in groups of two. Because it could take you mover than 20 minutes to make it to the hospital.

I tested positive for pecans, and the doctor told me years ago to avoid walnuts too, but no mention of tree nuts. But now the physician assistant without testing me wants me to avoid any tree nuts. Never had a reaction to anything but pecans, and that was minor.

Physicians in the cruise ship clinics are usually board certified ED doctors. They are not pediatricians but are trained and able to do intubations if needed. That being said, it would be very scary to me to be a day away from a hospital and take a chance on something going wrong with all the best intentions of the ship.

My 6 yr old granddaughter will be traveling with us in august ob Anthem for a 5 day cruise to Bermuda. My granddaughter has celiac disease and must eat Gluten Free foods.

Since we are in Bermuda for 2 days does any one know how the MDR will handle this food allergy while we are in port?

I have not been in a port for an extended time with Royal. On Celebrity, if the MDR was not open our Head Waiter would arrange for our safe food to be brought to us in the buffet. He would give us the name of a specific person to look for. I am sure your Head Waiter would arrange a similar accommodation for you. I have read that they used to provide box lunches, but you can only bring factory sealed snacks off of a ship so I don't think they do that anymore.

I do know someone who stayed overnight in Bermuda last summer and they were able to find a good restaurant that was accommodating to their allergies.

3 members of our family have severe shellfish allergies. We cruise.

While the buffets are strictly off limits, the MDR is quite accommodating and do their best, but we err on the side of caution. If we don't feel secure about eating in the MDR, we ask for one of our pre-order Kosher meals.

One reason we like the larger boat, like Allure, is that there are so many activities that eating takes a back seat as something to do on a cruise. We emphasize the fun things we can do and make eating a passing necessity. If members of the group want to have a pig out in the buffet day, they do so. Last cruise, while they went to pig out, the allergy group took our safe cheese, crackers and fruit to Central Park for a 'picnic'. We though it was pretty special - there was a stringed quartet playing music in central park that night.

Here area a few things we do to cruise as safely as possible:

1. Prepare an allergy emergency kit with our doctor's input, like lots of benadryl (she gives a prescription with a higher dose), multiple epi pens, etc.

2. We contact the RCCL special needs department.

2. Request a REGULAR REFRIGERATOR in your stateroom. They currently have 'cool boxes' which do not keep food cold enough for a week. We literally bring a soft cooler of sealed portions of safe groceries onboard. I bring a copy of the email to special needs and a note from my doctor indicating it is a medical necessity.

3. We contact the dining department for our ship.

4. We meet the head water on day one and go over allergy information.

5. We order Kosher meals to be available on the ship. They are processed in a specially cleaned and inspected kitchen on shore. They are tasty and guaranteed shellfish free. I don't know if they contain eggs or nuts, but you can ask.

6. We pack non-allergic foods such as individual servings of things like: Baby bel cheeses, organic applesauce, safe crackers, etc. These provide snacks and meal sometimes when we are unsure of the food offered.

7. We NEVER eat anything ashore.

I would never try to sway you one way or the other - the risk is real.

Just sharing some ways we make cruising safer for our family with severe food allergies.

Edited by Dinkachu

I tested positive for pecans, and the doctor told me years ago to avoid walnuts too, but no mention of tree nuts. But now the physician assistant without testing me wants me to avoid any tree nuts. Never had a reaction to anything but pecans, and that was minor.

Pecans and walnuts are both tree nuts. The term tree nuts is used to differentiate them from peanuts, which are legumes.

Love your screen name by the way. :D

As a Registered Nurse, I've looked into working on cruise ships.

Royal requires its nurses to have three years of Critical Care experience (emergency room, intensive care unit, etc.). This includes ACLS and PALS certification.

Cruise ship medical centers can intubate and ventilate a patient in respiratory distress, just like an ER at home.

I have two beautiful nieces who are 4 & 6. The older one has fatally high food allergy reactions to: Peanuts, Eggs, Soy, Shellfish (no lobster or crab), Tree Nuts

Her younger sister has the same level of severe food allergies to: Eggs, Shellfish (no lobster or crab), Tree Nuts

FYI, Shrimp is also in the Shellfish category. I ate shrimp for the first time in my 20s, and broke out in hives everywhere. Eyes and nose swelled shut, etc. The allergist warned me to avoid shellfish completely for the rest of my life, because a second exposure could be fatal!

I have lived with this allergy for over 50 years, and I am still fearful of accidentally being exposed. So far I have been incredibly lucky. Your nieces should also stay away from anything that might have been deep fried in the same oil as shrimp - (a common practice in many seafood restaurants).

FYI, Shrimp is also in the Shellfish category. I ate shrimp for the first time in my 20s, and broke out in hives everywhere. Eyes and nose swelled shut, etc. The allergist warned me to avoid shellfish completely for the rest of my life, because a second exposure could be fatal!

I have lived with this allergy for over 50 years, and I am still fearful of accidentally being exposed. So far I have been incredibly lucky. Your nieces should also stay away from anything that might have been deep fried in the same oil as shrimp - (a common practice in many seafood restaurants).

Thank you for the tips Grandma Petania! How did you manage on RCCL ships during lobster night in the MDR?