Empress Returning to RCCL?

Piepkorn

So in Spring 2016 the Majesty of the Seas is no longer leaving the fleet, the Empress of the Seas is returning to the fleet, the Ovation of the Seas is being delivered and the Harmony of the Seas is being delivered. That is going to be a big season for Royal Caribbean and without a doubt a record setting jump in capacity for them if not any line for such a short period. Considering the ships they were shedding were to help balance new builds I wonder how this could effect fleet wide capacity and pricing.

So in Spring 2016 the Majesty of the Seas is no longer leaving the fleet, the Empress of the Seas is returning to the fleet, the Ovation of the Seas is being delivered and the Harmony of the Seas is being delivered. That is going to be a big season for Royal Caribbean and without a doubt a record setting jump in capacity for them if not any line for such a short period. Considering the ships they were shedding were to help balance new builds I wonder how this could effect fleet wide capacity and pricing.

I think Splendour goes away during that cycle

The financial quarterly report just issued for RCL the holding company of RCI shows capacity figures across the entire company and not by cruise line.

While the Empress situation might have been discussed in the conference call, I can not find it included in the written report. I am thinking capacity must include even TUI where RCL own just 50%, but am unsure.

They state the following:

CAPITAL EXPENDITURES AND CAPACITY GUIDANCE

Based upon current ship orders, projected capital expenditures for full year 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019 are $1.6 billion, $2.3 billion, $0.5 billion, $2.4 billion and $1.3 billion, respectively.

Capacity increases for 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019 are expected to be 5.4%, 6.4%, 3.4%, 3.7% and 6.6%, respectively. These figures do not include potential ship sales or additions that we may elect to make in the future.

I think Splendour goes away during that cycle

Splendour remains in the RCL fleet in one way as TUI Cruises is the owner and they will in turn lease the ship to Thomson Cruises. Splendour certainly leaves the RCI fleet, though.

All of the ships now are actually held by separate companies held by RCL.

Splendor is currently owned by Splendor of the Seas, Inc. and Managed by RCL and operated by RCI.

It will be interesting to check how this register changes after May of 2016.

https://exchange.dnv.com/Exchange/Main.aspx?EXTool=Vessel&VesselID=18426

Edited by MADflyer

I cannot confirm, but according to a certain blog, it was specifically mentioned that her name will be changed back to "Empress of the Seas". Assuming that that statement came from someone at Royal Caribbean Corp, it would confirm that she is returning to Royal Caribbean International.

Ok. I did listen to the podcast. It was unclear as the CFO quoted works for RCL and reports for all the lines together.

He did state that she will certainly return to RCI and will change name to Empress of the Seas at minute 13 of the podcast.

He stated in the next sentence stating that the only growth areas for capacity would be the Caribbean where bookings were strongest and in Europe where yields were reaching record levels, but that capacity would remain 'about the same'

Splendour remains in the RCL fleet in one way as TUI Cruises is the owner and they will in turn lease the ship to Thomson Cruises. Splendour certainly leaves the RCI fleet, though.

All of the ships now are actually held by separate companies held by RCL.

Splendor is currently owned by Splendor of the Seas, Inc. and Managed by RCL and operated by RCI.

It will be interesting to check how this register changes after May of 2016.

https://exchange.dnv.com/Exchange/Main.aspx?EXTool=Vessel&VesselID=18426

TUI Group, the new owner of Splendor, Is not owned by RCI. RCI holds just a share of TUI Cruises that is a German jointventure with TUI Group. Thomson Cruises belongs to TUI Group but not to TUI Cruises (until now).

TUI Group, the new owner of Splendor, Is not owned by RCI. RCI holds just a share of TUI Cruises that is a German jointventure with TUI Group. Thomson Cruises belongs to TUI Group but not to TUI Cruises (until now).

Actually TUI Cruises is a Joint venture between RCCL and TUI. RCI has nothing to do with it at all.

AWESOME! Empress was a great little ship! I'd do her again in a heartbeat....went to Bermuda out of Norfolk - speaking of that, I wonder why RCL dumped Norfolk as a cruise port?

Fingers crossed on an Empress comeback. :)

I would love to see Empress homeport in Norfolk to sail to Bermuda and the Bahamas. Norfolk built a lovely new terminal a few years ago and sorely needs a ship.

Yes. TUI Group is quite complicated due to previous mergers, but I think they have now merged the UK and German companies and that while TUI group does own Thomson Cruises in it's entirety, RCL owns exactly 50% of the joint venture TUI Cruises and they also operate and manage the ships and RCL even is responsible for the TUI Cruses new builds.

Splendour was sold to TUI Cruises and not TUI Group as I have understood. TUI Cruises is leasing the ship to Thomson Cruises. Thus, the 50% remaining ownership of Discovery by RCL.

Fingers crossed on an Empress comeback. :)

I would love to see Empress homeport in Norfolk to sail to Bermuda and the Bahamas. Norfolk built a lovely new terminal a few years ago and sorely needs a ship.

I am thinking along the same lines.

Carnival just went back into the empty terminal that Mobile built last week and I would think RCI could consider that option as well. They could maybe even get Empress in there prior to the Carnival ship.

RCI could also return to NOLA, but I would not think that would be likely with Empress.

Mobile has had a recent campaign where they were trying to point out to the cruise operators that they offer the best option for short sailings to Cuba from the US. I have no idea what the reception by the cruise industry has been.

A small old ship with no balconies whatsoever ... sure ... hey I have a great idea

Why bother to re-position the old Majesty into Port Canaveral after all?! Send Empress instead .. who cares about a nice ship for the 3/4 day cruises ... its only "Port Canaveral", after all ..

(this is my prediction of what will happen).

Yes. TUI Group is quite complicated due to previous mergers, but I think they have now merged the UK and German companies and that while TUI group does own Thomson Cruises in it's entirety, RCL owns exactly 50% of the joint venture TUI Cruises and they also operate and manage the ships and RCL even is responsible for the TUI Cruses new builds.

Splendour was sold to TUI Cruises and not TUI Group as I have understood. TUI Cruises is leasing the ship to Thomson Cruises. Thus, the 50% remaining ownership of Discovery by RCL.

You are absolutely right but until now RCL's shares and management responsibilty have been limited to the German TUI Cruises ships. I believe this will not change. Thompson ships have always been operated by Columbia Shipmanagement and are still owned by former Louis Cruises and HAL.

Carnival just went back into the empty terminal that Mobile built last week and I would think RCI could consider that option as well. They could maybe even get Empress in there prior to the Carnival ship.

Ok, now you are talking :) 5 hour drive for me! By far the closest port. If that happened, I would definitely rethink Empress for a cruise and just deal with the very small amount of accessible cabin availability. Ive been wishing for a RC ship in Mobile for about 6 years now. Im not holding my breath though :o

You are absolutely right but until now RCL's shares and management responsibilty have been limited to the German TUI Cruises ships. I believe this will not change. Thompson ships have always been operated by Columbia Shipmanagement and are still owned by former Louis Cruises and HAL.

Yes. I do not believe there is any management agreement for ship operations for the Thomson Discovery.

As Thomson was a part of TUI PLC and TUI Cruises was a part of the German company it would be interesting to know if anything could change now that the UK and German TUI companies have merged into one TUI Group.

We just dug out the Nordic Empress catalog from 1990.

Some prices for 3-nights:

Cat A Owners Suite Value Season $1075 Peak $1105

Cat C Deluxe Outside with Balcony Value Season $975 Peak $1005

Cat I Standard Outside B Deck Value Season $735 Peek $765

Cat Q Deck B Inside Value Season $495 Peak $530

We did a 3 day out of San Juan in 1998 and it was lots of fun.

I don't know how they can improve it to fit today's market but I will be watching.

A small old ship with no balconies whatsoever ... sure ... hey I have a great idea

Why bother to re-position the old Majesty into Port Canaveral after all?! Send Empress instead .. who cares about a nice ship for the 3/4 day cruises ... its only "Port Canaveral", after all ..

(this is my prediction of what will happen).

I don't know what ship you're talking about, but Empress most assuredly has balconies.

We just dug out the Nordic Empress catalog from 1990.

Some prices for 3-nights:

Cat A Owners Suite Value Season $1075 Peak $1105

Cat C Deluxe Outside with Balcony Value Season $975 Peak $1005

Cat I Standard Outside B Deck Value Season $735 Peek $765

Cat Q Deck B Inside Value Season $495 Peak $530

We did a 3 day out of San Juan in 1998 and it was lots of fun.

I don't know how they can improve it to fit today's market but I will be watching.

I miss that they don't have prices listed in the brochures anymore. :(

After sailing FOS and an upcoming cruise on NCL Escape, the small "old'" ships definitely have my attention. I would really like to try one. We probably won't spend the money for a Crystal/SilverSea type experience so this would be perfect. It's amazing to see what has evolved in the past 20-25 years with these ships.