Big Announcement coming soon (Week of 10/26?)

InTheWASide

My guess is something new with the next new build that will be implemented fleet wide. Agree that Princess would likely move toward HAL. HAL brand is old and established worldwide. Princess comes from the 1970's and main claim to fame is The Love Boat.

From some recent ads, Disney has started branching into timeshare land resorts, and if I understand, cruise weeks.

Disney has been in timeshares for 24 years, and has had resorts for 44 years. They branched out into cruises in the late 1990s.

... HAL is going to be making a huge announcement in the next week or so that "promises to take Holland America Line in a bold direction where no cruise line has ever gone before".

Hmm... A bold direction where no cruise line has ever gone before? Well, cruises go forward & backward, port & starboard on water. HAL already has a land tours division for Alaska.

That only leaves up or down.

Submarines? Zeppelins? Outer space? Tardisdam? Any of those would be cool.

First they took the Rosario Strings (a Quartet) and replaced them with no name duos. So now the big announcement will be that the duo is being replaced by a very good speaker to play pre recorded music :).

Read the releases for Lincoln Center Stage.

Adults only...

Nothing new with 'adults only'.

Saga... you must be over 50 to use their product.... and you must be 50 and over to cruise with them Used to 60 but it lowered to 50. They tried on a small 'adventure' ship for 21 year olds... raised it back to 50.

Read the releases for Lincoln Center Stage.

By Golly! You have got it!!!!!

LA TRAVIATA WITH A BUCKET OF BEER FOR $50 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not a bad of idea. Might be a bucket of champagne though would be nicer.

Thanks for sharing that. While I dont think the announcement will shake up the cruise industry as it may have been rumored, I think it's a good thing. What I like about it the most is that it's keeping the personality of HAL, more "HAL". I wouldn't have been happy if it were another "us too" move, ie something along the lines of a rock climbing wall, video games, skating..some half hearted attempt to copy the other lines, homogonizing the brands even more.

This is a classic move, and I like that.

Edited by WeLoveCruising

Hmm... A bold direction where no cruise line has ever gone before? Well, cruises go forward & backward, port & starboard on water. HAL already has a land tours division for Alaska.

That only leaves up or down.

Submarines? Zeppelins? Outer space? Tardisdam? Any of those would be cool.

Tardisdam! Love it! But which Doctor should be captain????

This was announced more than seven months ago. It is not what next week's announcement will be about. They wouldn't announce something that's already been announced. ;)

This was announced more than seven months ago. It is not what next week's announcement will be about. They wouldn't announce something that's already been announced. ;)

Thank you for saying what I was thinking. ;)

For quite some time, we have seen that Princess does something, we count some months and sure enough it appears on HAL.

I wish that were true relative to Princess' policy of awarding loyalty program points in keeping with the burdensome supplement that we solos pay. I'd have been a 4-star by now if only HAL would have followed suit on that policy.

Edited by Av8rix

The reason I brought this up was in response to someone griping about the quartets onboard, then duos and now it will be recorded music... they're bringing back the classical groups...

As sppunk says, this announcement is 7 months old... :rolleyes:

I wish that were true relative to Princess' policy of awarding loyalty program points in keeping with the burdensome supplement that we solos pay. I'd have been a 4-star by now if only HAL would have followed suit on that policy.

Sure hope they do begin offering a single supplement.

Sure hope they do begin offering a single supplement.

HAL already has a single supplement :rolleyes: and most single people would like to see it eliminated ...

"Single guests who prefer not to share a stateroom may book a double stateroom for 150 to 200 percent of the double occupancy fare, depending on the cruise and stateroom category"

I find this thread quite amusing with all the speculation.

I am currently on a flight to Las Vegas and I understand that the LV Sport Books currently have odds on the change at HAL.

Current odds are 3 to 2 that HAL will not change it's name !

I find this thread quite amusing with all the speculation.

I am currently on a flight to Las Vegas and I understand that the LV Sport Books currently have odds on the change at HAL.

Current odds are 3 to 2 that HAL will not change it's name !

I would never expect HAL to change its name... **IF** they did I can't see it being more than going from Holland America LINE to Holland America CRUISES as it was decades ago... but the name has too much history to abandon and I don't see them doing anything to adjust the name of the company

However with all the talk about branding it makes me wonder if somehow or another there will be a new or updated look to some degree on the customer-facing side of things.

Maybe a whimsical new look to the ships...

27-Funnel.jpg

(obviously kidding... this is from the ferry company Silja Line in Finland)

Edited by InTheWASide

Don't kill the messenger or count on this being accurate (don't count on second hand information). My best friend has a friend who works for HAL in Seattle who said that an announcement would be made in October about no smoking. It was a general statement and I don't have any details.

No smoking, that would be great!