Ala Carte items in MDR

JuneauMe

Brilliant idea....why don't YOU research for the link why are you asking everyone else to find something you want to see

I didn't ask "everyone else" for anything, I just asked the ONE person who made a claim to show me their source...as my extensive research as shown that it does NOT exist. (I thought asking for the source would be better than simply accusing them of being a liar.)

The only reason that "everyone else" is involved is that there are simply too many people here who, knowing that NCL never did make that statement, can't resist quoting, responding, and keeping the discussion going.

Too bad either showing the link or saying absolutely nothing isn't a brilliant idea...if it was, this discussion would have ended back at post 85.Thanks for bringing it up yet again.

So if it annoys you, ignore it. Complaining about the complainers isn't going to make them go away.

No complaining about them never makes them go away; but anyone enjoying and talking about having a great time without any major issues or NCL actually succeeding without them, seem to irritate some. I guess, they're going to upset for the foreseeable future, lol. Oh, well....

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

No complaining about them never makes them go away; but anyone enjoying and talking about having a great time without any major issues or NCL actually succeeding without them, seem to irritate some. I guess, they're going to upset for the foreseeable future, lol. Oh, well....

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

If they are actually irritated by that it's there issue. It's only yours if you allow it to be.

Depends on what you define as "used to be". Quite often anymore "used to be" is used to be "LAST WEEK"..:rolleyes:

Eh, people complain that the changes are out of the blue but let's be honest people are always crusing so there's no off season to implement changes. For example the nfl has an off season where no games are played so they have time to put in place the changes.

I'm calling the "behavior" tachy. Prime rib has been on the menu forever. Is it too much to ask to have something "nice" in the MDR included with my cruise fare?

you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. To you it is tacky, I guess you think it is tacky for other lines to do it as well. Upsetting, maybe, but I certainly do not think the word "tacky" is a discription of the new policy. They had the same thing on the Jewel in the asian restaurant a few weeks ago, but it was just a few items. There were plenty of choices that were free.

The time may come when all lines will offer nothing more than a buffet unless we pay extra. There may also be a time when child care will have a charge, but when this will happen who knows. We live in a changing world. For those of us who have been cruising for 20 or more years we have seen many changes. Just like we have seen the development of technology. Some changes are good, others not, but regardless we have to adjust and learn to live with them.

I do not understand people bringing infants and toddlers on cruises, but I live with it. I realize we are not living in the olden days and everyone has new ideas. I don't like or understand people wandering through the store, or sitting in a restaurant talking on the cell phone or playing games on it, but I don't go around griping about it. I understand it is a new world. Heck, I wonder what my parents and grandparents would say if they were still here on earth. Boy would they be surprised to pay a resort tax at many hotels, even ones that are not resorts and would they be shocked to see the word Auto tips in some restaurants?

Edited by newmexicoNita

For me its not so much

about all the changes of whats included then or now but more in trying to budget for the extra costs. It just seems like every month i have to increase the budget. For example the ubp when i booked it was a free promo for the first two passengers and included gratuities and i budgeted for paying for our third person. Because there was no notification at least that i saw there is now a significant increase. And I dont know what to budget for additional costs above the udp or even how they will ultimately handle the udp plan in jan. I just feel that they need to honor the original terms and conditions at the time of booking for all aspects of the cruise. However i will roll with the changes and have a wonderful time regardless!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

We have our first NCL cruise coming up in December on the Escape...so, of course, I have no reference to what was in place previously. With that being said, if "new', higher quality items are being made available in the main dining room at an extra cost (as opposed to simply charging for items that were once included), then I don't have a problem with it and actually welcome the addition of the items. When we travel with other family members, there are, often times, when those traveling with us do not want to go to specialty restaurants or other 'for fee' restaurants. The addition of these items allows us to eat in the main dining room on some nights and still have the option to order the other items.

Edited by Chan_T

Eh, people complain that the changes are out of the blue but let's be honest people are always crusing so there's no off season to implement changes. For example the nfl has an off season where no games are played so they have time to put in place the changes.

They don't need an off season. All they need to do is announce any changes at least 120 days before they are implemented, that way no changes are made within final payment window.

So anyone who doesn't like the changes has the opportunity to cancel without penalty.

Not like the room service fee that people found out about when they got on the ship.

I don't think that's too much to ask.

They don't need an off season. All they need to do is announce any changes at least 120 days before they are implemented, that way no changes are made within final payment window.

So anyone who doesn't like the changes has the opportunity to cancel without penalty.

Not like the room service fee that people found out about when they got on the ship.

If they were to make them 120 days before they are implement, then you have those who have purchased non-returnable airfare that will still have an issue or those with FCCs, who paid for them so they are either stuck using them or losing the money for them.

Let's face it, there is no real good time to make changes (they made the itinerary changes more than a year out and folks had issues with their cruises being cancelled), but until NCL's contract changes with us, they will continue to make changes at will. We can either live with the understanding that things could change or we don't and find a cruise line or other vacation opportunity where there are no changes or where they announce them in a time frame that is acceptable to us. We as customers have the choice and the power.

I think the bigger question in all this is, "Are they no longer offering prime rib or Lobster in the MDR at least one night of the cruise?" We were just this past month on RCL Independence of the seas and they do have a seperate box with up charge meals if you like such as Lobster, surf and turf or filet Mignon. They still offered Lobster on day five for free and I have to say it was delish! The up charge meals were just a less expensive way of trying the specialty restaurant items without as much of a commitment on price. In fact on the last evening it was our anniversary and they happened to have a tent card on the table advertising that there was a break in the price of the extra fee chops filet to 13.95 instead of 16.95 and hubby and I opted for it. iT was wonderful and the same meal would have been $35 each if we had gotten it at Chops( their specialty steakhouse

Argh. I really liked the prime rib at o'sheehans on my GA cruise. Should have known it was too good to be true. NCL has been in a race to the bottom with this stuff just in the brief time I've been following the cruise industry.

they may still do this - the o'sheehans is unlikely to have weighed 16oz - I think when I had it, it was no more than 6-8oz, even less.

this sounds like NCL is offering high quality items as a pay for, and potentially may still do their specials as previously which are a lower quality or weight cut.

If they were to make them 120 days before they are implement, then you have those who have purchased non-returnable airfare that will still have an issue or those with FCCs, who paid for them so they are either stuck using them or losing the money for them.

Let's face it, there is no real good time to make changes (they made the itinerary changes more than a year out and folks had issues with their cruises being cancelled), but until NCL's contract changes with us, they will continue to make changes at will. We can either live with the understanding that things could change or we don't and find a cruise line or other vacation opportunity where there are no changes or where they announce them in a time frame that is acceptable to us. We as customers have the choice and the power.

They "could" announce that any change would commence with the release of the next schedule, but that would require a great deal of restraint/forethought given how far out they're announced.

Edited by Cauzneffct

they may still do this - the o'sheehans is unlikely to have weighed 16oz - I think when I had it, it was no more than 6-8oz, even less.

this sounds like NCL is offering high quality items as a pay for, and potentially may still do their specials as previously which are a lower quality or weight cut.

I would expect that they would increase demand by limiting supply, but that of course is just a guess.

Why would Prime Rib be asked about? It's always been an included complimentary dish.

it wasn't a daily dish though - and have people seen a 16oz boneless rib complementary? I certainly haven't had one that size in the MDR! MOst steaks/lumps of meat are probably half that size.

16-oz-prime-rib-with.jpg

They "could" announce that any change would commence with the release of the next schedule, but that would require a great deal of restraint/forethought given how far out they're announced.
To come up with changes two or so years ahead of announcing them, wouldn't really make sense for most businesses, since their budgets are on a yearly basis, not to mention that they have to adjust during the year for unforeseen issues. This is not just an issue for NCL, on Celebrity they have made some changes without notice and I would guess that other lines do as well. Again, we as consumer have the power to let them know we disagree with their practices, by not continuing to be a customer, otherwise we have to live with it.

Pulled it out of our cloud collections - this (dropbox link) here was the size of the prime rib, boneless as served on the BA in late March, 2015 - it was not 4 to 5 oz nor was it 16 oz >>>>> IMG20150322_1928.jpg

Time will tell whether something like this will continued to be served @OSH ;) - at no extra charge -

is this worth paying an upcharge in the MDR when the meal is already included paid for/part of the base cruise fare. I think not - others can & will disagree, and, I say agreed to disagree & moving on.

An 18% surcharge, if true (we don't know that for sure, yet) whatever they are labeling it - on top of the DSC, is just an insult - IMHO - others will obviously see it differently, that's fine by me ... this is an open forum, not cheerleading by armchair experts Googling the internet :rolleyes: by reading.

Edited by mking8288

Just because people may book flight more than 120 days out is not an excuse for NCL to make changes within the final payment window.

They can not control when people book flights but they can and do control when they implement changes and when the canceling penalties take affect.

They CHOOSE to implement changes with little or no notice and that shows a total disregard for their customers (IMO).

Here's the prime rib I had in O'Sheehan's on the GA in June. It had to be at least 10 oz (if you check the TR in my sig from MONTHS AGO, you'll see I mention that I felt a large man would be happy with the portion size; I'm not just saying this to up the debate ante). Don't be fooled by the GIGANTIC piece of plant life they used as garnish, I have no idea what that was about.

19302547976_8498a40bcb_c.jpg

I had expected the prime rib to be pretty bad after everything I'd read about cruise ship food, so I was pleasantly surprised to be served this (and quickly, in the casual eatery). I missed out on the days of cruising when lobster was included, and I think I may have said in the same TR, "I guess prime rib is the new lobster".

Apparently something else ... maybe pot roast described as 'braised short ribs'? ... will be the new prime rib.

Edited by perditax

Just because people may book flight more than 120 days out is not an excuse for NCL to make changes within the final payment window.

They can not control when people book flights but they can and do control when they implement changes and when the canceling penalties take affect.

They CHOOSE to implement changes with little or no notice and that shows a total disregard for their customers (IMO).

I didn't say it was an excuse. I just pointed out that if they announced changes 120 days out, there would still be customers who would have an issue with it....those who booked airfare and those with FCCs.

Yes, the do choose when they implement changes, which other cruise lines do as well and until their contract with us is changed, they will probably continue to do so. We can always choose a cruise line that we feel wouldn't make changes, but I'm afraid that they would be few and far between.

Are you telling me that a $7.95 service charge for room service would be the breaking point causing you to cancel your cruise? I don't get why people get so bent out of shape with cruise lines making changes. Other industries do it all the time as well. They are a business who need to make money otherwise they wouldn't be operating and we wouldn't have these lovely ships to go cruising on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you telling me that a $7.95 service charge for room service would be the breaking point causing you to cancel your cruise? I don't get why people get so bent out of shape with cruise lines making changes. Other industries do it all the time as well. They are a business who need to make money otherwise they wouldn't be operating and we wouldn't have these lovely ships to go cruising on.

The "so you're saying you'd cancel your cruise over X, Y or Z" argument is so played out. NCL has been doing this crap all year, way above and beyond other mass market lines. It adds up, and everyone gets to decide for themselves where their breaking point lies.

The "so you're saying you'd cancel your cruise over X, Y or Z" argument is so played out. NCL has been doing this crap all year, way above and beyond other mass market lines. It adds up, and everyone gets to decide for themselves where their breaking point lies.

My point was about the 120 days that the poster was suggesting that changes should be posted. There is no good time for a company to make a change and it was a valid question asking if NCL making a change instituting a $7.95 service charge for room service delivery would really make someone cancel their cruise. I mean it's not like they are charging for the food. If one does not want to pay the service charge there is always the buffet or MDR. But if that truly is someone's breaking point then that's their choice. A silly choice IMHO but a choice nonetheless.