HAL's new partnerships, upgrades, branding initiative

InTheWASide

And the press release section on the HAL website still says TBD. No new press release posted. Maybe they are still thinking about what to say?

The TBD thing is just WEIRD... but I'm thinking they simply didn't have the releases updated to the website instantaneously... :rolleyes:

Having to sit through and then giving these types of presentations for close to 27 yrs of my 34 yr career, I felt so sorry for the speakers.

With that said, I have used Utrip for two Europe trips and found that their website was very interactive with up to date information from transportations, restaurants, local attractions and one of a kind tour or visitor "experiences". I would think that HAL will tie into this and allow you to book through their system for a seamless excursion/ payment type system. Of course for this convineance HAL will gain some additional revenue. Not a bad thing if that happens and the upcharge is "reasonable".

I see a nice HAL Club tie-in with the partnership of BBC Earth "on-board/ featured cruise" explorations or scavenger type hunts. Might enhance CLUB HAL depending how they choose to spin it.

Overall nothing earth shattering in the presentation.

I do like the new tagline. Allows the new President and his management team to put their vision or stamp on the brand. Doesn't sound like much but it does tend to "pump up" the team members. :)

Edited by freestyling

What was the 'net net' of the announcement for a couple who typically cruises in verandah cabins, who are independent travellers that do a fair amount of on line research, and who appreciate good on board lectures? Not a lot of interest in high end suites or cruise line excursions.

I like the new logo and tagline. I think they are both fresh and clean, yet still retains a classic feel.

I anxious to use the UTRIP feature. I think it will be another useful too to get more bang out of our port time.

Personally, I appreciate the direction they are going. If companies don't try to adjust to changing markets, they will fail to thrive.

Too bad the presentation didn't come off as better rehearsed.

It just struck me that in the Army we used to call some command presentations or briefings "dog and pony" shows. I remember we had a huge gathering of 600 college and university presidents and had invited another agency head to present at the gathering. The presentation went pretty much like the HAL one we just saw and at the end of it my general looked at me across the room and mouthed "What the h***?!?!" Once we actually got together I faced the general and said "Sir, looks like he left the pony at home." :eek :eek: Luckily he laughed. :o

Dog and pony show! One of my favorite expressions.

(bold is mine) Anyone remember Peggy Lee's "Is That All There Is?"

Yes! "... then let's keep dancing, let's break out the booze...."

AHOY SHIPMATES,

Brings back Junior high school memories of Assemblies that were not rehearsed, and unprepared for a smooth presentation.

I fell asleep after the first 15 minutes. Did I miss anything?

Surprised you stayed awake those first 15 minutes because it started almost 20 minutes late. ;)

Edited by joepeka

There is always a silver lining. Remember all the speculation about what might be in store for us HAL loyalists?? Losing whole sections of the globe from their itineraries? Overly aggressive concentration on modifications to 'broaden the demographic'? While this was not worth watching again at least it was not a step backward.

This coming from a baby boomer with all his 20-30 something kids on a HAL cruise right now.

Dennis

Good point . Sometimes the best move is the one you didn't make .

Princess cruiser here....these are "major" announcements? Travel site partnerships no one has ever heard of? Am I missing something?

I'm still wondering that myself. Anyone....please help....what exactly was the announcement that was so new and revolutionary in the cruise industry? :confused:

As was already discussed upstream, the unfortunate thing about these presentations is that people have already let their imaginations run wild expecting HUGE changes to be announced....

Personally, I thought most of the additions sound nice -- the music/entertainment enhancements, the culinary experience (I hope) and the travel planning aids -- and will be a good complement to HAL's existing brand. In other words, they are not trying to reinvent what HAL is, which should make the loyalists happy, at least....

I'm still wondering that myself. Anyone....please help....what exactly was the announcement that was so new and revolutionary in the cruise industry? :confused:

The tech connections will allow you to tell the website about yourself and it will figure out which cruise you want and which excursions you want. Kinda like a dating site.

"I'm a 42-year-old Libra who likes long walks in the rain and chocolate desserts. What cruise would be right for me?"

(full discolure, I'm neither 42 nor a Libra)

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

I also like the new logo and tagline. Logo is much cleaner and more modern looking...but still very much HAL.

And this is just my two cents...but any additional info they can put online to help folks plan is a good thing. I still do my own research as far as planning excursions, itineraries and such, but it does help point you in the right direction to let you know what is available so you could pick an itinerary that really interested you.

The BBC partnership is interesting too..curious to see what that experience is like on the ships.

The new logo is much improved over the current one. It's simpler, cleaner, more elegant. That's a good addition (and I'm a professional designer).

I had to bail when he was talking about the culinary team so missed everything else.

But I'm really disappointed in HAL today. That was a junior high presentation at its best.

I agree with the rest that it certainly was not anything new and bold as promised and the presentation should have been rehearsed. Sadly I think Hal is still far too late to the game. I do like some of the enhancements but felt especially in the Q & A the Orlando is did not know enough about the company he is CEO of. I just don't think the enhancements are enough to even compete with the competition.

I think so much of the 40 Mill being spent is fluff and while needed I would have rather heard that they were spending the money on actually fixing the ships. I am hearing that none of this new money that was allocated by CCL Corp is actually going to fixing the broken ships. [emoji19] A pretty bandaid is not going to fix the problems.

Yes count me as another that was sorely disappointed but it was right up there with what I expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did anyone notice the rendering of a Sig suite on Eurodam (I think it was Eurodam)? The flat-screen faces the bed with the sofa under the TV.

Actually it's Koningsdam and I hope it isn't the new design fleet-wide.

From the news article:

The main living area in each suite will be refreshed with a new sofa, lounge chairs and desk chair. A stylish new headboard, new carpet and wall coverings will bring a contemporary feel to the suites, while new soft goods—including a privacy curtain, drapery, bed runner and bed skirt—add elegance. A new quartz stone top on the desk, dresser, nightstands and makeup vanity, along with new vanity lighting, enhance the look.

Electronic upgrades include a USB outlet added to the bed’s headboard, bedside LED lights for late-night reading, upgraded electrical outlets and a lighted closet rod. Also, a fully new interactive television system is set for installation, with free movies on demand, as well as easy access to the daily program and shipboard information such as restaurant overviews, spa services and billing.

Suite bathrooms will receive a makeover, too. A wall of designer glass tile serves as a backdrop to the new vanity area with new stone tops, modern faucets and under-mount sinks. Other enhancements are contemporary mirrors with integrated side-by-side LED lighting, stylish floor tiles and a nightlight.

YAY! ... interactive billing! Looks like only the suites though??

Cheers!

I'm not sure how much of the BBC Earth partnership is videos and how much is live speakers.

If you read the footnotes, all announcements will be delivered by Mark Sheppard, the voice of BBC America. (Geek bonus: Canton from Dr. Who. Super bonus: Bad guy on USA Network's "Burn Notice," and TNT's "Leverage. ')

I missed the presentation but from what was described and what is listed on their site it sort of sounds like they are expanding into the natgeo expeditions space. Perhaps they will offer more unique (read more expensive tours) since many of you have 'been there done that'. I would buy into smaller more interesting tours.

http://www.nationalgeographicexpeditions.com/trip-types

What does the Billboard partnership provide?

All announcements not made by Mark Sheppard, voice of BBC America, will be made by a computerized recreation of the voice of Casey Kasem.

The new logo is much improved over the current one. It's simpler, cleaner, more elegant. That's a good addition (and I'm a professional designer).

I had to bail when he was talking about the culinary team so missed everything else.

But I'm really disappointed in HAL today. That was a junior high presentation at its best.

I wonder what the cost of switching off the current HAL Logo with this new design on all the ship's funnels will cost? How about all the flags, the flatware, the dinner service, all advertising, all HAL materials on which the logo is prominent? I wonder if those dollars couldn't be better spent by upping the number of dining stewards, bar servers etc?

What is the benefit to HAL by eliminating a very historic and meaningful Logo? When there have been so many cutbacks, this doesn't seem (to me) a good use of corporate dollars.

JMO..... (and my constitutionally protected right to it. :D)

Edited by sail7seas

I’m still waiting for some announcement that was worth my time in watching the presentation… let alone my time spent in looking forward to some worthwhile new information. Ask me if I care about changes to the HAL logo or some software cataloguing shore excursions… I care about my future cruising experience and I don’t think I am alone here.

It seems to me that all the stuff discussed does not appear to have been worthy of a major press conference and could easily have been covered with a simple press release.

My basic comments are “Orlando Ashford seems like a reasonable guy and… is that all you (HAL) have to say.... wake me up when you have something interesting.” Personally, I am really disappointed in the way the entire subject choice and presentation, were handled.

Scott & Karen

Edited by CaveDiving