Anybody heard of Coconut Vacation Club?

vmcpa

We just went to a "Travel Club" presentation for Coconut Vacation Club. They wanted $8995 and $199 a year to join. The membership said you would receive discounts "up to" 65%. We can't find much info on the WWW and think it may be a bad deal, sucking in trusting travelers like us.

Has anybody heard of them? Better yet, is anyone a member?

Don't want to make a bad decision.

After you join the Travel Club I have a wonderful bridge (on the route to Key West) that is for sale. Would you be interested? And we heard that the OP won a lottery in Kenya and only have to send them $8000 so they can process his/her winning prize.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We just went to a "Travel Club" presentation for Coconut Vacation Club. They wanted $8995 and $199 a year to join. The membership said you would receive discounts "up to" 65%. We can't find much info on the WWW and think it may be a bad deal, sucking in trusting travelers like us.

You can get up to 65% off without them....sounds like you pay them and then you have to book through them. My warning lights are blindingly flashing....

I'm not an accountant but I could never grasp the concept of spending money in order to save money. $9000 dollars is a a lot of money to lay out before you even spent a dime towards your vacation. I question if the prices are inflated to make it appear that you are saving 65%. For example some of the travel agent sights that are affiliated with Cruise Critic advertise big savings from the brochure price. However, the brochure price must be from a brochure from the 80's because I have never seen such high prices listed on current cruise line websites even when the itinerary first opens.

I'm not an accountant but I could never grasp the concept of spending money in order to save money. $9000 dollars is a a lot of money to lay out before you even spent a dime towards your vacation. I question if the prices are inflated to make it appear that you are saving 65%. For example some of the travel agent sights that are affiliated with Cruise Critic advertise big savings from the brochure price. However, the brochure price must be from a brochure from the 80's because I have never seen such high prices listed on current cruise line websites even when the itinerary first opens.

Many lines currently offer "brochure prices", such as Oceania. Celebrity began marketing in this way about two years ago.

No one ever pays the brochure price (at least I hope no one has ever been scammed this way), it's just there for marketing purposes. Personally, I think it's dishonest, but it's not illegal. There are people who really think they are getting a great deal when they are shown the "BROCHURE" price, and then are offered the STANDARD (full fare) price.

"Brochure price" is usually about twice "Standard Price" which is the real full price before any promotional discounts.

For example, I purchased an A1 cabin for the EXCITING DEALS price of $1,199 per person. The STANDARD price is $1999 per person. The BROCHURE price is $3698 per person. These are Celebrity's own prices from last week.

If I wanted to get the "free" Classic beverage package added to that cruise, I would have to pay the STANDARD fare.

Edited by elena7seas

Many lines currently offer "brochure prices", such as Oceania. Celebrity began marketing in this way about two years ago.

No one ever pays the brochure price (at least I hope no one has ever been scammed this way), it's just there for marketing purposes. Personally, I think it's dishonest, but it's not illegal. There are people who really think they are getting a great deal when they are shown the "BROCHURE" price, and then are offered the STANDARD (full fare) price.

"Brochure price" is usually about twice "Standard Price" which is the real full price before any promotional discounts.

For example, I purchased an A1 cabin for the EXCITING DEALS price of $1,199 per person. The STANDARD price is $1999 per person. The BROCHURE price is $3698 per person. These are Celebrity's own prices from last week.

If I wanted to get the "free" Classic beverage package added to that cruise, I would have to pay the STANDARD fare.

Where are these brochures? I have seen price structure as in your exciting deals example but the only place that I have seen the inflated $3698 is on some TA websites. Where are they getting these brochure prices? Seems like they are just making them up. It's a big turn off for me when I get these emails that claim such large savings. It's kid of like what they do in department stores when they advertise a % off of the MSRP. I know the item never even sold for that price. I imagine that these vacation clubs operate the same way and they target those who are not price savvy or computer literate.

Do the math.

Suppose you could actually get the 65% discount which is highly unlikely.

Suppose your typical cruise fare is $2000. Applying the discount, this would cost you $700 saving you $1400.

Dividing $8000 by $1400 gives the number of cruises you'd take to break even (not counting the $199 per year).

You would have to take almost six cruises just to break even.

Is it worth it to you?

BTW, the fact that you can find little information on the web should be a red flashing danger signal.

Where are these brochures? I have seen price structure as in your exciting deals example but the only place that I have seen the inflated $3698 is on some TA websites. Where are they getting these brochure prices? Seems like they are just making them up. It's a big turn off for me when I get these emails that claim such large savings. It's kid of like what they do in department stores when they advertise a % off of the MSRP. I know the item never even sold for that price. I imagine that these vacation clubs operate the same way and they target those who are not price savvy or computer literate.

The brochure prices come from Celebrity. If you know a TA, they can give you Celebrity's "Brochure" price for any given category on any cruise. Celebrity doesn't use the "Brochure" pricing in marketing very often, although I have seen it once or twice, but any TA marketing the cruises has access to Celebrity's "Brochure" price so I suppose they can use it if they want to. I'll have to take a look at an actual Celebrity brochure and see if they are listing the "Brochure" price these days. IMHO, I think the only reason that Celebrity has a "brochure" price is that at least one of their main competitors uses "brochure" pricing quite heavily, and I think Celebrity wants to be able to have this pricing available in case they need it at some point.

There are cruise lines that use the "Brochure" consistently. I just looked up a 10 night Mediterranean cruise on one cruise line. For a concierge level balcony, the "Brochure" price is $14,969 per person, and the "promotional" price is $ 5,969 per person. And that "promotional" price is not the "sale" price, either. A family member cruised on this cruise line, same itinerary, same month, same ship last year, and she paid $2,799 per person, and she booked 8 months out. I'm sure no one has ever had to pay the brochure price when booking directly with the cruise line.

Where are these brochures? I have seen price structure as in your exciting deals example but the only place that I have seen the inflated $3698 is on some TA websites. Where are they getting these brochure prices? Seems like they are just making them up....

They are printed right in the cruise brochures that arrive in the mail almost daily.

Just an example at random: I am looking at an Oceania brochure right now that shows

Northwest Wonders San Francisco to Vancouver

10 days May 10, 2016 - Regatta

PH1 Penthouse Suite

Full Brochure Fare - 15,398

Special Offer Fare - 6,499

or

G Inside Stateroom

Full Brochure Fare - 7,998

Special Offer Fare - 2,799

They are like rack rates for hotel rooms.

Holland America's brochures use different terminology, for example

12 Day Mediterranean Romance

ms Eurodam

Verandah Stateroom

Original - 5,399

Savings Fare - 2,699

Edited by fleckle

Do the math.

Suppose you could actually get the 65% discount which is highly unlikely.

Suppose your typical cruise fare is $2000. Applying the discount, this would cost you $700 saving you $1400.

Dividing $8000 by $1400 gives the number of cruises you'd take to break even (not counting the $199 per year).

You would have to take almost six cruises just to break even.

Is it worth it to you?

BTW, the fact that you can find little information on the web should be a red flashing danger signal.

Looked at their web site, apparently not your typical time share but offer all types of vacations. Also they have been around since 1985 so not a fly by night company.

A good friend told me about a travel agency that had really good rates. I wish I hadn't contacted them since they call me every three months to see if I have reconsidered. It's impossible to get a straight price to compare but for a mere $2000, which they will finance, they promise to get you some 'really, really good deals'. They have a set script they follow, what is your typical vacation, how much do you spend, etc, etc.

I would be very leary. Smacks similar to time share promos that tout the ability to swap weeks for cruises. Only problem is, as substantiated from the experience of several friends who fell for the ploy, desired cruises in every case were cheaper to book without going through the time share operator. So much for the 65% discount baloney. 65% based on what? Just check the Cruise Critic home page for latest fare drops and you will see claimed discounts as much as 70% or more.

0yE1zabaPSRIZgBAEVXqfg