my concern is communicating on board of Allure with my teen

InnaB

my concern is communicating on board of Allure of the Seas with my teen, there are no apps (like Iconcierge) so not sure if I should want to buy $60 cruise data for each phone from ATT or what? Or get data there? Any input would be great

:confused:

:)

Make tentative plans...tell each other where you'll be...and have meet-up times. Better to physically SEE your teen, than simply get voice confirmation! You'll meet for meals, I'm sure, and can update each other then. If your teen's plans change, they should come and tell you IN PERSON....and they'll know where you'll be, because you told them!!!!

my concern is communicating on board of Allure of the Seas with my teen, there are no apps (like Iconcierge) so not sure if I should want to buy $60 cruise data for each phone from ATT or what? Or get data there? Any input would be great

:confused:

:)

I completely get where you are coming from -- for our second cruise, our 14 and 16 YO boys will be in a separate, interior cabin. I really want to give them some freedom -- and since they've been good, hard-working kids, they've earned it. BUT....I am a little terrified! :eek: They are teenagers, and not thinking through decisions just comes with the territory.

So, we have put together a "cruise contract" for them so our expectations are clear. They will have watches, and we will have regular check-in times (especially for the first few days). They will eat meals with us (or at least check in), and port days we do as a family. They break a rule, they get some one-on-one time with us...and if they ruin our much-needed couple time, it will not be a fun time for them.

We have friends who did the same with their 16YO daughter. She missed a check-in, and spent a glorious afternoon with her loving (and demonstrative) mom and dad...who regularly checked in with the teen club and showed her everything she was missing. She was the easiest (and most responsible!) kid for the duration of the cruise...AND even wanted to hang out with them sometimes!

Hoping the boys still acknowledge us in public, and prove that our faith in them is well-placed. I don't think walkies talkies are phones are helpful, and I'd rather everyone be "unplugged" for the trip.

the ship is not THART Big.

set realistic expectations( you WILL have breakfast as a family where you will sit down and discuss the plans of the day with the daily schedule in front of you) and establish at that point distinct meet up times where they MUST report to you IN THE FLESH.

then everyone goes and does their thing. would not be a bad idea to insist that dinner be spent together at least every other day. also and this is MOST important, make sure THAT THEY NEVER EVER EVER under ANY circumstances enter ANY other cabin but their own and yours if applicable. NEVER.

same with NEVER letting a drink out of their sight.

Make tentative plans...tell each other where you'll be...and have meet-up times. Better to physically SEE your teen, than simply get voice confirmation! You'll meet for meals, I'm sure, and can update each other then. If your teen's plans change, they should come and tell you IN PERSON....and they'll know where you'll be, because you told them!!!!

the ship is not THART Big.

set realistic expectations( you WILL have breakfast as a family where you will sit down and discuss the plans of the day with the daily schedule in front of you) and establish at that point distinct meet up times where they MUST report to you IN THE FLESH.

then everyone goes and does their thing. would not be a bad idea to insist that dinner be spent together at least every other day. also and this is MOST important, make sure THAT THEY NEVER EVER EVER under ANY circumstances enter ANY other cabin but their own and yours if applicable. NEVER.

same with NEVER letting a drink out of their sight.

Excellent advise from both posters.

Read up on the smart phone app called ROYAL IQ.

We have it on our smart phones now and are looking forward to our next Royal sailing in January, 2016

We were on Allure and it wasnt active at the time but if it is active on Allure it addresses what you are asking about.

The Royal plan is to roll out the app fleetwide.

Get smart phones for everyone. Even used ones.

The wifi on allure works great just get the package and you can imessage if you have an iphone if not email works fine too. I was amazed at how well the wireless coverage is on the ship they spent a lot of $$$ to get the wireless always working and handing off with no issues.

We just got off the Anthem, and with the Royal IQ app there was the option to pay $14.95 (I assume per user) to have app to app messaging capability. We didn't purchase it, as we got the wifi package and used it to iMessage the rest of our group of friends if we needed to make arrangements for meeting for dinner etc, but I commented to my husband that it was a great idea and would have been ideal when we were on FoS with our teens in August.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few comments to add here

I wholeheartedly agree with the physical checkins for the teens. Have breakfast together and talk about your plans, then set a time for the next check in. Also wander by where they say they will be. They don't have to see you, talk to you, etc, but make sure they are where they say they would be.

We did the contract with our kids when they were younger, not necessarily to sign but we reviewed it with them prior to the cruise and then again upon boarding. The contract had rules and consequences. Had to enforce them with my son once. He learned his lesson. Go to the family board and you will get some great examples. Take what you feel pertains to you and your family.

Remember there are lots of water activities on board. Do you really want your teens carrying around a phone or walkie talkie? I know mine would be very likely to put it down to hop in the pool, go on the flowrider, etc and forget it was there and walk away. The ships really are not that big, plan your day and leave the electronics in the cabin. Yes, they can use them for pictures, etc but it doesn't have to be all the time. Planning goes a long way.

White boards. My personal pet peeve. Yes they are wonderful inside a cabin, please do not put them on the outside of your door. Do you really want your kids broadcasting to the whole ship what there plans are? If you are in separate cabins, get extra keys to both. Decide which will be the communication hub and put all notes, etc INSIDE the cabin.

We found cruising to be a great family vacation, but it does need a little planning to make it enjoyable (and safe) for all.