Big Announcement coming soon (Week of 10/26?)

InTheWASide

That would be great, even if it were capacity controlled, or limited to certain cabin categories. It would make HAL my first choice when thinking about a cruise.

Koningsdam has single rooms. They will not charge a supplement for rooms that only hold one person.

Wish... granted :)

That would be great, even if it were capacity controlled, or limited to certain cabin categories. It would make HAL my first choice when thinking about a cruise.

They can't make us all happy as I wouldn't want them to deny single rates to those of us who want a verandah. :)

Koningsdam has single rooms. They will not charge a supplement for rooms that only hold one person.

No bargains. :) FAR forward and none with verandahs. Pricing is high.

It couldn't be where northern lights AND the sports bar are. Those are on opposite sides of the ship. Not saying they won't reinvent that entire space but I can't see them building it that way

Captain Timmers on Eurodam last week at the Captain's Q&A told us that Northern Lights and Sports Bar area will be replaced with a Dueling Pianos when the Ship goes into Drydock in December. I know hard to vision but that's what he told us. Also, he mentioned the Ship will be getting an upgrade to the Internet and Interactive TV (as well as the normal new carpet, etc.). The Crew will be housed on Shore instead of on the Ship as lots of work to be done!

Edited by idiebabe

They can't make us all happy as I wouldn't want them to deny single rates to those of us who want a verandah. :)

No bargains. :) FAR forward and none with verandahs. Pricing is high.

Just because you don't consider that location a benefit or desirable doesn't mean it isn't a bargain for people that don't want to pay 200%

That's right. BUT.... no 'visitors' in the cabin after 10pm to 10 am.

Anyone breaking the rule will be charge the supplement and you HSC gets doubled!!!!!:eek:

Here's another guess!

Maybe they will do away with BB King in Queens Lounge and put Lincoln Center in there. They are adding Dueling Pianos replacing Sports Bar and Northern Lights and also bringing back a Guitar Player. Since Koningsdam will be having all of this maybe they are going to start doing it on other Ships and will be starting with the Eurodam.

Also, they are having some Chef Competition Cruises which maybe replacing DWTS???

Good one, Justin!!!! How the heck are you?

Cheers, Denise

Very well, thank you! It's been a while since I saw that user name pop up...not around the old camera forums anymore? I'm still occasionally over on the Sony board there, and still here at Cruise Critic. Headed off on my next cruise in a bit over a week on the Westerdam...looking forward to it...especially if they haven't implemented the rowing yet!

Greenest and leanest! :D

Yep - no need to join the fitness/spa programs - all the fitness you'll need onboard to work off the food. And everyone gets a free luggage tag at the end of the cruise.

Here's another guess!

Maybe they will do away with BB King in Queens Lounge and put Lincoln Center in there. They are adding Dueling Pianos replacing Sports Bar and Northern Lights and also bringing back a Guitar Player. Since Koningsdam will be having all of this maybe they are going to start doing it on other Ships and will be starting with the Eurodam.

Also, they are having some Chef Competition Cruises which maybe replacing DWTS???

I've been under the impression that Explorers Lounge would likely "evolve" into Lincoln Center Stage

That's true but......they're tiny, they're down in steerage, and they appear to be snugged up against the spaces that house the winches for the hawsers and anchor chains.

You're never gonna catch me on an enormodam anyway. But that's just my own preference :).

If HAL is anything like other lines that have introduced single cabins, the fare for a single room will be surprisingly close to the total for two people in a multiple occupancy cabin of the same class.

If HAL is anything like other lines that have introduced single cabins, the fare for a single room will be surprisingly close to the total for two people in a multiple occupancy cabin of the same class.

Just took a look at the (NCL) Epic, as she's going to be sailing from Pt. Canaveral next winter. Their studios are running $300 more (~$800 vs. $1,100) than an inside for solo guests for a 7 night cruise. Their solo cabins are really something else - very innovative, my son sailed in one a few years ago while we were in the Haven.

Tom

That's true but......they're tiny, they're down in steerage, and they appear to be snugged up against the spaces that house the winches for the hawsers and anchor chains.

You're never gonna catch me on an enormodam anyway. But that's just my own preference :).

Thank you for making my point much better than I was even going to attempt to do. :)

All you say is true and accurate and I agree.

HAL so magnanimously provided single cabins in about the worst useless space they could find and the prices are certainly no bargain. I hope I never land in one of those cabins. :eek:

Edited by sail7seas

Thank you for making my point much better than I was even going to attempt to do. :)

All you say is true and accurate and I agree.

HAL so magnanimously provided single cabins in about the worst useless space they could find and the prices are certainly no bargain. I hope I never land in one of those cabins. :eek:

Somehow I don't think you will :D

It's too bad because had they made them the least appealing, I might have been interested. I don't need a lot of space now but no space at all is better than being stuck in that location. I certainly could be wrong but I expect it will be a very rough ride, loud, anchor chain noise and who knows what else. For the prices they are charging, doesn't seem a 'good buy'.

You are likely right I won't be found in one. :D

Edited by sail7seas

The new Saga ship....

550 all balcony cabins.... 56 of them are singles. 'standard cabins'

They are located over four decks.... and are midships next to the deluxe suites. 14 of them on each deck. They are marginally smaller than the standard balcony cabins... about 10%.

Here is a rendering of the 'standard cabins'. Obviously sing bed.... the rest of the cabin would be the same.

This should be the standard on every ship.

407707834_Artist-impression-Standard-cabin.jpgSAGANEWBUILD.jpg.7cc2f5d596f36f30c2fef64e3d9492b6.jpg

Here's another guess!

That sounds great

The new Saga ship....

550 all balcony cabins.... 56 of them are singles. 'standard cabins'

They are located over four decks.... and are midships next to the deluxe suites. 14 of them on each deck. They are marginally smaller than the standard balcony cabins... about 10%.

Here is a rendering of the 'standard cabins'. Obviously sing bed.... the rest of the cabin would be the same.

This should be the standard on every ship.

How does the price compare to the price of a double? The comment broberts made about pricing seems to hold for many cruise lines. Cunard had singles on QE2 and Caronia, and are now adding singles, already done on one Vista and will be done next year on QM2. But I remember the cost of singles on QE2, and they were not half the cost of a comparable double. So the "single supplement" was built into the price.

True. Not prime location. But from a business standpoint you expect HAL to shortchange what they can get for "prime real estate"?

I can't speculate why HAL decided to position the solo cabins in the least desirable location. When deciding on a cruise, HAL just isn't as 'solo friendly' as some of the other cruise lines. Even so, I plan to book the Koningsdam soon (just not in a studio) for one of the 2016 southern Caribbean cruises to experience the new ship. They wouldn't otherwise be my first choice as a solo.

Edited by SteelMagnolia9

As a solo traveler on many cruiselines over many years, I don't find HAL to be much better or worse than other mass market lines for solos. On the plus side, HAL crew and staff always seem pleasantly attuned to ensuring solos get noticed and served at bars, seated with others at dinner, etc.

There are pluses and minuses to solo cabins. People have asked for them so ships are beginning to provide them. But chances are good they will still be more expensive than the equivalent category "half of double" rate.

Smaller ships and lines seem to do a slightly better job of catering to solos. It is kind of ironic that I can sail on lines that are more upscale (due to lower or no single supplements) for nearly the same cost as on the mass market lines -- an exception being Oceania which rarely has solo-friendly pricing.

At any rate, I'm sure HAL will have no problem filling the few Koningsdam single cabins.

As a solo traveler on many cruiselines over many years, I don't find HAL to be much better or worse than other mass market lines for solos. On the plus side, HAL crew and staff always seem pleasantly attuned to ensuring solos get noticed and served at bars, seated with others at dinner, etc.

There are pluses and minuses to solo cabins. People have asked for them so ships are beginning to provide them. But chances are good they will still be more expensive than the equivalent category "half of double" rate.

Smaller ships and lines seem to do a slightly better job of catering to solos. It is kind of ironic that I can sail on lines that are more upscale (due to lower or no single supplements) for nearly the same cost as on the mass market lines -- an exception being Oceania which rarely has solo-friendly pricing.

At any rate, I'm sure HAL will have no problem filling the few Koningsdam single cabins.

Thanks for a well-rounded thought process that you shared on the topic.

I don't travel solo so I'm sure my comments can come across not too far from "well you have SOMETHING so deal with it" but at the same time, the majority of those that ganged up on my comment in previous posts are on the other end of the spectrum, not too far from "but I expect the world and perfectly midship and the best locations and for it to be an identical price to lowest possible inside rate at the same time with no supplement" and that if precisely that doesn't get offered they almost seem to take offense to it... and that part truly baffles me... Not thrilled with a location/option...fine. Entitled to your own opinion... but those actually acting offended... REALLY?!

Your feedback I think helps to put everything into perspective. HAL is not setting out to target the solo traveler market so they don't really have an incentive or need to build huge unique complexes like the studios on newer Norwegian ships with special lounges, etc.

The fact they are offering anything, anywhere shows they are listening to feedback that guests and cruisers in general are giving. And for those that it works for great.

For those that it doesn't, there are 1300+ other rooms on Koningsdam.

And if none of THOSE work then Koningsdam clearly isn't the ship for that potential cruiser. :D

Edited by InTheWASide