Current Concierges continued discussion

Interesting how two people can have such a different opinion. My wife was on last week as well, and she is on again. Met her for lunch on turn around day and she had nothing but praise for both concierges. Granted it is crowded, but what can you do. I would definitely recommend using your vouchers in Olive or Twist. You don't seem like the type that drinks more than 3 a night

Thanks Yes you are right about the drinks but a funny thing I left out was as he was talking to me and holding the door open a gentlemen walked out with a plate of snacks and a drink? Believe me this was the first time we have had a problem. But I also feel the it varies ship to ship. I heard over 650 diamonds and above last week. For sure it was crowded between the 2 lounges.

Usually when there are so many D, D+ and P's onboard, the HD or Food/Beverage Director will open up an overflow. They did not and will not. I do hope your experience will be more pleasant than ours was.

FWIW, I'm not sure it's their call to open an overflow. Probably the HD

Which is what was posted.

• 2 weeks later...
Just got off the Liberty of the Seas. I wanted to come on this thread and voice my opinion of both Concierges (CL and DL). They were both a pathetic representation for RCL. Carlos in the CL and Anis in the DL. Neither of them got out from behind their desk to meet anyone or introduce themselves or to serve drinks.

We were on Liberty last week, and while I agree that I only saw both of them behind the desk, Carlos was almost always helping someone. In fact, he did help us learn more about one of the excursions (to see if my mother would be comfortable enough to join us), and he made sure that the refrigerator I requested just days before the cruise was there on departure day. My experience with him was similar to what I had experienced on past cruises.

I was surprised that Anis did not call us any time during the cruise to make sure we were doing OK. Since we can't take our small child to the Diamond Lounge, we only got up there once. But for all I know, he might have been busy.

You base your cruise choices depending on the current concierge? :eek:

Absolutely, I was personally so insulted by a concierge that I will never give Royal my money for a cabin on that concierge's ship as long as he is there.

Hopefully, things will change in the near future, when the new HD comes aboard.

I just had confirmation from a well-known poster on CC that Ricardo Mock is currently CL on Jewel. He is apparently being used now as a floater, filling in on different ships while the permanent concierge is on vacation. I am so happy to finally know Ricardo is well enough to continue as a concierge. Just last week on LB, we met a couple who had sailed with Ricardo in the past on NV, and were so disappointed that he was not on LB, especially when they compared his personality and service to Carlos, who did nothing to help the very poor service situation on LB.

Just got off the Liberty of the Seas. I wanted to come on this thread and voice my opinion of both Concierges (CL and DL). They were both a pathetic representation for RCL. Carlos in the CL and Anis in the DL. Neither of them got out from behind their desk to meet anyone or introduce themselves or to serve drinks.

Usually when there are so many D, D+ and P's onboard, the HD or Food/Beverage Director will open up an overflow. They did not and will not. I do hope your experience will be more pleasant than ours was.

Leaving next Sunday on Liberty. Anyone have positive interaction with Carlos?

We have never had an issue with Carlos over the years. He was always pleasant and handled any request we made of him. These reports lately about him have surprised us.

I have been on a few cruises with Carlos, most recently in October before Liberty left for Galveston.

He is one of our favorites! Not sure why all the negative comments but he was exceptional every time we have cruised with him.

We just got off of the Jewel last week and had the same great service from Ricardo!

Really didn't notice much difference between both concierge's, both were very helpful, and personable.

I have been on a few cruises with Carlos, most recently in October before Liberty left for Galveston.

He is one of our favorites! Not sure why all the negative comments but he was exceptional every time we have cruised with him.

We just got off of the Jewel last week and had the same great service from Ricardo!

Really didn't notice much difference between both concierge's, both were very helpful, and personable.

Agree just left the Jewel on the 20th and Ricardo was very personable and helpful.

I get that Carlos will be helpful if you ask him for something. But for my 3 weeks on LB, he did virtually nothing in the way of service during cocktail hours in the CL. In all my recent (say 3 years) cruises, the concierge would help take and deliver drink orders and come around with bottles to refill glasses. Not Carlos. Perhaps he was just taken aback by the sheer numbers of D+ and Pinnacles on board.

Edited by 39august

I get that Carlos will be helpful if you ask him for something. But for my 3 weeks on LB, he did virtually nothing in the way of service during cocktail hours in the CL. In all my recent (say 3 years) cruises, the concierge would help take and deliver drink orders and come around with bottles to refill glasses. Not Carlos. Perhaps he was just taken aback by the sheer numbers of D+ and Pinnacles on board.

Did he email you before cruise? (If you're in a suite)

Absolutely, I was personally so insulted by a concierge that I will never give Royal my money for a cabin on that concierge's ship as long as he is there.

I feel the same about any ship Charmaine is the concierge on. Her conceited, dismissive attitude was very hard to take. The way she spoke down to people, especially inexperienced cruises was frustrating and when called out on it, she lies.

I know we can't be 100% sure a certain concierge isn't moved after we book; but I will certainly try and make sure she isn't on any ship I am sailing, especially if it a 7 day or more sailing.

Just got off the Jewel about 2 weeks ago and Ricardo was doing Ricardo. He is always wonderful. Didn't go to the CL but the first night to say hello to him. It was just too crowded, but kept running into him all over the ship. He is such a joy.

Sorry you feel that way, we love Rahul.

Edited by John&LaLa

Sorry you feel that way, we love Rahul.

John -- you and Laura are not alone in loving Rahul. Lots of Cruise Critic folks like us and our cruising buddies do. We have cruised with him since 2010, when he was the DL Concierge. As FR is moving to FLL, we will miss cruising with him unless I can get DH to drive all the way to FLL (or Jet Blue starts service to FLL from Savannah).

Edited by SherriZ366

I have to chime in with my 2 cents worth. We have been on numerous cruises with Carlos and he is our absolute favorite!! He has gone out of his way to assist us more times then I can remember. I am really surprised that anyone has had a bad experience with him. I was sad that he left LB. Next sailing is on the Anthem and if I could hand pick my concierge, it would be Carlos. Second choice would be Denzil or Mario.

Only had one unpleasant concierge but had a great time despite his negative attitude.

I hope and expect your experience with Carlos Ortiz will be wonderful!

Happy cruising!!

Swiss

We've just received a pre-cruise email for our upcoming Oasis cruise. The current Concierges in the Suite Lounge are Federico and Ian (no last names in the letter). I'm not going to try to edit the Google document, but it needs to be updated to reflect Coastal Kitchen, which on OA is open for breakfast daily, open for a la carte lunch on sea days and "continental lunch" on port days. The only reference to complimentary beverages is from 5:00 to 8:30.

We are on the Explorer on 6th January in a GS and I was delighted to receive our Welcome email from Denzil just before Christmas. Really made my day. I asked if he could book us in to 6.30pm MyTime dining (as per our booking) and he replied the next day confirming that the request has been sent to the Dining staff. So far so good.