Poll: Are you considering your first cruise? We have a question.

editor@cruisecritic

Are you planning your first cruise? What concerns you about cruising?  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Are you planning your first cruise? What concerns you about cruising?

• I'm going to feel trapped on a ship
    • Worried about getting seasick
    • Nickel and diming, when cruise lines charge extra for things, is a turn-off
    • Cruising is too expensive for my budget
    • Ships don't stay long enough at ports
    • Ship will be too crowded, too many people in one place
    • It's such a complicated purchase; hard to figure out which ship, itinerary, and ports
    • Worried about norovirus affecting us
    • The cruise experience is too inflexible, prefer a more spontaneous holiday
    • Negative media attention for cruising has concerned me
    • There's nothing to do onboard the ship
    • Cabins are too small.
    • Other. I'll post below.

We're figuring if you've found this forum you are probably, at the very least, considering taking a cruise for the first time. What we'd really love to know: As you start to wade into the hopefully-not-too-turbulent seas of planning your first cruise vacation, what has most concerned you about taking a cruise? Please feel free to vote for as many options as apply, and we'd love to hear your comments below, too, if you feel like sharing more about your feelings about cruise travel.

And those of you who, like me, can still remember your first cruise, feel free to weigh in too about fears before taking that first voyage. Thanks.

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Edited by editor@cruisecritic

Also, the fact that my first cruise will be as a solo cruiser, so there's the extra cost, quite literally not knowing anyone and having to work it all out once on board without someone else there to bounce ideas off of. At least when I traveled to the USA I had a couple of mates with me to work it all out with!

Edited by Lifesaver1984

We're getting ready for our 10th cruise so I won't vote above, but I remember that the concerns that prevented us from cruising sooner were uncertainty about what the bottom-line cost was going to be after the onboard charges and the feeling that 8-10 hours in a port wouldn't be enough to really "experience" that place. One that contributed then and is still a factor in our decisions when considering a particular ship and itinerary is that we don't like being subjected to what some lines call "Fun."

Our fears have been alleviated with regard to the after-boarding cost (generous onboard credit helps) and we've come to terms with the reality that on a cruise a given port is actually secondary to the overall ship and shore experience. We've tried a "Fun" cruise and would reconsider only in limited situations.

Final payment is due soon for my 28th cruise and I have seven concerns:

1) How do I tell which stairs are for going up and which stairs are for going down?

2) How do I tell which photographs are mine if they don't put our names on the photographs?

3) What time is the midnight buffet?

4) How come the ships don't have cable TV?

5) Do they sell the ice sculptures in the ship's store.

6) If I find a new couch that I like in one of the stores on shore, can I bring it back home with me on the ship?

7) How come the ship does not always dock with the port side facing the dock?

Edited by Cuizer2

Before our first cruise we had cruised on Windjammer ships, you know the ones, where you hoist the sails, where you make your bunk up, that the head is somewhere on the ship, but not in your cabin..... We thought, ah this is the life for me, no connection to TV, no phones, no hot water after the fire goes out on the wood burning stove....truly going back in time to get away from our daily lives,

we were snobs.

we would thumb our noses at cruise ships.

and then a friend of ours got married on one, and asked us to share their experience- and OMG

our bunk was a king bed,

our meals were brought to us at a table

we could stroll from one end of the ship to another and people watch, or swim, or sing, or dance, or see a show

and at night there were these cute little towel animals, and chocolate on the pillow. the bed was made by invisible angels and the bathroom cleaned, and the towels changed,

and I spent one full day doing nothing but sit on the balcony, and watch islands "float" by, and flying fish flying by......

and the last night I woke to a bright star shining in my face (I am legally blind) so a bright star waking me was incredible.

and I was hooked.

I loved being one with nature on windjammers, but I loved being spoiled on a ship, and I had never felt more spoiled and cherished by a bunch of people than on a cruise ship.

plenty of cabin space, great food, and people who were enjoying themselves

privacy when I wanted and a party when I wanted and I still can turn off the phone, turn off the tv, and be one with nature when I want to be.

I don't really have any serious concerns as far as being informed goes, because I research everything to death. I swear I could be a travel agent at this point. I do think about having enough money to cover incidentals and will my credit card allow for it (ie will my cc be cut off, or declined due to limits etc) So I will have a backup plan just in case. I guess if I could pinpoint my most salient concern it would be having enough time to do everything I would like to do. We are set to sail on May 7 on the Ecstasy, our first cruise.

I have already booked our first cruise but we don't actual go until June 2016. My biggest concerns are

1. Did I pick a good room in a good location? I have no idea what it is like so I don't have a clue, just went with what I thought looked good.

2. What will dining be like? Will our table mates be cool people or will we be stuck with people and their kids? *I have nothing against kids as we have 5 children, but we are vacationing without them so I'd rather not have to sit with other peoples kids. (I hope that doesn't sound bad)

I have already booked our first cruise but we don't actual go until June 2016. My biggest concerns are

1. Did I pick a good room in a good location? I have no idea what it is like so I don't have a clue, just went with what I thought looked good.

2. What will dining be like? Will our table mates be cool people or will we be stuck with people and their kids? *I have nothing against kids as we have 5 children, but we are vacationing without them so I'd rather not have to sit with other peoples kids. (I hope that doesn't sound bad)

To answer your first question, when choosing your cabin, take a good look at the ship's deck plans to see what's above, below, on either side and across from the cabin your considering. If at all possible, try to avoid areas prone to a lot of noise, such as lounges, dining room(s), galley, and Lido deck. If you're near stairways or elevators, that may not be such a great location either. When I'm trying to choose a cabin for us, I always think of the line from "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade." "You must choose, but choose wisely."

For your second question, if after the first evening you find that you're not comfortable with your tablemates (for whatever reason), talk to the Maitre D' and see if other seating arrangements can be made. You'll only be stuck if you don't ask the Maitre D' for help.

To answer your first question, when choosing your cabin, take a good look at the ship's deck plans to see what's above, below, on either side and across from the cabin your considering. If at all possible, try to avoid areas prone to a lot of noise, such as lounges, dining room(s), galley, and Lido deck. If you're near stairways or elevators, that may not be such a great location either. When I'm trying to choose a cabin for us, I always think of the line from "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade." "You must choose, but choose wisely."

For your second question, if after the first evening you find that you're not comfortable with your tablemates (for whatever reason), talk to the Maitre D' and see if other seating arrangements can be made. You'll only be stuck if you don't ask the Maitre D' for help.

Thank you for the advice! I chose a room with rooms on each side and rooms above and below based off of all the threads I read on here! We are close to the back of the boat but there is nothing other than rooms at that end and we are not near the elevators :) We are going on Anthem and I am so excited!

Also, thanks for the heads up on talking to the Maitre D' if needed :) I didn't even think of that. We went to a couples only resort once and were seated with other people at our table and it was awesome, but then again, there were no kids at the resort :) Haha!

The only other thing I'm worried about is the food. I don't eat sauces, salad dressings, or basically anything with vinegar in it... I really hope there are some "plain" foods to pick from. :)

Hi, Chilly1470. I have definitely gone on cruises where I needed a (resting) vacation after the cruise vacation!

Carolyn

I don't really have any serious concerns as far as being informed goes, because I research everything to death. I swear I could be a travel agent at this point. I do think about having enough money to cover incidentals and will my credit card allow for it (ie will my cc be cut off, or declined due to limits etc) So I will have a backup plan just in case. I guess if I could pinpoint my most salient concern it would be having enough time to do everything I would like to do. We are set to sail on May 7 on the Ecstasy, our first cruise.

You left off "None of the above"....before our 1st cruise, I was simply excited! I hadn't found this site then, and really had no "fears" at all! I mean, we were going on a vacation! That's hardly scary!!!

For once, I have to agree with cb. Some folks really do tend to over think things. Unless there are medical, mobility, etc.. issues to be considered, just go on the "adventure" and have fun!!!:)

There's something that has perplexed me for quite awhile. If we men can get by an entire week with two pairs of shoes, why do women pack 10 pairs (or more)? :confused:

That's a really good question. Personally, both my husband and I take 4 pairs -- 1 pair of sneakers each, 1 pair of dress shoes each, 1 pair of crocs each and 1 pair of sandals each and one of those pairs we wear getting to the ship. Many of my female friends feel they need to have different shoes for each outfit. And they must wear high high heels for dresses. Plus different sandals for each day. I believe they feel a need to be stylish while most men really don't care as long as they have a pair of shoes to wear. Right or wrong we're all wired differently. And some of us (like me and my husband) refuse to pay extra weight for luggage so "things" have to stay behind.

My suggestion to first time cruisers; pack light, make do with a few pairs of shoes, and relish that first cruise.

You left off "None of the above"....before our 1st cruise, I was simply excited! I hadn't found this site then, and really had no "fears" at all! I mean, we were going on a vacation! That's hardly scary!!!

I voted "other" for exactly this reason.

I was 100% for a cruise, my husband told me "no" (more like "no way!") for several years, then surprised me with a cruise for our anniversary.

My fear was taking a cruise and loving it, then having my husband hate it.

Very fortunately for me, he liked that first one and has liked them more each time we've taken one (#4 coming up this spring).

I think I didn't know enough about cruising to have any real fears or concerns. I just wanted to get out there and do it! I'm so grateful that first one exceeded our expectations.

My fear was taking a cruise and loving it, then having my husband hate it.

This is probably my biggest concern right now, except replace "husband" with "boyfriend." I'm trying to get him involved in the planning and help decide on things to do at port, helping to shop for things we'll want to pack, etc. I think he's getting excited for it now, with less than 2 weeks to go!

My other concern is being "disconnected" because of the expense of the wifi and text/talk packages for cruising. My mother has cancer (we did not know this when we started planning) and is currently getting regular chemo and radiation treatments, and I can't help but worry about her but I also don't want my phone bill to be hundreds or even a thousand dollars because I want to check in with her. If not for worrying about her, being disconnected would not concern me much.

Ok. I'm being honest for the sake of the survey. Hopefully I'll be wrong about all of these things and I hope no one jumps all over me for having these thoughts. I never wanted to cruise but I finally gave in because my husband wanted to go on a cruise...

I'm afraid I won't have fun but I will be stuck vs on land I can go anywhere on my schedule and do whatever I want.

I'm afraid of sharing such a small room with my kids (we usually stay in condos when we vacation).

I'm afraid there will be too many ships/people in the ports and we won't get an authentic experience like when we travel alone (just us on a train or car).

I'm afraid the kids will be bored and in turn I won't get to relax.

I'm afraid the food will be bad.

I am afraid I will forget to bring something important.

Ok. I'm being honest for the sake of the survey. Hopefully I'll be wrong about all of these things and I hope no one jumps all over me for having these thoughts. I never wanted to cruise but I finally gave in because my husband wanted to go on a cruise...

I'm afraid I won't have fun but I will be stuck vs on land I can go anywhere on my schedule and do whatever I want.

I'm afraid of sharing such a small room with my kids (we usually stay in condos when we vacation).

I'm afraid there will be too many ships/people in the ports and we won't get an authentic experience like when we travel alone (just us on a train or car).

I'm afraid the kids will be bored and in turn I won't get to relax.

I'm afraid the food will be bad.

I am afraid I will forget to bring something important.

I have most of those same fears but I usually stress about that stuff no matter where we go on vacation. Also, since this is our first cruise, we are not taking our kids. I would rather get the experience and make sure it is something that we could actually do with our children and if they would enjoy it before we commit to a family cruise. I can't wait to go though and see first hand what its all about!

Although I see that many didn't choose it in the poll, norovirus is a major concern for my husband and I. He is a bit of a germophobe, so I keep trying to alleviate his fears by reassuring him that it is rare and no big deal, but maybe some of his fears have rubbed off on me because I do think about it sometimes.

The other issue for us has been expense. Most of our vacations are camping trips because we love nature and that better fit with what we could afford. We can afford a bit more now, but the cruise we have planned for next May is still a huge expense for us and may be a once in a lifetime experience.