Silhouette with Kids? Or go RCCL with Allure?

pdcsgirl

Thoughts about this? I haven't cruised since 2007 and never with kids, so my experiences are dated. But I've always preferred Celebrity--seemed more upscale (and the food was definitely better) than the 1 RCCL that I went on in 1998.

I'm looking for a nice experience for DH and me and am a bit worried about the masses on the Allure, especially because it is Spring Break. But at the same time I don't want my kids to be bored.

So has RCCL closed the cap in terms of food and upscale feel, or should I stick with Celebrity and hope my kids can find enough to do? They will be 8 (boy) and 6 (girl).

Feeling really overwhelmed and need to book something soon.

Thanks.

When we sailed Reflection last year my daughter was 8 and my son was 7. They loved it!

We sail Silhouette next month - She's 9 and he is 8. They are very excited!!!!

It depends on your kids and what they like. If they need lots of kids and lots of stimulation - Oasis/Allure might be the way to go.

My kids like the smaller numbers on X and the greater amount of adult interaction they get in the kid's club. My son enjoyed the xbox free play too {just visited the X website to remind me of that!}.

At 6 and 8, your kids will be in the same group and kept together.

Keep in mind, there are no water slides, mini golf etc on X. My kids kept busy with books, swimming, ipads, and free time in the kid's club. They were never board or complaining about what to do. Your experience may be different.

On Royal/DCL/Carnival, my kids don't love the kid's club. We were always forcing them to go so we could get some time to ourselves. On X (and HAL) they were always begging us to go to the kid's club.

Elite + on X and Diamond + on RCI. Been on both ships within the past year. If you have never been on the Allure OTS you are in for a big treat!! Yes, it is big. However, very organized and never seemed to be crowded. There is so much more to do on the Allure. We have been on the Allure 2 times and are going back again. Food and service is not that much different. Regardless of what many say about X, the food on the Mass Market ships are all basically the same. Really no where near as it was 5 years ago. Entertainment on Allure is much better and more of it for all including kids.

Look at the videos on YouTube and get an idea of what each ship has to offer.

Pretty simple really.

If the kids are paying, unless their sedated, I'm sure they would for sure pick Allure of the Seas.

But in reality, the parents will be picking up the tab and certainly choose Silhouette. :D

Edited by ShakeDaddy

Thoughts about this? I haven't cruised since 2007 and never with kids, so my experiences are dated. But I've always preferred Celebrity--seemed more upscale (and the food was definitely better) than the 1 RCCL that I went on in 1998.

I'm looking for a nice experience for DH and me and am a bit worried about the masses on the Allure, especially because it is Spring Break. But at the same time I don't want my kids to be bored.

So has RCCL closed the cap in terms of food and upscale feel, or should I stick with Celebrity and hope my kids can find enough to do? They will be 8 (boy) and 6 (girl).

Thanks.

If the kids are the focus for the vacation, then Allure it is. If Mom & Dad are the focus, Celebrity is the way to go, and they will be fine. Celebrity does a good job with their kids programs.

We Cruised on Oasis (like Allure) just to check it out.....way more there for children and families.......but many more pax...and nothing that seemed upscale about it; and most spots felt crowded to us.

They do have a little water spray play park that kids seem to love, a carousel, characters, ice show, diving show, cotton candy, etc

. Depends on your children...spring break will mean lots of children on X...so they will have lots to do. I think Reflection or Silhouette might be a good choice for ALL!

If you have a port-intensive itinerary, then I would definitely say stick with X. The S-Class ships are beautiful and have lots to do for all ages. Our daughter (now 6) has been on Eclipse once and Summit twice. She loved, loved, loved those cruises. The food is better, as is the service. Our daughter enjoyed the kids club and the attention she got from the staff all over the ship. We took her for Allure on her first cruise and she was just another kid in the crowd. No personalized attention whatsoever and the ship just felt way too big and crowded, with nothing upscale about it.

The way I look at cruising is that we can go see a show, go on a carousel, or visit a waterpark any time we want on land. When we cruise, we are going to have family time and do things in port that we can't do at home.

My husband and I have done the past 2 spring breaks on Celebrity with our daughters. They were aged 6-8-10 on the first cruise.

Know your children and what they like and understand what both lines offer. Then figure out what will work for you and your family.

Ours liked Celebrity's kids program, going for ice cream in the afternoon, the scavenger hunts, family bingo, kids talent show, getting dressed for dinner, reading by pool, seeing food demos, playing trivia, touring the kitchen, doing karaoke, going for walks on deck, etc.

Our children prefer trying more adventuresome foods like salads, soups, escargot, frogs legs, lamb, etc).

There are definitely more activities and a higher energy level on the Allure. If the itinerary is the Eastern Caribbean for the Silhouette, there are really only two ports that you spend any time at. I would take the family on the Allure.

Thanks everyone...this is very helpful, especially just to remind me that we can't go wrong with either ship and the kids won'the miss what they have never seen! They are similar itineraries...Western Caribbean, so I will talked to DH and get his thoughts. I feel calmer now!

Thanks.

Let me start off by saying we love both. However, with kids the Allure wins hands down. We take our grandchildren on the Allure or Oasis as they love those ships and have great activities, Ice skating, great kids area even for teens, Flowrider, zipline, entertainment not to be beat (IMO). The silhouette and Reflection are our overall favorite adult ships. This winter, we are fortunate enough to be sailing on the Allure of the Seas one week with kids and grandkids, and then to relax and chill the following week on the Silhouette just the two of us!

If you really want the kids to have a ball, and you enjoy them enjoying the ship-pick RC. They will be underwhelmed by the Silhoutte unless over 18.

Edited by Cruise a holic