HAL's new partnerships, upgrades, branding initiative

InTheWASide

I just want to know if I won a prize. Where's Captain Card?

You just won one glass od Asti Spumante!:eek:

The logo was first suggested in 1937 by famous French poster artist Mouron Cassandre. He did a large poster for HAL showing the bow of the Nieuw Amsterdam II. It showed a small yacht sail in the foreground.

The Cassandre poster was then into the Nw AMSTERDAM II bow and in front the Halve Maen. The resperesented the Nw AMSTERDAM and Hendrik Hudson.... the joining of Holland and America. It first appeared in 1938. Never intended as logo on a funnel. It was used as HAL paperwork, brochures, deck plans etc. Used in many different colours... depending what the purpose of the paperwork. Some times used in green and black.

Also show the logo in full colour made into a set of majolica tiles. ( by self... displayed on NOORDAM - I think!)

Fast forward.... HAL's funnel.... buff with the green/white/green was changed in 1972 to a new logo.... three 'snails' green/blue, white and green'blue on an orange background. In 1983... two new ships were on line... Nw AMSTERDAM and NOORDAM. All white funnels with the three snails in dark blue. It was not popular so the Nw A/Halve Maen logo came out of the drawer and was put on the funnels in the fleet from that time.

The new logo does not really suggest anything... other than just the bow of ship... not Nw AMSTERDAM, nothing to do with Halve Mean, nothing to do with Holland or America or Manhattan (New York). In 1997 Premier Cruises tried to copy the logo.... white on dark blue funnel.. different style. Dreadful!

Does the new logo make any difference? No. Just lost a bit of history. Is that bit of history matter to anyone? Well, how about changing that old flag used for the USA. What... a blue patch with too many stars? Red and white stripes? That is just old nonsense from a colonial era. A new flag could designed better. It is too fussy and can't really be read... all that stars.... how many are there? Do I need to go?

1592835725_MouronCassandreHALlogo.jpg.13e71f7ea0f074637c6fe9012fa5ca65.jpg

1689464622_HALLOGONOTEXT.jpg.a27afb367d5a16699572a764d1960084.jpg

928865991_HALLOGOINMAJOLICA.jpg.607964ae0049339a76bc8d4a36650de4.jpg

+1 New logo is a big improvement and will save on cost down the road to boot. It's a good change. I don't mind the typeface too much, though I would've preferred Railway or even Utopia Semibold.

I don't know Railway, but Utopia is a great face, and super practical. However, it feels (to me) comfortable and safe. It would still be an improvement on the current face, but only a little. It seems to me that HAL is trying to bridge the classic history of the line with a new and fresh feeling. They're doing a pretty great job with the new part of it, but the classic part doesn't evoke much of anything.

What they want is something that evokes class, charm and nostalgia. So a face that's not hip, not conventional, but warm and old-school, preferably from the golden age of cruise ship travel. Something like Goudy Old Style, which was created in 1915, would be a good start. It has a bit of calligraphic swash on the upper-case L and lower-case c and e. The lower-case i has a sort of lozenge shape for the dot. It's slightly artsy without being obvious about it.

Bernhard Modern would also be an interesting choice. Perhaps a little too calligraphic for a straight serif face, but it still evokes that time period. It was created in 1937, so it has that pre-war kind of spirit.

Heck, some version of Garamond would be a good choice. It was Apple's logo font for years, but I don't know why it would be bad to remind people of Apple.

Ultimately, the message that the current face gives me is, "we got this font free with the computer." :)

You just won one glass od Asti Spumante!:eek:

The logo was first suggested in 1937 by famous French poster artist Mouron Cassandre. He did a large poster for HAL showing the bow of the Nieuw Amsterdam II. It showed a small yacht sail in the foreground.

The Cassandre poster was then into the Nw AMSTERDAM II bow and in front the Halve Maen. The resperesented the Nw AMSTERDAM and Hendrik Hudson.... the joining of Holland and America. It first appeared in 1938. Never intended as logo on a funnel. It was used as HAL paperwork, brochures, deck plans etc. Used in many different colours... depending what the purpose of the paperwork. Some times used in green and black.

Also show the logo in full colour made into a set of majolica tiles. ( by self... displayed on NOORDAM - I think!)

Fast forward.... HAL's funnel.... buff with the green/white/green was changed in 1972 to a new logo.... three 'snails' green/blue, white and green'blue on an orange background. In 1983... two new ships were on line... Nw AMSTERDAM and NOORDAM. All white funnels with the three snails in dark blue. It was not popular so the Nw A/Halve Maen logo came out of the drawer and was put on the funnels in the fleet from that time.

The new logo does not really suggest anything... other than just the bow of ship... not Nw AMSTERDAM, nothing to do with Halve Mean, nothing to do with Holland or America or Manhattan (New York). In 1997 Premier Cruises tried to copy the logo.... white on dark blue funnel.. different style. Dreadful!

Does the new logo make any difference? No. Just lost a bit of history. Is that bit of history matter to anyone? Well, how about changing that old flag used for the USA. What... a blue patch with too many stars? Red and white stripes? That is just old nonsense from a colonial era. A new flag could designed better. It is too fussy and can't really be read... all that stars.... how many are there? Do I need to go?

Well said. I too think it's a shame to replace the existing logo with what they've now trotted out. It would have been better to have gone to something completely new than to ruin a perfectly good logo by making changes.

Well said. I too think it's a shame to replace the existing logo with what they've now trotted out. It would have been better to have gone to something completely new than to ruin a perfectly good logo by making changes.

They did also say the logo was EVOlutionary... not REVOlutionay... That normally indicates more subtle changes :rolleyes:

Edited by InTheWASide

Heck, some version of Garamond would be a good choice. It was Apple's logo font for years, but I don't know why it would be bad to remind people of Apple.

Actually looking at it again, they may be using some form of Garamond; there are a lot of variations out there. Whatever it is, it's too conventional to my eye. But it does the job. It's not awful.

For grins, here's Goudy Old Style (Monotype) Semibold:

HAL%20Goudy%20Old%20Style_zps9u7doyzg.png

And here's Bernhard Modern (Bitstream):

HAL%20Bernhard%20Modern_zpsiozkmqer.png

I love the feel of these faces.

I do too. I respect their tradition, but dremoving the Half Moon from the logo makes it look better, in my opinion.

QUOTE]

Question....

This logo goes back 80 years... and as a funnel emblem for 30 years.

How many time have anyone ever said... "Get rid of that old logo." or "Change it remove the Halve Maen." or "Make it more simple."

How many people will ever say... "Golly. I love that cruise. I must cruise on that ship!"

How many people will even know that that new logo is for Holland America Line?

As was already discussed upstream, the unfortunate thing about these presentations is that people have already let their imaginations run wild expecting HUGE changes to be announced....

Personally, I thought most of the additions sound nice -- the music/entertainment enhancements, the culinary experience (I hope) and the travel planning aids -- and will be a good complement to HAL's existing brand. In other words, they are not trying to reinvent what HAL is, which should make the loyalists happy, at least....

You are absolutely correct! Speculation has been running ramped on this thread to the point that maybe people thought HAL might be presenting the next best thing since the presentation of "sliced bread".

Technical issues can happen and for me it did not deter from the presentation. It did not deter from the information I gleaned and we will see if these partnerships provide any benefits to us directly. If they spent weeks "rehearsing" that would only cost more money and really is not needed if the information is presented in a clear proper manner.

I have no problem with the new logo and statement. I actually think the new logo looks sleek and more modern.

I do too. I respect their tradition, but dremoving the Half Moon from the logo makes it look better, in my opinion.

QUOTE]

Question....

This logo goes back 80 years... and as a funnel emblem for 30 years.

How many time have anyone ever said... "Get rid of that old logo." or "Change it remove the Halve Maen." or "Make it more simple."

How many people will ever say... "Golly. I love that cruise. I must cruise on that ship!"

How many people will even know that that new logo is for Holland America Line?

Technical issues can happen and for me it did not deter from the presentation. It did not deter from the information I gleaned and we will see if these partnerships provide any benefits to us directly. If they spent weeks "rehearsing" that would only cost more money and really is not needed if the information is presented in a clear proper manner.

If a company is "sloppy" or "negligent" in one area of their daily business activities, this inevitably carries over to other areas of the business. If Mr. Ashford is satisfied with the way this presentation was set up , the script he was handed to read and deliver, and the overall image portrayed of his company by this totally inept and amateurish show and tell, then I have to agree he may not be around very long.

+1 New logo is a big improvement and will save on cost down the road to boot. It's a good change. .

How will it save money? There are 20 funnels to deal with.... one on each side.... 40 logos that have to be removed.

Some are steel and welded in outline. Some are embossed on fiberglass. None of it is a simple paint job.

Funnels... probably up to a million or more. Never mind all of the other that have to do. Like the words Holland America Line on each side of the hulls. Remove lettering and put NEW font on the ships... even the KONINGSDAM is already painted. What about the names of the ships on the bows and sterns and on the topside of the superstructure? All of that would need changing... or will look odd with mismatched fonts. Better add on a few more millions!

Before we all get too carried away about the logo and font, did anyone ever say "Ooh, I love that logo (font) - I want to sail on THEIR ships!"

I'll bet it has! If you see a HAL ship in port and the you see a NCL ship... I bet people have said... "I sure DON'T want to see on THAT thing!"

If a company is "sloppy" or "negligent" in one area of their daily business activities, this inevitably carries over to other areas of the business. If Mr. Ashford is satisfied with the way this presentation was set up , the script he was handed to read and deliver, and the overall image portrayed of his company by this totally inept and amateurish show and tell, then I have to agree he may not be around very long.

I concur. Ashford is the leader and face of the company. He looked awful, I can't emphasize that enough. Bad, terrible, unready. He stared at notes the entire time, froze when the IT failed, and seemed disinterested and distant. His refusal to actual look at the audience was frankly weird and off-putting. I have coached public speaking, I'd use this as a "don't do this" video honestly.

That sends a terrible message to a customer that the company fails to prepare.

How will it save money? There are 20 funnels to deal with.... one on each side.... 40 logos that have to be removed.

Some are steel and welded in outline. Some are embossed on fiberglass. None of it is a simple paint job.

Funnels... probably up to a million or more. Never mind all of the other that have to do. Like the words Holland America Line on each side of the hulls. Remove lettering and put NEW font on the ships... even the KONINGSDAM is already painted. What about the names of the ships on the bows and sterns and on the topside of the superstructure? All of that would need changing... or will look odd with mismatched fonts. Better add on a few more millions!

I doubt they swap funnel logos. And the names painted iirc don't match the current font. Hard to do that. :)

If they phase it in, cost is mitigated. We did this for a very large media company in the NE here over three years.

I'll bet it has! If you see a HAL ship in port and the you see a NCL ship... I bet people have said... "I sure DON'T want to see on THAT thing!"

HAL could be viewed as stuffy in the same way that NCL could be viewed as tacky.

It's personal opinion.

I think the NCL hulls look great but realize it isn't "for everybody"

I concur. Ashford is the leader and face of the company. He looked awful, I can't emphasize that enough. Bad, terrible, unready. He stared at notes the entire time, froze when the IT failed, and seemed disinterested and distant. His refusal to actual look at the audience was frankly weird and off-putting. I have coached public speaking, I'd use this as a "don't do this" video honestly.

That sends a terrible message to a customer that the company fails to prepare.

To me it looked like this was the first time he had heard about the meeting and certainly couldn't have seen the notes before hand. His appearance showed a lack of preparation, almost like it was casual day at the office and he happened to have a sport coat in the trunk of his car.

The "new font" as-is wouldn't justify any changes... it's minimal enough

Some funnels may be easier than others. Close-ups on Koningsdam's funnel show it is literally nothing more than painted on. It's a totally smooth surface. Others, yes, will be more of a challenge. My contacts at the HAL HQ have told me the plan is to add the new logos to the funnels in dry docks.

But think about it this way. For HAL it's a minimal change to the funnel. Think about the changes to P&O in the UK. New colors of funnels and new paint on the bows... that's a lot more involved of a project and a huge change to each ship's look but they are doing them at regularly scheduled dry docks... HAL won't have to worry about their fleet looking even a fraction as "inconsistent" while that is being done.